Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Operation Transformation 2020

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,981 ✭✭✭Naggdefy

True enough.

I'm probably off the mark with my comments, though it wouldn't surprise me.

He strikes me as too vulnerable for the show and it's a bit exploitative of OT having him on for ratings boosting.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Naggdefy wrote: »
    True enough.

I'm probably off the mark with my comments, though it wouldn't surprise me.

He strikes me as too vulnerable for the show and it's a bit exploitative of OT having him on for ratings boosting.

I was quite surprised to see he was married, with children tho.

The entire show is horrible. Exploiting weak minded people for ratings. They all have to have some big sob story etc..
    I am not sure what people volunteer to go on it... although the couch case study guy and your one with her cans of coke both seemed a little simple.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,487 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

He does seem quite vulnerable.

I think help with food issues is beyond the remit of the programme, and it appears that the coaches were completely unaware that he had issues with food textures.

I think they will learn from this, but I do hope it is not at his expense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭Happy4all

Naos wrote: »
    You can burn as many calories in 30 minutes running as you can in 30 mins fast walking... good man Karl.

That had me scratching my head:confused:

He was was just explaining that that you had to walk at a fast pace as opposed to slow to get the calorie burn up. Surely running as opposed to walking 30 mins, the former being at a higher MPH will burn more. But he is the expert.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,554 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

If he said that walking, even a brisk walk, burned as many calories as running (presumably at a faster pace than the brisk/fast walk) for the same time...then he's talking through his hole.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 772 ✭✭✭the dark phantom

"People don't realise how hard it is to come off coke".

If he said that walking, even a brisk walk, burned as many calories as running (presumably at a faster pace than the brisk/fast walk) for the same time...then he's talking through his hole.

He is a ****ing spoofer too.. the whole show is full of bull**** 'science'.

However... in theory. If you walk 5km and run 5km, both will burn about the same calories. But... you will run it in say 25mins while it will take 50mins to walk. They are trying to say that running or walk for 30 minutes is the same, it is not.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,063 ✭✭✭prunudo

Has the show run its course, not very active thread this year and I haven't seen it popping up on social media as much as previous years.

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭robinbird

prunudo wrote: »
    Has the show run its course, not very active thread this year and I haven't seen it popping up on social media as much as previous years.

I think it maybe has. Not much workplace chatter either about it any more.
    I think that it has been largely discredited. It's most popular feature.
    The weight ins of fat people in too tight lycra was lifted directly from the Biggest Loser as was the fat shaming and humiliation of contestants by experts.
    The exposure of that show as a cynical and deeply manipulative exercise has hurt its irish counterpart.. The spoof psychology of Dr Eddie is also wearing thin.
    This is a nasty cynical show and the sham that it is doing good or helping people is wearing thin so people are turning away from it.
    In ten years with perhaps 60 contestants I don't think they have managed to produce one single person that has managed to stay thin.
    The five previous contestants they showcased on the first episode were clearly all overweight. And Both Karl and Dr Eddie could do with losing a few pounds themselves.

robinbird wrote: »
    I think it maybe has. Not much workplace chatter either about it any more.
    I think that it has been largely discredited. It's most popular feature.
    The weight ins of fat people in too tight lycra was lifted directly from the Biggest Loser as was the fat shaming and humiliation of contestants by experts.
    The exposure of that show as a cynical and deeply manipulative exercise has hurt its irish counterpart.. The spoof psychology of Dr Eddie is also wearing thin.
    This is a nasty cynical show and the sham that it is doing good or helping people is wearing thin so people are turning away from it.
    In ten years with perhaps 60 contestants I don't think they have managed to produce one single person that has managed to stay thin.
    The five previous contestants they showcased on the first episode were clearly all overweight. And Both Karl and Dr Eddie could do with losing a few pounds themselves.

Think you're getting a bit overly worked up. 'Cynical, nasty show'... Hyperbole. It's getting a lot of people walking etc around the country. Granted they usually stop when the show is over. It has a lot of imperfections but it has resulted in a lot of people talking about diet and exercise.

Karl could do with losing weight??! Are you kidding? If the ideal weight is below his then according to you that would be somewhere between a cross country runner and anorexia. He's possibly doing a bit of weight training and has a little extra muscle. We don't all have to look like Ruby Walsh.

• Advertisement

How is their "million pound challenge" going from a few years ago :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

i used to watch the show but got very disillusioned. A lot of spoofing and borderline exploitation.
    In terms of a show to encourage people to get active I think January is the wrong month. Too cold and dark.
    A show starting mid Feb would be better to get wider population motivated.

joe40 wrote: »
    i used to watch the show but got very disillusioned. A lot of spoofing and borderline exploitation.
    In terms of a show to encourage people to get active I think January is the wrong month. Too cold and dark.
    A show starting mid Feb would be better to get wider population motivated.

True. And a couple of updates throughout the year, with 3 or 4 shows.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

I think they’re trying to capitalise on the whole new years resolution thing. Most of which are about eating better and getting fit and most of which are long abandoned by mid February :pac:

I think they’re trying to capitalise on the whole new years resolution thing. Most of which are about eating better and getting fit and most of which are long abandoned by mid February :pac:

Of course. And if you can go for a jog when it's dark and cold it's a great start..things can only get better :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,478 ✭✭✭harr

I would like to see this ... maybe a catch up show before the new season starts. Also agree that January is the wrong month. Around near me nothing but people pounding the roads in hi-viz vests and roads will be empty come February and it’s the same people every year. I know one man a work colleague of a friend who was in it a few years back and he is bigger than ever once the show was over he was completely left to his own devices.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,582 ✭✭✭✭The Princess Bride

The participants need this, otherwise they won't reach their target, let alone maintain it.

Bar the girl 6ft Kathryn seems to dwarf the females each year. I know she's in heels.

For ladies 5ft 4in and under it's extra hard to appear trim.

Woman of normal enough size. little overweight. Put on national TV in tight lycra.
    Weight loss 1 lb.
    Doctor asks about her menstrual cycle. Dr Eddie makes her cry.
    How is this not pointless exploitation.

Barry is like Brutus meets Andre the Giant!

• Advertisement

Woman of normal enough size. little overweight. Put on national TV in tight lycra.
    Weight loss 1 lb.

In this instance I agree. She's being treated like a 20 stone totally unhealthy person.

One person wants to leave the show. I doubt it's Tanya! I feel a tantrum coming on from the veggie hater!

Andrea's mother is right in her self evaluation. She is a bit of a bit of a bitch.
    Constantly sniping and undermining her daughter.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

The lady not hitting her target needs a rocket up her behind with regards to intensity. She has been told the same thing twice. Shouldn't need to be told the second time.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,478 ✭✭✭harr

Weight loss 1 lb.
    She also has a lot of stuff on her mind...having a sick child puts your own health and well-being on the back foot again it’s something that is probably being over looked. A lot of the contestants have issues that need closer looking at.

With a Fitbit if you shake your hand up and down you clock up thousands of steps in half an hour...wonder no one does it and clocks 20,000 per day to look impressive!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

With a Fitbit if you shake your hand up and down you clock up thousands of steps in half an hour...wonder no one does it and clocks 20,000 per day to look impressive!

The kids in my class do that. Mad arms in the middle of maths 😂

The lady not hitting her target needs a rocket up her behind with regards to intensity. She has been told the same thing twice. Shouldn't need to be told the second time.

Didn't Karl do a session with her telling her intensity means you're too breathless to talk, or was that Tanya?

• Registered Users Posts: 31,857 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Weight loss 1 lb.
    Totally agree
    I think they need to lose the Lycra for all contestants it's not needed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,857 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Didn't Karl do a session with her telling her intensity means you're too breathless to talk, or was that Tanya?
    I think it was her last week.
    She doesn't have a huge amount to lose in fairness.

Advertisement