Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread XI (The Finals Countdown)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭PMC83

Dubinusa wrote: »
    On a side note, Lyon have a fantastic stadium.

Man it looked a little grim /dark on the tv! -though could have been the day itself. Were you at the match?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,188 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

PMC83 wrote: »
    Man it looked a little grim /dark on the tv! -though could have been the day itself. Were you at the match?

It was a fairly rubbish day which I'd say is the reason for that. I'd say the stadium was grand without being mindblowing. Good service and few enough queues but the fact it was nowhere near full probably contributed to that.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,925 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

The back row was astounding. All 3 were immense. Deegan is becoming really good all around. Ruddock is a beast , he really is strong in the carry and his work rate is amazing. VDF is a different player under stuleo. He's carrying more, finding gaps and exploiting them. I haven't seen that when he lines out for Ireland. He's easily the best 7 around now. Although Nordi was sensational on Friday.
    We were fortunate not to be a man down for the frequent mail penalties. One thing that I noticed was Lyon scrimmaged at an angle. I think they turned into us, and wheeling the scrum around. I may be wrong? Anybody see that?

You put this in my head... so y'all have to bear the brunt of its horror as well...

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,330 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

You put this in my head... so y'all have to bear the brunt of its horror as well..

Same, been stuttering it for the last two pages.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,564 ✭✭✭RugbyLover123

I thought Deegan was superb! I must watch it again.
    Luke had a hard time, but he was under massive pressure. His box kicks were really good, I thought. Ryan and Henshaw blew chances by not passing . I think we might have scored.
    Bamba is a really tough customer, he and Healy had a great battle.
    On a side note, Lyon have a fantastic stadium.

Looks like Olympic Lyonnais old stadium?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Same stadium we were beaten by Clermont in three years ago. Nice stadium and a serious atmosphere that day.

I still think a Lyon player touched the ball after Ryan’s knock on and before Ringrose caught it.

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭Stan27

Any update with leavy ?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

Stan27 wrote: »
    Any update with leavy ?

You're probably looking at next year before there's any update. Think it was around March/April when he was injured and it looked to involve multiple ligaments so you're probably looking at 9 months at the very minimum and more likely about a year

• Registered Users Posts: 13,051 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Bazzo wrote: »
    You're probably looking at next year before there's any update. Think it was around March/April when he was injured and it looked to involve multiple ligaments so you're probably looking at 9 months at the very minimum and more likely about a year

Sure it's been 8 months already, believe it or not. He's done a bit of media over the past couple of months, it seems his recovery is going about as well as it can but it's an enormously complex injury by the sounds of things. He'll be back when he's back.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

This is probably the quickest Leinster backline in years.

15. Hugo Keenan (10)
    14. Adam Byrne (55)
    13. Jimmy O’Brien (12)
    12. Conor O’Brien (19)
    11. Cian Kelleher (9)
    10. Ross Byrne (78)
    9. Jamison Gibson-Park (78)
    1. Peter Dooley (67)
    2. James Tracy (100)
    3. Michael Bent (131)
    4. Ross Molony (88) CAPTAIN
    5. Devin Toner (238)
    6. Josh Murphy (27)
    7. Will Connors (9)
    8. Caelan Doris (22)

16. Bryan Byrne (43)
    17. Ed Byrne (47)
    18. Jack Aungier (1)
    19. Oisín Dowling (4)
    20. Scott Penny (9)
    21. Hugh O’Sullivan (17)
    22. Ciarán Frawley (16)
    23. Fergus McFadden (179)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,051 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

That's about as average a team as Leinster can field.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭scott1974

Glasgow have gone almost full bore.. LBP would be a good return..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭kingofthekong

Front 5 looks very weak, Is Baird injured?

It's a selection with Northampton away in mind. There's only 3 players in this 23 who would make the squad for the game at Franklin's Gardens.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭scott1974

Clegg wrote: »
    It's a selection with Northampton away in mind. There's only 3 players in this 23 who would make the squad for the game at Franklin's Gardens.

The Saints have gone full strength this week against Leicester..

It's great to see Frawley in the squad again. Bit I wish Harry Byrne was involved instead. We were so close to the possibility of having 5 Byrne's on the pitch at the same time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,558 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

We're completely in the driving seat of the league already and this could be the last chance at high level rugby that a lot of guys get for a few months what with interpros and Europe looming large at the moment.

Was a massive defensive effort last weekend (Lyon 60% possession) so not surprised to see everyone given a week off.

The league is a marathon not a sprint so we can afford some weeks off while keeping the squad tuned towards Europe.

It's great to see Frawley in the squad again. Bit I wish Harry Byrne was involved instead. We were so close to the possibility of having 5 Byrne's on the pitch at the same time.

Yeah I never rated Frawley. His name doesn't even rhyme with Byrne

Looking at the team is it (unsurprisingly) callow.

But there is decent options in there.

Good mix of pace and power from 11-14 and chock full of lads who will want to make sure the coaches know they should be involved in Europe

• Registered Users Posts: 11,320 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

I see Conor O Brien is once again blocking Tomanes development.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 41,406 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

salmocab wrote: »

tis a disgrace Joe......

• Registered Users Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

A lot of experience in the front five, extremely young backline with an average age of 24.

Looking forward to seeing how they get on, I'd be happy out with a LBP, we're in the driving seat to top the group and it's clear that Northampton is the priority.

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭eclipsechaser

Just an FYI for season ticket holders. Ticketmaster have 20% off e-vouchers up to €250. I presume you can use it to pay for a season ticket. Handy way to get €50 off the cost. https://guides.ticketmaster.ie/black-friday/ with code BLACK20

• Registered Users Posts: 6,187 ✭✭✭crisco10

Yeah, I suppose getting 29 match points out of 30 in the first 6 games gives you the "right" to pick a weak team every so often without impacting too much on league position.

Great cauldron for the lads to play in, away to Glasgow is a far way from the RDS!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,320 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

I think that team will pinch a win

• Registered Users Posts: 8,436 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

No Jack Dunne? Still, not a bad side. They'd beat some of sides in the league. Another opportunity for Aungier, he's in his 3rd year, so he needs to perform or he might not get a senior contract. Dowling also needs to get in a good performance.
    I think we're going to be competitive, hopefully surprise with a win. The back row looks strong..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

salmocab wrote: »

Leinster are really struggling with integrating players from the academy into the senior side....

The 23 today they have only 21 players who came through the Leinster system......shocking

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

This is probably the quickest Leinster backline in years.

15. Hugo Keenan (10)
    14. Adam Byrne (55)
    13. Jimmy O’Brien (12)
    12. Conor O’Brien (19)
    11. Cian Kelleher (9)
    10. Ross Byrne (78)
    9. Jamison Gibson-Park (78)
    1. Peter Dooley (67)
    2. James Tracy (100)
    3. Michael Bent (131)
    4. Ross Molony (88) CAPTAIN
    5. Devin Toner (238)
    6. Josh Murphy (27)
    7. Will Connors (9)
    8. Caelan Doris (22)

16. Bryan Byrne (43)
    17. Ed Byrne (47)
    18. Jack Aungier (1)
    19. Oisín Dowling (4)
    20. Scott Penny (9)
    21. Hugh O’Sullivan (17)
    22. Ciarán Frawley (16)
    23. Fergus McFadden (179)

I just wonder why Dev is not the captain?

• Subscribers Posts: 41,406 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Shefwedfan wrote: »

molony would have captained most of these players on more occasions previously ??

• Advertisement

Shefwedfan wrote: »

To the best of my knowledge, Dev has captained the side once in his 238 appearances for Leinster.

There was even a moment when he was on the pitch and the starting captain had come off and Jordi Murphy assumed the role of captaincy.

At this stage he's just not seen as captain material. It's not a criticism. Just the way it is

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement