Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wind / Rainfall warnings :Potentially very windy Weds 18th Dec 2019

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭ltdslipdiff

Looking at sat24 we might get some lightning a little later?

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭Monkeynut

flazio wrote: »
    Who named it Elsa?
    Disney :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,981 ✭✭✭squarecircles

Authorities in Galway have advised people to avoid the promenade where waves are overtopping.
    Galway City Council says trees are down in a number of areas and people should not "venture outdoors unless absolutely necessary".
    Met Éireann has said it will remain very windy tonight with severe and damaging gusts in parts of Connacht for a time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭4Ad

I thought it had died down here in East Clare, but it has pick up alot in the last 10 mins..
    Worst wind in a while..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,729 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

The Portuguese Met Service

It would have been a perfect name for a storm that is a beast from the east, here comes Elsa and be prepared to be frozen :pac:
    Instead we got Emma, Portugal should have used Elsa last year...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,726 ✭✭✭endainoz

Its an active and quite prominent twitter account dealing with Irish weather in general. Has 18,000 followers.

And a fantastic source for information too, none of the sensationalist stuff the other prominent news outlets throw out.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Went to Salthill it was unreal terrible flooding huge waves people trapped in cars on the main road .Never saw so many fire. Ambulance and Garda cars roads all closed people in car that are trapped flashing lights and blowing horns fair play to the fire service for rescuing them. I recorded wind gusts of 78mph definitely a night to remember here lots of video going up on twitter check out Galway City Tribune lots of video etc there

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

endainoz wrote: »
    And a fantastic source for information too, none of the sensationalist stuff the other prominent news outlets throw out.
    Nonsense, he ramps up an awful lot too and often gets it very wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Villain wrote: »
    Haha! I tweet about weather all over Ireland :D
    Carlow imperialism at its most blatant.:mad:

New Moon

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,824 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

t9wCOTx.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Lissavane

Storm 10 wrote: »
    Went to Salthill it was unreal terrible flooding huge waves people trapped in cars on the main road .Never saw so many fire. Ambulance and Garda cars roads all closed people in car that are trapped flashing lights and blowing horns fair play to the fire service for rescuing them. I recorded wind gusts of 78mph definitely a night to remember here lots of video going up on twitter
    Pity Met Éireann didn't see it coming until 20:00.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,824 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Fierce here in SW Donegal right now

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Nonsense, he ramps up an awful lot too and often gets it very wrong.

Best part about me posting publicly is everyone gets to have an opinion on my posts :D

My best advice to those who don’t like it is to not follow.

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭Monkeynut

Lissavane wrote: »

To be honest, whether it's Yellow or Orange, you should never park in Salthill at high tide during a storm. Any storm! All the locals know that. The water actually comes up from underneath the car parks. It's why people always get caught out. They expect the water/waves to come over the top of the Prom wall but it is already coming up behind them through gaps in the boulders.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭circadian

Your man that posted the video telling people to get tgeir cars. It didn't look like that was a good idea at that point. The video of 15 minutes later reinforces that. Crazy to suggest someone goes and gets their car in that weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,066 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

take that chip on your shoulder and have a read of forecasts about 24 hours back ,both on tv and on radio. then come back :) you were probably waiting on the click bait article to appear

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

Holy **** it's like a hurrican here, I can't remember seeing it this bad.

South sligo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Lissavane

So much for a weather forecast or warning:

"Status Orange - Wind warning for Galway and Mayo

Strong southerly winds, veering southwest will reach mean speeds of 65 to 80km/h with gusts up to 120km/h for a short time tonight.

Valid: 21:00 Wednesday 18/12/2019 to 01:00 Thursday 19/12/2019

Issued: 20:00 Wednesday 18/12/2019"

We'd be better off consulting our barometers than rely on Met Éireann. It's a shame how their service has deteriorated, despite advances in technology.
    The ludicrous system of countywide colour coded weather warnings tends to lull people into a false sense of security. Mayo and Galway are large counties, stretching from the Atlantic coast to the midlands.
    This feels like the worst storm of the year in East Mayo but I may be wrong. Figures from Claremorris and Knock Airport will tell the tale.
    take that chip on your shoulder and have a read of forecasts about 24 hours back ,both on tv and on radio. then come back :) you were probably waiting on the click bait article to appear

I wasn't waiting on any article, mate. I made my views clear previously.

Totally died down here but the rain now making as much noise as the wind earlier.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭mobil 222

JJayoo wrote: »
    Holy **** it's like a hurrican here, I can't remember seeing it this bad.

South sligo

Same here outside Sligo Town .Unbelievable gusts at times.
    The worst around Sligo for a long time.

Easing off rapidly in Galway. Time for bed. Night night all.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭John.Icy

That's on you for ignoring a yellow which is winds to 110km/h, which the majority of the South and West stayed under. A slender strip of orange gusts by the looks - Athenry didn't even reach 90km/h. Newport and Claremorris also not reaching Orange.

A very weird distribution of wind out West.

Just bin the technical element to the warnings. You actually cannot successfully warn a storm in this country. Twitter is a wash with people all over the country claiming it should be red out there. We'll see more at 11 if more places went into Orange.

Edit: Newport 113km/h at 11 and Belmullet 117km/h.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 641 ✭✭✭raiders11

Central Donegal, worst gusts all year..

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

just been talking to friends in Galway and they said it's kinda scary. Salthill is a no go area at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭rainyrun

I drove from work around 9pm from sligo to leitrim and the winds around ballinafad and boyle were shocking! I did not hear of any weather warnings ( flat out at work) and at first thought there was something wrong with my car when it was shaking so much in the winds then i saw the branches and debris. Very surprised there wasnt any timely warnings about this? It should have been orange for sligo and roscommon too!

John.Icy wrote: »
    Just bin the technical element to the warnings. You actually cannot successfully warn a storm in this country.

Just bin the warnings altogether. What does a yellow or orange warning say that the well established 'strong to gale force winds' in certain regions do not?

New Moon

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,880 ✭✭✭pauldry

They are afraid to predict anything now in case theyre wrong.... n theyre still wrong

Just look at the satellite. Its a factual forecast.

This was always a dangerous storm for the West but past experiences meant Met Eireann werent able to warn too much in case it went badly wrong.

Also the difference with this and othet storms is the inland gradient is tight meaning places that dont normally get wind are getting it

E.g Knock 115
    Claremorris 109
    Casement 98

Advertisement