Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nostalgic Food - Good and Bad!

Options
18910111214»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,421 ✭✭✭✭Alun

If you think that's bad, when I was a kid I developed a taste for Bonio dog biscuits :D

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Alun wrote: »
    Bonio dog biscuits :D
    Did you develop a thick & luxurious coat? :pac:

rubadub wrote: »
    Did you develop a thick & luxurious coat? :pac:
    Absolutely, lovely and shiny :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,108 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I loved drinking the vinegar from the pickled onion jar when I was a child. We only had them at Christmas, which was probably just as well!
    I also loved burnt toast, just toasted on one side - and if it was buttered on a surface that onions had been cut on I considered it a delicacy :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭tangy

Ha! I liked burnt toast too. Never discovered onion flavour, but a little sprinkling of salt was magic :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

I used to eat pack of jelly. The little blocks that you had to dissolve to make jelly for jelly and icecream or trifle. :o

BaZmO* wrote: »
    I used to eat pack of jelly. The little blocks that you had to dissolve to make jelly for jelly and icecream or trifle. :o
    Me too :)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,922 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

BaZmO* wrote: »

Used to be my job on a Saturday ......to dissolve it for the Sunday Trifle, going back 50 years or so.
    Remember it well and eating the cubes also :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 16,772 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Yup, "raw" jelly.
    And uncooked pastry!

... and don't forget getting to lick the cake mixing bowl clean!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,675 ✭✭✭nompere

Alun wrote: »
    ... and don't forget getting to lick the cake mixing bowl clean!

The other half was making chocolate caramel slices yesterday, and asked did i want to lick the caramel spoon clean? Do fish fly ...! Do bears ... ! Such joy. The slices are pretty good too.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

The new potato thread revived a few memories of summertime, just a big bowl of new potatoes on the table, peeling them and lathering them in butter. Heavenly! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,772 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

As a kid, I used to give out about new potatoes - because we only ever had them boiled/steamed.

I missed chips, mash and roast potatoes.

Love new potatoes now, though - but we have all sorts of potatoes available all year round, now.
    Also, I sometimes roast new season potatoes (boiled, crushed, then roast) so there's more variety.

One of my favourite Summertime dinners is steamed new spuds (scraped/brushed rather than peeled), rare steak, green salad with homemade vinaigrette, red wine.
    Real taste of summer evenings.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,108 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Leftover boiled new potatoes sliced and fried on the pan for supper, or with a fried egg for breakfast :)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Leftover boiled new potatoes sliced and fried on the pan for supper, or with a fried egg for breakfast :)

I do something similar for dinner. Either leftover new potatoes (or freshly boiled), pan fried with chorizo, red onion, garlic, chilli flakes and green beans (or any green bean type veg, mangetout, runner beans, etc.) that are cooked/cooled and added to the frying pan. All served with a fried egg on top. Absolute comfort food.

Yum!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,922 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

Been too long since I made it. Chocolate optional but I read about it and used it before. Nice finish to it. (couldn't get dark choc. this morning :mad:)

Dinner tomorrow.
    7aUI6EKl.jpg

http://www.chilicookin.com/Recipes/Web/Arnolds.htm
    ps. I wouldn't use near that amount of chili, actually, might be a misprint but think not.

Advertisement