Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clare GAA Discussion part 2 , No Purple Jumpers Allowed !!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭Treble double

5 matches of note in Clare over the coming week

Saturday January 4th - All-Ireland senior club football semi-final: Corofin v Nemo Rangers, Throw-in is at 1:30 pm at Cusack Park, Ennis

Sunday January 5th - Liam O'Connor Cup U20 inter-county football competition - Clare v Limerick, Throw-in is at 11 am at Clarecastle

Clare v Limerick - Munster Senior Hurling League, throw-in at 2 pm at Sixmilebridge

Clare v Waterford - McGrath Cup football, throw-in at 2 pm in Miltown Malbay

Wednesday January 8th - Harty Cup Munster post-primary colleges hurling - St Flannans Ennis v St Joseph's Tulla at a Clare venue, Time, date and venue TBC

The corofin v Nemo game is a real treat to have in the county. Corofin bidding to be first team to do 3 all Ireland's in a row in football. Arguably the greatest club team of all time coming up against the might of Nemo one of the biggest names in club football. There will be some talent on display and both teams play positive football. This has the potential to be the best game that will be played in the park in 2020

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭Feenie

Disappointing but sadly not surprising via the link below. As long as the status quo remains, then nothing will change regarding much needed major reform in the way Clare GAA operates or does its business and be held to account for their actions or in-actions, which is most long overdue.

We will continue to get the usual suspects among clubs, backing up the county board to the hilt, as if their lives depending on it. If we want accountability, transparency and repercussions for county board executive officials for not doing their job properly, then this must be a united front, with all clubs demanding change in the way the Clare county board operates and does its business.

One dissenting voice is not enough among club delegates. This needs to be all clubs united, as one to achieve the same goal. Without this unity from clubs, then Clare GAA will continue to serve only the best interests of a minority of County board officials, rather than the general good of GAA within the Banner County. It will continue to be a closed shop for ordinary club members or the wider public in general re positions in the Clare CB top table, with no sign of that changing any time soon.

https://www.clareecho.ie/motion-to-limit-tenure-of-county-board-delegates-defeated/

I agree with you here-look at the managerial drama from just a few months ago. If the proper structure was in place, we'd have had a manger in much sooner, there wouldn't have been a big fuss. Not to mention the fragrant disrespect towards Donal Moloney.
    I still think Ger Loughnane is probably our best option for county secretary. He's a very honest straight forward person and he'll say it how he sees it no matter what. Would he take the job? maybe not but I still think he's a good candidate

• Closed Accounts Posts: 336 ✭✭Banner2theend

Feenie wrote: »
    I agree with you here-look at the managerial drama from just a few months ago. If the proper structure was in place, we'd have had a manger in much sooner, there wouldn't have been a big fuss. Not to mention the fragrant disrespect towards Donal Moloney.
    I still think Ger Loughnane is probably our best option for county secretary. He's a very honest straight forward person and he'll say it how he sees it no matter what. Would he take the job? maybe not but I still think he's a good candidate

Would definitely agree with you re Ger Loughnane being involved with the County Board, not county secretary but perhaps county chairman. However the chances of that happening are exceptionally slim, close to zero.

No way that P Fitz will vacate his position as county secretary anytime soon, not before DF returns to the Clare senior hurling manager's hotseat in 2021 or 22. It would need a full and complete clearout of all the current members of the CB executive until Ger even considers taking on the role.

If he were to be nominated, he would face opposition from "football only" clubs particularly in West Clare, who feel that football won't get any promotion under the Feakle native.

But regardless of that, Feenie you are spot on about what has led to such public discourse with the county board. The botched process that was the position of the Clare senior hurling manager's job was most alarming. I could go on and on about what took place, as some of the carry on by certain people by those proclaiming to put Clare GAA "first", was nothing short of scandalous.

However what is most shocking about what went on was there were only 3 candidates for the manager's role. There was a time that the Clare hurling manager's role was the hottest ticket in town. It's extraordinary and a huge problem for Clare hurling going forward, why there is such apathy for applying for the Clare senior hurling manager's position.

Look in the end I feel Brian Lohan was the right choice as there was no love for Louis Mulqueen within the Clare GAA public, but was the county board's preferred option and Donal Moloney who IMO felt that he also brought Clare senior hurling team, as far as he could. However the old saying of getting the job by default could not be more truer in this case re Lohan, through no fault of the Wolfe Tones na Sionna legend.

There are a litany of other issues that are of huge concern about the county board. Throughout the year, I will certainly raise them here, but considering what transpired in the recent county board convention and what the county secretary said about online commentary about the county board, I'll probably hold off for now.

But let me tell posters here that let there can be no doubt that the recent events regarding the Clare senior hurling manager's position, has been a potential watershed moment for Clare GAA. However a lot will depend on what goes on in the end of year county convention, where a number of key positions will be up for grabs.

In December 2020 there will be a vacancy for the county chairman and vice-chairman roles. It will be a huge test for both club delegates who have the power to nominate such clubman/woman to the role.

A person that has to be progressive in dealing with the bureaucratic and the lack of transparency/accountability, within the executive and has a good relationship with the media are just two of the many characteristics that must come with any person who wants to take the role.

Hopefully 2020 will be start that will herald a new decade for Clare GAA. A lot will go on between now and the 31st December 2029. But for now the main focus is dealing with the present and my earnest hope for the coming year is that we will see a beginning of a wave of change, not just in Clare GAA but throughout many county boards in the country, where many of them are undemocratic and riddled with bureaucracy.

The seeds of change have started in Cork where new county secretary Kevin O'Donovan is driving change and putting forward new creative and positive solutions after years of neglect by his predecessor Frank Murphy.

Here's hoping that after years of the status quo, that change is afoot and after the well documented issues in Mayo, Galway and my own county Clare, that change of a more modern approach to what county boards operate and do their business, may be coming at a much faster rate than what's has been anticipated. The next decade will be most fascinating that's for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭Howitzer the 5th

Certainly stank alright. 'Fragrant' presupposes a pleasant aroma however the smell was one of ****. The treatment of Donal Moloney from the Clare county board was flagrant abuse of power and completely disrespectful. The collection
    of yahoo's must be removed by at least semi competent people.

Would definitely agree with you re Ger Loughnane being involved with the County Board, not county secretary but perhaps county chairman. However the chances of that happening are exceptionally slim, close to zero.

No way that P Fitz will vacate his position as county secretary anytime soon, not before DF returns to the Clare senior hurling manager's hotseat in 2021 or 22. It would need a full and complete clearout of all the current members of the CB executive until Ger even considers taking on the role.

If he were to be nominated, he would face opposition from "football only" clubs particularly in West Clare, who feel that football won't get any promotion under the Feakle native.

But regardless of that, Feenie you are spot on about what has led to such public discourse with the county board. The botched process that was the position of the Clare senior hurling manager's job was most alarming. I could go on and on about what took place, as some of the carry on by certain people by those proclaiming to put Clare GAA "first", was nothing short of scandalous.

However what is most shocking about what went on was there were only 3 candidates for the manager's role. There was a time that the Clare hurling manager's role was the hottest ticket in town. It's extraordinary and a huge problem for Clare hurling going forward, why there is such apathy for applying for the Clare senior hurling manager's position.

Look in the end I feel Brian Lohan was the right choice as there was no love for Louis Mulqueen within the Clare GAA public, but was the county board's preferred option and Donal Moloney who IMO felt that he also brought Clare senior hurling team, as far as he could. However the old saying of getting the job by default could not be more truer in this case re Lohan, through no fault of the Wolfe Tones na Sionna legend.

There are a litany of other issues that are of huge concern about the county board. Throughout the year, I will certainly raise them here, but considering what transpired in the recent county board convention and what the county secretary said about online commentary about the county board, I'll probably hold off for now.

But let me tell posters here that let there can be no doubt that the recent events regarding the Clare senior hurling manager's position, has been a potential watershed moment for Clare GAA. However a lot will depend on what goes on in the end of year county convention, where a number of key positions will be up for grabs.

In December 2020 there will be a vacancy for the county chairman and vice-chairman roles. It will be a huge test for both club delegates who have the power to nominate such clubman/woman to the role.

A person that has to be progressive in dealing with the bureaucratic and the lack of transparency/accountability, within the executive and has a good relationship with the media are just two of the many characteristics that must come with any person who wants to take the role.

Hopefully 2020 will be start that will herald a new decade for Clare GAA. A lot will go on between now and the 31st December 2029. But for now the main focus is dealing with the present and my earnest hope for the coming year is that we will see a beginning of a wave of change, not just in Clare GAA but throughout many county boards in the country, where many of them are undemocratic and riddled with bureaucracy.

The seeds of change have started in Cork where new county secretary Kevin O'Donovan is driving change and putting forward new creative and positive solutions after years of neglect by his predecessor Frank Murphy.

Here's hoping that after years of the status quo, that change is afoot and after the well documented issues in Mayo, Galway and my own county Clare, that change of a more modern approach to what county boards operate and do their business, may be coming at a much faster rate than what's has been anticipated. The next decade will be most fascinating that's for sure.

with Donal Moloney and Gerry O'Connor, they should get far more respect. 2014-2016 was a pretty bad period for Clare hurling, and the minute they stepped on they started to increase Clare's potential. Think of it like Len Gaynor with the Clare team before 95. However I think 2018 was the right time for them to step off. They layed a groundwork and it was time for somebody like Anthony Daly or Brian Lohan to build on that. Again to bring it back to 95, Clare lost two munster finals before hand, but built on it and then finally broke through. I felt Clare could have kept that going in 2019 with a breath of fresh air. They didn't, but I can feel something coming again now. In the words of Brian Lohan "If it didn't happen in 95', it would have happened in 96'". I feel something coming, and I feel like 2020 could be the year.

In regards to the county board, it's going to taken a protest from average people like the people who post here and people who really care about Clare hurling and GAA in general, need to start being heard, and I say through our clubs. It should be a bit like what Cork did around 2002. The players, both inter-county and club, managers, in general people with influence in the county, should do something, just try to be heard. In particular we need some sort of act passed that means we'll have a decided successor before a current manager leaves, so that we don't have a stiff, bogging process like we did this year. Aswell something needs to happen on the financial end in my opinion, particularly in the development of Cusack Park (and I mean proper development) as in actually focusing on the stadium, not the pitch. More money should be allocated to underage hurlers and big clubs so the talent can keep streaming up to Senior Inter-County. The big clubs like Clonlara, Cratloe, Sixmilebridge, Inagh-Killinoma, ClareCastle, etc. In particular I think investing in Wolfe Tones Shannon and Eire Og Inis is a good ideas since those are big towns with quite alot of potential.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,252 ✭✭✭Sterling Archer

n regards to the county board, it's going to taken a protest from average people like the people who post here and people who really care about Clare hurling and GAA in general, need to start being heard, and I say through our clubs. It should be a bit like what Cork did around 2002. The players, both inter-county and club, managers, in general people with influence in the county, should do something, just try to be heard. In particular we need some sort of act passed that means we'll have a decided successor before a current manager leaves, so that we don't have a stiff, bogging process like we did this year. Aswell something needs to happen on the financial end in my opinion, particularly in the development of Cusack Park (and I mean proper development) as in actually focusing on the stadium, not the pitch. More money should be allocated to underage hurlers and big clubs so the talent can keep streaming up to Senior Inter-County. The big clubs like Clonlara, Cratloe, Sixmilebridge, Inagh-Killinoma, ClareCastle, etc. In particular I think investing in Wolfe Tones Shannon and Eire Og Inis is a good ideas since those are big towns with quite alot of potential.

You'll have awful objections to that part in Bold (The rest I whole hardheartedly agree with) But saying we should invest more in the current Big clubs won't fly with a lot of people and rightly so, why aren't you focusing on getting more clubs competitive, surely bigger clubs have more reach, more members etc etc

Perhaps a rewording would make it sound better

You'll have awful objections to that part in Bold (The rest I whole hardheartedly agree with) But saying we should invest more in the current Big clubs won't fly with a lot of people and rightly so, why aren't you focusing on getting more clubs competitive, surely bigger clubs have more reach, more members etc etc

Perhaps a rewording would make it sound better

I did get the word wrong, I'll agree. I think the clubs I listed should get alot of development since those seem to be the hurling strongholds, but it's important aswell to get things got for smaller clubs like Meelick, Parteen, Smith O'Briens, etc. Around the Clare border with other counties might be good places to invest. But what matter most here is leadership and starting with the youth. Like if smaller clubs begin producing more inter county hurlers that get attention in the media and so on, it might inspire them more because they're from the same clubs. Aswell I feel we should promote talented managers in the county like Ollie Baker, Anthony Daly, Cyril Lyons, etc to start managing clubs. With the right leadership some clubs in Clare could be winning Munster Club Titles and Club all Ireland titles. from 1995-2000 a club from Clare won the munster title and in 1996 and 1999 Sixmilebridge and Barefield won the club all Ireland. The success there streams up to inter county.

Interesting to read from another GAA forum that the Clare U20 footballers are training 5 times a week. If true then that's most disappointing to hear. I know there is a fine balance between training hard and getting match ready and getting much needed rest, but 5 times a week is way OTT. Especially for a knock-out tournament like the U20 football championship, where you could only get one championship game.

No wonder player drop-out and burnout in the GAA is becoming alarmingly high, particularly among the younger players. The ratio between training and playing matches is getting rapidly worse. According to that same forum, that particular poster had a son called to the U20 panel but rightly turned it down IMO. Crazy crazy stuff indeed if true.

Anyways the Clare U20 Footballers are playing Limerick at Clarecastle with a 11 am throw-in in the first round of the Liam O'Connor Cup tomorrow. I will be heading down to it and hope to give a match report later tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,852 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

Interesting to read from another GAA forum that the Clare U20 footballers are training 5 times a week. If true then that's most disappointing to hear. I know there is a fine balance between training hard and getting match ready and getting much needed rest, but 5 times a week is way OTT. Especially for a knock-out tournament like the U20 football championship, where you could only get one championship game.

No wonder player drop-out and burnout in the GAA is becoming alarmingly high, particularly among the younger players. The ratio between training and playing matches is getting rapidly worse. According to that same forum, that particular poster had a son called to the U20 panel but rightly turned it down IMO. Crazy crazy stuff indeed if true.

Anyways the Clare U20 Footballers are playing Limerick at Clarecastle with a 11 am throw-in in the first round of the Liam O'Connor Cup tomorrow. I will be heading down to it and hope to give a match report later tomorrow.

dont agree with this at all , the reason for the training is because there is no competitive action for the players between now and the first round of the u20 championship , they are taking it seriously is a good thing , especially if michael neylon is involved , they will be fit if nothing else come the first round

the first game of the u20 championship is five weeks away so its expected they would be training heavy now

the burn out issue is different , playing intercounty games in december and january is a disgrace , its all to facilitate a club month in april

if the gaa was better planned the two all ireland finals should be played on the august weekend meaning that most club championships would be able to start in june and july from the point of teams getting knocked out of the championships

Farcical scenes at the park today delays of up to 20 mins getting patrons into the pitch, alot of supporters of both teams missed up to 15 minutes of the first half. It seemed there wasn't enough people employed to take the entrance fee. The crowd was just over 4000 so there shouldn't have been an issue. Don't know who was at fault, but it was embarrassing. Always seem to be problems at pair ciosog

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,852 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

Farcical scenes at the park today delays of up to 20 mins getting patrons into the pitch, alot of supporters of both teams missed up to 15 minutes of the first half. It seemed there wasn't enough people employed to take the entrance fee. The crowd was just over 4000 so there shouldn't have been an issue. Don't know who was at fault, but it was embarrassing. Always seem to be problems at pair ciosog

the reason as you said is they dont employ enough people for the tickets office , probably more cost cutting measures which is ridiculous , if you are getting big games as a neutral venue there should be nothing spared

the reason as you said is they dont employ enough people for the tickets office , probably more cost cutting measures which is ridiculous , if you are getting big games as a neutral venue there should be nothing spared

It's an awful pity, the pitch is in great nick, lovely surface and the dimensions are good, the surrounds are compact which leads to a good atmosphere and perfect for a game like today, but there is always issues, I felt sorry for the supporters of both teams who were queueing up outside following the game on their phone as the action unfolded inside. They had arrived in time, forked out 15 euro and missed at least 10 minutes of the action. I can only imagine the impression of Cusack park they have on the way home. If I was a supporter of one of the club's involved I would have been in some rage.

dont agree with this at all , the reason for the training is because there is no competitive action for the players between now and the first round of the u20 championship , they are taking it seriously is a good thing , especially if michael neylon is involved , they will be fit if nothing else come the first round

the first game of the u20 championship is five weeks away so its expected they would be training heavy now

the burn out issue is different , playing intercounty games in december and january is a disgrace , its all to facilitate a club month in april

if the gaa was better planned the two all ireland finals should be played on the august weekend meaning that most club championships would be able to start in june and july from the point of teams getting knocked out of the championships

Windy I always love your analysis on all things GAA, but unfortunately this issue is where we agree to disagree.

From Freshers football to post-primary schools gaa, there are still loads of games that young lads are currently preparing with their respective colleges and schools. There is way too much demand on young GAA players these days, particularly from U16 up where most make their inter-county debut in the minor grade. I also thought that there was a ban on all inter-county training from the 21st December to the 30th December?

I agree 1000% plus on the rest of your post windy. Whoever sanctioned the U20 football championship to commence in February really are so detached from the real world. Inter-county matches and pre-season inter-county training in November and December should be abolished and hopefully the fixtures task-force committee will realize this and take appropriate action to address this farce of a situation. It's not fair on players in particular. Absolute disgraceful that this is happening and anyone that sees benefit in this over-training and flogging in that time of year are clearly out of touch with reality.

Playing the All-Ireland football and hurling finals in the August bank holiday weekend is something that I would support wholeheartedly for all the reasons that you suggested. However the cost of that would be that the Leinster and Munster senior hurling championships would have to return to straight knock-out. I cannot see any room for the current round robin format in both competitions to be completed in time for an August bank holiday weekend extravaganza. That's unless you abolish April "club month", which won't happen any time soon.

John Horan has been a disaster of a GAA president for several reasons, Tommy Murphy Cup 2.0 one such example. The 2020 master fixtures calendar, is an absolute farce and it's provocative and sets a dangerous precedent. If this is Mr Horan's brainchild, then the GAA is facing a very bleak future.

Especially so on younger players in Clare for example who have to manage their studies along with the likes of Harty and Corn Ui Mhuiri Cups and other post-primary schools GAA competitions, Freshers Football, Sigerson, Fitzgibbon, Trench Cups etc along with inter-county U17 and U20 inter-county training, plus training with your club. It's an unenviable position for any lad that has that schedule down on top of him. It cannot go on.

We are entering a new era in the GAA and one that I'm deeply concerned over. Professionalism and this win at all costs attitude, by coaches and managers, thinking that you need to train lads like devils, to achieve the best results, is a direct contrast of the amateur ethos of the GAA, which is now ever so distant to many players wondering whether the sport is what it should be.

It's a huge issue and hopefully this is not lost with the fixtures task force committee, which should give its findings by the time next month's GAA congress takes place. We cannot allow for words like "a missed opportunity" be heard, that's a clear sign of the committee not doing their job. It's an issue that is something as a GAA supporter and fan myself and one that wants the very best for players who are in the firing line, if this committee fails to address this comprehensively for once and for all. Interesting times ahead indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭Figerty

I presume this was a Croke park gig, not county board.

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭BloodyBill

Happens everytime in Cusack Park. Not enough staff on is just poor poor planning. It's so disappointing.
    Regarding the under 20s footballers training 5 times a week. It's a complete joke. The Munster under 20 rugby team dont do 5 field sessions a week and their professional. Its just over training. The sign of a manager who doesnt know what hes doing. They ll get a good whalloping by a team training 3 times a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭fire_man

Are the 20s doing 5 field sessions?Maybe they have 2 gym sessions and 3 on the field.

Result Liam O'Connor Cup U20 Football inter-county competition

Clare 2-17 Limerick 0-7

Very impressive second-half performance by the Banner men. We outscored the Shannonsiders 2-9 to 0-1 in the 2nd 30 mins. Mark McInerney was outstanding throughout with 0-7 (I think). Tom O'Brien did very well in goal with his razor sharp kick-outs a notable feature. Cillian Rouine was very impressive in centre-half. Oisin Looney and Eoin Rouine were also excellent in the middle of the field.

While up front, I thought that Seamus Casey did a really good job in the sweeper role. The ever industrious Shane Meehan and Eoghan Thynne who got Clare's second goal as sub, were also impressive. We did waste a good few chances also, but overall very encouraging stuff, with the intensity of our tackling and workrate were most impressive in the second-half. Emmet McMahon scored 3 points as a sub and looked a class apart

Next up its Offaly, next weekend (Time, date and venue TBC), in this very useful tournament for both players and management. Limerick were very poor though, but to score 2-17 in 60 mins of football was most encouraging. We looked in very good shape physically and defended with good discipline also. As I say that we did have 2 red cards, one for each team. I think it was Manus Doherty (not 100% certain on this) A good workout but much tougher tasks lie ahead for the Clare U20's.

does anyone have anywhere where I can watch the Limerick v Clare game in Sixmilebridge?

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭supernova5

anyone know if the clare/limerick game is going to be screened by irish examiner sport facebook page?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,118 ✭✭✭letowski

https://twitter.com/Live95Limerick/status/1213810043604348928

I don't know if this is how they are going to line out, but some interesting selections here nonetheless.

I'm away so I won't be able to see the game, but would be thankful for any updates of the game. It's not being shown on the Irish Examiner Sport Facebook page as far as I can see.

• Advertisement

https://twitter.com/GaaClare/status/1213831890907672577
    it's not over yet. If they win this I have a good feeling Clare could be Munster league champions. Sadly can't watch it though

• Registered Users Posts: 2,252 ✭✭✭Sterling Archer

Figerty wrote: »
    I presume this was a Croke park gig, not county board.

Run by Central council correct.. Not sure who was staff and stewards.. Regardless, for a game that big to have only 2 selling points and 1 turnstyle is atrocious behaviour.. Alas I feel we won't see or hear much about it or who was at fault within the Clare media

It appears that both Emmet McMahon and Cillian Rouine, both inter-county panelists with the Clare senior footballers can play both U20 and League. Last year the rules stated that no U20 player could play both inter-county senior and U20 championship while a county is involved in both competitions. However because the U20 championship will be completed by the end of March, that existing rule is null and void. Both lads were involved in Clarecastle with the U20's this morning. In McMahon's case he also came on as a late sub for the Clare seniors today against Waterford in Miltown Malbay.

On a separate note, after hearing Clare senior hurling manager Brian Lohan on Clare FM radio, lets just say the impression that I got from him was that Clare are doing quite some heavy training at the moment. No wonder why they were so poor today!

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭BloodyBill

I'd say Limerick are doing heavy training too to be fair. They have a better team.at the moment. It's as simple as that and we ll struggle to beat them in Ennis come Championship. I think Lohan is doing alot right. The whole dynamic has changed and it's a more 'personal responsibility' based game plan.

What an occasion this match is going to be and the correct decision has been made re venue. Really looking forward to this and I will be there!!

https://twitter.com/GaaClare/status/1213928374701346816

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

What an occasion this match is going to be and the correct decision has been made re venue. Really looking forward to this and I will be there!!

https://twitter.com/GaaClare/status/1213928374701346816

For those who can't be there the Clare Champion are going to be live streaming it

https://twitter.com/ClareChampion/status/1214182366941470721?s=20

Advertisement