Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread XI (The Finals Countdown)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

To the best of my knowledge, Dev has captained the side once in his 238 appearances for Leinster.

There was even a moment when he was on the pitch and the starting captain had come off and Jordi Murphy assumed the role of captaincy.

At this stage he's just not seen as captain material. It's not a criticism. Just the way it is

With his experience you would think he would like to captain

I know he is not normally a captain but interesting he has only done it once.....

Most players like to throw their hand at it, even if no good!! he is leader when it comes to line out

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Richie_Rich89

Clegg wrote: »
    It's a selection with Northampton away in mind. There's only 3 players in this 23 who would make the squad for the game at Franklin's Gardens.

Which two of JGP, Ross Byrne, Connors/Murphy/Doris, Toner and Tracy would you not have in the XXIII for Northampton?

salmocab wrote: »
    I see Conor O Brien is once again blocking Tomanes development.

Maybe Tomane isn't fully fit? That's certainly the impression you'd get from this https://www.todayfm.com/sport/positive-fergus-mcfadden-news-leinster-injury-update-glasgow-test-928916

How much gametime from this season and last season would O'Brien have under his belt if it wasn't for Tomane's injury absences? 'Very little' is the answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,610 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Like clockwork, you can always rely on a response when mentioning Tomane or O'Brien.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,305 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Like clockwork, you can always rely on a response when mentioning Tomane or O'Brien.
    Mention both for a bonus point win

• Advertisement

I just dont understand the Tomane thing

So squad os 23 players out today. 21 came up via Leinster system and all 23 are qualified for Ireland

This would be a fair representive of most of the Leinster teams either in Pro14 or in HC. Yet Tomane gets picked and you have a few fans who have issue with him for "blocking player".

How can anyone say he is blocking players?

If a player is good enough they will get their chance, it doesn't work out for 100% of them and some move on, some quit etc. But is hardly the fault of Tomanes?

if Leinster didn't have a track record of promoting player to senior teams or couldn't then get them promoted to the Ireland team you could have an argument, but it is the opposite.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,823 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Which two of JGP, Ross Byrne, Connors/Murphy/Doris, Toner and Tracy would you not have in the XXIII for Northampton?

Toner, Byrne and JGP are the only players who'd make the 23 for next weekend. Maybe Doris too, but that's it.

Toner, Byrne and JGP are the only players who'd make the 23 for next weekend. Maybe Doris too, but that's it.

But Cronin's not down to be back, is he?

Plus, it'll have to be one of Doris, Murphy and Connors on the bench, no? - unless Fardy's 6, Ruddock's 20 and Molony is sub lock.

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    I just dont understand the Tomane thing

So squad os 23 players out today. 21 came up via Leinster system and all 23 are qualified for Ireland

This would be a fair representive of most of the Leinster teams either in Pro14 or in HC. Yet Tomane gets picked and you have a few fans who have issue with him for "blocking player".

How can anyone say he is blocking players?

If a player is good enough they will get their chance, it doesn't work out for 100% of them and some move on, some quit etc. But is hardly the fault of Tomanes?

if Leinster didn't have a track record of promoting player to senior teams or couldn't then get them promoted to the Ireland team you could have an argument, but it is the opposite.

The 12 jersey at Leinster is like the 9 jersey was up in Ulster up to when Pienaar left. Noel Reid and Paul Marshall are equivalent - guys who earnt a very small number of international caps, but apart from them it's a black hole as regards development of players into internationals and NIQs signed instead.

I just wonder how good an inside centre prospect has to be before Leinster will back them properly.

The 12 jersey at Leinster is like the 9 jersey was up in Ulster up to when Pienaar left. Noel Reid and Paul Marshall are equivalent - guys who earnt a very small number of international caps, but apart from them it's a black hole as regards development of players into internationals and NIQs signed instead.

I just wonder how good an inside centre prospect has to be before Leinster will back them properly.

Leinster starting 12 is Henshaw, are you saying Leinster are not backing him?

Before that is was Darcy. No idea what Noel Reid has to do with anything, he was trying to be a 10 and then moved to centre, are you saying Tomane blocked him? that's a odd player to come up with....

Marshall at Ulster? really you are grasping at straws now

• Advertisement

Leinster starting 12 is Henshaw, are you saying Leinster are not backing him?

Before that is was Darcy. No idea what Noel Reid has to do with anything, he was trying to be a 10 and then moved to centre, are you saying Tomane blocked him? that's a odd player to come up with....

Marshall at Ulster? really you are grasping at straws now

Perhaps I didn't express myself very well. I was just thinking about all the furore when Pienaar was forced out of Ulster. We had Leinster fans on here saying Ulster hadn't done enough to develop homegrown players and were instead relying on an NIQ long-term.

I think it's quite a similar story for Leinster at inside centre - no-one homegrown developed to international level (apart from Reid and his one cap) and a string of imports signed to play instead - Nacewa at 12, Te'o, Henshaw, Tomane. It's a bad look when you've got Connacht taking Leinster's cast-offs and developing them into Champions Cup standard players.

Perhaps I didn't express myself very well. I was just thinking about all the furore when Pienaar was forced out of Ulster. We had Leinster fans on here saying Ulster hadn't done enough to develop homegrown players and were instead relying on an NIQ long-term.

I think it's quite a similar story for Leinster at inside centre - no-one homegrown developed to international level (apart from Reid and his one cap) and a string of imports signed to play instead - Nacewa at 12, Te'o, Henshaw, Tomane. It's a bad look when you've got Connacht taking Leinster's cast-offs and developing them into Champions Cup standard players.

Madigan, McFadden to name others who have played 12.....I just went to look over season, quickly picking random games....do you know who pops up at 12 a lot of the time which is funny.....Noel Reid going back over the years. He played 120 times for Leinster and your saying he didnt get a chance????

Let's review your players. Nacewa playing 12? at the end of his career when he had lost pace he did. Before that he was wing or FB. Te'o was a 13 who rarely seen time at 12, Te'o another player you hated but was let go so Ringrose could move to centre, you forget that? Henshaw who is Irish, that ok? Tomane is the only one.......

Leinster can only have 23 players in match day squad, what do you want them to do? stockpile players? then you would have a complaint about young players not getting a shot

I have no idea why you are trying to compare to Pineer?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,405 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

#JusticeForFerg

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Kevski

It’s interesting how certain posters continually find problems with NIQ players such as Tomane and Te’o, yet not with NIQ players such as Fardy.

Kevski wrote: »
    It’s interesting how certain posters continually find problems with NIQ players such as Tomane and Te’o, yet not with NIQ players such as Fardy.

Good: Fardy, Bent, JGP, Lowe, Thorn, Gopperth

Bad: Tomane, Te'o, Nacewa

I just can't put my finger on what the difference is

Edit: Sorry I know exactly what it is and I would call the poster out only I would probably get a ban

• Registered Users Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

Jesus some stretch to try claim anyone has said Nacewa was bad and gopperth good. Gopperth got awful stick from most. Nacewa hasn’t had a bad word said about him in a decade

Bridge93 wrote: »
    Jesus some stretch to try claim anyone has said Nacewa was bad and gopperth good. Gopperth got awful stick from most. Nacewa hasn’t had a bad word said about him in a decade

Read the thread.....

Seemingly only a select few NIQ players are picked out as blocking young Irish player.....the other NIQ seems to be ok.....look at the list and try and tell the difference

• Registered Users Posts: 13,024 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Nacewa is one of the most popular Leinster players of the pro era, NIQ or otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭MaybeMaybe

Nacewa is one of the most popular Leinster players of the pro era, NIQ or otherwise.

Even more than Clint Newland?

Nacewa is the best signing any Irish province has ever made.

• Advertisement

Nacewa is the best signing any Irish province has ever made.

Both Howlett and Nacewa were huge additions to the Munster and Leinster setups. Howlett was the bigger name but ultimately over his two stints at Leinster I feel that Nacewa added more value.

I think Fardy has been probably our second best signing. Thorn was brilliant for the year and helped some of our younger forwards come on significantly. Elsom was critical for us on and off the field also - he was a brutally tough man and I think his do or die attitude permeated through the squad just when it was needed.

On the basis of his performances this season I'm quite excited about Tomane and given his qualification status next year I reckon Lowe could be a huge name for Leinster. He's the best back three player in Ireland since Bowe and looks to have more in his locker again. Absolutely nailed on for Ireland as soon as he qualifies.

I think we've done well out of the bigger name signings, I think they've all been generally decent people also who've bought into the ethos and values of the club or indeed sharpened the expectation of the playing group in a positive way.

Lote Tuqiri.

Howlett had peaked as a player by the time he joined Munster. He was still excellent for a few seasons, but performances gradually declined. Nacewa was only approaching his best when he signed and we got five years of excellence from him before he retired. Then another two when he came back.

We'll never make another signing like that ever again. He was world class in three different positionsis and would have 50+ caps for New Zealand were it not for his single appearance for Fiji. A world class player with no test match commitments. Gave everything he had to his club side.

Both Howlett and Nacewa were huge additions to the Munster and Leinster setups. Howlett was the bigger name but ultimately over his two stints at Leinster I feel that Nacewa added more value.

I think Fardy has been probably our second best signing. Thorn was brilliant for the year and helped some of our younger forwards come on significantly. Elsom was critical for us on and off the field also - he was a brutally tough man and I think his do or die attitude permeated through the squad just when it was needed.

On the basis of his performances this season I'm quite excited about Tomane and given his qualification status next year I reckon Lowe could be a huge name for Leinster. He's the best back three player in Ireland since Bowe and looks to have more in his locker again. Absolutely nailed on for Ireland as soon as he qualifies.

I think we've done well out of the bigger name signings, I think they've all been generally decent people also who've bought into the ethos and values of the club or indeed sharpened the expectation of the playing group in a positive way.

Lote Tuqiri.

I'd also add Brad Thorn to the list of great Leinster signings. We wouldnt have won against Clermont in the European Cup SF without him. Was only here for a few months, but his performances on the pitch and in training impressed a lot of players. I remember BoD and Darcy saying they were astonished that a 37 year old could still play 80 minutes at a very high level and then train the next week.

Agreed on Lowe. There isn't a back in Ireland that possesses the skillset he does. He's big enough to run over player, has the line running ability to cut through defences and the handling ability to offload and keep attacks moving/start counter attacks from anywhere. We've not seen him at his very best yet this season. But even when he's not at his very best he still contributes so much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

Good: Fardy, Bent, JGP, Lowe, Thorn, Gopperth

Bad: Tomane, Te'o, Nacewa

I just can't put my finger on what the difference is

Edit: Sorry I know exactly what it is and I would call the poster out only I would probably get a ban

This is absolute nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,305 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

ISA and Fardy are two of my favourites but I think Bent was an absolutely brilliant signing and I have a real soft spot for Triggs I thought he was really good and a bit underrated.

This is absolute nonsense.

As some people didnt bother reading the posts beforehand

A certain poster has called out Tomane, Te'o and now Nacewa as blocking young players.....any mention of Tomane and this poster is on......

The certain poster has yet to mention above of the following as blocking players: Fardy, Bent, JGP, Lowe, Thorn, Gopperth....

Why do a certain 3 players get pointed at for blocking players but some other players are not.....

• Registered Users Posts: 11,237 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Saints hammering Tigers. Tigers will be behind Sarries soon enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,237 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Saints set piece is a mess. Big area to target next 2 weeks

14 man Northampton dismantling Leicester.

• Advertisement

Northampton have scored three trys from Leicester losing possession off their own lineout.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement