Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

House with no driveway, on-street parking - what to do?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭WacoKid

I live in house with no driveway. Last month eCarInfra installed a EO Mini Pro 2 for me at the front door and I use a mat to cover the cable. Approx. 1.2 metre of path to cover. I now charge every day!

SEAI covered €600 or the €1249 cost.

I have a hybrid so only need to charge max. 2.5 hours a day. I do it during the day as I work from home and the area is very quiet at this time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,266 ✭✭✭...Ghost...

The 5k subsidy needs to stay for the time being. Were it not for the subsidy, I wouldn't have purchased an EV to replace my Petrol E200. It wouldn't have been possible to then replace the Zaffy a couple months later with our second EV, because second hand prices would have been much higher. The subsidy has helped greatly bring EVs within the reach of so many people. My MIL bought an EV the same summer (2017). My SIL bought an EV the following summer. That was 4 Leafs in the family in less than a year. My BILs girlfriend got herself an Ioniq in 2017 too because it just made financial sense and was affordable thanks to the grant.

Incentives and penalties are what drive behaviours in such decisions. Getting a 0% interest loan on a new leaf is largely what made me order one. The shorter waiting period on deliveries was a factor, but cost was the big one for me.

Stay Free

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,794 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

Take the example of the LEAF, it's available in 40kWh (€29,935) and 62kWh (€36,090) versions, for the people buying the 62kWh would they have been better off buying a 40kWh for €34,935 but with that €5,000 going towards DC charging infrastructure.

We've sold 4,314 EVs this year, that represents €21,570,000 that could of been spent incentivising chargers instead of vehicles, that's double the state support provided for the 3 year eCars programme in just 3 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭sh81722

Even worse is that I think Nissan currently just trousers the 5000/uses it for 0% finance. The L40 used to start at €22k (maybe excluding the delivery) after subsidies back in 2018 when it was possible to buy a XE L40 for a while before it was discontinued. I suspect the subsidy at the moment is bad value for money.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

The subsidies work and it was way too soon to introduce the €60k cap. I brought two EVs in from the UK with zero VRT payable, these have now both supplied the used car market

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,387 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Did you just ignore this SEAI condition when you applied for the grant?

It's in the state's interest to encourage healthy eating, but it doesn't go out and buy broccoli for us. We've done too much carrot and not enough stick here.

Seriously? You reckon the state should be subsidising very expensive luxury cars for those who can well afford to pay full price themselves?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,286 ✭✭✭HBC08

Hey well I think it's good just to be having the conversation so I'm interested to hear you point of view and experience.

Something will have to give as I suspect most people (myself included) wouldn't want to pay that much for a car that makes their life more complicated than whatever car they have now.

Who knows what technology or circumstances will bring over the next decade.I think I'll be waiting for a wireless charging car or something like that,otherwise I'll be sticking with ICE.

The government can bring in all the incentives they like but if the whole thing just doesn't make sense then it won't be pursued.

I suggest the state should be subsidising every EV onto the road regardless of price, yes. It works, it's been proven to work but pulled by the inept Irish Gov. Only the idiots in Gov pull incentives whilst in adoption phase

• Registered Users Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭crisco10

The state doesn't have to provide, but it can certainly do more to support.

For example, they (via Dublin City council) could bloody well paint two parking spaces green on John Rogerson Quay. As it is, they're failing at that.

The Norwegian EV incentives:

• No purchase/import taxes (1990-)
    • Exemption from 25% VAT on purchase (2001-)
    • No annual road tax (1996-2021). Reduced tax from 2021. Full tax from 2022..
    • No charges on toll roads or ferries (1997- 2017).
    • Maximum 50% of the total amount on ferry fares for electric vehicles (2018-)
    • Maximum 50% of the total amount on toll roads (2019)
    • Free municipal parking (1999- 2017)
    • Parking fee for EVs was introduced locally with an upper limit of a maximum 50% of the full price (2018-)
    • Access to bus lanes (2005-). New rules allow local authorities to limit the access to only include EVs that carry one or more passengers (2016)
    • 50 % reduced company car tax (2000-2018). Company car tax reduction reduced to 40% (2018-) and 20 percent from 2022.
    • Exemption from 25% VAT on leasing (2015)
    • Fiscal compensation for the scrapping of fossil vans when converting to a zero-emission van (2018)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,794 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

The winding back of the VRT exemption doesn't appear to have significantly impacted sales, the market here still seems to be supply constrained so in my opinion the timing was fine.

We'll never know, the Pandemic and current surge to move away from fossil fuels due to The Ukraine is masking things.

Exactly. I got 1 Leaf from UK and the other was originally a UK car. The MIL's car was got in the UK and will be sold on in the not too distant future to someone needing little range. Same with the SILs 30kWh Leaf. No UK VRT on EVs was great.

The vast majority of EVs being sold and availing any the subsidies are not what I would call "luxury" cars. Some are, but most are just small EVs or family cars.

Stay Free

I'm saying re-target the grant to provide charging infrastructure and yous keep using examples of the VRT exemption which is notably not the grant.

If anything removing the purchase grant will increase the value of the cars you imported from the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,387 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

My comment about luxury cars was in response to the suggestion that the €60k cap on purchase price for subsidies was too low.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭Newoven

The Model 3 is a lot like an iPad - before I got one I thought they were probably unnecessary and overpriced. These days I never put the thing down. There is some extra nuisance in owning an EV and it might not suit many but I’m a low mileage driver generally and my longer journeys are mainly on the M1 and M8 which just happen to have Tesla superchargers. So no big deal if I have to stop for ten minutes for a quick top up.

The other advantages to a Model 3 and some other EVs off the top of my head;

• it’s quick, quiet, spacious. My previous Alfa Romeo Giulia diesel was slower, noisy, cramped in the back.
    • it’s pretty cheap to run. €120 road tax, half price tolls, 45kwh of electricity for Dublin to Cork cost me around €15 at supercharger prices. 15 litres of diesel would cost something like €28. Servicing costs are low.
    • the standard technology and kit is fantastic. Google maps, Spotify, Netflix, excellent cruise control and autosteer, configurable everything from seats to driver preferences, keyless entry with your phone, remote setting of the climate control, car locator, one pedal driving in traffic, blind spot cameras, built in dash cam with six cameras…..
    • it can improve through software updates without ever visiting a dealer.
    • It allows me to virtue signal my concern for the planet while still driving like a loon sometimes.

The one thing I’d change if I could is to make it look a bit better, and of course I’d never say no to a bit more range just in case. I say if you’ve never tried one get yourself a test drive. You might start to see what swayed me.

Fair enough. I'd tend to agree that cars coming in at that price point are in the lux range. However, while the owner of such cars might not need grants...if that is what swayed them to go EV over Diesel, then I think that's a good thing.

Stay Free

• Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭WacoKid

No I didn't ignore this. Nice way to ask the question though. Perhaps next time it could be phased as something like 'how did you navigate this condition...'

Anyone who wants specifics or pics happy to oblige if you PM me.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,567 ✭✭✭zg3409

In terms of new public AC chargers esb have stated they have no plans to install more public AC charge points. The councils in most areas have toyed with a few, but they are not getting realistic funding from government and they are broke themselves.

In terms of let the market decide, there is little to no commercial AC chargers going in, only those forced under planning rules, and all previous installs were subsidised. The only commercial viable seem to be DC chargers at key busy sites.

I see no real improvement coming any time soon compared to demand. In the months ahead I expect public chargers to get busier and busier, meaning those relying on public charging routinely should expect the queues to get worse. There is no overstay on public AC chargers so cars can stay for 12 or 24 hours assuming there is no parking rules restriction.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

Spotted this X5 at the weekend, in the next spot to the left. They had a cable coming out of the old coal chute at the edge of the footpath, covered with a cone. Good idea!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,266 ✭✭✭✭ted1

It’d be a good idea to remove the tow bar when not in use too.. a pet hate of mine

Stops someone backing into you perhaps?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,266 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Dangerous for cyclists and pedestrians passing between cars.

extremely dangerous in a crash as it bypasses the safety design gone into the rear of the car.

also more likely to do damage to cars as it sticks out from the rear of the car, but out of sight of the driver so it just damages cars that park behind it

I know a guy who has the auto retracting one on his 3 series. He deploys it when parked to protect his car.

I know the feeling, as I live in a place where bad drivers routinely clip my car.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,057 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

It'll be the new "but shure I need a field for me horses boss"

• Registered Users Posts: 19,673 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

The grant above 60k encouraged people to buy electric instead of fossil fuel cars, they wont spend any less but they might make a slightly more environmentally positive choice. It also bolsters the used car market with EVs 3 years down the line when they will be 30-40k cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,057 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Every person who has purchased a new EV, or an EV that was first registered in Ireland has benefited from the SEAI grant.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,673 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

not if they bought recently and it was over 60k...

• Advertisement

Good point, the cap was introduced July 1st 2021. PHEVs no longer get a grant as of the 1st Jan 2022.

Advertisement