Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nest Hello Doorbell Install

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭RunDMC

BobbyT28 wrote: »

Any do this? I take it the bell just needs the power to it and wife and will notify us through the 4 Google homes we have plotted around the house instead of using the chime.

The only problem with that is that you won't get a chime if the internet connection or wifi is not working
    Can you at night time choose what Google home the chime comes on, i.e we have Google homes in the kids rooms and I wouldn't want to have them going off at night if door bell is rang, I would prefer to have that happen during the day u til 7pm and then after that if the bell is rang that the home hub in living room/kitchen will chime.

You can set a Do Not Disturb schedule on each device via the Google Home app.
    Was hoping that there was some sort of IFTTT or hue integration so that if the bell is rang the lights in the living room flash or something like that.

BobbyT28

Not any more, the had a falling out over the switch from "Works with Nest" to "Works with Google Assistant" programmes and the Nest applets in IFTTT no longer work.

R

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭quazzy

Hey all,

Am thinking of pulling the trigger on a Nest Hello soon and wanted to confirm that I have understood all the workings and features of the device.

My assumptions so far:

I have a standard wired doorbell chime right now.

When I install the nest correctly and someone rings the bell my existing standard chime will sound as normal AND I'll get some notification / video stream on my phone / app (I don't have any Google Home speakers etc...)

If I enable the Do No Disturb mode and someone rings the bell, my existing standard chime will NOT sound but I will get a notification on my phone / app.

Lastly, if I have a chromecast enabled on my tv can the video stream be thrown up on the TV as part of the notification process.

Regards,

• Registered Users Posts: 7,652 ✭✭✭54and56

quazzy wrote: »
    Hey all,

Am thinking of pulling the trigger on a Nest Hello soon and wanted to confirm that I have understood all the workings and features of the device.

My assumptions so far:

I have a standard wired doorbell chime right now.

When I install the nest correctly and someone rings the bell my existing standard chime will sound as normal AND I'll get some notification / video stream on my phone / app (I don't have any Google Home speakers etc...)

Correct
    If I enable the Do No Disturb mode and someone rings the bell, my existing standard chime will NOT sound but I will get a notification on my phone / app.

Correct except in the app its an option called "Quiet Time" not "Do Not Disturb".
    Lastly, if I have a chromecast enabled on my tv can the video stream be thrown up on the TV as part of the notification process.

I don't use that functionality but I believe it can.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,564 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Hey just want to double check that my doorbell transformer is compatible if anyone would be so kind? I believe it is as it seems to say it's 8V - 24V and 8VA.

Frisbee wrote: »
    Hey just want to double check that my doorbell transformer is compatible if anyone would be so kind? I believe it is as it seems to say it's 8V - 24V and 8VA.

Yep, just depends whether it's configured for 8v, 12v or 24v.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,564 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Nice one, and how do I figure that out?

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭RunDMC

Hey all,

Regards,

Yes, when just using the Nest Hello, and as the other poster said, it is called "Quiet Time" in the Nest app. The "Do Not Disturb" is was referring to is for the other devices, Google Home, Mini and Hub.

R

Probably the most pragmatic way is to install the Nest and see if it works. If it doesn't it might only be getting 8v.

Once installed you can see in the online settings what voltage they Nest is getting etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭nigwerwig

That's the one I installed works great . You need to pull the cover off the box and see, there is 3 wire spaces for the different voltage just make sure it's in the last ie the 24v .
    The Frist to left wire stays put

It will be live and might not even go dead with all the breaker's down I'd recommend so one that knows what there doing

• Registered Users Posts: 9,011 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

54and56 wrote: »
    Probably the most pragmatic way is to install the Nest and see if it works. If it doesn't it might only be getting 8v.

Once installed you can see in the online settings what voltage they Nest is getting etc.

Mine is working fine but says 0 volts in the settings !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭BobbyT28

Mine is working grand. But showing the voltage as 0. One thing I have noticed in unable to scrub through video like on review videos. When your in the recordings looking at reviews your able to scrub through the timeline like a timelapse, mine fibre up blurred like it's trying to buffer.

Maybe a WiFi issue the high video capture I have the bell set to

Mine is working fine but says 0 volts in the settings !

Have you tried the settings online via a browser?

Have you tried the settings online via a browser?

Well scratch that i guess based on the support article.

It won't affect me so much as i was able to use the readings early on to establish I had the right voltage going to the Nest so once set up it's unlikely to change much.

But of a strange decision to drop the info though and to say that a couple of voltage readings are overwhelming Google's database capabilities!!

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,546 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Connect across the terminals on the extreme left and the extreme right for 24VAC (on the output side of the transformer).

This Nest Hello will work at lower voltages, but not as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Yjbgfjb

I'm planning to install nest doorbell at my front door. But after reading reviews about delayed notifications I'm in doubt now. Is anybody have that issue with delayed notification? How many seconds it takes?

Yjbgfjb wrote: »
    I'm planning to install nest doorbell at my front door. But after reading reviews about delayed notifications I'm in doubt now. Is anybody have that issue with delayed notification? How many seconds it takes?

Have the Nest over a year, 99% of notifications arrive to my phone within a second or two. Those that don't arrive quickly are usually down to my phone having a poor data connection.

Yjbgfjb wrote: »

I have the nest a week now and I can't believe how quick the notifications come in on my phone and Google nest hub.

I can assure you, you won't be disappointed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭quazzy

Hi all,
    Nest Hello arrived yesterday.
    I noticed a usb port on the back of the unit.
    Just wondering if I could connect that to laptop and "see" the camera view options available before I start drilling / mounting.

I have 2 locations in mind for the position but ideally would like to know what the view would be like before any holes are made.

Cheers,

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭nialldinho

Hi

My nest is sending me notifications when it legitimately spots a person e.g. postman or one of us leaving. However when I check the still picture it takes in the app the person isn't captured. It’s like it’s too slow taking the picture.

Also the picture has a pink hue today which I believe is something to do with night vision not turning off properly..

Could this be because my transformer voltage is too low?

Thanks

• Advertisement

RunDMC wrote: »
    I had to replace the transformer with a 24v one to get the Nest Hello to work reliably and maintain a connection. Here's what I got:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07J2NWYC4/ref=dp_cerb_1

The chime looks OK. The space where the bell looks a bit tight. The Nest Hello is about twice as wide as the old doorbell button. You should also check how much play you have in the wire behind the bell. I had very little and it was a pain to fit, especially as I was using the wedge to point it at an angle.

R

Hi guys

I got the transformer above but am nervous of putting it in myself!

However, I sent the pic of my fuse box to someone and they said it wouldn’t fit and would need to be put in a separate enclosure beside the fuse box. Does this sound right?

I thought it would be a straight swap.

Pic of fuse box attached.

Thanks

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,546 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

A straight swap is possible. Both units a 2 mods wide and both are DIN rail mountable.

From a legal perspective only a registered electrical contractor should do this work. From a common sense perspective only a competent person should do this. It is not rocket science. There is no reason for a separate enclosure and it would look cr@p. If you are unsure of what you are doing I suggest that you do the sensible thing and get a qualified electrician to do this.

2011 wrote: »
    A straight swap is possible. Both units a 2 mods wide and both are DIN rail mountable.

From a legal perspective only a registered electrical contractor should do this work. From a common sense perspective only a competent person should do this. It is not rocket science. There is no reason for a separate enclosure and it would look cr@p. If you are unsure of what you are doing I suggest that you do the sensible thing and get a qualified electrician to do this.

Ok thanks. It was a qualified electrician that told me it wouldn’t fit! And would be €240 for the work suggested. I’ll shop around!

nialldinho wrote: »
    Ok thanks. It was a qualified electrician that told me it wouldn’t fit! And would be €240 for the work suggested. I’ll shop around!

From the photos both transformers look to be the same dimensions. Not only that but there is free space available to the right of the transformer mounted in the board.

Definitely get another electrician! There are chances out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,038 ✭✭✭OU812

Our hello never chimed the bell, which was no big deal as we got alerts other ways (mainly the dog going nuts).

However had an issue with the thermo & had an accredited nest pro out to fix it. Mentioned the hello to him and he changed out the transformer for €60. Old one was 30 years old.

That guy looking for €240 is chancing his arm.

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭tooth*grinder

Hey all,
    So santa dropped me a nest hello yesterday out of the blue.
    Read this entire thread and know I need at least a 24v transformer added to my fuse box (and a spark to do it).
    However the door chime I have doesn't look like anything else I've seen on the thread.
    Anyone care to have a look and suggest an upgrade for the chime?
    I've attached a image of the chime and the fusebox. I need to get a sparky in to do some wiring anyways in the near future so I'd guess I could ask them to throw on the transformer at the same time, right?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,306 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

Chime looks like a normal two wire one. Yes transformer will have to be changed.

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭kevincool

Thanks for that micks_address, I might just give it a crack and see, if I have to get the transformer changed then so be it.

As an aside, does the Nest Hello offer the option of connecting to 5Ghz WiFi? I have both bands available and IIRC 5Ghz might be easier for the device to process so in turn might get by with the lower voltage or is that just me showing my complete ignorance of both WiFi and all things electrical? :o

What's the bell transformer you used? Did it fit in perfectly in place of the hager one?

kevincool wrote: »
    What's the bell transformer you used? Did it fit in perfectly in place of the hager one?

I got this from http://tradeelectriclighting.ie/stillorgan for about €13 IIRC and yes it fitted perfectly albeit I had to install it upside down for a reason I can't now remember. Possibly the amout of wiring I had to play with or something like that.

IMG201912301251131577711080.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭Dr.Winston O'Boogie

Is there any difference in the install process between buying the doorbell via google or buying one via ebay like the below for example?

https://www.ebay.ie/itm/NEST-Hello-Video-Doorbell-HD-video-Compatible-with-Google-Home-Amazon-devices/193286077748?hash=item2d00bf7d34:g:jikAAOSwyR1eD2Cp

Advertisement