Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Operation Transformation 2020

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Dakota Dan

Azatadine wrote: »
    That Eddie lad is an awful spoofer. Cant listen to him at all.

He was on to one of the contestants about camouflage and I couldn’t stop thinking about his dodgy combover.

JoeCole26 wrote: »
    Massive respect to everyone that decides to put themselves out there and try to better themselves, and generally just feel happier in their own skin. The very best of luck to them all.

They are going the wrong way about it though.

Even the past participants who have all become "advocates" for health and fitness are still well overweight.

I think the producers seek out the easiest people to manipulate and play up to the camera, as the majority seem to have been unable to do it for themselves once the cameras are gone.
    Its sad really when you think none of the people on it previously can come back say 5 or 10 years later and show slow but consistent improvement.

They also need a good sob story and be able to turn on the taps.

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭BuboBubo

I'd love for once if they'd just had some fatty come on and say I'm fat cause I love takeaways, booze and sitting on me arse.

I am that person you described. ^^^ "Im Bubo, I like chocolate, tayto and chineses-es and spend the day sitting on my arśe. My job involves sitting on my arśe too. I have a big belly and humongous tits. I don't cry over my weight because I'm not a bawling lardarśe"

I don't get the whole "shock" thing when their weight is revealed. Surely they hopped onto a scales beforehand for curiosity sake. Can't imagine going on the telly to get weighed not having a fcukin clue you're 18 stone.

Unfortunately I have no fcukin sob story to tell so I won't be appearing on it any time soon.

BuboBubo wrote: »
    I am that person you described. ^^^ "Im Bubo, I like chocolate, tayto and chineses-es and spend the day sitting on my arśe. My job involves sitting on my arśe too. I have a big belly and humongous tits. I don't cry over my weight because I'm not a bawling lardarśe"

I don't get the whole "shock" thing when their weight is revealed. Surely they hopped onto a scales beforehand for curiosity sake. Can't imagine going on the telly to get weighed not having a fcukin clue you're 18 stone.

Unfortunately I have no fcukin sob story to tell so I won't be appearing on it any time soon.

You sound like fat bastard, I read your post in a Scottish accent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭BuboBubo

Dakota Dan wrote: »
    You sound like fat bastard, I read your post in a Scottish accent.

Baby

Get in mah belly... ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Michellenman

robinbird wrote: »
    A follow up study on The Biggest Loser, the equivalent us show found that it was practically impossible for them to keep the weight off.

Wasn’t this show discovered to be over exercising and under feeding people? And encouraging them to dehydrate themselves on weigh in day? That was a competition so people were kicked out weekly. I don’t know for sure but I much prefer the OT way of doing it, seems more likely to have a lasting impact.

Wasn’t this show discovered to be over exercising and under feeding people? And encouraging them to dehydrate themselves on weigh in day? That was a competition so people were kicked out weekly. I don’t know for sure but I much prefer the OT way of doing it, seems more likely to have a lasting impact.

But it doesn’t as proven by former contestants.

The 29 year old music teacher seems a complete copy of the man with the shop last year. Working long hours and away from his family and no doubt the same rehashed advice for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,304 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

I do like how OT motivates people to make better food choices and get up and get active over the 6-8 weeks the show airs. But once the cameras stop rolling it all falls by the wayside - I've seen it both with contestants from the show and in real life. The show helps to kick start healthy eating and exercise - which lets face it isn't exactly hard to do in January! - but it doesn't do much to help maintain those habits. There's no follow up with the OT program, no shows or check ins during the year. Most of the Nationwide walks and Light It Up campaigns had stopped in March. There's nothing wrong with needing external motivation (I know it myself, it's easier to go out for a run where there's a group or parkrun rather than try to motivate myself alone). What about a half hour program with the leaders once a month to check in?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,487 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

I liked all the leaders. Looking forward to seeing how they get on.

Of the coaches, or whatever their title is, Karl and Aoife grate on my nerves.
    (I probably should post that on the AH thread about people you inexplicably dislike).

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,487 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

Sunny Dayz wrote: »
    I do like how OT motivates people to make better food choices and get up and get active over the 6-8 weeks the show airs. But once the cameras stop rolling it all falls by the wayside - I've seen it both with contestants from the show and in real life. The show helps to kick start healthy eating and exercise - which lets face it isn't exactly hard to do in January! - but it doesn't do much to help maintain those habits. There's no follow up with the OT program, no shows or check ins during the year. Most of the Nationwide walks and Light It Up campaigns had stopped in March. There's nothing wrong with needing external motivation (I know it myself, it's easier to go out for a run where there's a group or parkrun rather than try to motivate myself alone). What about a half hour program with the leaders once a month to check in?

I agree about the motivation. I also think a follow up programme would be good.

Sunny Dayz wrote: »

I’d say a lot of the people that go on the walks while the show is on only want to see if they can get their mug on television.

I’d say a lot of the people that go on the walks while the show is on only want to see if they can get their mug on television.

Oh I agree. I remember when one year an OT leader was scheduled to attend my local parkrun - there were huge crowds down for the tv cameras. Following week the numbers were half!

But aside from that I think the publicity of the walks and other OT activities serves as a good reminder and motivator for people to get active. If we were all able to motivate ourselves to be more active well there wouldn't really be a need for OT! It's not a bad thing to need motivation - in fact I think it's normal and natural - it's just a pity OT finishes up after only a few weeks leaving everyone to fend for themselves.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,217 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Moved from Television

• Registered Users Posts: 14,768 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

only caught the end of this, but but bloody hell that is a lot of Coke! She has a cup of tea (with 3 sugars) and accompanies it with a can of coke. She wakes up during the night, and has a Coke! (which reminded me of this).

At least it provides a simple first step (though she seems hopelessly addicted to the stuff).

loyatemu wrote: »
    only caught the end of this, but but bloody hell that is a lot of Coke! She has a cup of tea (with 3 sugars) and accompanies it with a can of coke. She wakes up during the night, and has a Coke! (which reminded me of this).

At least it provides a simple first step (though she seems hopelessly addicted to the stuff).

I’m amazed that she still have her teeth, unless they are false teeth.

I'm not really a Coke drinker - if I was to buy a fizzy drink it would be way down the list. But my mouth was watering for a can last night watching OT!!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Eddie is some spoofer... and looks to be getting fatter himself each year

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭w/s/p/c/

Enjoyed the show last night. I look forward to it every year. Hopefully the leaders get what they are looking for out of it.

Still can't believe that girl drinks 12 cans of coke a day!! Yikes. She cuts that out straight away and she will start to see the weight loss.

As said already, would love to see a full follow up show on how many of the previous leaders have kept to the weight that they have lost. I say the same every year. The ones featured last night looked good (David the Guard from a couple of years back looks years younger!)

w/s/p/c/ wrote: »
    Enjoyed the show last night. I look forward to it every year. Hopefully the leaders get what they are looking for out of it.

Still can't believe that girl drinks 12 cans of coke a day!! Yikes. She cuts that out straight away and she will start to see the weight loss.

As said already, would love to see a full follow up show on how many of the previous leaders have kept to the weight that they have lost. I say the same every year. The ones featured last night looked good (David the Guard from a couple of years back looks years younger!)

It’s comedy gold.

• Advertisement

The ones featured last night looked good (David the Guard from a couple of years back looks years younger!)

Some had made progress, others dressed all in black to try and hide how fat they still were...

• Registered Users Posts: 85,125 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Good Luck to them All

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭robinbird

mloc123 wrote: »
    Some had made progress, others dressed all in black to try and hide how fat they still were...
    JoeCole26 wrote: »
    Massive respect to everyone that decides to put themselves out there and try to better themselves, and generally just feel happier in their own skin. The very best of luck to them all.
    But it doesn’t as proven by former contestants.

They are going the wrong way about it though.

Four of the five previous leaders shown were from the last two years and they were all obviously still overweight. Some of them did not look much different from when they were on the show. And it makes you wonder about the 50+ previous leaders that they decided not to show.

Reality shows have shown that some people will do anything for fame. So not too difficult to find overweight people to go out in too tight lycra shorts and cry for Eddie. They get a few weeks of national attention and are local celebrities.
    But after the show the weight goes back on and they are forever known and defined as the fatties from the telly. And the program is not only cruel in the way it uses them but dishonest in the way it portrays itself as doing good. It doesn't.
    It is fat shaming and some like the hairdresser from Carlow and fine the way they are.

mloc123 wrote: »

I was 3 stone overweight 11 years ago and realised I had to lose it because I used to get winded walking up a hill. I made 3 attempts failed on the first two but succeeded in the third and have managed to keep the weight off since. I didn’t use any help just cut back on the grub and plenty exercise. It makes it a lot easier to lose the weight and keep it off when you do it in your own bit you need strong will power.

The trouble with the OT contestants is that they think someone else should lose the weight for them and using sob stories as an excuse as to why they got fat doesn’t help either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,981 ✭✭✭Naggdefy

I was 3 stone overweight 11 years ago and realised I had to lose it because I used to get winded walking up a hill. I made 3 attempts failed on the first two but succeeded in the third and have managed to keep the weight off since. I didn’t use any help just cut back on the grub and plenty exercise. It makes it a lot easier to lose the weight and keep it off when you do it in your own bit you need strong will power.

The trouble with the OT contestants is that they think someone else should lose the weight for them and using sob stories as an excuse as to why they got fat doesn’t help either.

Spot on. You need to be self motivated. No props like tv, psychologists, group hugs, feeling a little sorry for yourself, fit bits, park runs, community banners, screaming kids in the local national school etc. As you said diet, discipline and exercise.

This is the thing... On the show it is all "we are going to give you the tools you need to do this"... But that is the problem. Anyone that is serious will put that work in themselves, educate themselves and learn some will power.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 Clockpics

What are the stats on previous contestants? Have any of them come out against the show? I listened to a podcast on the biggest loser it was frightening the damage it did to contestants.

This show from what I've seen is all about shaming poor vulnerable people. I wish them all the best but I deeply suspect it won't work in their favour in the long run.

The togs they make them wear are proof that they want to show off just how far they are. I watched the 1st episode and regret supporting the show.

!What annoys me is I'll be "proven" wrong at the finale of end the show but give it a few years and see where they are.

I do genuinely wish these people well but I just feel give it a year or two and they might be better off without the show.

Although the girl with the coke, imagine if she achieved just that, the health benefits would be huge!

Good luck

Clockpics wrote: »
    The togs they make them wear are proof that they want to show off just how far they are. I watched the 1st episode and regret supporting the show.

!What annoys me is I'll be "proven" wrong at the finale of end the show but give it a few years and see where they are.

I'm not overweight but even I wouldn't look good or feel confident in wearing a sports bra and cycling shorts to stand infront of people for them to look at me. (I'd wear shorts and a singlet in the summer running but i know no one is going to be looking at me!).

On the finale night they should show them in the bra and shorts with a side by side comparison of their starting picture. You would really see how they have changed. But instead they put them in outfits with spanx underneath. I do think the makeover at the end helps with their confidence but I do think there should also be a before and after in the bra/shorts.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

I know Shane well. A really lovely guy, would do anything for anyone. Really hope it all goes well for him.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,981 ✭✭✭Naggdefy

I know Shane well. A really lovely guy, would do anything for anyone. Really hope it all goes well for him.

He comes across as a gentleman.

Advertisement