Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Neighbourhood Watch Merged Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,086 ✭✭✭Nijmegen

Awful. I've heard of a few break ins down that end recently (one person reports a burglary and comments swing in with "me too!")

Mad that they're so brazen. Might I ask (if you know) was the alarm monitored?

I've seen some major cameras going in on particularly new builds. Your standard ring cams and so on, but one house actually had what looked like a UK yobbo car park setup hanging off the house.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

You should get involved in the local residence groups and neighborhood watch. Your eyes will be opened.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 D.Wilmott

Burglary in Fernleigh last night, apparently that's who the garda helicopter and squad cars were looking for at around 9pm.

beauf wrote: »
    You should get involved in the local residence groups and neighborhood watch. Your eyes will be opened.

There's a fairly good / active one organized through WhatsApp in my area. Sometimes it veers towards the absurd - after a bit of a panic about potential break ins, some of the lads were talking about night patrols after a fella was spotted slinking around at 3am. Turned out he was a pizza delivery guy. But for the most part it's good value for money when you tune out the nutty stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭Pat Dunne

Nijmegen wrote: »
    There's a fairly good / active one organized through WhatsApp in my area. Sometimes it veers towards the absurd - after a bit of a panic about potential break ins, some of the lads were talking about night patrols after a fella was spotted slinking around at 3am. Turned out he was a pizza delivery guy. But for the most part it's good value for money when you tune out the nutty stuff.

Err... like which Pizza place delivers at 3:00am?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭LorelaiG

Pat Dunne wrote: »

Domino's do

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,887 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Most of them. Mizzoni go to 4 most places

Pizza is pretty much all you can get delivered at that hour. The driver was indeed for one of the two chains mentioned. Hope we haven't ruined your diet now

• Registered Users Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭Pat Dunne

Pizza is pretty much all you can get delivered at that hour. The driver was indeed for one of the two chains mentioned. Hope we haven't ruined your diet now

Cheers, it’s now obvious to me, that I lead a sheltered life. As Pizza wouldn’t go down too well for breakfast, as I’m often getting up at that time for work. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,963 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

As Pizza wouldn’t go down too well for breakfast,

Don't knock it until you've try it!

• Advertisement

Cheers, it’s now obvious to me, that I lead a sheltered life. As Pizza wouldn’t go down too well for breakfast, as I’m often getting up at that time for work. :)

The only acceptable breakfast pizza is cold pizza, and I'm not sure how you order that.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,241 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

D.Wilmott wrote: »
    Burglary in Fernleigh last night, apparently that's who the garda helicopter and squad cars were looking for at around 9pm.

Ahhh, that's what that was.

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Gio2

My house in Waterville was broken into a couple of weeks ago also. A few done in the area on same day. Used a crow bar to force the front door at 12 noon with loads of my neighbours at home at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,241 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

LorelaiG wrote: »
    Domino's do

May that never change

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

Gio2 wrote: »
    My house in Waterville was broken into a couple of weeks ago also. A few done in the area on same day. Used a crow bar to force the front door at 12 noon with loads of my neighbours at home at the time.

Really awful, I'm so sorry.

Where brute force is engaged really there's nothing you can do. New builds have really high quality steel framed doors with multiple locking points, the rubber seals of windows are enclosed and not easy to take out, etc etc. So burglars have taken to just smashing in an entire window. Saw a video of it in another estate (think it might be somewhere in this thread) and it happened to someone in my own estate.

What they're banking on is really slow reaction times by police even if you have a monitored alarm, and no reaction time from neighbors via a whatsapp group or similar. And sadly, I think they're on the correct side of that bet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭BohsCeltic

Really awful, I'm so sorry.

Where brute force is engaged really there's nothing you can do. New builds have really high quality steel framed doors with multiple locking points, the rubber seals of windows are enclosed and not easy to take out, etc etc. So burglars have taken to just smashing in an entire window. Saw a video of it in another estate (think it might be somewhere in this thread) and it happened to someone in my own estate.

What they're banking on is really slow reaction times by police even if you have a monitored alarm, and no reaction time from neighbors via a whatsapp group or similar. And sadly, I think they're on the correct side of that bet.

Yes i'd presume they already know slow police reaction and neighbours too afraid to get involved.
    I don't have an alarm on my home. I have two dogs. Best of luck to anyone trying to get in :)

https://www.thesun.ie/news/4854342/gardai-quiz-man-raped-robbed-dublin-home/amp/?__twitter_impression=true

"RAPE PROBE Gardai quiz man after young woman raped and robbed by intruder in west Dublin home"

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,044 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

God that is horrific Gav.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,044 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

Car broken into at about 5.30am in Whitestown Walk (on a cul de sac), passenger window smashed, handbag taken from the car.

GARDAÍ ARE INVESTIGATING multiple burglary incidents in the Dublin 15 area believed to be carried out by the same gang.

A number of homes in the Castleknock area Dublin were targeted on New Year’s Eve while homes around wider area were also hit in the first days of 2020.

Gardaí believe that the same criminal gang, believed to be from Eastern Europe, have been carrying out the crimes.

https://www.thejournal.ie/burglary-gangs-castleknock-dublin-4954850-Jan2020/

Really large number of Garda vehicles blue lighting past Hollystown and Tyrrelstown in the past five minutes and can still hear them going around. Odd.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Really large number of Garda vehicles blue lighting past Hollystown and Tyrrelstown in the past five minutes and can still hear them going around. Odd.

Going which direction?

eviltwin wrote: »
    Going which direction?

Hollystown to Tyrrelstown. Thought it might have been a convoy for something but odd they were blaring the sirens.

• Registered Users Posts: 864 ✭✭✭septictank

Some gang stuff going on out coolock way, body found, well most of it, so probably ERU or something like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭Nolimits

Helicopter flying overhead too, I'm in briarwood.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭sm3ar

So many cars being abandoned in Ongar right now. Even in areas where clamping is supposed to be happening. Its turning into a dumping ground.

Advertisement