Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread XI (The Finals Countdown)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,718 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

I don't think Henshaw's place is under threat just yet. I agree that he needs to start showing more as an attacking threat. A few seasons ago he was very effective when carrying in the wider channels. It was very clearly a tactic that we used. Henshaw is a good offloader. Get him carrying wider, break the line and offload to someone inside or outside.

I don't see Ringrose being overtaken by anyone however. His performances at the WC and then in his return for Leinster showed he's by far and away the best 13 in the country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Clegg wrote: »
    I don't think Henshaw's place is under threat just yet. I agree that he needs to start showing more as an attacking threat. A few seasons ago he was very effective when carrying in the wider channels. It was very clearly a tactic that we used. Henshaw is a good offloader. Get him carrying wider, break the line and offload to someone inside or outside.

I don't see Ringrose being overtaken by anyone however. His performances at the WC and then in his return for Leinster showed he's by far and away the best 13 in the country.

Both Ringrose and Henshaw when in fit and in form will be first choice for Leinster and Ireland.

Over the last few years Henshaw has rushed back from injuries. BOD talked about it the Grand Slam year when he came back for the semi in Europe. He couldn't believe it but also said it could have affect long term.

I think Henshaw is suffering now and maybe needs a rest.

Similar to Furlong who has seen a drop in form. He has been on the go non stop since he broke into the senior team. Either with Ireland/Leinster or with Lions.

With the back up now available its time to give these guys a rest and let them get back into form again.

• Administrators Posts: 53,393 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    Both Ringrose and Henshaw when in fit and in form will be first choice for Leinster and Ireland.

Over the last few years Henshaw has rushed back from injuries. BOD talked about it the Grand Slam year when he came back for the semi in Europe. He couldn't believe it but also said it could have affect long term.

I think Henshaw is suffering now and maybe needs a rest.

Similar to Furlong who has seen a drop in form. He has been on the go non stop since he broke into the senior team. Either with Ireland/Leinster or with Lions.

With the back up now available its time to give these guys a rest and let them get back into form again.

In reality it's not as clear cut as you're making out when it comes to Henshaw, and it's a bit convenient to suggest it's all down to injury.

The IRFU have just given Bundee Aki a 3 year central deal, and they don't hand those out to too many people.

awec wrote: »
    In reality it's not as clear cut as you're making out when it comes to Henshaw, and it's a bit convenient to suggest it's all down to injury.

The IRFU have just given Bundee Aki a 3 year central deal, and they don't hand those out to too many people.

Do we need to discuss Aki contract on a Leinster thread?

Since 2018 and the injury in the 6 nations Henshaw has rushed back from one injury after another, as soon as fit he has had a injury relapse....

As per my point with Leinster having back up's available and no Ireland match's it is giving time to Henshaw to properly recover.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 6,773 Mod ✭✭✭✭connemara man

Do we need to discuss Aki contract on a Leinster thread?

Since 2018 and the injury in the 6 nations Henshaw has rushed back from one injury after another, as soon as fit he has had a injury relapse....

As per my point with Leinster having back up's available and no Ireland match's it is giving time to Henshaw to properly recover.

You're the one who brought up Ireland so ya know...

• Advertisement

You're the one who brought up Ireland so ya know...

No I don't know???

Please tell me

Henshaw is definitely under serious pressure from Aki and him getting a central contract of that duration suggests that Farrell is a fan.

Then again, maybe the IRFU were just trying to keep Connacht fans happy. I should go and post this theory on the Caunaght thread.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 6,773 Mod ✭✭✭✭connemara man

No I don't know???

Please tell me

You brought up Ireland, someone replied to you something to do with Ireland, you don't really get to say let's not talk about that here when you literally started the tangent

You brought up Ireland, someone replied to you something to do with Ireland, you don't really get to say let's not talk about that here when you literally started the tangent

Actually couldn't be bothered.....

Ok let me get this straight, just a bit confused

I am talking about a Leinster player, in the Leinster thread. Just because I mentioned Ireland in passing this automatically brings in a conversation about a Connacht player? and his central contract?

Nevermind the rest of the post has nothing to do with Ireland at all.....

Plus the conversation was about younger Leinster players replacing both Henshaw and Ringrose at .....wait for it.....Leinster

Would you ever stop being ridiculous, you made a statement and it was challenged. Henshaw's competitors at National team level are still relevant to this thread as they dictate what his availability during international windows is likely to be.

And you did introduce the international element to the conversation. I've no idea why you are making an issue out of this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,144 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

I think Henshaw is under pressure for Ireland at least. He seems to be just tricking it up to the gainline, imo. Aki getting the contract is big. Those two will be rivals over the coming years.
    C.O.B and J.O.B looked great. They have come up together and seem to have an understanding. They both really excelled this weekend.
    It's a ton of talent in midfield atm. Not forgetting Gavin Mullin and Tommy O'Brien are coming up soon.
    I think one of the lads will move to another province. It is a logjam at the moment and the depth is unreal.

Seeing as people are determined to down this rabbit hole

Henshaw went to WC and got injured, he was kept for entire group in the hope he would play at some stage in knock out stages. That was a management decision and Farrell was involved in that decision....not something that would happen for squad player

Ringrose went into warm up games behind the other centres but by the finish of WC is nailed on starter

Based on the above I though it was ok to make a statement to say Henshaw and Ringrose are starters for Ireland.....

Happy for Aki and great for Connacht he is on central contract....nothing to do with a Leinster thread.....no slight on Aki meant or anything.....either to Farrell....

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,225 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

Seeing as people are determined to down this rabbit hole

Henshaw went to WC and got injured, he was kept for entire group in the hope he would play at some stage in knock out stages. That was a management decision and Farrell was involved in that decision....not something that would happen for squad player

Ringrose went into warm up games behind the other centres but by the finish of WC is nailed on starter

Based on the above I though it was ok to make a statement to say Henshaw and Ringrose are starters for Ireland.....

Happy for Aki and great for Connacht he is on central contract....nothing to do with a Leinster thread.....no slight on Aki meant or anything.....either to Farrell....

Didn't we do practically the exact same thing for Carbery? And he obviously wasn't a starter. I don't think it's as clear cut as you're making out.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Actually couldn't be bothered.....

Tell you what, when you're a mod you can tell people what they're not allowed to post about. Until then, mind your manners and don't be so snarky.

• Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭guapos

Just noticed we're playing Munster away at Christmas again. Hopefully we send a full strength team down to avenge last years defeat.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,236 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

For anyone not going on Saturday, the game is live free to air on Virgin Media One.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭Rigor Mortis

guapos wrote: »
    Just noticed we're playing Munster away at Christmas again. Hopefully we send a full strength team down to avenge last years defeat.

Leo has already said that the usual rotation will happen over Christmas
    Even more understandable given the World Cup. Of the Pro 14 games over Christmas, Ulster has to be the priority as its in our own conference. I would imagine Connacht, as a home game will be the next priority. Munster is probably lowest on the list for the coaches.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭kingofthekong

Or they could put out the kids again and give full strength Munster a run for their money lol

Sent the kids down the year before and won.....

I don't think sending a full strength team to Thomond is massively high on agenda. We will still top our conference if we lose.

The return fixture would be more important as we wouldn't want to lose that one.....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,210 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

Anyone who went to World Cup is getting two full weeks off over Xmas. Given Munster match is the middle interpro, nobody who went to World Cup will be available I think, of course same is true for Munster which probably makes Leinster favourites.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,520 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

ClanofLams wrote: »
    Anyone who went to World Cup is getting two full weeks off over Xmas. Given Munster match is the middle interpro, nobody who went to World Cup will be available I think, of course same is true for Munster which probably makes Leinster favourites.

They'd surely make an exception for Carbery though. He hasn't played in months but is apparently back soon.

But I agree. Works to our advantage.

We'd still be able to put out Lowe, Fardy, Tomane, Dev, Kelleher, Cronin (?), Bent, Ross Byrne, JGP etc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Richie_Rich89

ClanofLams wrote: »

Someone on planet rugby forum is saying anyone who went to Japan will only be allowed to play one of the three games over Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,210 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

Someone on planet rugby forum is saying anyone who went to Japan will only be allowed to play one of the three games over Christmas.

Andy Friend said last week RWC players get two full weeks off, no training or anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,317 ✭✭✭scott1974

• Registered Users Posts: 16,718 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Courtney Lawes is out of this weekends game and is only 50/50 for the game at Lansdowne Road. Apparently Owen Franks will miss this weekends game too. He's flying back to New Zealand for Richie Mounga's wedding.

Best guess for this weekend:

Healy
    Six Nations starting Hooker
    Furlong
    Ryan
    Fardy
    Ruddock
    VDF
    Doris
    McGrath
    Sexbomb
    Larmour
    Behind Aki
    Ringrose
    Lowe
    Dreamboat

• Registered Users Posts: 4,753 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

Sent the kids down the year before and won.....

I don't think sending a full strength team to Thomond is massively high on agenda. We will still top our conference if we lose.

The return fixture would be more important as we wouldn't want to lose that one.....

Must say i thoroughly enjoyed the Munster match last Christmas.
    Ulster game was a shambles .
    The inter-pros games should get the full starting XV treatment and having them all clustered together doesn't really help create rivalries or the pro14.

Ultimately i think intense rivalry and competition between the province is of more benefit to Irish rugby than a friendly rivalry and "player management".

There are the obvious cases where some of the forwards need to be given a break. e.g. Furlong

• Registered Users Posts: 4,753 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

• Registered Users Posts: 8,144 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

I want to see Larmour at fb. Great test for him. Would also like to see Adam Byrne, but it's very unlikely.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,520 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

Dubinusa wrote: »
    I want to see Larmour at fb. Great test for him. Would also like to see Adam Byrne, but it's very unlikely.

I'm a fan of Adam and he is definitely European standard. But I haven't seen anything of him yet this season that warrants inclusion in the European side yet

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement