Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is Adult Children Living in the Family Home a Good Thing?

Options
  • 12-12-2019 7:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭

MOD NOTE

Thread split from a discussion of fair contributions while living in the family home.

Am I in the minority here?

My parents never charged me “rent” and I certainly won’t be charging my boys when they’re older. They can stay as long as they want! I just want us all to enjoy the time together.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

My parents never charged me “rent” and I certainly won’t be charging my boys when they’re older. They can stay as long as they want! I just want us all to enjoy the time together.

I was never charged rent either, but I contributed to food and bills. The OP has said that she wouldn’t describe her mother as “comfortable” financially. She’s on a pension herself, she probably can’t afford to fund her adult children’s every need.

You are in the minority here as boards posters do have some very odd opinions on the topic compared to the real word where you and I would be in the majority in seeing paying rent at home as bizarre.

I never even heard of the concept, didn’t even enter my head that people actually pay rent to live at home until I saw people posting on boards about it.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

if your parents were struggling financially would you still be happy for them to subsidise your living costs?

I do find it odd that there's a subset of posters that are unable to comprehend that not all families are in a position to subsidise their adult children financially.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭KyussB

From what I can see, the OP wants to pay their way, and is trying to figure out what the fair share would be - not looking to be subsidized.

My reply wasn't directed at the OP.

At the same time, if the OP can keep their consumption of food/electricity/heating etc to below the figure they're planning to contribute the issue of being subsidised shouldn't arise. Personally, I don't see that being much less than €70 - €100 week but I'm sure the OP is in a better position to judge.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

I never even heard of the concept, didn’t even enter my head that people actually pay rent to live at home until I saw people posting on boards about it.

I assume you’ve heard of the concept of people paying for food in dunnes stores, and people paying esb bills, for light and heat and broadband though?

jlm29 wrote: »
    I assume you’ve heard of the concept of people paying for food in dunnes stores, and people paying esb bills, for light and heat and broadband though?

All of which have to be paid regardless with only food marginally increasing with an additional person (in my case anyway as I generally only eat dinner at home and not everyday). BB is the same and light and heat change almost nothing with an extra person.

I also do pay the broadband bill as I had it installed and paying a bill like that is grand but paying rent which hanging over a set amount per week is I just can’t get my head around for someone living at home.

It’s irrelevant to the topic but I also work on the farm at home in my free time and look after it when my parents are away. But without that I there is no way rent would be asked for (it never was of siblings who don’t work on the farm) and I know for a fact any attempt to volunteer to pay it would result in being told to cop on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭charlietheminxx

All of which have to be paid regardless with only food marginally increasing with an additional person (in my case anyway as I generally only eat dinner at home and not everyday).

I also do pay the broadband bill as I had it installed and paying a bill like that is grand but paying rent which hanging over a set amount per week is I just can’t get my head around for someone living at home.

You still need to understand that your experience is the exception and not the rule.

You still need to understand that your experience is the exception and not the rule.

I would say it’s the rule. I know a lot of people who lived at home well into their late 20’s and 30’s or still live at home friends, family member etc and I’ve never heard of people paying rent to live at home. Money going the other way (I.e. parents helping out their children with extra money, hosue deposits, help buying cars etc) would be something I’ve heard of whereas paying rent not really.

I was in my late 20’s before I ever even herd of the concept after reading it on here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭AulWan

You are in the minority here as boards posters do have some very odd opinions on the topic compared to the real word where you and I would be in the majority in seeing paying rent at home as bizarre.

I don't know what generation you grew up in, but when I was growing up from the time we got our first job the 30% rule applied in both mine and all my friends households. Contributing was an expectation from any working person, it was not dependant on the household income.

Once you started working, it was a flat rate 30% of your take home wage contributed, 30% saved, 30% to live on and the 10% for the occasional splurge. It taught responsibility with money and that accommodation and living costs had to be paid first, before any other bills, including savings.

I think our parents had the right idea, given the number of grown adults I now see who seem to think they have some sort of entitlement to live with their parents indefinitely while not giving them anything for food or bills. I would be too embarassed to live in another adult's home without paying my way.

At least, in fairness to the OP, she is not unwilling to contribute.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭charlietheminxx

I would say it’s the rule. I know a lot of people who lived at home well into their late 20’s and 30’s or still live at home friends, family member etc and I’ve never heard of people paying rent to live at home. Money going the other way (I.e. parents helping out their children with extra money) would be something I’ve heard of much more).

I was in my late 20’s before I ever even herd of the concept after reading it on here.

Then you must only interact with people who have a similar background to yourself. I know some who haven't paid for limited stints while moving back to save for a house deposit (basically their parents giving them a dig out to support their saving), or in the case of one while she sorted out some debts, but pretty much anyone I know who lived with their parents longer term as an adult made a proper financial contribution to the household.

I lived at home a bit later than I would have liked but I paid in consistently since I was in college.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

I would say it’s the rule. I know a lot of people who lived at home well into their late 20’s and 30’s or still live at home friends, family member etc and I’ve never heard of people paying rent to live at home. Money going the other way (I.e. parents helping out their children with extra money) would be something I’ve heard of much more).

I'm in my 40's when I lived at home I contributed as did my brothers. Our parents taught us not to be freeloaders keeping our earnings just to go on the lash. I have read your posts on other threads, suffice to say I don't believe you are being genuine other than to seek to cause annoyance.

I'm in my 40's when I lived at home I contributed as did my brothers. Our parents taught us not to be freeloaders keeping our earnings just to go on the lash. I have read your posts on other threads, suffice to say I don't believe you are being genuine other than to seek to cause annoyance.

And my parents don't believe in taking money of their children.

Look I could understand if parents needed help and a person contributes as a way to help them, but you wouldn't even have to be living at home in order to do that. But just having a set amount thats paid regardless like the 30% mentioned in another post I couldn't get my head around at all and neither would my parents as they dont need the money nor do most parents really at the stage of live most are in when adult children are living at home.

It’s irrelevant to the topic but I also work on the farm at home in my free time and look after it when my parents are away. But without that I there is no way rent would be asked for (it never was of siblings who don’t work on the farm) and I know for a fact any attempt to volunteer to pay it would result in being told to cop on.

Its irrelevant to the topic but here was me with the impression that all farmers were financially put to the pin of their collars' and needed every cent. :rolleyes:

AulWan wrote: »
    Its irrelevant to the topic but here was me with the impression that all farmers were financially put to the pin of their collars' and needed every cent. :rolleyes:

If you were relying on the farm you would be on the breadline. It barely breaks even and has been a part-time farm for many years and will be into the future for me. A good off farm income is needed along with it.

If you were relying on the farm you would be on the breadline. It barely breaks even and has been a part-time farm for many years and will be into the future for me. A good off farm income is needed along with it.

So are your parents relying on the farm? Or do they have second jobs?

All while you live with them for free?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

I would say it’s the rule. I know a lot of people who lived at home well into their late 20’s and 30’s or still live at home friends, family member etc and I’ve never heard of people paying rent to live at home. Money going the other way (I.e. parents helping out their children with extra money, hosue deposits, help buying cars etc) would be something I’ve heard of whereas paying rent not really.

You need to stop thinking about it as "rent", its money towards the cost of the running and upkeep of the home you live in.
    Why would you, a grown working adult, not contribute towards the household expenses? Why should or would other adults have to pay for your board?
    It doesn't matter that your parents own the house, and it doesn't matter that the cost of keeping you there is negligible, the principle is the same.

They are using their income to subsidise your existence. If they can afford to, that's fine. If they don't want you to pay, that's fine too.
    But if they decided tomorrow to start charging you a few hundred quid for the privilege of living under their roof they'd be quite entitled to do that. You don't seem to think that would be reasonable or fair, but it absolutely would.

So are your parents relying on the farm? Or do they have second jobs?

All while you live with them for free?

Obviously they don’t, hence why I said you couldn’t rely on it.

Obviously they don’t, hence why I said you couldn’t rely on it.

So your parents must have two jobs then? (farm and other source of income?)

Yet you don't contribute financially, despite claiming to have a good job.

I think my parents had the right idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

Ballso wrote: »
    I think the poster you are replying to is special needs, his parents providing for him into late adulthood is fair enough IMO

If someone has special needs or a disability and cannot work and needs familial support, that's quite different.
    As far as I'm aware that poster is an able bodied independent adult with a full time job and income, but I'm open to correction on that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

All of which have to be paid regardless with only food marginally increasing with an additional person (in my case anyway as I generally only eat dinner at home and not everyday). BB is the same and light and heat change almost nothing with an extra person.

You appear to have zero capacity to empathise with anyone else’s situation. I’ve never seen anything like it.
    You can only see your own circumstances and the concept of anyone having different circumstances to you seems to be beyond your comprehension.

Good lord. My sympathy is with the OPs parents. What a situation for them at a time of life when they should be finally able to enjoy their own lives.

This I do agree with.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,581 ✭✭✭Yellow_Fern

Good lord. My sympathy is with the OPs parents. What a situation for them at a time of life when they should be finally able to enjoy their own lives.

I imagine most parents would not share this view. It comes across as very untypically Irish.

Don't underestimate the toll having adult children living at home can take on a parent.

Living with adult children is not the same as living with 0-21 year olds. The dynamic is completely different. You need a big house if you have to share living space with a lot of adults.

Living at home once you're an adult is not a right, it is a privilege. I think many forget that once you finish education/leave home, your parents have done their job and are entitled to live their own lives.

n
    Don't underestimate the toll having adult children living at home can take on a parent.

Living with adult children is not the same as living with 0-21 year olds. The dynamic is completely different. You need a big house if you have to share living space with a lot of adults.

Living at home once you're an adult is not a right, it is a privilege. I think many forget that once you finish education/leave home, your parents have done their job and are entitled to live their own lives.

Of course. Living in a house also is not a right. No one said otherwise but it is the traditional approach and is still the norm in many countries where the idea of having your own house before marriage never took off. In many cases its loved by both parties and also eases the housing crisis with many other efficiencies too.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,828 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

There are benefits to having adult children at home too though!

I was the only one at home when my mam had a massive stroke. There was no warning signs. She was fine going to bed, not so when she got up. The hospital staff didn't know if it happened in her sleep or it was just "starting to happen " when I saw her. She was in a hospital bed 40 mins after I "found " her. The damage is minimal. I was still living at home much to the contention of my siblings as they had left home at a younger age, but they were happy enough I was still there after the stroke as it meant I was at home to look after her.....they all live in different counties.

There's also the security side, no easier target than an elderly person on their own!

There's also company if a spouse has died/left.

My children are young now and unless they are bringing trouble to my door they will be welcome until they are set up!

Once everyone acts like an adult it can be beneficial for everyone!

You may change your mind when they are adults, Princess Calla. I've two adult children living at home and I love them to bits, but I hope to god they are not still here when they are thirty.

A friend of mine who is a family therapist with CAHMS told me there is a natural separation process that starts to happen between parent and child when the children are in their teens. Basically, it's cutting the apron strings.

I know many parents in my situation who love their adult kids dearly, but don't want to live with them and would be quite happy to see them leave home. Unfortunately, the housing crisis is interfering what that in a lot of cases, so they feel they have to put up with it.

I don't rely on my kids for my personal safety either. I'm well able to look after myself.

You may change your mind when they are adults, Princess Calla. I've two adult children living at home and I love them to bits, but I hope to god they are not still here when they are thirty.

A friend of mine who is a family therapist with CAHMS told me there is a natural separation process that starts to happen between parent and child when the children are in their teens. Basically, it's cutting the apron strings.

I know many parents in my situation who love their adult kids dearly, but don't want to live with them and would be quite happy to see them leave home. Unfortunately, the housing crisis is interfering what that in a lot of cases, so they feel they have to put up with it.

I don't rely on my kids for my personal safety either. I'm well able to look after myself.

Is there any evidence that single young people are staying at home longer? One of the major slow burner factors in the housing crisis is the explosion in older single people living alone. Slow social decay.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,828 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

Is there any evidence that single young people are staying at home longer? One of the major slow burner factors in the housing crisis is the explosion in older single people living alone. Slow social decay.

I said in a previous post that I was 30 when I moved out, that was a swipe at me :)

I don't think unmarried women living at home is a new thing in society.

Historically women were paid alot less than men, buying a house was usually not an option. Living on your own meant living in a female only boarding house.

Society is ever evolving. Before you could buy a house on one income ie the man's! Now with both working house prices have increased.... Supply and demand. So to buy a house as a single person now it's alot harder.

In my case the tiger was roaring loudly when I started looking at houses. They'd jump in price 20/30/40 k in days. Yes plenty of my friends managed it, they either bought together as mates, siblings bought together and obviously couples. In most cases parents helped them out. We're on the property ladder what could possibly go wrong?

A friend of mine who works in financial services said the point at which they knew things were bonkers was when an actuary couldn't buy a house in Dublin.

Again in my case the bubble burst and I finally got mortgage approval, I happily started looking around. I had an offer on a lovely new build all was perfect... Sale fell through... Few weeks latter my mam had a stroke. I was the only one living at home so her care fell on me....now I could have said meh I'm leaving best of luck, but that would be abit mean.

A year later I bought and moved out.....now my parents were 100% against renting it's dead money...before anyone says I could have rented :)

I had no plans to stay at home that long, teenage me listened to the bs of studying, good leaving cert, college, house but what happens for one generation does not hold true for the next.

I hope my children's generation has an easier time than the current one is having at the moment. I plan to help them out in anyway I can and if that means we're all living together than so be it.

• Advertisement

Mod Note

Thread split

Advertisement