Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Neighbourhood Watch Merged Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,086 ✭✭✭Nijmegen

AlanG wrote: »
    A gang are targeting catalytic converters around the Carpenterstown and Delwood Area recently. According to the Gardaí they are going road by road. The got one near the train station at 11 last night before being spotted. Not much anyone can do but be vigilant.

Seen videos from security cameras of this done recently in my estate. Amazing how quick and efficient of a job it looks.

This “Inside the K” show on virgin media really does show the class of scummer we have in pockets around the area. Sad that the program is giving us a bad name with a broad brush.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,818 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Nijmegen wrote: »
    This “Inside the K” show on virgin media really does show the class of scummer we have in pockets around the area. Sad that the program is giving us a bad name with a broad brush.

Your point there is basically a contradiction in terms.

I see a few on twitter extremely offended with how "their area" is being portrayed, but if you watch it with a sense perspective you can't argue with

a) none of the incidents shown are sensationalised, we've discussed most of them on this thread and there has been a well highlighted escalation of violence in certain areas in recent years

b) in the interview sections of the programme many of the Guards went out of their way to talk about the decent ordinary majority in the district just living their lives. They even started the show by saying they police an area of 175,000 population. Even if there's say 100 people out of that involved in serious gang crime its a massive policing challenge.

It'd be far better for the pearl clutchers on twitter to turn their energy to grilling their public representatives as to why this Garda area is at the pin of its collar for resources and why the Courts don't represent an effective deterrent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

It will be interesting to see do they do other areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭LorelaiG

beauf wrote: »

They're doing Finglas Blanchardstown and Cabra as that's what the K district encompasses.

• Advertisement

I mean will the programme do any other districts in another run.

Larbre34 wrote: »
    Your point there is basically a contradiction in terms.

I see a few on twitter extremely offended with how "their area" is being portrayed, but if you watch it with a sense perspective you can't argue with

a) none of the incidents shown are sensationalised, we've discussed most of them on this thread and there has been a well highlighted escalation of violence in certain areas in recent years

b) in the interview sections of the programme many of the Guards went out of their way to talk about the decent ordinary majority in the district just living their lives. They even started the show by saying they police an area of 175,000 population. Even if there's say 100 people out of that involved in serious gang crime its a massive policing challenge.

It'd be far better for the pearl clutchers on twitter to turn their energy to grilling their public representatives as to why this Garda area is at the pin of its collar for resources and why the Courts don't represent an effective deterrent.

So if you're not from Blanch/D15 you probably don't know that a cop on a stroll in parts of D15 that are a 15 minute walk from where some of that was filmed are lovely, family driven, law abiding areas. I think the impression I'd get was that there's these law abiding citizens living on the same street as these scummers, every street over in D15. They might have just contextualised that a little, is all I'd say. There's no denying that some people in some parts of the community are honest to god dregs of society and they are clustered.

I'd completely agree with your main point tho. I was watching the cop getting told by a fella he was a coward and he'd love to ride him around the place. Frankly, that sort of an attitude caught on a body camera (let alone having a TV crew there) should be enough to have you reefed over the gate and sent to an uncomfortable place for a period of time. But we know that even when you commit real crimes and get 5 or 7 years, you'll likely be out in much less and then back up before a judge with your 57 previous convictions for another slap on the wrist for something else.

We need more gardai, tougher laws, tougher sentences and the proper prison capacity to house these scummers. I'd build tent cities with double fences and armed guard towers for them if needs be to get capacity, and impose a rule that once you pass a certain number of convictions you go in forever (and lets face it, in Ireland we could set that quite high and still dragnet a lot of these people into permanent isolation). I hate seeing scum like that free to roam the streets and terrorise communities, as we see in threads like this with burglaries and robberies and all the rest, typically committed by people well known to Gardai and the courts.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,744 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

septictank wrote: »
    Lots of products like this available, Garages will put them on for you, or their version of these locks.

https://www.vtstore.co.uk/accessories/security/catshield-catalytic-converter-anti-theft-device

Only useful if they're trying to get one quickly. Otherwise - normal scenario of a car parked somewhere quiet - it just increases the repair cost due to greater damage.

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭glossy

They've done store street, montjoy and I think Pearse street a couple years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭not yet

It's called inside the K, so I don't it.:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Miss cops on tv

not yet wrote: »
    It's called inside the K, so I don't it.:D

They could alter the name for another series. I'm not seeing why that would be impossible.

Probably won't be another though...

Do Gardaí seriously refer to it as “The K” all the time or is that a makey uppey for TV thing? Had never heard this expression before now.

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭Typer Monkey

Nijmegen wrote: »
    Do Gardaí seriously refer to it as “The K” all the time or is that a makey uppey for TV thing? Had never heard this expression before now.

Yes. All Garda Districts are named after letters of the alphabet and Gardaí refer to the Districts as such. The letter is on their shoulders. Pearse Street is 'The B' etc. There's no reason why people outside the job would be aware of the Districts names

Yeah the Guards have regions, divisions and districts.

Our Region is Dublin Metropolitan (DMR) headed by an Assistant Commissioner.

Division is DMR West, headed by a Chief Super.

District is K, neighbouring districts are Q centred on Lucan and L based in Clondalkin (maybe Ballyfermot these days). Districts are headed by a Superintendent.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Is the K on the gardas lapel an indication of their division

Edit answered my own question:

https://www.garda.ie/en/About-Us/Organisational-structure/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,806 ✭✭✭billie1b

Pinch Flat wrote: »
    Is the K on the gardas lapel an indication of their division

Edit answered my own question:

https://www.garda.ie/en/About-Us/Organisational-structure/

Yeah the K district covers Blanch, Cabra and Finglas, it’s then (or was at least) broke into the 3 sections, Kilo Alpha, Kilo Bravo and Kilo Charlie. Kilo Charlie is Blanch, Kilo Bravo Finglas and Kilo Alpha Cabra, or vice versa for the last 2, I can never remember. Usually the sergeants will just wear the K (Kilo).

Thanks all! I knew they had their numbers with denomination to where they worked, just never heard it then used in that way, ala "I'm off to the K". But hey at least now we all know we can ominously tell people we're from "The K" :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,688 ✭✭✭horse7

If you park near the Whitesgates entrance to the phoenix park beware,some gougher is smashing the car window and stealing stuff from the cars. One today about 1pm and one two weeks ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Just as a general shout out, keep an eye out for elderly or sick neighbours. Some might not be able to get to the shops or reluctant to do so given the current situation.

• Advertisement

No k division on TV tonight?

horse7 wrote: »
    No k division on TV tonight?

They pulled it due to the very sensitive content relating to mental health, suicide etc. Right call to be honest, the nation doesn't need to be addressing that albeit very worthwhile topic tonight.

https://twitter.com/VirginMediaIE/status/1240377253365760002?s=20

Very appropriate decision.

I wish RTE had been so circumspect when they screened 'Rosie' as the evening movie on what was already the most depressing Paddys Day since the man himself died 1300 years ago.

Lidl in the town centre need to police the 2 metre queue in their store, an individual came 2 feet behind me and when I asked her if she was familiar with the 2 metre gap,she replied fxxx off.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,011 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

Two off-topic posts removed, no need to get snarky with each other here.

horse7 wrote: »
    Lidl in the town centre need to police the 2 metre queue in their store, an individual came 2 feet behind me and when I asked her if she was familiar with the 2 metre gap,she replied fxxx off.

If you actually phrased it "are you familar with...." I'd have told you the same.

I don't think there was any need for the language,

Know your audience. Someone that ignorant doesn't care about your sarcasm or about spreading the virus. I'm surprised the replies thus far think the bigger issue was the sarcasm in your story. But attack the poster seems the default for many on boards.

Shops can't control this. It's really about social responsibility. This far I've found most people to be amazing in this regard. Some morons around for sure though.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,011 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

Lads this has nothing to do with Neighbourhood Watch, back on topic please :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭Pat Dunne

miamee wrote: »
    Lads this has nothing to do with Neighbourhood Watch, back on topic please :)

Why not spilt it off and make it a new topic?

Advertisement