Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wind / Rainfall warnings :Potentially very windy Weds 18th Dec 2019

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭kerrycork13

I think the fact there Is nothing about it in the media, esp rte news is testament really that they have no reporters in the main affected counties and they don't want to highlight the fact that met eireann kinda got this a little wrong also.
    There is no doubt that this was more of an inland event than any of the ones that came before it this year and I think this I why met eireann warning system is not serving a proper purpose. They need to be more specific. The county warning is definitely not sufficient.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭PEACEBROTHER

Galway city and it’s very very bad out there -

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭typhoony

Trees down in knocknacarra, galway city

• Registered Users Posts: 1,981 ✭✭✭squarecircles

its silent in west Mayo like the quiet stream i wash my hair in

but the light is flickering so it must be on the way.

sure im sure everyone is in out off the bogs by now and done their potatoe picking for the day, sitting around the fire in the dark in their bare feet.

or they might be smart enough to know it wouldn't be dark if there was a fire going

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

I think the fact there Is nothing about it in the media, esp rte news is testament really that they have no reporters in the main affected counties and they don't want to highlight the fact that met eireann kinda got this a little wrong also.
    There is no doubt that this was more of an inland event than any of the ones that came before it this year and I think this I why met eireann warning system is not serving a proper purpose. They need to be more specific. The county warning is definitely not sufficient.

I wouldnt call Cork, Galway and Mayo Inland, with two of them having populated cities

• Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭Hooter23

Worst in a long while in Galway...the good news is it should be gone as quickly as it arrived

• Registered Users Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭Sofa Spud

typhoony wrote: »
    Trees down in knocknacarra, galway city
    Where are they down? Live too in Knocknacarra, crazy the last 30 mins, lights just flickered. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,033 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

Lights flickered a few times here in Galway. We normally survive though when other areas near by lose power.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

Lights flickering in Galway City. Wind still very, very strong.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Carol25 wrote: »
    It’s also the perception of it. If you are not warned in advance & don’t read media hype pre storm arrival, and a storm hits unexpectedly you see how true storm conditions are. People aren’t indoors, they haven’t taken precautions in advance. There are more people out in the elements.
    I think Met Eireann have done well, they can’t issue an orange wind warning for a storm that didn’t exist on their forecasting models even 2 days ago. The usual suspects would be on here with their weather warning debate and how it isn’t even too bad, etc.

Most sensible and accurate post of the thread; thank you..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,711 ✭✭✭Sawduck

Very bad around tipperary, tree down near killenaule, branches flying everywhere one pretty big branch give the side of my car a whack. Be careful

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭kerrycork13

I wouldnt call Cork, Galway and Mayo Inland, with two of them having populated cities

Yes but an awful lot of structural damage reported inland in cork this eve. And also in Tipperary. Yes they are coastal counties but usually the winds are bad on the coast and not very far inland as with this storm.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭Hooter23

Dangerous out there now in Galway...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Clattery enough in Galway with a few gusts closing in on 50 knots (none standard height) in conjunction with little short lived squalls of rain.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭davidsr20

Very bad in Galway never heard wind this bad

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

It's bad in Galway now. My feeling is that this one will register the highest gusts so far this winter.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭UsBus

Very strong winds here in North Galway, windows bulging with it..A long time since I've seen gusts this severe..

Just recorded a gust of 58 knots!

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 20,341 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

lcasey90 wrote: »
    Athlone here worst we have had this year wind is ferocious here

Second that

My wife has had to go to MIDOC in it with our little one. Awful awful weather to be out in

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,513 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Darwin wrote: »
    Gusts not as severe for the last 20 minutes or so in South West Laois. Will be interesting to see the wind gust data on the station reports tomorrow.

Provisional max gusts (kph) as of 2100 for Elsa in comparison with Atiyah and Lorenzo.

25IW6cs.png

• Registered Users Posts: 12 snic

Strongest persistent winds we have had in quite some time. Just west of Galway city.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭gally74

Wild in galway

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

21.00 Reports have Casement 98, Malin Head 93, Gurteen 91, Roches Point 91

Quiet a wide area covered with gusts in the 90s

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭loughside

Desperate winds up in Co. Down now, torrential rain just passed, worse than anything so far this winter.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭greenpilot

Worst winds of the year here at Knock. Power flickering. With all the hysteria of previous storms, there has hardly been a peep about this one

To think of all the hype in the lead up to all of the recent non-events, and we get an 'orange warning' barely an hour in advance with this one.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭ArraMusha

Severe gusts west Galway. Structural damage territory. Storm.Elsa yer wan called it on the news...me bins and pots will be Elsa-where tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 48,132 ✭✭✭✭km79

Upstairs windows flexing
    Scary tbh
    Amazed we still have power

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,726 ✭✭✭endainoz

Very high winds in North Clare, power was knocked out around 8.30. Clahane weather station is recording 100k gusts at the moment.

Advertisement