Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wind / Rainfall warnings :Potentially very windy Weds 18th Dec 2019

Options

Comments

It’s hard to win really in the weather game. People will say not enough was made of tonight and the media will snap back saying they were criticised the last time for being over dramatic.

We need to try to find a balance were Met get things as accurate as possible and the media reports on it responsibly.

Not gonna happen obviously but it would be best.
    Glad I’m not out there tonight. Sounds orange level in Meath.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,827 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Wind easing a little & pressure rising. West of Galway

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Gusts regularly reaching 45-50 knots here and coming from all different directions between ESE and SW.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 1,981 ✭✭✭squarecircles

dead calm west mayo,strange.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭greenpilot

This is daft. Normally we in the West wouldn't bat an eyelid with the regularity of inclement weather but this has come upon us almost out of the Blue. Structural damage here near Ballaghaderreen/Knock airport. Really surprised we still have power.

• Advertisement

dead calm west mayo,strange.

Won't be long...

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 1,981 ✭✭✭squarecircles

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    Won't be long...

its whipping up now

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭nmacu

Sofa Spud wrote: »
    Where are they down? Live too in Knocknacarra, crazy the last 30 mins, lights just flickered. Thanks

Tree down on the Barna Road at Barna Woods. May be others down in Knocknacarra. Tá sé fiáiin amuigh ansin. Bígí cúramach!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,904 ✭✭✭mgn

Absolutely brutal in Roscommon, severe gusts, worst i can remember for a long time.

its whipping up now

And rapidly easing here now. Very narrow band of wind really.

New Moon

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,743 ✭✭✭saabsaab

Seems to be easing in Galway now, very wild for a while there.

nmacu wrote: »
    Tree down on the Barna Road at Barna Woods. May be others down in Knocknacarra. Tá sé fiáiin amuigh ansin. Bígí cúramach!

Large one down on Ballymoneen road as well & hoarding from construction site

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

I remember losing power during a recent Xmas holidays. It was one of the nicest family evenings ever. Playing cards under candlelight and listening to the wind howling.

Easing in Galway now. This one is like Ali, severe but fast moving on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

Peak gust in Arklow this evening from this was 80kmh
    Rain 16.6mm

• Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭Hooter23

I think worst of the winds now gone in Galway heading up towards Mayo...shortlived but very nasty/dangerous

• Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Rougies

It’s hard to win really in the weather game. People will say not enough was made of tonight and the media will snap back saying they were criticised the last time for being over dramatic.

We need to try to find a balance were Met get things as accurate as possible and the media reports on it responsibly.

Not gonna happen obviously but it would be best.
    Glad I’m not out there tonight. Sounds orange level in Meath.

Met already get things as accurate as possible. Media will never report responsibly unless they are forced to. The media shouldn't be allowed to editorialise weather forecasts when there are warnings in place imo, it's potentially dangerous. Should be Met Éireann's forecast verbatim used in every media outlet. Let them go nuts with the "bomb jet sting cyclone" stuff afterwards if they want.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Snow angel

In a mobile home here in west sligo, haven’t felt gusts like this in the year we have been living here. Floors creaking underneath is. More impact than Atiyah but we are more exposed to the SW

• Registered Users Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭Sofa Spud

nmacu wrote: »
    Go raibh maith agat, tá súil 'am nach ndéanfar aon duine a ghortú

• Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭Hooter23

Still very windy Galway...still danger of odd violent gusts for couple of hours yet....

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Lissavane

So much for a weather forecast or warning:

"Status Orange - Wind warning for Galway and Mayo

Strong southerly winds, veering southwest will reach mean speeds of 65 to 80km/h with gusts up to 120km/h for a short time tonight.

Valid: 21:00 Wednesday 18/12/2019 to 01:00 Thursday 19/12/2019

Issued: 20:00 Wednesday 18/12/2019"

We'd be better off consulting our barometers than rely on Met Éireann. It's a shame how their service has deteriorated, despite advances in technology.

• Advertisement

Satellite animation over the last 3 hours or so. A nice looking system in fairness.

2wGe4zM.gif

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭savj2

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    Satellite animation over the last 3 hours or so. A nice looking system in fairness.

2wGe4zM.gif

Sting jet? Looks like one

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭coillsaille

There was some savage gusts here in Connemara for last couple of hours and some slight structural damage. Definitely had the most impact here out of any system so far this storm season.

I myself couldn't care less about the lack of media awareness of this. I don't rely on media for upcoming weather events and find RTE coverage annoying and tabloidish.

I do rely on Met Eir and I am not at all impressed at them issuing an orange warning just as the winds were beginning to reach their worst.

I think some posters are confusing those two complaints.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

Lissavane wrote: »

Strong southerly winds, veering southwest will reach mean speeds of 65 to 80km/h with gusts up to 120km/h for a short time tonight.

We'd be better off consulting our barometers than rely on Met Éireann. It's a shame how their service has deteriorated, despite advances in technology.

To be fair that would be a slight upgrade on the upper end of the yellow previously issued and there was an advisory since early morning that an orange alert might be warranted
    It's not as if at 755pm this evening the forecast was for flat calm and changed to a storm at 8pm

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭bauney

Crazy gusts here in center mayo. Worst all year. Will be alot of damage in the morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭Reckless Abandonment

Wild enough here in dublin 12. Surprised not more posts from Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭nmacu

Lissavane wrote: »

I think that that's a bit disingenuous. In my experience, they've been mostly spot on with their forecasts in recent times and the advances in technology have enabled much more accurate forecasting on a more local level. They will often advise that complex weather systems inevitably involve a degree of uncertainty and occasional violent storms can appear with little prior evidence. They also usually avoid the ever increasing hyperbole found in both mainstream and social media circles (as do our resident boards weather experts). I'm sure that if they missed something this time that they'll hold their hands up too.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

I'll be honest, I get great energy and focus from a storm. I love them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,801 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

Loads of cars submerged in Salthill. It’s on Twitter.seems to be a huge tide

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,801 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

Advertisement