Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boardsies greatest song of the 80s - Live Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,423 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Has to be Love Will Tear Us Apart

I'll be throwing my toys at the screen and deleting all my posts to hide any involvement if the Pet Shop Boys come out as winners.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

This is very difficult, as I'd be happy to see either win. I've been listening to both songs back to back on repeat for the last 30 or so minutes and I'm really struggling to decide between the two... There's just something really hypnotic about West End Girls that commands me to sit up and listen, while Love Will Tear Us Apart could easily just be on in the background as I go about my business, which isn't a bad things by any means, but I'm going to have to go with...

West End Girls - Pet Shop Boys

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,053 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

I'll be throwing my toys at the screen and deleting all my posts to hide any involvement if the Pet Shop Boys come out as winners.

Pet Shop Boys because I want AndrewJRenko to have a tantrum.

Don't have another reason I don't really like either of the finalists.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

I really like both of these. Either are worthy winners, but

Final Pet Shop Boys - West End Girls

is just a really good, catching, quintessentially 80s song, and I think it's brilliant and a more worthy winner, with apologies to Ficheall for not being able tot write an essay as to why I am voting here :(

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭angel eyes 2012

Firstly, thanks to Kolido for all his efforts and making this really enjoyable. We all lost some favourites along the way but for me the real 80s overall winner has to be the Pet Shop Boys. Great tune and the video really represents society as it was at the time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,894 ✭✭✭Triceratops Ballet

I'll go for pet shop boys. It's not a fave of mine but it's more of what the 80's is in my mind, I like it much more than the other one!

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,280 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Joy Division - Love Will Tear Us Apart. I wouldn't be a Joy Division fan, but from the opening chord I knew this song was special. To me, it's one of the greatest songs of all time and I'll never grow tired of listening to it. Plus the Pet Shop Boys suck. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭the heathen

Joy Division - Love Will Tear Us Apart

1. Because it's fantastic.

2. Because it's not the one Necro wants and I've still not forgiven him for his anti-A-Ha campaign :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,404 ✭✭✭✭sKeith

1. Because it's fantastic.

2. Because it's not the one Necro wants and I've still not forgiven him for his anti-A-Ha campaign :D

The a-ha voters should hang their heads in shame over voting against guns n roses!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,053 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

sKeith wrote:
    The a-ha voters should hang their heads in shame over voting against guns n roses!

This was precisely why the death to A-Ha movement was formed :D

• Advertisement

Joy division, love will tear us apart

It was one of my nominations, & even though pet shop boys are great I don't believe that song deserves to win best song of the 80s
    Oh, & Joy division have had to beat the better songs all the way through

Great game kol, thanks for running :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

Giving my vote to Joy Division. West End Girls wouldn't even be my favourite Pet Shop Boys song.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,359 ✭✭✭✭Kolido

Winner of the best song of the 80s as chosen by Boardsies.

Pet Shop Boys - West End Girls 6 10 Joy Division - Love Will Tear Us Apart

Thanks everyone for taking part.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,346 ✭✭✭✭Tauriel

Thanks Kolido for the excellent game :)

Song | Noms | Reached | Song | Noms | Reached
    Bon Jovi - Livin on a Prayer | 4 | R4 | J Geils Band - Centrefold | | R1
    Eurthymics - Sweet Dreams | 4 | SF | Jennifer Rush - The Power of Love | | Q
    Phil Collins - In The Air Tonight | 4 | R3 | John Cougar Mellencamp - Jack and Diane | | R1
    Simple Minds - Don't You Forget About Me | 4 | R2 | John Waite - Missing | | Q
    Tears For Fears - Everybody Wants To Rule The World | 4 | R3 | Journey - Dont Stop Believing | | R1
    Toto - Africa | 4 | R1 | Journey - Separate Ways | | Q
    Cyndi Lauper - Time After Time | 3 | R3 | Kenny Loggins - Danger Zone | | R1
    Joy Division - Love Will Tear Us Apart | 3 | W | Kenny Loggins - Footloose | | R2
    New Order - Blue Monday | 3 | R1 | Kim Wilde - Kids In America | | R1
    Peter Gabriel - Sledgehammer | 3 | R1 | Kim Wilde - Keep me Hanging On | | Q
    Prince - When Doves Cry | 3 | R1 | Landscape - Einstein A Go Go | | R1
    Queen & David Bowie - Under Pressure | 3 | R4 | Laura Branigan - Self Control | | Q
    The Bangles - Manic Monday | 3 | R3 | M|A|R|R|S - Pump up the volume | | Q
    Band Aid - Do They Know It's Christmas | 2 | R2 | Madness - One Step Beyond | | R1
    Blondie - Atomic | 2 | R4 | Madness - House of Fun | | R1
    Bonnie Tyler - Total Eclipse of The Heart | 2 | QF | Madonna - La Isla Bonita | | Q
    Communards - Don’t Leave Me This Way | 2 | R2 | Madonna - Like A Virgin | | R1
    Culture Club - Karma Chameleon | 2 | R3 | Madonna - Papa Don't Preach | | R1
    Cutting Crew - I just Died in Your Arms Tonight | 2 | R3 | Mental As Anything - Live It Up | | Q
    David Bowie - Lets Dance | 2 | R3 | Metallica - One | | R1
    Erasure - A Little Respect | 2 | R1 | Michael Jackson - Beat it | | Q
    Frankie Goes To Hollywood - Relax | 2 | R2 | Michael Jackson - Billie Jean | | Q
    Guns'N'Roses - Sweet Child O'Mine | 2 | R1 | Michael Jackson - The Way You Make Me Feel | | R1
    Huey Lewis and the News - The Power of Love | 2 | R2 | Motorhead - Ace of Spades | | R1
    Kate Bush - Running Up That Hill | 2 | R1 | Neil Young - Rockin' in the Free World | | Q
    Kim Carnes - Bette Davis Eyes | 2 | QF | Nena - 99 Red Balloons | | Q
    Lionel Richie - All Night Long (All Night) | 2 | R2 | Neneh Cherry - Buffalo Stance | | Q
    Madonna - Like A Prayer | 2 | R2 | Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds - The Mercy Seat | | R1
    Men Without Hats- The Safety Dance | 2 | R1 | Nik Kershaw - The Riddle | | Q
    Pet Shop Boys - West End Girls | 2 | RU | Pat Benetar - Love Is A Battlefield | | R1
    Prince - Purple Rain | 2 | R2 | Paul Kelly - Dumb Things | | Q
    Queen - I Want to Break Free | 2 | R3 | Paul Simon - You Can Call Me Al | | Q
    Salt n Pepa - Push It | 2 | R1 | Paul Young - Everytime You Go Away | | R1
    Stevie Nicks - Edge Of Seventeen | 2 | R2 | Pet Shop Boys - It's a Sin | | Q
    T’pau - China in Your Hands | 2 | R2 | Phil Collins - Sussudio | | Q
    Talking Heads - Road to Nowhere | 2 | R1 | Phil Collins- Two Hearts | | Q
    Talking Heads - Once in a Lifetime | 2 | R2 | Philip Oakey - Together in Electric Dreams | | R1
    The B-52s - Love Shack | 2 | R2 | Pink Floyd - Another Brick in the Wall | | R2
    The Bangles - Eternal Flame | 2 | R1 | Poison - Every Rose Has Its Thorn | | Q
    The Cure - Just Like Heaven | 2 | R1 | Prince - 1999 | | R2
    The Jam - Going underground | 2 | R2 | Queen - A Kind Of Magic | | R2
    The Waterboys - The Whole Of The Moon | 2 | R1 | Queen - I Want It All | | Q
    Ultravox - Vienna | 2 | R4 | Queen - One Vision | | Q
    Whitesnake - Here I Go Again | 2 | R2 | Queen - Who Wants to Live Forever | | R3
    ABBA - The Day Before You Came | | Q | Ray Parker Jr - Ghostbusters | | R1
    ABBA - One of Us | | R1 | REO Speedwagon - Can't Fight This Feeling | | Q
    A Ha - Take on Me | | R3 | REO Speedwagon - Keep on Loving You | | R1
    A Ha - The Sun Always Shines on TV | | R2 | Richard Marx - Righ Here Waiting For You | | R1
    A Flock of Seagulls - I Ran | | Q | Rick Astley - Never Give You Up | | Q
    A Flock of Seagulls - Wishing | | Q | Rick Springfield - Jesses's Girl | | R1
    Beastie Boys - Fight for your Right | | R1 | Rod Stewart - Baby Jane | | R1
    Beautiful South - Song for Whoever | | Q | Rod Stewart - Young Turks | | Q
    Bee Gees - You Win Again | | Q | Roxy Music - More Than This | | Q
    Belinda Carisle - Heaven is a Place on Earth | | QF | Run DMC & Aerosmith - Walk this way | | R1
    Big Country - Big Country | | Q | Siouxsie & The Banshees - Spellbound | | Q
    Billy Idol - White Wedding | | R4 | Sister Sledge - Frankie | | Q
    Bill Joel - You May Be Right | | R1 | Soft Cell - Tainted Love | | R2
    Blancmange - Living on the Ceiling | | R1 | Sonic Youth - Teen Age Riot | | Q
    Blondie - Call Me | | QF | Spagma - Call me | | Q
    Bon Jovi - You Give Love (A Bad Name) | | R4 | Starship - Nothings Gonna Stop Us Now | | Q
    Boris Gardner - I Wanna Wake up With You | | Q | Sting - Englishman In New York | | Q
    Bow Wow Wow - I Want Candy | | Q | Survivor - Eye of the Tiger | | R2
    Bronski Beat - Smalltown Boy | | R4 | Suzanne Vega - Marlene On The Wall | | Q
    Bros - When Will I Be Famous | | R1 | Talking Heads - Burning Down The House | | R1
    Bruce Springsteen - Dancing In The Dark | | SF | Tears For Fears - Head Over Heels | | R1
    Bryan Adam - Summer of 69 | | R3 | Texas - I Don’t Want a Lover | | R2
    Cher - Turn Back Time | | R2 | The Clash - Should I Stay Or Should I Go | | R4
    Crowded House - Don't Dream It's Over | | R1 | The Cure - Catch | | R1
    Climie Fisher - Love Changes | | Q | The Cure - A Forest | | Q
    Cyndi Lauper - Girls Just Want to Have Fun | | R1 | The Cure - Close To Me | | R1
    Cyndi Lauper - True Colours | | R2 | The Cure - In Between Days | | Q
    David Bowie - Ashes to Ashes | | Q | The Cult - She Sells Sanctuary | | R1
    Debbie Gibson - Shake Your Love | | Q | The Dream Academy - Life in a Northern Town | | R2
    Def Leppard - Pour some sugar on me | | R2 | The Jam - A Town Called Malice | | R1
    Depeche Mode - Personal Jesus | | R1 | The Jesus and Mary Chain - Just Like Honey | | R3
    Dexys Midnight Runners - Geno | | Q | The Hooters - And We Danced | | Q
    Dire Straits - Romeo and Juliet | | Q | The La's - There She Goes | | R1
    Dire Straits - Walk of Life | | R1 | The Passions - Im in Love with a German Film Star | | Q
    Don Henley - The Boys of Summer | | R3 | The Police - Dont Stand So Close To Me | | R3
    Duran Duran - Hungry Like The Wolf | | R1 | The Police - Every Breath You Take | | Q
    Echo & the Bunnymen - Seven Seas | | R1 | The Proclaimers - Walk 500 Miles | | R1
    Edie Brickell - What I am | | Q | The Smiths - How Soon is Now | | R2
    Eric Carmen - Hungry Eyes | | Q | The Stone Roses - Fools gold | | Q
    Europe - The Final Countdown | | R2 | They Might Be Giants - Birdhouse in Your Soul | | R3
    Fiction Factory - (Feels Like) Heaven | | Q | Tiffany - I Think We’re Alone Now | | Q
    Fleetwood Mac - Everywhere | | R2 | Till Tuesday - Voices Carry | | Q
    Foreigner - I Want to Know What Love Is | | R1 | Tommy Tutone - 867-5309/Jenny | | Q
    Frankie Goes To Hollywood - The Power of Love | | R1 | Tone-Loc - Wild Thing | | Q
    Frankie goes to Hollywood - Two Tribes | | Q | U2 - Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For | | R2
    George Michael - Faith | | Q | U2 - Sunday, Bloody Sunday | | R3
    Hall and Oates - I Cant Go For That | | Q | Ultravox - Dancing with Tears in my Eyes | | Q
    Hall & Oates - Maneater | | R1 | Van Halen - Jump | | R1
    Heaven 17 - Temptation | | R1 | Violent Femmes - Blister in the sun | | R1
    Heart - Alone | | R2 | Wang Chung - Dance Hall Days | | R2
    Huey Lewis and the News - Hip to be Square | | Q | Wang Chung - Everybody Have Fun Tonight | | Q
    Human League - Don't You Want Me | | Q | Walk the Dinosaur - Was Not Was | | R1
    Human League - Love Action | | R1 | Wax - Bridge to your heart | | Q
    INXS - Never Tear Us Apart | | R1 | Wham - Wake Me Up Before You Go Go | | Q
    Irene Cara - Flashdance | | Q | Whitney Houston - How Will I know | | Q
    It's Immaterial - Driving Away From Home | | Q | ZZ Top - Sharp Dresses Man | | Q

Kolido wrote: »
    Winner of the best song of the 80s as chosen by Boardsies.

Pet Shop Boys - West End Girls 6 10 Joy Division - Love Will Tear Us Apart

Thanks everyone for taking part.

Woohoo, I won!! What's my prize? :D

That was a brilliant game Kolido, thanks for running it. I think you should have a well deserved rest now after all that.

Thanks again Kolido. Already looking forward to the next competition! :p

I already have ten in mind for the '70's, and about 50 for the '90's (possibly more if the '90's round of my Walrus gives me something amazing! :D )

Zaph wrote:
    That was a brilliant game Kolido, thanks for running it. I think you should have a well deserved rest now after all that.

Screw that, where's the 90s contest!!

:P

Fair play Kolido that was some mammoth task.

Even if the final was for me a bit of a let down, it was enjoyable the whole way through.

Thanks for running it!

I've no complaints about the winner. A great song. Didn't quite make it to my top ten nominations but still a cracker. West End Girls, however did, so hoped I'd have that one there anyway.

These were my nominations for what it's worth:

You May Be Right Billy Joel 1980
    Romeo and Juliet Dire Straits 1980
    Once in a Lifetime Talking Heads 1981
    Vienna Ultravox 1981
    Seven Seas Echo & the Bunnymen 1984
    The Boys of Summer Don Henley 1984
    West End Girls Pet Shop Boys 1984
    Everybody Wants to Rule the World Tears for Fears 1985
    You Can Call Me Al Paul Simon 1986
    Rockin' in the Free World Neil Young 1989

Thanks Kolido, that was great fun, even if hair-pullingly frustrating at times at some of the results. But that's the way these things go and proof-positive that democracy doesn't always work :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭khalessi

Kolido,
    Brilliant!! Joy Division a brilliant deserving winner.
    Well done on all the hard work and I'm looking forward to the next one

• Advertisement

Thanks again Kolido. Already looking forward to the next competition! :p

I already have ten in mind for the '70's, and about 50 for the '90's (possibly more if the '90's round of my Walrus gives me something amazing! :D )

I will likely run a 90's contest, don't have much interest in other decades. I'd agree the 70's had some great songs though.

Thanks Kolido! I was weirdly more invested in this than I thought I'd be...turns out I'm like that for all forum games I'm in!!

these were my nominations:

1. Smalltown boy - bronski beat
    2. I want to break free - Queen
    3. Like a Prayer - Madonna
    4 Sweet child o mine - gnr
    5. A kind of magic - Queen
    6. Sweet dreams - eurythmics
    7. Africa - toto
    8. Bette Davis Eyes - Kim Carnes
    9. How will I know - Whitney Houston
    10. Still haven't found what I'm looking for - U2

Apparently I like a lot of Queen songs that aren't even Queen's best song!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭the heathen

I will likely run a 90's contest, don't have much interest in other decades. I'd agree the 70's had some great songs though.

Fair play to you - magnificent effort

I feel exhausted at the concept of that, it's some amount of work! I don't think I could do it!

BTW I love the playlist! listening to it now so noone comes near me in work! haven't listened to manic monday in years!!

Oh yeah, these were my original ten:

Blondie - Call Me (QF)
    Kim Carnes - Bette Davis Eyes (QF)
    Simple Minds - Don't You Forget About Me (R2)
    Cyndi Lauper- Time After Time (R2)
    The Cure - Just Like Heaven (R1)
    Nick Cave & the Bad Seeds - The Mercy Seat (R1)
    Peter Gabriel - Sledgehammer (R1)
    Men Without Hats - The Safety Dance (R1)
    Kate Bush - Running Up That Hill (R1)
    Laura Branigan - Self Control (Qualifiers)

If there's a 90s contest I'm just gonna nominate 5 (or 10?) Blur songs to counter the Oasis songs that Necro will surely nominate!

quickbeam wrote:
    If there's a 90s contest I'm just gonna nominate 5 (or 10?) Blur songs to counter the Oasis songs that Necro will surely nominate!

I'll prob nominate 2 max tbh!

quickbeam wrote: »
    Seven Seas Echo & the Bunnymen 1984

That's a great shout, never even thought of Echo and the Bunnymen.

For the record, here's my list:

Once in a Lifetime - Talking Heads (1981)
    Blue Monday - New Order (1983)
    Atomic - Blondie (1980)
    1999 - Prince (1982)
    A Town Called Malice - The Jam (1982)
    Just Like Honey - The Jesus and Mary Chain (1985)
    Close To Me - The Cure (1985)
    Love Will Tear Us Apart - Joy Division (1980)
    Should I Stay Or Should I Go - The Clash (1982)
    Ace of Spades - Motorhead (1980)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,828 ✭✭✭✭Mam of 4

Kolido , brilliant game , thank you for running it !

And thanks to everyone else for reminding me of some great songs that I had forgotten about !

• Advertisement

Thanks Zeph. I love Echo alright. It's hard to know what songs to pick from a given artist. I nominated Dire Straits but after talk last night I'm thinking that Brother In Arms would have been a better choice.

Advertisement