Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nostalgic Food - Good and Bad!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭Seamai

I don't think anything tastes as good it did back then. Too many additives and such banned now :(

As a kid my two favourite biscuits were Boland's Jersey Creams and Café Noir, (chocolate biscuits were a rare treat). In the last few years I've seen both and bought them expecting to be whisked back to my 7 year old self. What a let down on both counts !

• Registered Users Posts: 13,014 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

Graces7 wrote: »
    Never had either the waffles or the pancakes!

You obviously weren't poor so :D

To thine own self be true

• Registered Users Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭coolshannagh28

The Nal wrote: »
    Jellied eels.

Seriously, WTF

I keep forgetting I am in ireland; jellied eels were/are a working class delicacy in the UK. eg EastEnders folk would eat them when they went to the seaside, along with whelks and winkles.. Originated in London as a street food.

I was a Lancashire lass and our equivalent was fish and chips!

Tried them once when I lived over there , even after a skinfull of pints I couldn't stomach them.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,950 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

I don't see Findus crispy panckes on Tesco website, these are the closest from Birds Eye.

https://www.tesco.ie/groceries/Product/Details/?id=303193382
    IDShot_225x225.jpg

These are close cousins:
    Birds Eye Cheese And Ham Saucy Chicken 2 Pack
    https://www.tesco.ie/groceries/Product/Details/?id=300256221

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,562 ✭✭✭Mollyb60

I think they're better off living in my memory. I'd be afraid they'd taste terrible. As I find with most things labelled "New" or "New & Improved Flavour"

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

You obviously weren't poor so :D

Oh we were but this was Lancashire UK way back ; grew up in 40s and 50s when there were no such things and like most we had no fridge or freezer.

I can remember my mother way after I had left home loving frozen oven chips but myself have never been much for processed food or complete frozen foods.

Fish fingers is the nearest I get even now ;) Most of my freezer space is chicken for the cats and home frozen veg.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

odyssey06 wrote: »
    I don't see Findus crispy panckes on Tesco website, these are the closest from Birds Eye.
    Birds eye & findus are owned by the same people now so thats why there are no findus ones anymore.
    Birds Eye and Findus are both owned by the Iglo Group, which is why the pancakes could change brands from Findus to Birds Eye. A recent study of 2,000 British adults by cinema chain Vue found that Findus Crispy Pancakes are one of the top 20 most nostalgic foods that remind us of childhood

• Registered Users Posts: 16,772 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

and like most we had no fridge or freezer.

I remember my dad saying that when they'd get sausages, what the didn't eat on the day would be boiled so that they would last a few days without a fridge.

Regarding the crispy pancakes, the last time (good few years ago, now) I had them was in a Portuguese restaurant in Cork. They were serving them as a starter. I think they were calling them rissoles but they were, as far as I could make out, exactly the same as crispy pancakes - I bet they are still popular in Portugal.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,073 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Before we had a fridge my dad had a hole dug in a cold northside part of the garden . Into the hole he placed a large tin box , it fitted perfectly in the hole . They kept butter and milk and sometimes meat in the tin box and it kept cold even in summer

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,745 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

rubadub wrote: »
    Birds eye & findus are owned by the same people now so thats why there are no findus ones anymore.

The Findus brand has such negative connotations that they've been trying, and failing, to kill it for over 20 years. First rebrand was to Crosse & Blackwell

https://www.campaignlive.co.uk/article/findus-brand-merge-c-b/61951

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    Before we had a fridge my dad had a hole dug in a cold northside part of the garden . Into the hole he placed a large tin box , it fitted perfectly in the hole . They kept butter and milk and sometimes meat in the tin box and it kept cold even in summer

We had a meat safe. Fine metal mesh cage on legs which would be put outside in a cool shady breezy place, for meat etc.

When we moved to the new build the walk in pantry had the concrete shelf above the outside coal hole, and was really cool.

We were perforce ingenious and resourceful !

• Registered Users Posts: 27,950 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

I remember watching an old 1970s sitcom might have been Rising Damp or Likely Lads.
    Guy staying in a bedsit would keep his milk bottle on the window ledge outside.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

odyssey06 wrote: »
    I remember watching an old 1970s sitcom might have been Rising Damp or Likely Lads.
    Guy staying in a bedsit would keep his milk bottle on the window ledge outside.

Been there done that many times! lol Loved bedsits dearly, Happy memories, Dried milk was dreadful then but I use it now in coffee and it is so much better.

Oh am enjoying this! Dwelling more and more on younger days and happily so

• Registered Users Posts: 16,772 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

We had a meat safe. Fine metal mesh cage on legs which would be put outside in a cool shady breezy place, for meat etc.

When we moved to the new build the walk in pantry had the concrete shelf above the outside coal hole, and was really cool.

We were perforce ingenious and resourceful !

My dad's family had an old oven outside the back door which served as a meat safe. It was later (within my memory) repurposed as a fish smoker. That old oven is still knocking around. It must be 100 years old by now.

I have a gas BBQ outside my back door. In winter, it's great for extra cool space. Pots of stew and the like, regularly sit in it.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,479 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

The food of kings from nearly 30 years ago!

This qualified as gourmet and progressive in our house :pac:

en9j0s3pf4c31.jpg

I still remember the jingle from the ad 'I feel like Chicken Tonight '... :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,733 ✭✭✭ASOT

I miss Turkey Twizzlers

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,479 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

Findus Crispy Pancakes, one of my best 80s memories. Nothing half as nice as them now.
    Seamai wrote: »
    If I got a penny for every time I burned my mouth from wolfing those things down I'd be a wealthy man.
    The scalded palate was always worth it!

Oh, for sure! Loved them.
    Always burned my mouth, so worth it though. :D

Checked the web site and SV have potatp waffles .. maybe next week! More expensive than potatoes though..

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭RubyGlee

There used to be these crepes with savory fillings, they were nice I can’t remember the name.
    Also mini Kiev’s in a green bag they were yum

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,108 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Birds Eye crispy cod fries, they were around in the 60s/early 70s. I don't know what was in the 'special batter' but they tasted amazing.

Cod-Fries.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 7,838 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

Birds Eye crispy cod fries, they were around in the 60s/early 70s. I don't know what was in the 'special batter' but they tasted amazing.

Cod-Fries.jpg

I'm gonna hazard a guess that you were an only child.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,108 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I'm gonna hazard a guess that you were an only child.

No - one of four and working class! We got these a few times as a treat, and maybe that's why I'm nostalgic about them :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,838 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

No - one of four and working class! We got these a few times as a treat, and maybe that's why I'm nostalgic about them :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-5i1cJIwE7M

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 doingthedo

Not sure if mentioned but Angel's Delight brings back childhood memories!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,421 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Cod-Fries.jpg
    Oh yes, I remember those very clearly! There was something in that batter certainly, don't know what it was, but just seeing that packet I can taste it!!!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Checked the web site and SV have potatp waffles .. maybe next week! More expensive than potatoes though..

They're worth a shot Grace, I quite like them.

Alun wrote: »
    Oh yes, I remember those very clearly! There was something in that batter certainly, don't know what it was, but just seeing that packet I can taste it!!!

I've never tasted battered fish like it since :(

• Registered Users Posts: 21,421 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Not sure if these ever made it to Ireland, but does anyone remember Brain's fagg0ts (don't worry Brain's was the manufacturer!)?

Cooked in the foil tray in the oven with mashed potato and peas, yummy :)

You can still get them in the UK ... https://www.tesco.com/groceries/en-GB/products/282049626

(P.S. had to replace the o with a 0 to get around Boards swear filter!!!!)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭Seamai

Alun wrote: »
    Not sure if these ever made it to Ireland, but does anyone remember Brain's fagg0ts (don't worry Brain's was the manufacturer!)?

Cooked in the foil tray in the oven with mashed potato and peas, yummy :)

You can still get them in the UK ... https://www.tesco.com/groceries/en-GB/products/282049626

(P.S. had to replace the o with a 0 to get around Boards swear filter!!!!)

Fagg0ts never existed on this island of saints and scholars, how very dare you.

I hadn't read your last line I was so incensed and made the same mistake, so I can't even call myself one (even though I am) 😄

Advertisement