Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nostalgic Food - Good and Bad!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭Seamai

That was TK red lemonade, there was only one Rasa and as pointed out it was the cordial diluted. There was no charge for cordials in pubs back in the day, you could have either had Rasa or Mi-Wadi orange if you were lucky enough to be brought out.

We only got rasa at Christmas and parties, I seem to remember the brand name "Jennings"

• Registered Users Posts: 16,073 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

That was TK red lemonade, there was only one Rasa and as pointed out it was the cordial diluted. There was no charge for cordials in pubs back in the day, you could have either had Rasa or Mi-Wadi orange if you were lucky enough to be brought out.

It wasn’t TK red lemonade I am talking about . It was TK Rasberry fizzy drink . I wasn’t the one mentioning rassa in the first place , I didn’t call it razza
    We got it in the 60’s as a treat and it was definitely Rasberry lemonade
    We had Red Lemonade too and Ciderette and American Cream Soda

Were you around in the 60’s ? Because Rasberry Lemonade was !!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,093 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

igCorcaigh wrote: »

munchies were always a bit more expensive when I was a kid, so I rarely got them. They were also not available in mulitpacks.

You get 3 for 1.50 in dealz
    https://www.dealz.ie/munchies-tube-52g

and they are still very good and a decent weight compared to many others.

they have an after eight version too
    https://www.dealz.ie/after-eight-munchies-60g

In tesco it is 2x52g packs for 2euro and that is an offer.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,108 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Did someone mention Kelloggs waffles? I'm still looking for waffles that come close all these years later. The Kelloggs ones were nothing like as sweet as the ones nowadays and I loved them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,772 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Did someone mention Kelloggs waffles? I'm still looking for waffles that come close all these years later. The Kelloggs ones were nothing like as sweet as the ones nowadays and I loved them.

That was me.
    Wasn't sure if I'd made them up or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭Ryath

I don't remember them myself but they seem to have been a thing. Frozen so I assume they are similar to eggos you get in the USA

• Registered Users Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Licking the mixing bowl from the Christmas Cake. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

harr wrote: »
    Ahh yes ham pie .. I remember that and yes I remember it being fairly bland but I make similar now and I add cheese and other various bits where as my mother would just throw it all together with a packet of bland white sauce made with water.
    My dad was the one who made a variation of colcannon it was yum as he used left over Spuds and cabbage and made it all crispy on frying pan.

We know that as " bubble and squeak" for obvious reasons! There is a different name again in the far north but it eludes me.

Where the mix of potato and turnip is called " clapshot"! Actually a delicious dish

Graces7 wrote: »
    We know that as " bubble and squeak" for obvious reasons! There is a different name again in the far north but it eludes me.

Where the mix of potato and turnip is called " clapshot"! Actually a delicious dish

I'm know mixing it with potato reduces the taste of the turnip but I still wouldn't eat it, love the same thing with carrots and parsnips though.

• Advertisement

Seamai wrote: »
    I'm know mixing it with potato reduces the taste of the turnip but I still wouldn't eat it, love the same thing with carrots and parsnips though.

It was not about reducing taste! You ate what was there. Or went hungry.

Up there in the far north, in winter before they had shops with frozen veg, all there was was potatoes, turnips/swedes and cabbage.

And if you had prepared. salted herring... and if they killed a pig, riches

The veg got more battered looking as the winter wore on..

It was survival time.

But a lot to be said for eating seasonally and I still do it here even without much home grown stuff

NB As I can no longer peel or cut up turnips. sadly not eaten them for months. Hands just will not cope with them. Love the taste of them. Ah well!

Licking the mixing bowl from the Christmas Cake. :P

… from ANY cake!

It was not about reducing taste! You ate what was there. Or went hungry.

Up there in the far north, in winter before they had shops with frozen veg, all there was was potatoes, turnips/swedes and cabbage.

And if you had prepared. salted herring... and if they killed a pig, riches

The veg got more battered looking as the winter wore on..

It was survival time.

But a lot to be said for eating seasonally and I still do it here even without much home grown stuff

NB As I can no longer peel or cut up turnips. sadly not eaten them for months. Hands just will not cope with them. Love the taste of them. Ah well!

You sound like you were reared in the back end of Scandanavia before they hit the jackpot :D

no rude words please

The Gloomster

You sound like you were reared in the back arse of Scandanavia before they hit the jackpot :D

Ah no! And no need for offensive sarcasm young friend!

The thread is re nostalgic food....

This was wartime and post war in the UK when rationing was fierce and supplies limited. Urban North of England. I am of a different generation and glad of it

We had our ways; you have yours.
    And I still eat as we did then and enjoy it

It was a healthier raising than there is now and made us appreciative and sturdy.
    Almost no childhood obesity and teeth were good.

Oranges and bananas were very rare and precious. And chocolate? So we were not allowed to be faddy or picky. You ate what you were given. Excellent training; and very little processed food. No foreign food either. Good strong basic meals.

This is not "the jackpot", the way folk live now. The food wastage is shocking and inexcusable. Watched some " dumpster diving" videos .

Also we did not buy shop cake etc. My mother was a supreme baker. Apple pie and lemon meringue pie...
    Never tasted the like. The bakers here would love it.

Nostalgia!

PS the time I wrote of re winter veg was the last decade of the last century not my childhood. They still grow fields of cabbage and turnips and live off the land. Guess who will survive in a SHTF situation

Ok I am off; no pleasure left here with such a response as was made to me! Quite uncalled for and offensive.. I was really enjoying the thread too. Ah well!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,478 ✭✭✭harr

This was wartime and post war in the UK when rationing was fierce and supplies limited. Urban North of England. I am of a different generation and glad of it

It was a healthier raising than there is now and made us appreciative and sturdy.

Oranges and bananas were very rare and precious. And chocolate? So we were not allowed to be faddy or picky. You ate what you were given. Excellent training; and very little processed food. No foreign food either. Good strong basic meals.

This is not "the jackpot", the way folk live now. The food wastage is shocking and inexcusable. Watched some " dumpster diving" videos .

Also we did not buy shop cake etc. My mother was a supreme baker. Apple pie and lemon meringue pie...

Nostalgia!

PS the time I wrote of re winter veg was the last decade of the last century not my childhood. They still grow fields of cabbage and turnips and live off the land. Guess who will survive in a SHTF situation

Ok I am off; no pleasure left here with such a response as was made to me! Quite uncalled for and offensive.. I was really enjoying the thread too. Ah well!

To be honest I don’t think the poster meant any offence by his comment .... off the cuff remark Grace but not offensive. The poster would have no idea where or when you grew up.

Nostalgia!

Apologies Grace, I wasn't setting out to be offensive, please don't get upset. At 55 I'm hardly in the first flush of youth myself and grew up in an Ireland where food was more about filling your belly than enjoyment, boiled mutton, liver and onions, always fish on Friday (sometimes boiled smoked haddock) potatoes with everything and the aforementioned turnips which I always hated along with everything in the brassica family.

Once again apologies for any offence, it wasn't my intent.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,838 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

Nostalgia!

Where did she get the lemons?

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

Stephens day in my Grand Aunties house was a real treat . We would call in in the afternoon and she would open a tin of USA biscuits and we could pick a few !! Oh the excitement to see the selection and some even wrapped in gold foil ! We got a glass of Cream Soda and a plate of our chosen treasures and sat on little stools my grand uncle made .

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    Stephens day in my Grand Aunties house was a real treat . We would call in in the afternoon and she would open a tin of USA biscuits and we could pick a few !! Oh the excitement to see the selection and some even wrapped in gold foil ! We got a glass of Cream Soda and a plate of our chosen treasures and sat on little stools my grand uncle made .

USA biscuits, Scots Clan and Emeralds were the special Christmas treats I remember. They would of been gifts to the family from friends or siblings of our parents.

God bless our uncle Tom he brought the Scots Clan every year without fail.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

USA biscuits, Scots Clan and Emeralds were the special Christmas treats I remember. They would of been gifts to the family from friends or siblings of our parents.

God bless our uncle Tom he brought the Scots Clan every year without fail.

Oh Yes , all delicious ! Do you remember Cleeves toffee ? It came in slabs that had to be smashed with a hammer it was so hard ! we would get a sliver of it and chew on it for hours , no wonder I had a mouth full of fillings !

• Advertisement

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    Oh Yes , all delicious ! Do you remember Cleeves toffee ? It came in slabs that had to be smashed with a hammer it was so hard ! we would get a sliver of it and chew on it for hours , no wonder I had a mouth full of fillings !

I remember it well, you can get similar stuff now near the till in the odd petrol station. There's a liquorice version too, hop it off the steering wheel and chew your way down the road!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,772 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Grace, your contributions to this thread are great, please don't let a joke give you offence.
    Clearly, none was meant.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Jellied eels.

Seriously, WTF

Eels_1385.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭0lddog

Can be very tasty

@The Nal : try soonest and revert S.V.P. :)

The Nal wrote: »
    Jellied eels.

Seriously, WTF

Eels_1385.JPG

They look like aborted alien foetuses

Where did she get the lemons?

:confused:

They look like aborted alien foetuses

There is no way I could put those in my mouth...

Reminds me of an incident in the North Isles must be 30 years ago not.

A lady there loved eel and a local fisherman would sell her one when he caught them.

So one day she was driving home with this dead eel, stopped at a junction, moved her hand to change gear.... YIKES! It was alive and wrapped round the gear lever... they have a fierce bite. so she drove home in bottom gear then had to get e neighbour to deal with the eel...

The Nal wrote: »
    Jellied eels.

Seriously, WTF

I keep forgetting I am in ireland; jellied eels were/are a working class delicacy in the UK. eg EastEnders folk would eat them when they went to the seaside, along with whelks and winkles.. Originated in London as a street food.

I was a Lancashire lass and our equivalent was fish and chips!

• Registered Users Posts: 27,950 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

I have never thought of eating them but I remember they were a plot point in Only Fools and Horses. The episode where Rodney marries Cassandra. Her nouveau riche east end Dad insisted they be part of the buffet much to the horror of west end Mum.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Advertisement

We used to get a googy egg when we were small . Soft boiled egg mashed in a cup with butter and breadcrumbs salt and pepper . Delicious

Advertisement