Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Winter 2019/2020 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Blessings and peace to all this Christmas morning! So deeply silent out here. Very dark and chill but so peaceful. Tree lights and candle lights shining out over the invisible whispering ocean that has seen more Christmasses than we will ever knows.

May it last! Peace to all . Enjoy the day wherever you are!

West Mayo offshore island

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭john why

Happy Christmas folks from a frosty D15.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭ZX7R

Happy Christmas
    Roads are very bad with black ice outside of towns

• Registered Users Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭Comhrá

Happy Christmas to all. Lovely to see white frost on all our roofs hedges and shrubs this morning. The most seasonal and closest to a white Christmas I've seen for many years here in Limerick City.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Happy Christmas all! A wet morning in cork but feeling festive
    . It's cold and there was frost on the cars when we woke up! Better then 10 degrees and warm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭SeaBreezes

Happy Christmas all. Mild on the south coast wind starting to pick up

Very still and chilly, but blessedly dry and calm. A lovely Christmas Day .

west mayo offshore

And wind whispering louder in the background. Dark clouds gathering.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

probably sums up Dublin at the moment, waiting for family to arrive to go for a walk on the beach before din dins :D

https://twitter.com/MetEireann/status/1209827577134800896

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

still a few patches of frost on the ground here in Meath but fairly cloudy now.

Today is the second day this winter where frost has lasted most of the day on the ground. I don't think we had that once last winter.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,824 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Happy Christmas to all!

Hope everyone is enjoying the day.

CSwSy63.gif

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,824 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Twin Storms out in the Atlantic today

FEsFcro.png?1

b5aK4tG.png?1

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭Goldfinch8

Dawn breaking in Mayo. Christmas morning 2019. Happy Christmas folks.

Happy Christmas to all!

Hope everyone is enjoying the day.

CSwSy63.gif

This is weird! For some reason I decided to take a photo of MY fire but not moved it to computer yet.. I open this thread ! WEIRD !

• Registered Users Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Strong gusts every so often in cork city with showers every so often aswell. Luckily it was nice during the day and festive feeling with the cold before it got stormy and mild

A wild, vociferous night out here. Signature theme is the wind. Yesterday was blessedly calm and still. West Mayo offshore

• Closed Accounts Posts: 452 ✭✭Logan Roy

Very mild in East Cork today. 12 degrees. It’s not the cold festive period most of us wanted but at least it looks like being mostly dry so great for getting out and about :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Up to 9.6c in south Laois now following 1.4mm overnight rain. Partly cloudy and a few drops of drizzle or light rain blowing in an annoying SWerly breeze. Everywhere damp.

Sheeting down out here. Rare I call a day appalling but today earns that title! Grumbling grey, sodden sight, chilly ….. a day to light candles, leave the fairy lights on, pile the stove high and hibernate with youtube and Christmas leftovers...

Oh and did I mention the grizzling, grousing wind! :rolleyes: Snapping and snarling and throwing icy water around.... lol...

West Mayo offshore

• Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭Hooter23

We had great weather for Christmas day compared to the disaster we have today...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,066 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Certainly wont mind going to the local today. Damp dark and wet here. Watching the horse racing,looks a nice day in the east.

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭Timistry

Had biblical rain in Kerry overnight. Rain and mist down to the ground today. Rotten

• Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭esposito

Certainly wont mind going to the local today. Damp dark and wet here. Watching the horse racing,looks a nice day in the east.

It is indeed a nice day in the east. Back from a lovely walk and even though I’m not a lover of mild weather, it actually felt pleasant. Dry and mild ain’t that bad after all!
    Hoping colder weather arrives at some point in January but we might have to wait ‘til Feb

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,981 ✭✭✭Naggdefy

With quite a mild outlook it looks like we'll be saving a bit on heating. I don't mind if most of the winter is mild. Just give me a prolonged 2-3 week blast of severe wintry weather between the 20th January and 10th February, ice days, snow, a couple of blizzards, 3 days red warning off work for snow and ice, temp recorded below -10C :) Without any pipes bursting!!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Naggdefy wrote: »
    With quite a mild outlook it looks like we'll be saving a bit on heating. I don't mind if most of the winter is mild. Just give me a prolonged 2-3 week blast of severe wintry weather between the 20th January and 10th February, ice days, snow, a couple of blizzards, 3 days red warning off work for snow and ice, temp recorded below -10C :) Without any pipes bursting!!

We appear to be locked in to a potentially prolonged mild spell, right now we have just about everything going against us for cold weather. Looks like the first half of January is going to be mild or very mild. The AO and NAO look set to go extremely positive over the next week, helping to keep the Atlantic powered up. The Polar Vortex also very contained over the North Pole. We need something major like a powerful SSW to have a hope of changing the current winter weather pattern. The gfs has been hinting at a SSW for some time now but backs off this idea every few days.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

Gonzo wrote: »
    We appear to be locked in to a potentially prolonged mild spell, right now we have just about everything going against us for cold weather. Looks like the first half of January is going to be mild or very mild. The AO and NAO look set to go extremely positive over the next week, helping to keep the Atlantic powered up. The Polar Vortex also very contained over the North Pole. We need something major like a powerful SSW to have a hope of changing the current winter weather pattern. The gfs has been hinting at a SSW for some time now but backs off this idea every few days.

So if this verifies basically a repeat of Jan/Feb 2019 then.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,513 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Just give us an extended dry spell, cold or mild (and I don't mean the damp drizzly crap we usually get).

Definitely a very mild signal overall with a cold strat syncing with the trop resulting in an intensified tropospheric polar vortex. Looking like the strongest TPV during this point of the season since at least 2015-16.

IF January continues with temperatures in the double digits till the end of the month then January could end up being warmer than November and December. If this pattern with long fetch southwesterlies and plumes up from the Canarys was to continue all the way through winter then a repeat of February 2019 could happen. In the meantime lets hope something major happens over the next few weeks that will disrupt this pattern and the Atlantic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭Billcarson

What the seasonal models were showing back in the autumn for this winter seems to be materialising sadly ,very positive nao.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

Hopefully. Mild weather lower heating bills easier commute to work. Happy Christmas all.

Advertisement