Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nest Hello Doorbell Install

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,646 ✭✭✭54and56

Is there any difference in the install process between buying the doorbell via google or buying one via ebay like the below for example?

https://www.ebay.ie/itm/NEST-Hello-Video-Doorbell-HD-video-Compatible-with-Google-Home-Amazon-devices/193286077748?hash=item2d00bf7d34:g:jikAAOSwyR1eD2Cp

Don't think so but you need to be sure the vendor is legit. How can he be selling genuine Nest Hello cameras for so much less than Google?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,729 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

54and56 wrote: »
    Don't think so but you need to be sure the vendor is legit. How can he be selling genuine Nest Hello cameras for so much less than Google?

I got my one for £20 less than that price. Now it was black Friday but it's still an example on how the Google store over price some of their device's.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Antoinejh

I've just installed the hello with the Garo 8/12/24 transformer, set to 24v. The hello works fine but my existingchime doesn't ring at all. The settings are correct in the app. The chime is new, Garo bim85, it runs on 12v too. I'm wondering if I need to get an 8v chime instead?

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭MagicBusDriver1

Antoinejh wrote: »
    I've just installed the hello with the Garo 8/12/24 transformer, set to 24v. The hello works fine but my existingchime doesn't ring at all. The settings are correct in the app. The chime is new, Garo bim85, it runs on 12v too. I'm wondering if I need to get an 8v chime instead?

Change the transformer to 12v. Mine runs fine at 12v and is supported by nest.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,475 ✭✭✭micks_address

Transformer should be fine. I assume your chime worked before the nest? Did you insert the nest wires in the chime? Chime rings if circuit is complete so maybe your circuit is broken somewhere? I've 12 volt chime with 24 v transformer all works fine..

Plenty of reports if hello dropping off WiFi if the voltage is lower than 16

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 Antoinejh

Switched it back to 12 v. No joy. I think its the connector as it works without it but the chime moves constantly. Will contact Google.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Gargled

Plugged my nest in to a very old transformer (thinking it wouldn’t work - even had the replacement transformer ready) and it’s up and running fully. Video, notifications, everything. The app even says 0 volts but the problem is that my chime doesn’t work either after putting in the chime connection.

Gargled wrote: »
    Plugged my nest in to a very old transformer (thinking it wouldn’t work - even had the replacement transformer ready) and it’s up and running fully. Video, notifications, everything. The app even says 0 volts but the problem is that my chime doesn’t work either after putting in the chime connection.

Google have disabled the voltage monitoring function in the app, that's why it's reading 0. See https://support.google.com/googlenest/thread/16045784?hl=en&msgid=20164141

It's frustrating that Google can't handle the load these readings were putting on their database :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 884 ✭✭✭zefer

Antoinejh wrote: »
    Switched it back to 12 v. No joy. I think its the connector as it works without it but the chime moves constantly. Will contact Google.

I have the same problem, can't get it to work at all. Brand new transformer.

Weird thing was, it worked kind of originally but was very sporadic when it would ring. Now not ringing at all when bell is pressed

• Registered Users Posts: 9,010 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

zefer wrote: »
    I have the same problem, can't get it to work at all. Brand new transformer.

Weird thing was, it worked kind of originally but was very sporadic when it would ring. Now not ringing at all when bell is pressed

Same here. Would do the ding but not the dong if you get me !

Now not working at all

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 884 ✭✭✭zefer

Same here. Would do the ding but not the dong if you get me !

Now not working at all

What connections you have on your chime?
    Mine is like below which nest instructions dont seem to recognise!

OF, 1
    T3

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Gargled

Actually, since I don’t need the transformer (and the electrical shop was a bit out of the way) would anyone be interested in buying it from me and I’ll post it? DM me if so.
    Gargled wrote: »

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭RTT

Hi folks,

Currently in the US for a few days and I was pricing the Nest Hello which is a bit cheaper than back home. Is there any downside to purchasing a us version and would it work ok in Ireland? Thanks in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,475 ✭✭✭micks_address

Mine came from the US, no downside as far as i can see
    RTT wrote: »
    Hi folks,

Currently in the US for a few days and I was pricing the Nest Hello which is a bit cheaper than back home. Is there any downside to purchasing a us version and would it work ok in Ireland? Thanks in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭garion

RTT wrote: »
    Hi folks,

Mine came from the US too and also no issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭RTT

Thanks guys. Bought one this afternoon.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭dingding

I got mine from an ebay seller in the US in advance of the launch here. Never had any issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Rooster86

Have the NEST doorbell and it's working well
    Only issue is there is a ton of static noise coming from the bellbox inside our hall.
    Anyone know a sparky who is good with the NEST products ?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,537 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Rooster86 wrote: »
    Have the NEST doorbell and it's working well
    Only issue is there is a ton of static noise coming from the bellbox inside our hall.

Do you mean the “consumer unit” (fuse board) ??

If so it could be the transformer. Some buzz loudly, as these units are non serviceable the only solution is to replace them. Luckily they are not too expensive (around €20).
    Anyone know a sparky who is good with the NEST products ?

Any half decent electrician should be ok. There is very little to installing Nest products.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

I've bought lots of products in the USA.
    The issue with Google stuff is power supplies, it's not really an issue here as you provide your own.

I've had USA bought ring and nest doorbells without issue.

• Advertisement

I'm getting a lot of "Camera offline' messages over the last 10 days or so. Mostly the outages last 10-15 minutes then everything is back online but today I had an outage that lasted several hours.

No other WiFi connected devices are losing connection during the Nest outage periods.

Anyone else have similar problems recently?

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭nialldinho

I'm getting a lot of "Camera offline' messages over the last 10 days or so. Mostly the outages last 10-15 minutes then everything is back online but today I had an outage that lasted several hours.

No other WiFi connected devices are losing connection during the Nest outage periods.

Anyone else have similar problems recently?

I’ve had it twice over the last few nights. Only saw the mails in the mornings.

Also have had to sign back in via google a few times which is very annoying

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

2011 wrote: »
    Do you mean the “consumer unit” (fuse board) ??

If so it could be the transformer. Some buzz loudly, as these units are non serviceable the only solution is to replace them. Luckily they are not too expensive (around €20).

Any half decent electrician should be ok. There is very little to installing Nest products.

https://www.screwfix.ie/p/garo-8-12-24v-1a-bell-transformer/716hk?_requestid=150329

That'll do the trick for you. If you are getting a buzz make sure you don't have a delay in the electric chime, this will keep the transformer active and might give a buzz

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭sullydublin

Hi all,

Just looking for confirmation that this transformer will need to be replaced for a Nest Hello?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭MagicBusDriver1

Hi all,

Just looking for confirmation that this transformer will need to be replaced for a Nest Hello?

Thanks

It meets the requirements. 12v works fine for me but others had issues.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

I had an 8v transformer and it was enough to power the camera but not enough to ring the bell as well, I was going to just use the Google Home announcements but that was WAY too loud so I picked up the transformer above in Screwfix and that did the trick. There was a bit of a buzz but that was because of the delay I had set int he app, once I cleared that it's perfect.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Hi all,

Thanks

I'd replace it. My 12 V worked , but it worked better when I upgraded it to 24V

This might explain some of the recent "camera offline" messages I've been getting.

https://www.theverge.com/2020/2/25/21152534/nest-cameras-outage-google-security

• Registered Users Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭BobbyT28

This might explain some of the recent "camera offline" messages I've been getting.

https://www.theverge.com/2020/2/25/21152534/nest-cameras-outage-google-security

I got an email last night from Google to say I would be receiving a €5 refund as a Google nest aware subscriber.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭sullydublin

Stoner wrote: »
    I'd replace it. My 12 V worked , but it worked better when I upgraded it to 24V

I'm comfortable with installing items but when it comes to a fuse board I tend to lean on a qualified electrician. How much would it cost to upgrade the transformer?

Advertisement