Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nostalgic Food - Good and Bad!

Options
  • 08-08-2019 10:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭

Toad in the Hole with Onion Red Wine Gravy and Peas.

<snip pic>

Please don't quote pictures! Thanks! Shenshen

You make the nicest most varied dinners ever. I would love to eat at your house. Its never the same auld dinner like my house!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

You make the nicest most varied dinners ever. I would love to eat at your house. Its never the same auld dinner like my house!

When I was a kid, you could tell the day of the week by what was for dinner. Now, if I dared serve up the same meal twice in a month, there’d be ructions! (With the exception of pizza of course). :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭Seamai

When I was a kid, you could tell the day of the week by what was for dinner. Now, if I dared serve up the same meal twice in a month, there’d be ructions! (With the exception of pizza of course). :)

I remember that growing up, Tuesday always meant liver, no ifs or buts. I now work on a four week rota with seasonal changes and try to do something new every week. Himself gave me an Ottolenghi cookbook last week, some really interesting recipes including a deconstructed (hate that word in a food context but I will be trying this) sweet and salty cherry cheesecake made with feta.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,095 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Us too. This was the late '70s.

Friday was always smoked haddock with potatoes and onions in a white sauce. Still love that dish, but these days the proper haddock is hard to come by and more expensive. Don't like coley.

We had pork chops with mashed potatoes and baked beans, midweek I think. Sometimes mashed turnip.

Fish fingers with mushy peas and homemade chips featured (it was always homemade chips in those days, what a loss).

Saturdays unfortunately were tripe and drisheen with potatoes, and the onions in white sauce. Didn't like that so much.

Don't remember Sunday too much as a kid.
    I don't think we had roasts.

It was a poor time.

Breakfast was cornflakes (in tea during the winter) or porridge, butter and honey on brown toast, but proper old Cork bread.

Lunch in school was a ham sandwich, cut into triangles, an apple, a Cadbury purple snack (used to love them!) and milk (in an old ketchup bottle).

Apologies for being OT and reminiscing.
    Probably deserves a thread of its own, maybe.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

^ I can remember always Roasts on a Sunday, leftover curry on a Monday, fish on Fridays. Bacon and Cabbage lunchtime Saturdays with Rasher and Sausage pie for tea (loved Saturdays!).

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

igCorcaigh wrote: »

Friday was always smoked haddock with potatoes and onions in a white sauce. Still love that dish, but these days the proper haddock is hard to come by and more expensive. Don't like coley

That’s funny. I was only thinking about this the other day. We used to have something similar but we called it “ice cream fish” :/

I think it was smoked cod (or haddock?) poached in milk and served with potatoes (mashed I think).

Quite adventurous for a bunch of fussy eaters in hindsight.

Must actually ask my mam how she actually made it. Although I doubt I’d get my kids to eat it!

• Advertisement

BaZmO* wrote: »
    That’s funny. I was only thinking about this the other day. We used to have something similar but we called it “ice cream fish” :/

I think it was smoked cod (or haddock?) poached in milk and served with potatoes (mashed I think).

Quite adventurous for a bunch of fussy eaters in hindsight.

Must actually ask my mam how she actually made it. Although I doubt I’d get my kids to eat it!

I still make it by poaching the smoked fish, onions and bay leaf in milk, straining, then mixing the milk into a roux to make white sauce which is added back into the fish and onions.

No need for salt as the fish is salty enough. Served with potatoes, chopped parsley.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

I still make it by poaching the smoked fish, onions and bay leaf in milk, straining, then mixing the milk into a roux to make white sauce which is added back into the fish and onions.

No need for salt as the fish is salty enough. Served with potatoes, chopped parsley.

Yeah similar to Fish Pie when I've made it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,086 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

Friday was always smoked haddock with potatoes and onions in a white sauce. Still love that dish, but these days the proper haddock is hard to come by and more expensive. Don't like coley.

We had pork chops with mashed potatoes and baked beans, midweek I think. Sometimes mashed turnip.

Fish fingers with mushy peas and homemade chips featured (it was always homemade chips in those days, what a loss).

Saturdays unfortunately were tripe and drisheen with potatoes, and the onions in white sauce. Didn't like that so much.

It was a poor time.

Breakfast was cornflakes (in tea during the winter) or porridge, butter and honey on brown toast, but proper old Cork bread.

Lunch in school was a ham sandwich, cut into triangles, an apple, a Cadbury purple snack (used to love them!) and milk (in an old ketchup bottle).

Apologies too for going OT. But I had to reply to your post IC as it evoked similar memories for me. My mother was a hopeless cook but even to this day insists she was good.:eek: I love pork chops these days because of what you can do with them, but my abiding memory of them in the late 70's was grilled to within an inch of their life and a chainsaw to cut it.

Homemade chips made in a hob top chip pan.:D Fridays were the absolute worst in our house waiting on my Dad to come home with his wages. Anything could be cobbled together and was usually crap.:D Now I know why he had a chipper after a pint on a Friday night.:D

I

• Registered Users Posts: 11,860 ✭✭✭✭anewme

Grandeeod wrote: »

It was a poor time.

Apologies too for going OT. But I had to reply to your post IC as it evoked similar memories for me. My mother was a hopeless cook but even to this day insists she was good.:eek: I love pork chops these days because of what you can do with them, but my abiding memory of them in the late 70's was grilled to within an inch of their life and a chainsaw to cut it.

Homemade chips made in a hob top chip pan.:D Fridays were the absolute worst in our house waiting on my Dad to come home with his wages. Anything could be cobbled together and was usually crap.:D Now I know why he had a chipper after a pint on a Friday night.:D

I

Lots of povo's on the thread.

Goody- soggy bread with milk and sugar...
    Googy Egg...warm semi hard boiled egg chopped up in a cup with butter...
    Toffee Toast- sugar on pan bread....grilled..,.scalding your mouth stuff
    Bread n brown or red sauce
    Findus crispy pancakes- filled with brown hot molten lava ready to scald the face off you....

Our treat was Sunday tea, crinkle cut chips and Granby burgers in Bundys

Our Mum was a crap cook....all meat must be grey and leathery...she made stuff out of a Sharwoods type packed called Devilled Pork, im still not the better of it 40 years later

• Registered Users Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

These guys are good. 70s dinner party. Some of the food is truly revolting.

https://twitter.com/70s_party

EG

https://twitter.com/70s_party/status/1159189242804936704
    tumblr_pel0sg1Cly1v07fjko1_1280.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,772 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Both my parents were good cooks and we ate well but it was still very conservative, Irish food.

One of the less wholesome meals I used to love was grilled gammon steaks, grilled pineapple rings and mashed potato. Probably carrots, green beans or sweetcorn with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,772 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Someone was talking about the grilled to death pork chops. Well my mum would have grilled them like that but used to often do them in breadcrumbs in the oven. Soft and tender.
    I used to love them like that.

Someone was talking about the grilled to death pork chops. Well my mum would have grilled them like that but used to often do them in breadcrumbs in the oven. Soft and tender.
    I used to love them like that.

Yep that was me. My mother did eventually graduate to wrapping them in foil and doing them in the oven. Marginally better. And no breadcrumbs.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭tickingclock

I'm a child of the 80s. We always had smoked haddock poached in milk on Friday. My mother bought the fish from a fish van that parked outside the local supermarket on Fridays!!
    We had a roast most Sundays. Monday we'd have the leftovers and if it was a big roast she'd get Tuesday out of it also. There'd only be enough meat for parents so mammy would cook sausages for us in the watered down gravy!!
    The gravy was and still is something to die for. Made with meat juices and stock from the vegetables. I totally haven't mastered it.

One of the good things from the '70s and '80s were the bread vans, vegetable vans, milk on your doorstep every morning, and the deliveries of coal, newspapers to your door.

And proper bread too. Skulls and ducks. Still warm crusty sliced pans. No overpriced artisan "sourdough".

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,108 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

My mother was a rubbish cook and had an eccentric friend who was a really good cook although some of her creations were a bit dodgy. My mother took inspiration from her. And so once a week we had salmon curry - quite a nice sauce with little chunks of apple in it, but with a tin of salmon thrown in!

My mother was a rubbish cook and had an eccentric friend who was a really good cook although some of her creations were a bit dodgy. My mother took inspiration from her. And so once a week we had salmon curry - quite a nice sauce with little chunks of apple in it, but with a tin of salmon thrown in!

Bleurgh!

Anyone remember vesta curries?

For desert, angel delight was awful.
    But I loved Arctic roll!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,826 ✭✭✭✭Mam of 4

Saturdays in our house was a fry at one pm , usual fry with liver and kidney also !
    Sunday , pork or ham , then the leftovers on Monday .
    Fridays were always homemade chips and either egg or fishfingers . Lots of stews and mam was a great baker so apple/jam tarts and homemade bread , so even if there wasn't much money to be spent on food , she'd bake or make ricepuddings , bread puddings , oh and potato cakes !

All I remember on a Sunday in the late 70's/80's was rubbery Corned Beef and rock solid roasties. No gravy, not even an instant one! My mother claimed we had roast beef back then. We did yeah.:rolleyes: When we eventually got roast beef, it was just banged in the oven on 200 for a few hours and was like shoe leather on the plate with the same old rock hard roasties. But my mother has a different version of events, bless her.

So that's some bad stuff. The good stuff for me back in those days was eating out and sitting down to do it. Woolworths on Henry street Dublin. My Granny paid for that. BHS on O'Connell street. Fish fingers, beans and chips on a paper plate with a glass of diluted orange. The luxury.:D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,745 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

My mother cannot cook at all. So it was all pre-packaged stuff as much as possible; with frozen veg microwaved to a mush. So there's not much... to this day I won't cook with broccoli or cauliflower due to how much she's destroyed the idea of them.

Overly salty ham with beans and mash was one I did actually like. Usually followed by this ice-cream, which I'm surprised is still made:

https://shop.supervalu.ie/shopping/frozen-foods-tubs-blocks-hb-sliceable-vanilla-ice-cream-1-litre-/p-1012192000

Also quite liked this jam which seems to be only available in the US now

https://www.amazon.com/Danish-Orchards-Preserves-BLACKBERRY-Premium/dp/B00IMP5Y5Q

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,108 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I loved the idea of Vesta curries, but they never lived up to the picture on the box :(

Angel delight was yuck - I never tried Arctic roll. We were given tinned pears with ice cream for dessert every Sunday for a long time before the mammy linked it to the horrific hives I broke out in every Monday.

Now Findus crispy pancakes - they were really good!

^ Danish Orchards jam was nice.
    I remember that from the early '90s

But we did not have microwave ovens in the 70s!

Grandeeod wrote: »
    All I remember on a Sunday in the late 70's/80's was rubbery Corned Beef and rock solid roasties. No gravy, not even an instant one! My mother claimed we had roast beef back then. We did yeah.:rolleyes: When we eventually got roast beef, it was just banged in the oven on 200 for a few hours and was like shoe leather on the plate with the same old rock hard roasties. But my mother has a different version of events, bless her.

So that's some bad stuff. The good stuff for me back in those days was eating out and sitting down to do it. Woolworths on Henry street Dublin. My Granny paid for that. BHS on O'Connell street. Fish fingers, beans and chips on a paper plate with a glass of diluted orange. The luxury.:D

Oh those were the days! The queue would be out the door and onto the stairs, it was so busy. Eating in Woolworths restaurant was the ultimate treat. BHS was good but it was no Woolworths.

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Anus Von Skidmark

Oh no they weren't!

Lamb chops in an onion-y gravy was the king of all childhood dinners in my house.

I loved the idea of Vesta curries, but they never lived up to the picture on the box :(

Angel delight was yuck - I never tried Arctic roll. We were given tinned pears with ice cream for dessert every Sunday for a long time before the mammy linked it to the horrific hives I broke out in every Monday.

I remember liking crispy pancakes as a small kid.

I tried them some time back for nostalgia purposes, and they were vile!

Don't know what changed, the product or my taste buds, that's the problem with evaluating old foods.

Bleurgh!

Anyone remember vesta curries?

Yep. You could buy it in a can. Heated many a can out camping or on the stove or in a youth hostel in the Wicklow mountains in the 80s.
    For desert, angel delight was awful.
    But I loved Arctic roll!

I loved Angel Delight!
    Mam of 4 wrote: »
    Saturdays in our house was a fry at one pm , usual fry with liver and kidney also !
    Sunday , pork or ham , then the leftovers on Monday .
    Fridays were always homemade chips and either egg or fishfingers . Lots of stews and mam was a great baker so apple/jam tarts and homemade bread , so even if there wasn't much money to be spent on food , she'd bake or make ricepuddings , bread puddings , oh and potato cakes !

Hated liver and kidney and still do. Often went to bed hungry because of that.:eek: My mother could bake a decent apple tart though. It was often the only treat we got and it was divine. The Tesco/Gubays arrived in Dublin and she hasn't made an apple tart since!:D

Oh no they weren't!

Lamb chops in an onion-y gravy was the king of all childhood dinners in my house.

Ah they were. I was the late 60s/early 70s and processed food was new and exciting!!

Soda stream lol!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,955 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Is Spam a nostalgic food?
    If you are somewhere without fridge and want a morning fry, it actually fries up well as an alternative to rashers. Never would've thought it til I saw James May try it on a BBC programme.

And dang, 80s Findus Crispy Pancakes were tasty.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

Advertisement