Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storm Brendan Monday 13 Jan 2020 ** See Mod note in OP before posting**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭aisling86

There was a lull in cork city but its after ramping up big time in the last few minutes

• Registered Users Posts: 8,538 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Squall line has passed Waterford city, back to your normal windy day now. Will wait for the 1.30 reports to see if 61kts was exceeded.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭JackieChang

Tiniest storm I've ever seen. Was windy for about 20 minutes in cork city this morning. Completely calm now.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

At the rate the squall line is moving, would say most of Kildare will get the severe storm conditions being reported from points west around 1:30 to 1:45 pm, Laois and Carlow more like 1:15 to 1:30. Then into Dublin and Meath by 2:00 to 2:30 p.m. ... effects of mountains for Wicklow coast may be to split the feature so that they get two squally intervals.

Currently thinking that round two for parts of the northwest will not be quite as intense as the first part of the storm although close perhaps. That second round will only be a bit of an afterthought for west Munster and south coast.

Thank you as always MT for this update.

We will be collecting our lads between 1.40 to 3pm and it’s good to be prepared in the event of one of these squalls. You said it will pass Meath (Bettystown) Batween 2-2.30 so Ive taken measures to be ready. Even just knowing it gets intense for a few minutes and then passes is helpful.

I’ve also warned friends who maybe collecting children. You would br worried sitting in a car waiting for that to pass if you didn’t know it was only for a few mins.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Ferocious wind and sideways rain in Mullingar town, dreading the commute home. Thinking of you Graces7 x

Kind lady... Did not realise there was going to be a second wave so there goes my nap ! Finally all the cats are safe in and fed; 2 had been hiding in a storage unit

Lighting a candle for a safe drive home for you and all others...So blessed to be at home full time..

and here comes the squall.. Loud and clear..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭easypazz

Tiniest storm I've ever seen. Was windy for about 20 minutes in cork city this morning. Completely calm now.

A trampoline landing on a motorway appears to have been the highlight.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

I see the trolls are out in force on this thread today.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

Drumpot wrote: »
    Thank you as always MT for this update.

We will be collecting our lads between 1.40 to 3pm and it’s good to be prepared in the event of one of these squalls. You said it will pass Meath (Bettystown) Batween 2-2.30 so Ive taken measures to be ready. Even just knowing it gets intense for a few minutes and then passes is helpful.

I’ve also warned friends who maybe collecting children.
    I just got in from Seville. We even got the Yer Early klaxon. I think we might have beaten the worst of the gusts that MT is talking about. Good pilots and great systems make flying into bad weather look waaay easier than the experience might otherwise be. Clearly, we had a very good one today. I've seen waaaay more adverse effects of big wind at manys an Ard Fheis over the years. ..

Now we just need to face the journey down the Wesht. ..

Be safe y'all. And Micky, give them pilots a bonus for their great work on days like this...

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Squall line just went through Carlow town, intense rainfall for a few minutes, 98kmh gust at Oak Park before it hit so interesting to see next update.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,161 ✭✭✭✭M5

Barely a breeze here in north kildare.

499904.jpg

My weather station in Kilcock begs to differ...

Sustained 60kph winds, gust 70

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Eileen Magner on rte radio news just now " Its pretty miserable here in Sligo" and that was before she even started talking about the weather...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,022 ✭✭✭jamesbere

Pangea wrote: »
    Eileen Magner on rte radio news just now " Its pretty miserable here in Sligo" and that was before she even started talking about the weather...

Bah dum tish

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Laurali

I see the trolls are out in force on this thread today.

Hurricane force

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭Cw85

Villain wrote: »
    Squall line just went through Carlow town, intense rainfall for a few minutes, 98kmh gust at Oak Park before it hit so interesting to see next update.

Was that it? Was expecting worse from a squall line i.e thunder etc. Is that the worst over now for Carlow or is the second band later coming this far east?

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭laguacamaya

Just back from the Prom in Galway. As wild as I've seen it in a long time. A genuine struggle walking with that squall blowing in from the sea. No-one else to be seen (Not even the hardy Jehovah's ;-) )...Has calmed down considerably now.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,849 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Always hard to get these things right. I fear parts of the west got hit hard, but Dublin was just a bad day. Nothing special compare to other winter days in the past.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,688 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

l

Currently thinking that round two for parts of the northwest will not be quite as intense as the first part of the storm although close perhaps. That second round will only be a bit of an afterthought for west Munster and south coast.

That's a bit disappointing, as i was hoping with the low moving away we might get even stronger winds for a time. It's just a pity the low did not track a bit closer to us. I know a lot of people will be thankful it did not.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭h2005

Saturday was alot worst in Dublin

I played golf Saturday. I don't remember it being anywhere near as bad as this!

• Registered Users Posts: 930 ✭✭✭Daz_

Graces7 wrote: »
    Kind lady... Did not realise there was going to be a second wave so there goes my nap ! Finally all the cats are safe in and fed; 2 had been hiding in a storage unit

Lighting a candle for a safe drive home for you and all others...So blessed to be at home full time..

and here comes the squall.. Loud and clear..

Milking it now !

• Registered Users Posts: 5,987 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

Got one big rap of thunder and about a 3 minute hail shower here in Wexford seems to have passed over now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭silver2020

Kildare (Newbridge) being battered as we speak

• Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭have2flushtwice

That's a bit disappointing, as i was hoping with the low moving away we might get even stronger winds for a time. It's just a pity the low did not track a bit closer to us. I know a lot of people will be thankful it did not.

Hoping for stronger winds..... Obviously you don't have anything to worry about!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,382 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

From radar would say it's a broken squall line meaning it has some gaps that are not that intense. Expecting some reports of damaging winds in Wexford though.

Earlier the Kinsale energy platform had gusts to 135 km/hr. That is of course some height above the sea surface. The M5 buoy was reporting gusts to 96 km/hr. Unfortunate that the M6 buoy has not been reporting wind data today. But its lowest pressure came around 1100h at 955 mb.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,977 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

Roof Tiles flying off in Dublin 18, nearly hit the car!

8lPvrJu

• Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭squarecircles

im not sure how much longer will have power here,its raging outside again,coastal west Mayo has taken a battering.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,965 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Always hard to get these things right. I fear parts of the west got hit hard, but Dublin was just a bad day. Nothing special compare to other winter days in the past.

The day is only halfway through, you know.

The squall line is only heading for eastern counties now.

Why the rush to be so smart?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,849 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

h2005 wrote: »
    I played golf Saturday. I don't remember it being anywhere near as bad as this!

Again I said early sat morning, doubt you were playing early sat morning as it was still dark. From about 630 - 8 30 it was pretty bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,748 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Things hace gone quiet in the last few minutes here in Laois.. there's even a brighter sky visible.

Guessing that's it then?

Cw85 wrote: »
    Was that it? Was expecting worse from a squall line i.e thunder etc. Is that the worst over now for Carlow or is the second band later coming this far east?

Looks like it. Meath, North Kildare, then Dublin & Louth possibly to get squall line conditions next.

499907.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,382 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

From the looks of details on 06z GFS there is one area of the core about 100 miles north of Belmullet now, where winds might be as strong as 80 knots. It is a good thing this didn't track any closer. When I say part two not as strong, still may be similar peak gusts but less squally so it may seem like it's not as intense.

Advertisement