Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storm Brendan Monday 13 Jan 2020 ** See Mod note in OP before posting**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭torres9kop

Sea spraying up onto road coast rd Sandymount . What time is high tide in Dublin 4??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭Assetbacked

The Liffey is maybe a metre and a half away from overflowing at the Convention Centre in Dublin. Tied still going in.

I'll try to take a few photos and a video when I'm out for my lunch in half an hour. Nothing to worry about yet but certainly it is higher than it normally gets to, even on a particularly rainy day. 2013 was the last time I saw it overflow at the Beckett Bridge.

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭mobil 222

littlema wrote: »
    Oh Holy God......was just trundling along but have just been sand blasted by rain/hail despite the fact that it’s brightening up over in the west.
    S Sligo 152m asl

The rain the donegal side of sligo town is unbelievable at the moment.
    Wind seems to have changed direction as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,965 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

torres9kop wrote: »
    Sea spraying up onto road coast rd Sandymount . What time is high tide in Dublin 4??

About half an hour - high tide in Dublin North Wall is 1311

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭Cloudio9

DOCARCH wrote: »
    Seems to be quite a difference between south and north Dublin in 1200 reports.

Casement gusting 107 km/h whereas Dublin AP gusting 63 km/h.

So much for Dublin mountains shielding Dublin. Casement is very close to the mountains.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,646 ✭✭✭greenpilot

Stay safe.

What's the name of the vessel?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭John Hutton

Just a little blustery in Drogheda currently. Feeling like I should have gone to work

• Registered Users Posts: 11,593 ✭✭✭✭klose

Currently raining sideways in clonmel

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭US2

Mr E wrote: »
    Would a breeze do this?
    Near Castletroy exit on Motorway.

https://twitter.com/UL/status/1216687237166964736

Ya it would. Those yokes are like balloons when not tied down. All 12pm reports show yellow warning breeze for us.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭tnegun

Cloudio9 wrote: »
    So much for Dublin mountains shielding Dublin. Casement is very close to the mountains.

The mountains are to the east of Casement right?

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭KingdomRushed

Strong winds now in the port area in Dublin. Not the strongest I've seen down here, but notable. Sustained too. Quite a powerful storm surge visible in the bay. Looking at the weather radar, I would say peak winds are arriving in Dublin now, and will be in place until 3pm or so.

With regards the second wave of wind, expected to be particularly impactful in Mayo, is there a sense this is still tracking slightly further south than forecast?

Overall winds seem very closely in line with Met Eireann expectations.

Just walked Eyre square, a bit miserable, but the rain’s finished. Not blown off the hinges, but that could be the the shelter from buildings.

About to stand out on the roof of the multi-storey car park....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭Cloudio9

tnegun wrote: »

No pretty much directly south

• Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭squarecircles

Violent winds rising again west Mayo coast

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭mikep

klose wrote: »
    Currently raining sideways in clonmel

You are pretty much under the squall line now..

Will be intense but won't last too long..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,223 ✭✭✭Sam Quentin

The impact of tides could be a lot more relevant than the wind. Albeit very localized. Any cars floating in Galway yet?

I would find in bizarre if any insurance company still covers anyone who enters a car-park(during any alert) near the promenade in Salthll and gets totalled by flood water!?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

Just in off the golf links here in North Dublin. Complete non event so far. I usually take a bit of inclement weather as an opportunity to practice playing in such conditions, but this didn’t work out this morning. Didn’t even have to put on the wet weather gear.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,712 ✭✭✭✭josip

tnegun wrote: »

Yes and the wind is from south/south west.
    This is why weather alerts have to be colour coded.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,208 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Strong winds now in the port area in Dublin. Not the strongest I've seen down here, but notable. Sustained too. Quite a powerful storm surge visible in the bay. Looking at the weather radar, I would say peak winds are arriving in Dublin now, and will be in place until 3pm or so.

With regards the second wave of wind, expected to be particularly impactful in Mayo, is there a sense this is still tracking slightly further south than forecast?

Overall winds seem very closely in line with Met Eireann expectations.

Just saw a tweet from Dublin port, they suspended operations so it's starting to get rough down there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,904 ✭✭✭✭zell12

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 247 ✭✭car_radio19834

Are people exaggerating things here? Salthill prom has been re-opened hours ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭KingdomRushed

Interesting that the ESB powercheck is showing a notable cluster of outages running from Lucan in west Dublin, through to North meath. Has this area been subjected to a localised more severe wind than other inland areas?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 247 ✭✭car_radio19834

Interesting that the ESB powercheck is showing a notable cluster of outages running from Lucan in west Dublin, through to North meath. Has this area been subjected to a localised more severe wind than other inland areas?

Barely a breeze here in north kildare.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,965 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Are people exaggerating things here? Salthill prom has been re-opened hours ago.
    It's low tide at the moment.

I'm guessing it might be closed again this evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,533 ✭✭✭iceage

Tremendous flash of lightning and a huge crack of thunder right over Clonmel Co. Tipperary!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Met Éireann aviation chart has these fronts racing eastwards at 45 knots.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,538 ✭✭✭Speak Now

113kph current max gust in Waterford airport.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,142 ✭✭✭pad199207

This is easily the worst storm since Ophelia here in Kildare. Gusts are getting very big now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,513 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

Is there any particular part of the front to expect the strongest winds front wise? As the rain comes in, during it, or the back edge?

Advertisement