Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clare GAA Discussion part 2 , No Purple Jumpers Allowed !!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 336 ✭✭Banner2theend

24 mins left

Offaly 4-4 Clare 3-6

Game On!!!!!

Midway through second half in Liam O'Connor Cup final

Offaly 4-5 Clare 3-6

Clare U20 footballers have yet to score for over 20 mins now. With 5 mins of normal time remaining its Offaly 4-6 Clare 3-6

Very disappointing end in Miltown Malbay as Offaly go 4 in front with 2 mins left.

FT Offaly 4-7 Clare 3-7

Offaly U20 Footballers successfully retain the Liam O'Connor Cup, that they won in 2019.

The Clare U20 footballers next competitive encounter will be in the Munster Championship, where they will take on Waterford in Miltown Malbay on Wednesday February 19th with a 7 pm throw-in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 977 ✭✭✭fire_man

Anyone at the U 20 game in Miltown.How are they shaping up ?Alot of goals to concede.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭Feenie

letowski wrote: »
    Very true. Full back and Center forward are the two positions we badly need players to emerge there. It's been a long time actually since Clare last produced a natural quality center forward. Kelly is more of a hybrid center forward to way he roams out of the position and doesn't contest puckouts.

Center back too, but I think the importance of the center back isn't as big as it was 20 years ago. Back in those days, you needed your 6 to be commanding, dominant in the air and good reader of the game. Nowadays, center backs don't really mark their men and just sit deep in front of the full back to protect him. The role is different now. Not many Seanie Mc, Ken McGraths, Ronan Curran's been produced by counties nowadays, which is a little sad to be honest.

not a simple question, but out of a current squad, what would a perfect starting 15 look like for you?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,109 ✭✭✭letowski

Feenie wrote: »
    not a simple question, but out of a current squad, what would a perfect starting 15 look like for you?

I don't know to be honest. I'm not sure Conor Cleary will be the answer to full back but admittedly I don't know of an alternative to him there. We have a couple of good underage full backs but they won't be ready for another couple of years. I'd like to see David McInerney at center back, but again, I wouldn't know who else I'd put to go alongside Colm Galvin. Shane Golden is below average at this level.

So I'm really hoping Lohan's selection works out. I like that he is trying to shake things up a bit, even if he is using mostly the same players. He doesn't have much young players coming through around their early 20s anyway.

I need to see how he using Tony Kelly, but I think his team in the championship will look something like:

Touhy
    Quirke - Cleary - Browne
    McCarthy - O'Connor - O'Halloran/Malone
    Galvin - McInerney
    Fitzgerald - Kelly - Ryan
    O'Donnell - Conlon - Ian Galvin*

*If Kelly plays the roaming role, then Ian Galvin makes way for David Reidy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭Gael85

KIB4Life wrote: »
    Clare are once again being predicted for relegation from Division 2 by many experts in the national media. Hopefully once again Clare can prove them wrong and at the very least consolidate their place in Division 2.

There’s no doubt that Clare are missing some superb players in Gary, Jamie, Yank and Aaron Fitzgerald, but like Colm Collins said in an interview they have added Ciaran Russell, Keelan, Pearse Lillis who all weren’t available for Clare in last years Championship and Dermot Coughlan was only coming back from injury, so them four players certainly won’t weaken the team in any way. So as Colm Collins there is no doom and gloom for the Clare team.

There is no team in the Division that Clare should fear. Also other teams in the Division have had key players gone from their panel such as Laois who have lost the Kingston’s and Steven Attride.

Cavan have lost Dara McVeety, Conor Moynagh, Killian Clarke, Conor Rahill and Michael Argue

Fermanagh will be without key forwards and free taker Sean Quigley.

Roscommon will have to do without Conor Cox for the first few games who is injured.

Westmeath have Ger Egan and Kieran Martin our through injury.

Kildare have lost Ben McCormack, Mark Dempsey and James Murray. But Daniel Flynn, Paul Cribbin, Niall Kelly and Johnny Byrne have returned to the panel so like Clare, they have got quality players returning back into the panel.

Armagh really are the only team in the Division that haven’t lost any players from what I have heard anyone. I would tip them for promotion, as I feel from Midfield up that they have some real quality with the Likes on the O’Neill’s, Jarlath Og Burns, Stefan Campbell, Jamie Clarke, Rory Grugan and Andrew Murnin just to name a few are all players with the potential to cause damage to team on their day.

I feel overall Clare should be at least be targeting wins against Westmeath, Cavan, Fermanagh and Laois, which should be enough to see them gain safety.

This years for Clare I feel is similar to 2018 when Clare had a huge number of players who weren’t available from the 2017 panel for a variety of reasons such as retirement, injury, travel and players such as Gordon Kelly, Jamie Malone and Ciaran Russell being suspended that year.

Clare drew two games that year against Tipp and Cavan at home, which were both games that Clare should have won and if Clare had won them games they won have got promoted to Division 1, so if any manager in the country can deal with losing players and bringing through players that Colm Collins is probably the man that can do it.

Darragh Bohannon and Kieran Malone gone too. Malone especially was a good impact sub over the years. Don't think Lillis is suited to centre back, would rather have Cillian Brennan or Dean Ryan there.

letowski wrote: »
    I don't know to be honest. I'm not sure Conor Cleary will be the answer to full back but admittedly I don't know of an alternative to him there. We have a couple of good underage full backs but they won't be ready for another couple of years. I'd like to see David McInerney at center back, but again, I wouldn't know who else I'd put to go alongside Colm Galvin. Shane Golden is below average at this level.

So I'm really hoping Lohan's selection works out. I like that he is trying to shake things up a bit, even if he is using mostly the same players. He doesn't have much young players coming through around their early 20s anyway.

I need to see how he using Tony Kelly, but I think his team in the championship will look something like:

Touhy
    Quirke - Cleary - Browne
    McCarthy - O'Connor - O'Halloran/Malone
    Galvin - McInerney
    Fitzgerald - Kelly - Ryan
    O'Donnell - Conlon - Ian Galvin*

*If Kelly plays the roaming role, then Ian Galvin makes way for David Reidy.

Not a back selection, but here's how I'd line things out

Touhy
    Morey-Cleary-Browne
    O'Connor-McInerney-Fitzgerald
    Galvin-Kelly
    Deasy-Ryan-Taylor
    Collins-O'Donell-Conlon
    This is more based off what we can do right now, so sadly no duggan.

• Advertisement

Overall a disappointing weekend for Clare GAA, with St Flannans the highlight of the weekend from a Clare GAA point of view.

Clare 1-27 Carlow 0-14

So Clare as expected ran out comfortable 16 point winners against a plucky Carlow team today at the Park.

The first half performance was not good at all. Carlow fired 4 quick fire points at the first 5 mins of the game, with Shane O'Donnell grabbing Clare's only goal from the game at the 4th minute. To be honest our work-rate was non existent and we allowed to be dragged to a bit of a dogfight. Once again our poor tackling and discipline led to silly frees being given away. When we did have possession we wasted it with poor option taking, taking speculative pot shots from out the field. 8 wides in the 1st 35 mins for the Banner men. Half Time score was Clare 1-12 Carlow 0-9

The second half was better. Again some of our shot selection left an awful lot to be desired. However what we did do compared to the 1st half, was an improvement in our workrate from out the field, with John Conlan leading by example. In truth as I predicted Carlow faded, not helped by a straight red card for Edward Byrne in the 64th minute. Overall average enough stuff for this time of year.

For Clare I felt that Tony Kelly looked very sharp, good first touch and caused huge problems to the opposition with his agility and his ability to glide through the middle. 0-13 for the Ballyea man. Aidan McCarthy was really good too, and his aerial ability along with his good reading of the game was most impressive and chipped in with 2 points. However I think he really needs to stop this "shooting on sight" policy, at times he goes for a "Hollywood" score, rather than the correct option of laying the sliotar off to the man at the best position. Pat O'Connor looked good at centre half and in general the defense hadn't much to worry about against a blunt Barrowsiders attack.

So in total a decent start but obviously much more tougher tasks lay ahead, with Wexford next week waiting in the wings for the men in saffron and blue. God I would love to silence DF and his fan club in 7 days time. As one famous manager once put it "I would luv it, if we beat them!!!"

Very disappointing to hear of Clare's narrow defeat to Westmeath. Colm Collins owes nothing to Clare football, but perhaps surviving in Division 2, might be a bridge to far. As for Scariff-Ogonnelloe camogie team, wow what heart they showed today. While they just were pipped at the post, it has been a fairytale year for the East Clare combo. While the Clare ladies footballers conceded 5 goals today against Armagh in Doonbeg today, and look to be up against in NFL Division 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,782 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

Very disappointing to hear of Clare's narrow defeat to Westmeath. Colm Collins owes nothing to Clare football, but perhaps surviving in Division 2, might be a bridge to far. Division 2.

not the end or the world for the footballers , 76th minute free to lose the game away from home is disappointing and frustrating , after a good start thanks to a gavin cooney goal clare were playing well in the first 15 minutes , the next 20 minutes was the wining and losing of the game
    clare dropped off too much in there efforts and westmeath took over , it was only 1-6 to 1-3 at the break but the momentum was all with the home side

when westmeath got there second goal 10 minutes after the restart it looked like game over ,

if we repeat our first half performance clare will get relegated this year , the second half especially the last 25 minutes was more like the clare side we are used to watching under collins , in which a 5 point depict was cut back and sides level on the 70 minute mark

the second half performance has to be the bench mark if we are staying in division 2 , there seems to be a number of teams in transition at the moment ,the games at home to fermanagh, laois are must win now cavan look to be in a bit of bother too so the game in brefni in 5 weeks time could be huge also cant see us beating any of kildare armagh or roscommon though

clare scorers
    David Tubridy (0-08 7f),
    Gavin Cooney (1-00),
    Eoin Cleary (0-01 1f),
    Keelan Sexton (0-01),
    Dermot Coughlan (0-01).

PkBYkC.jpg

yrfdD7.jpg

9ILNor.png

Look at the scorers for Clare today. 8 points for David Tubridy. The rest 1-3. This will be Tubs' final year in a Clare senior jersey. Owes nothing to the jersey, a Clare legend, but God our over reliance on the Doonbeg man to get us out of jail is most worrying.

According to some who were at the game and backs up everything windy has mentioned, we started well but workrate was non existent thereafter. The Lake County were able to pick out their man better. Despite our wind advantage, we still went to the dressing rooms, two points down.

Westmeath were missing John Egan and Kieran Martin, two huge players for them, so this was a wasted opportunity indeed for the Clare senior footballers.

Other stuff like taking the wrong option in front of goal, forwards not tracking back to cover defensive positions, giving cheap possession back to the opposition, conceding turnovers, all these things that Colm Collins repeats again, again and again for the squad to avoid at all costs.

Next up its Kildare in Cusack Park, next Sunday at 2 pm. Kildare have some bloody good and skillful footballers and are very fit and physically strong. Never say never with this Clare team, but I for some reason believe that this might be Colm Collins's toughest challenge yet, that might ultimately led to relegation to Div.3. God I hope I'm wrong, but when your lose a 1/3 of your preferred starting 15 from 2019, for a county like ourselves, that is just too much to take.

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭Treble double

not the end or the world for the footballers , 76th minute free to lose the game away from home is disappointing and frustrating , after a good start thanks to a gavin cooney goal clare were playing well in the first 15 minutes , the next 20 minutes was the wining and losing of the game
    clare dropped off too much in there efforts and westmeath took over , it was only 1-6 to 1-3 at the break but the momentum was all with the home side

when westmeath got there second goal 10 minutes after the restart it looked like game over ,

if we repeat our first half performance clare will get relegated this year , the second half especially the last 25 minutes was more like the clare side we are used to watching under collins , in which a 5 point depict was cut back and sides level on the 70 minute mark

the second half performance has to be the bench mark if we are staying in division 2 , there seems to be a number of teams in transition at the moment ,the games at home to fermanagh, laois are must win now cavan look to be in a bit of bother too so the game in brefni in 5 weeks time could be huge also cant see us beating any of kildare armagh or roscommon though

clare scorers
    David Tubridy (0-08 7f),
    Gavin Cooney (1-00),
    Eoin Cleary (0-01 1f),
    Keelan Sexton (0-01),
    Dermot Coughlan (0-01).

PkBYkC.jpg

The footballers looked exactly like a team missing four of their best players today, they battled hard but in truth Westmeath are an average to poor side.
    Clare were slow and lateral in their build up and had no one with the pace and power to break the Westmeath cover and create openings for the forwards ala Gary Brennan or Jamie Malone, Clare only created one clear cut opening which resulted in the goal early in the game, the majority of their scores came from frees and I thought the ref gave plenty soft ones, we were also opened quiet easily when Westmeath secured possession around the middle of the field. This looks like Clare Lite compared to the more dynamic version of the last 2/3 years and it is going to be a dour bitter struggle to survive. Cian O Dea I thought was excellent, David Tubridy was sharp from frees and play but it is easy to double mark him when we have little threat from elsewhere, Dermot Coughlan showed some promising signs, but he takes too much out of the ball and got sin binned, Cathal O Connor put in a shift as usual. But the signs I'm afraid are ominous.

The footballers looked exactly like a team missing four of their best players today, they battled hard but in truth Westmeath are an average to poor side.
    Clare were slow and lateral in their build up and had no one with the pace and power to break the Westmeath cover and create openings for the forwards ala Gary Brennan or Jamie Malone, Clare only created one clear cut opening which resulted in the goal early in the game, the majority of their scores came from frees and I thought the ref gave plenty soft ones, we were also opened quiet easily when Westmeath secured possession around the middle of the field. This looks like Clare Lite compared to the more dynamic version of the last 2/3 years and it is going to be a dour bitter struggle to survive. Cian O Dea I thought was excellent, David Tubridy was sharp from frees and play but it is easy to double mark him when we have little threat from elsewhere, Dermot Coughlan showed some promising signs, but he takes too much out of the ball and got sin binned, Cathal O Connor put in a shift as usual. But the signs I'm afraid are ominous.

amm .... we struggled over the line beating them by a point last year with brennan , malone and the yank playing , also they were without ray connellan and heslin was given a soft black card after only a few minutes

every team in the division are without several players look at cavan and roscommon for example

i always felt them players were the reason we did well against the bigger teams , i feel the squad we have is good enough to compete at this level against most teams and today we came up short by the narrowest of margins

to be fair to westmeath they have some excellent players the likes of connellen denis corroon heslin and boidu sayeh would probably be instant starters on the clare team

Hammering of Carlow. Had a good day out in Cusack Park.
    I was very happy with Shane O'Donnell, John Conlon, Tony Kelly and Aidan McCarthy (Man of the match for me). Shane O'Donnell with an early point and goal, very good for Clare in putting a fat wedge between the barrow and the banner.
    Tony Kelly very good on the frees and from play. Not a bad idea to put him on the frees when they're in the backline or the 65s, could definitely keep him in the games.
    Aidan McCarthy held down Wing Back very well and had a similar role to David Fitzgerald, going forward and scoring long range points.
    John Conlon good as always however an odd thing was him scoring from a free. not a good idea to put him on the frees.
    Ryan Taylor was also very good but he might want to work on scoring and passing less.
    We might want to consider Domhall McMahon aswell more, however bring him on earlier would be a good idea. He made some silly mistakes when he first came out.
    David Fitzgerald scored 2 from play but I felt he could have done better. It's a good idea to keep him in the backs.
    However the biggest things I saw in Clare was a new found aggression. Clare came out seeming angry. Even though Carlow are no great rivals with us, Clare seemed to be putting down a marker. Maybe they need to channel that aggression more without giving away as many frees, but it's a step forward for a Clare team that got pushed around by Tipperary and Limerick. Brian needs to lay down more discipline with modern free takers like Gillane and Horgan being able to do the damage upfront. However I noticed the backs did a good job holding down their positions. Against Limerick however I think Clare should go man for man.

Hammering of Carlow. Had a good day out in Cusack Park.
    I was very happy with Shane O'Donnell, John Conlon, Tony Kelly and Aidan McCarthy (Man of the match for me). Shane O'Donnell with an early point and goal, very good for Clare in putting a fat wedge between the barrow and the banner.
    Tony Kelly very good on the frees and from play. Not a bad idea to put him on the frees when they're in the backline or the 65s, could definitely keep him in the games.
    Aidan McCarthy held down Wing Back very well and had a similar role to David Fitzgerald, going forward and scoring long range points.
    John Conlon good as always however an odd thing was him scoring from a free. not a good idea to put him on the frees.
    Ryan Taylor was also very good but he might want to work on scoring and passing less.
    We might want to consider Domhall McMahon aswell more, however bring him on earlier would be a good idea. He made some silly mistakes when he first came out.
    David Fitzgerald scored 2 from play but I felt he could have done better. It's a good idea to keep him in the backs.
    However the biggest things I saw in Clare was a new found aggression. Clare came out seeming angry. Even though Carlow are no great rivals with us, Clare seemed to be putting down a marker. Maybe they need to channel that aggression more without giving away as many frees, but it's a step forward for a Clare team that got pushed around by Tipperary and Limerick. Brian needs to lay down more discipline with modern free takers like Gillane and Horgan being able to do the damage upfront. However I noticed the backs did a good job holding down their positions. Against Limerick however I think Clare should go man for man.

Agreed on most of this analysis. Domhnall McMahon is a player with huge potential and has that all important physique and has a range of a score that could be most important going forward.

David Fitzgerald is way too loose as a defender, and makes some awful rash decisions, which leads to poor discipline. I like him playing as centre half forward though, he is very direct too and can be a good target man.

You mention our workrate and more aggression today. IMO I saw none of that in the 1st half, although as I mentioned in my earlier post, of an improvement in that department in the 2nd 35 mins.

Finally I like Ryan Taylor as a hurler. He brings something different an energy and great work off the ball. It's midfield or nowhere for the Clooney Quin, he was sort of lost at left corner forward today. He plays his best when make runs from deep and has huge pace to burn.

Overall a lot to be reasonably positive about today. Wexford in Wexford Park next week is huge. Everyone knows my opinions about DF, and wouldn't it be just fantastic if Brian Lohan can lead his team to the lions den and for once put a bit of manners into Fitz jnr. That's my hope anyways!

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭Treble double

amm .... we struggled over the line beating them by a point last year with brennan , malone and the yank playing , also they were without ray connellan and heslin was given a soft black card after only a few minutes

every team in the division are without several players look at cavan and roscommon for example

i always felt them players were the reason we did well against the bigger teams , i feel the squad we have is good enough to compete at this level against most teams and today we came up short by the narrowest of margins

to be fair to westmeath they have some excellent players the likes of connellen denis corroon heslin and boidu sayeh would probably be instant starters on the clare team

We had never lost to Westmeath in league or championship prior to today, like I say the signs are ominous, Jack o Connors Kildare next week with Daryl Flynn back in harness is worrying, Look Collins has managed to keep us a this level for a few years now and hopefully he can do it again, but today had a vibe of a team that has peaked and is going into decline

We had never lost to Westmeath in league or championship prior to today, like I say the signs are ominous, Jack o Connors Kildare next week with Daryl Flynn back in harness is worrying, Look Collins has managed to keep us a this level for a few years now and hopefully he can do it again, but today had a vibe of a team that has peaked and is going into decline

your probably right , but if i had a euro fro every time i heard someone say clare are getting relegated i would be on a yacht of the coast of Monaco now

i genuinely believe we are at the level we should be at , in terms of underage structures and club structures and players available for selection ect.. i dont think the current laois fermanagh or even cavan teams are much better, roscommon have lost a serious number of players also , the opportunity are there to stay up , and yes repeat the performance of say the first 45 minutes of todays game over the next 8 weeks and we will be heading south no doubt

• Advertisement

Agreed on most of this analysis. Domhnall McMahon is a player with huge potential and has that all important physique and has a range of a score that could be most important going forward.

David Fitzgerald is way too loose as a defender, and makes some awful rash decisions, which leads to poor discipline. I like him playing as centre half forward though, he is very direct too and can be a good target man.

You mention our workrate and more aggression today. IMO I saw none of that in the 1st half, although as I mentioned in my earlier post, of an improvement in that department in the 2nd 35 mins.

Finally I like Ryan Taylor as a hurler. He brings something different an energy and great work off the ball. It's midfield or nowhere for the Clooney Quin, he was sort of lost at left corner forward today. He plays his best when make runs from deep and has huge pace to burn.

Overall a lot to be reasonably positive about today. Wexford in Wexford Park next week is huge. Everyone knows my opinions about DF, and wouldn't it be just fantastic if Brian Lohan can lead his team to the lions den and for once put a bit of manners into Fitz jnr. That's my hope anyways!

It's hard to analyze Fitzy's marking since that isn't his strong point. I think he needs to copper down and learn to mark, which might come with age or he might have to warm the bench. To put it simply I think we have better options than him in the forwards. But he's still a brilliant player at his best. Very good against Limerick in 2018!
    I saw a small bit in the first half but it definitely ramped up in the first half. For a Clare-Carlow game there was a lot of pushing and shoving. I have to say Liam Gordon seemed very unfair towards Clare. He gave out some very soft frees. However a fair red card.
    I pointed out from the start that Ryan didn't belong that far forward.
    Good post from you aswell, I'll watch that Wexford game anyway-It's big for Brian. Does anyone know if it'll be shown on the sunday game?

It's hard to analyze Fitzy's marking since that isn't his strong point. I think he needs to copper down and learn to mark, which might come with age or he might have to warm the bench. To put it simply I think we have better options than him in the forwards. But he's still a brilliant player at his best. Very good against Limerick in 2018!
    I saw a small bit in the first half but it definitely ramped up in the first half. For a Clare-Carlow game there was a lot of pushing and shoving. I have to say Liam Gordon seemed very unfair towards Clare. He gave out some very soft frees. However a fair red card.
    I pointed out from the start that Ryan didn't belong that far forward.
    Good post from you aswell, I'll watch that Wexford game anyway-It's big for Brian. Does anyone know if it'll be shown on the sunday game?

Deferred coverage next Sunday on TG4.

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭supernova5

Does anyone have the Clare starting 15 and the over all match day squad for the game against Carlow yesterday?

supernova5 wrote: »
    Does anyone have the Clare starting 15 and the over all match day squad for the game against Carlow yesterday?

in fairness lohan covered nearly the entire county with his selection yesterday ,
    with all 4 corners of the county represented form whitegate to miltown and clonlara to michael cusacks which is fantastic to see

Clare -
    Donal Tuohy; (Crusheen)
    Jack Browne, (Ballyea)
    Conor Cleary, (Miltown)
    Eoin Quirke; (whitegate)
    Adian McCarthy (inagh/K)
    Pat O'Connor (Tubber)
    Stephan O'Halloran; (Clarecastle)
    David McInerney (Tulla)
    Tony Kelly (Ballyea)
    Ian Galvin (Clonlara)
    David Fitzgerald (inagh/K)
    David Reidy (Eire og)
    Ryan Taylor (Clooney/Quinn)
    John Conlon (Clonlara)
    Shane O'Donnell (Eire og)

used subs

Donal McMahon ( Michael Cusacks)
    Liam Corry (Eire og)
    Seadna Morey (Sixmilebridge)
    Colin Guilfoyle (Newmarket)
    Niall Deasy ( ballyea)

Unused subs

Ebheair Qulligan (feakle)
    Cathal Malone (Ennistymon)
    Paudi Fitzpatrick ( Sixmilebridge)
    Cathal Mcinerney (Cratloe)
    Aaron Shanagher (Wolfe tones)
    Stiofan McMahon (Broadford)

KukO9j.jpg[/URL]

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭supernova5

Thanks Windy Shepard,

I'm really concerned about the lack of squad expansion and especially the persistence of starting the vast majority of those same players [all big name players] for league games.
    This is exactly following the same pattern as what the management for the previous 3 years did and look where that got us [apart from Summer of 2018]

All the other leading counties are trying out large numbers of new players from their squads and throwing them into the deep end [Waterford last Sunday prime example]

I hate to have to admit this but the conservative, lack of ambition/afraid to take a chance approach will seriously come back to haunt Clare again this year

Anyone have list of subs from Westmeath game?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,863 ✭✭✭Pogue eile

supernova5 wrote: »
    Thanks Windy Shepard,

I'm really concerned about the lack of squad expansion and especially the persistence of starting the vast majority of those same players [all big name players] for league games.
    This is exactly following the same pattern as what the management for the previous 3 years did and look where that got us [apart from Summer of 2018]

All the other leading counties are trying out large numbers of new players from their squads and throwing them into the deep end [Waterford last Sunday prime example]

I hate to have to admit this but the conservative, lack of ambition/afraid to take a chance approach will seriously come back to haunt Clare again this year

Only 8 of Clare's starting 15 on Sunday started the last Championship match and only 3 of those were in the same line of the field, any more experimentation would render it pointless. I don't know about other counties apart from the one my own was involved in and both Limerick and Tipp also started with 8 of the same players as there last championship match and all of Limericks subs introduced were starters from the previous year.

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭Marty Xavier

Agree, no more than Andy Farrell in the rugby, Lohan needs to blend youth with experience, if we see 2 or 3 lads putting their hands up for starting roles in May I'd be happy. Win a few games and get people on board.

Gael85 wrote: »
    Anyone have list of subs from Westmeath game?

Subs: used
    Cormac Murray , (Miltown)
    Alan Sweeney, (St Breckans)
    Eoin Collins , (Ballyhaunis)
    Ciarán Downes (Kilmihil)
    Dale Masterson (St Breckans)

Unused subs

Éamon Tubridy (Doonbeg)
    Ciarán Morrissey (Kilmurry-Ibrickane)
    Jack Morrissey (Cooraclare)
    Emmet McMahon (Kildysart)
    Jack Sheedy (St Breckans)
    Gearoid O'Brien (Kilrush)

• Advertisement

Subs: used
    Cormac Murray , (Miltown)
    Alan Sweeney, (St Breckans)
    Eoin Collins , (Ballyhaunis)
    Ciarán Downes (Kilmihil)
    Dale Masterson (St Breckans)

Unused subs

Éamon Tubridy (Doonbeg)
    Ciarán Morrissey (Kilmurry-Ibrickane)
    Jack Morrissey (Cooraclare)
    Emmet McMahon (Kildysart)
    Jack Sheedy (St Breckans)
    Gearoid O'Brien (Kilrush)

Thanks for that. Would of thought Dale Masterson would have got more game time? He was played centre back for Garda in Sigerson Cup. is Joe McGann involved? Conal O'hAinefin and Einne O'Connor must be injured?

Advertisement