Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread XI (The Finals Countdown)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

prawnsambo wrote: »
    Unfair to blame McGrath for that. As he was trying to pull the ball out of the maul, it surged forward and the ball was pulled out of his hands. It always frustrates me how the scrum half has to literally rip the ball from the back of the maul, forwards should not be fighting to hold on to it from their own SH.

I think he made a misake, he went to take the ball, stopped, looked around, then went back to take the ball, stopped, looked around and then when he finally went to take the ball the maul moved forward and it was knocked on.....

Not trying to crucify him or anything.....I think a number of player where guilty of errors. My main point was we had created the attacking positions but small errors by lots of players meant Leinster didnt score

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    I think he made a misake, he went to take the ball, stopped, looked around, then went back to take the ball, stopped, looked around and then when he finally went to take the ball the maul moved forward and it was knocked on.....

Not trying to crucify him or anything.....I think a number of player where guilty of errors. My main point was we had created the attacking positions but small errors by lots of players meant Leinster didnt score
    You're literally describing what a scrum half does at the back of a maul as it starts and stops and starts again. He's always under pressure once the ref calls 'once' and has to scan for options and at the same time allow the maul move forward if it can. When the knock on occurred he was clearly trying to get the ball out. Whoever was holding onto the ball made it impossible for him to get clean possession. Your main point is a valid one, I'm just taking issue with this one because I noted it at the time and was really annoyed about it.

As I said, there has to be better reactions from the maul when the SH wants the ball. They don't know if there's an attacking option available, give the bloody thing up to the guy who's scanning the defence.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,353 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Watching the game again now.One thing I noticed at the time but wasn't sure about was Johnny as captain. Previously he's been very agressive, petulant, abrasive towards refs. Today he was very ... not passive, but patient with the ref. He didn't interrupt didn't try and enforce his will (impotently), and it worked out a lot better for him. It was very much, "listen to the ref, agree, and make a point", reminded me of better captains as I've never been convinced by Johnny as a captain so far. Impressed with his peformance overall. Final evolution perhaps.

Watching the game again now.One thing I noticed at the time but wasn't sure about was Johnny as captain. Previously he's been very agressive, petulant, abrasive towards refs. Today he was very ... not passive, but patient with the ref. He didn't interrupt didn't try and enforce his will (impotently), and it worked out a lot well for him. It was very much, "listen to the ref, agree, and make a point", reminded me of better captains as I've never been convinced by Johnny as a captain so far. Impressed with his peformance overall. Final evolution perhaps.
    Noticed that myself. No shouting or waving hands, just calm, polite and non-confrontational. He's been having captaining classes. ;)

• Advertisement

Watching the game again now.One thing I noticed at the time but wasn't sure about was Johnny as captain. Previously he's been very agressive, petulant, abrasive towards refs. Today he was very ... not passive, but patient with the ref. He didn't interrupt didn't try and enforce his will (impotently), and it worked out a lot well for him. It was very much, "listen to the ref, agree, and make a point", reminded me of better captains as I've never been convinced by Johnny as a captain so far. Impressed with his peformance overall. Final evolution perhaps.

Did he captain the Bath game last season and I thought he was similar? Maybe my old age is getting to me

• Registered Users Posts: 24,212 ✭✭✭✭Buer

VDF is quickly becoming one of the most important players in Irish rugby this season given the lack of options elsewhere.

Heartening to see Murphy go well against Clermont but VDF is on another level.

Good to see how happy the players seemed to be back in blue. They looked far more relaxed and coherent than they have done for some time.

There's life in Sexton yet. That hit on Fearns yesterday was ridiculous for an outhalf giving up approximately 25kg.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,378 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Did any one catch exactly what Sexton said to fernes after that incident, during the ref chat?

At first I thought it was "are you OK with that"... But I can't see why he would have said that... So I'm more thinking he said "did you complain about that"...

sydthebeat wrote: »
    Did any one catch exactly what Sexton said to fernes after that incident, during the ref chat?

At first I thought it was "are you OK with that"... But I can't see why he would have said that... So I'm more thinking he said "did you complain about that"...
    I thought Fernes said something first? Got the impression it was something along the lines of Sexton milking it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,974 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

I thought Fernes said something first? Got the impression it was something along the lines of Sexton milking it.

Yeah that's what I thought. It was a cheap shot on Sexton but he did milk it. As he has a tendency to do. Fernes definitely said something to him about it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Yeah_Right wrote: »
    Yeah that's what I thought. It was a cheap shot on Sexton but he did milk it. As he has a tendency to do. Fernes definitely said something to him about it.

The comment was "he is a strong boy" and the ref replied saying you still can't shoulder charge a guy off the ball

• Registered Users Posts: 5,974 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

Burkie1203 wrote: »
    The comment was "he is a strong boy" and the ref replied saying you still can't shoulder charge a guy off the ball

It was after that.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,378 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Yeah_Right wrote: »
    It was after that.

Yeah, it was the exchange after the ref walked away

• Registered Users Posts: 17,051 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

I'm coming around to Venjur's way of thinking on yesterday's performance. We went to the home of one of the better French sides and did a job on them. We utterly frustrated them, and while we rode our luck on a few occasion re yellow cards, we were the better team throughout. That's an excellent result.

In comparison, Munster drawing at home to Racing is a terrible outcome. It brings Saracens back into the group in a big way and potentially paves the way for Raving to top the group. I'm only posting this here because I don't want this to be taken the wrong way elsewhere.

Clegg wrote: »
    I'm coming around to Venjur's way of thinking on yesterday's performance. We went to the home of one of the better French sides and did a job on them. We utterly frustrated them, and while we rode our luck on a few occasion re yellow cards, we were the better team throughout. That's an excellent result.

In comparison, Munster drawing at home to Racing is a terrible outcome. It brings Saracens back into the group in a big way and potentially paves the way for Raving to top the group. I'm only posting this here because I don't want this to be taken the wrong way elsewhere.
    To be fair, I actually thought Racing would win that game. Just thought they would be too strong for a Munster team that are feeling their way into a new coaching regime.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,632 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

If we win this weekend I think that's pretty much top spot locked in. We'll have Northampton and Lyon away who were both fairly poor away from home so far. They're playing Leicester this weekend who haven't exactly looked great and then they've a two week break after our game so they'll likely be going hell for leather, so I think it could potentially be a close one.

If we win this weekend I think that's pretty much top spot locked in. We'll have Northampton and Lyon away who were both fairly poor away from home so far. They're playing Leicester this weekend who haven't exactly looked great and then they've a two week break after our game so they'll likely be going hell for leather, so I think it could potentially be a close one.
    You had me scrambling for the fixture list there. Next EPCR match is on 7th December. Northampton away.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,632 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

You had me scrambling for the fixture list there. Next EPCR match is on 7th December. Northampton away.

Yep you're right, not this weekend but the weekend after. Northampton don't play again in the premiership until December 20th after they play Leicester on the 29th.

Northampton are not great to be honest, Lyon looked a far better team. I think Lyon made the mistake of not taking points when they had them.....

Full match on youtube. May not be up for long:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,418 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

The back row was astounding. All 3 were immense. Deegan is becoming really good all around. Ruddock is a beast , he really is strong in the carry and his work rate is amazing. VDF is a different player under stuleo. He's carrying more, finding gaps and exploiting them. I haven't seen that when he lines out for Ireland. He's easily the best 7 around now. Although Nordi was sensational on Friday.
    We were fortunate not to be a man down for the frequent mail penalties. One thing that I noticed was Lyon scrimmaged at an angle. I think they turned into us, and wheeling the scrum around. I may be wrong? Anybody see that?

Full match on youtube. May not be up for long:

I love Leinster and all but God I couldn't sit and watch all that again :P

Dubinusa wrote: »
    The back row was astounding. All 3 were immense. Deegan is becoming really good all around. Ruddock is a beast , he really is strong in the carry and his work rate is amazing. VDF is a different player under stuleo. He's carrying more, finding gaps and exploiting them. I haven't seen that when he lines out for Ireland. He's easily the best 7 around now. Although Nordi was sensational on Friday.
    We were fortunate not to be a man down for the frequent mail penalties. One thing that I noticed was Lyon scrimmaged at an angle. I think they turned into us, and wheeling the scrum around. I may be wrong? Anybody see that?

Do we really need to come up with a short name version of Leo and Stuart, really??? can we not just stick to management team.....

Yes on the scrum you are right.....the ref never got a handle on it so they continued to do it.....

• Registered Users Posts: 24,212 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    Do we really need to come up with a short name version of Leo and Stuart, really???

Definitely not. We already came up with Leocaster ages ago.

Buer wrote: »

giphy.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 1,129 ✭✭✭Granny15

Special mentions for VDF, Fardy and Ryan who had superb games. VDF really relishing the physical battle and not flinching in contact. Solid defensive performance from the whole team and you know what they say about defences - they win championships.

Poor handling skills from McGrath and Deegan throughout could have cost us. Think we could have done more with the ball in hand - if some of those passes stuck we could have had a bit of breathing room.

Front row earned their wages and had a tough day at the office but didn't crack under the pressure of a serious scrummaging outfit. I think Kellehers rise has been a long time coming and he handled himself well in a very competitive physical battle, his darts were accurate as per usual in a game where clean lineout ball was imperative. Another performance in 2 weeks time and he will be pushing for spot in 6 Nations on the bench.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,558 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

Initial reaction of that match was mild disappointment.

But upon reflection I am delighted. It was a real slog and we clearly learned from the Toulouse game last season.

To beat the Top14 leaders on their home patch is great (their first home loss since March) but to keep them tryless was another achievement altogether.

Leinsters ability to defend for countless phases and not concede any penalties is a sight to behold at times.

I thought Leinster were very hard done by with some of the maul penalties (and some they definitely deserved to be whistled)

I am often a defender of Luke but he needs to be better than he was today. Never seemed to settle fully into the game.

Garry, who I so often admire for his intellect, showed a real lack of it in the final few minutes. The obstruction was slightly unlucky but he should really be putting himself in a better position. The offside from the knock on was just annoying. It might have been a 50/50 ball. But don't risk it in that situation. Always a threat with ball in hand though.

I noticed that the ante seemed well and truly raised when Porter came on. He wasn't perfect but he really looks like a person fully intent on getting that blue and green 3 shirt.

Buer wrote: »

I like “Bomber Command”

Apologies, but I like Stuleo.

• Advertisement

I thought Deegan was superb! I must watch it again.
    Luke had a hard time, but he was under massive pressure. His box kicks were really good, I thought. Ryan and Henshaw blew chances by not passing . I think we might have scored.
    Bamba is a really tough customer, he and Healy had a great battle.
    On a side note, Lyon have a fantastic stadium.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement