Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Near misses - mod warning 22/04 - see OP/post 822

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,822 ✭✭✭fat bloke

Very hard to say but it doesn't look like an audi to me. If I was to guess I'd say a Kia Cee'd but, not enough detail really.

Awful lucky you weren't further out in the lane or you'd not have been posting that!!!! :mad:

I've a line I use for ones like that I've used before here and it goes like this " You could have shoved a lump of coal up my butt and I'd have pooped a diamond after that"

EDIT: Seeing that few more times, jesus h christ thats a close shave.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,960 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

fat bloke wrote: »
    Very hard to say but it doesn't look like an audi to me. If I was to guess I'd say a Kia Cee'd but, not enough detail really.
    Don't think it's an Audi either. Seat Leon??

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,515 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

I think you might be right about that. Looking at the original file the badge is more square and there is some text to the left that isn’t very Audi.

• Registered Users Posts: 884 ✭✭✭sy_flembeck

Don't think it's an Audi either. Seat Leon??

My guess too. As a Seat Leon driver myself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭What Username Guidelines

Looking at badge position and circular lights, maybe a mk5 golf?

https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/KTUAAOSwivdczacR/s-l300.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 36,166 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Seems like a Seat to me.

Do NOT envy you commuting the N4.

Thanks everyone, really appreciate the help.

I usually go via Strawberry Beds but when it’s dark and wet I figure the N4 is safer. It’s usually fine but all it takes is one moron to scare the ****e out of you.

• Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭The pigeon man

5uspect wrote: »
    Thanks everyone, really appreciate the help.

I usually go via Strawberry Beds but when it’s dark and wet I figure the N4 is safer. It’s usually fine but all it takes is one moron to scare the ****e out of you.

Glad that you're still alive after that shocking near death incident. I would suggest contacting the petrol station to look at their CCTV. If you know the exact time it'll be easy to catch them pulling in.

Drivers like that need to be put off the road before there's a fatality.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭Breezer

Looks like a Seat Leon to me too. Glad you’re alright.

Edit: Actually no, the badge is wrong. Looks more like a Kia.

p.png?fv_content=true&size_mode=5

Kia-Pro-Ceed-Verus-X-Rear-Bumper-Extension_picture_25703.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

We have a seat leon, light pattern is wrong for the 2006 model anyway

Here’s a sharpened still from the camera before YouTube mangles it. Pretty sure its 08-D-851xx.

Sorry, image was too large to attach, here's a link.
    https://imgur.com/S9REOhL

S9REOhL.png
    Perhaps it is indeed a Kia cee'd?

kia-ceed-hatch-back-09-05-08.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 20,914 ✭✭✭✭Stark

5uspect wrote: »
    Here’s a sharpened still from the camera before YouTube mangles it. Pretty sure its 08-D-85xxx.

I'm getting an invalid attachment message.

Edit: working now

⛥ ̸̱̼̞͛̀̓̈́͘#C̶̼̭͕̎̿͝R̶̦̮̜̃̓͌O̶̬͙̓͝W̸̜̥͈̐̾͐Ṋ̵̲͔̫̽̎̚͠ͅT̸͓͒͐H̵͔͠È̶̖̳̘͍͓̂W̴̢̋̈͒͛̋I̶͕͑͠T̵̻͈̜͂̇Č̵̤̟̑̾̂̽H̸̰̺̏̓ ̴̜̗̝̱̹͛́̊̒͝⛥

• Registered Users Posts: 1,877 ✭✭✭micar

I reckon that the third digit is 1 and only one digit after that

Using NCT website....I got the following

08D8517 is a grey kia ceed

• Registered Users Posts: 1,725 ✭✭✭tnegun

I used to commute the N4 until quite recently but just gave up and take a longer route away from traffic doing those speeds there's just no room for error for either party :(

Nothing like 5usects near miss I saw the car ahead indicate then stop and knew I had one or two cars behind me. The first overtook me and I turned back to see where the other was it was further back than I thought and I did a double take to be sure, I never saw the stopped car ahead indicate to pull out. I went to pass and he starts accelerating leaving me in the middle of the road with a car coming in the other direction thankfully the car on the other side had stopped or it would of been very tight! Bit of a 50/50 I think, we both should of been more observant

https://streamable.com/t805m

• Registered Users Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Has a fast close pass by a large suv (possibly Pajero) today here - really startled me.

https://goo.gl/maps/WjNVri2UZyV2VNRa8

He would have seen me from hundreds of meters back - flashing rear stobe and visibility was good. Didn’t even change his course as he sped through the traffic calming. What a Cnut.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,468 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Sam Beckett rarely fails to deliver. Here's two days from last week.

In the first clip, a white SUV does an illegal left turn, followed by a black Golf and silver taxi both breaking the red light to do their illegal left turn.

In the second clip, a Profix van breaks the red light to do an illegal left turn while the AirLink Dublin Bus tears through the stale red light.

https://streamable.com/4xtku

• Registered Users Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭Duckjob

Pinch Flat wrote: »
    Has a fast close pass by a large suv (possibly Pajero) today here - really startled me.

https://goo.gl/maps/WjNVri2UZyV2VNRa8

He would have seen me from hundreds of meters back - flashing rear stobe and visibility was good. Didn’t even change his course as he sped through the traffic calming. What a Cnut.

If it was a Pajero, then in fairness you're dealing with someone driving around in a vehicle with "W*nker" written on the back of it

• Registered Users Posts: 3,151 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

Sam Beckett rarely fails to deliver. Here's two days from last week.

In the first clip, a white SUV does an illegal left turn, followed by a black Golf and silver taxi both breaking the red light to do their illegal left turn.

In the second clip, a Profix van breaks the red light to do an illegal left turn while the AirLink Dublin Bus tears through the stale red light.

https://streamable.com/4xtku

That sums up many Irish Drivers current appaling attitude to road signage and traffic signals. All AGS would have to do is put an officer on the bridge and cash in on the fines. The money could then be put towards buying a camera to catch the red light runners.

Kaisr Sose wrote: »
    That sums up many Irish Drivers current appaling attitude to road signage and traffic signals. All AGS would have to do is put an officer on the bridge and cash in on the fines. The money could then be put towards buying a camera to catch the red light runners.

Why are they not doing this? I mean the red light running is endemic at this stage. We talk about it here all the time. It’s a phenomenon of recent years. They’re not thick, they know it’s happening. Is it paperwork, morale, resources, the likelihood or lack thereof of getting a conviction? At this stage I’m convinced there’s a policy of “discretion” being used. There must be a reason for that.

• Advertisement

@Breezer
    I don't know what the impediment is, but it's a good question. I would start the guessing game with its become a cultural thing for this to be tolerated. Maybe its the paperwork, laziness or perhaps just no resources. All could removed by technology that's available since at least 2003.

It's low hanging fruit. The underlying behaviours on red light running is sure to trickle down into other offences. Impatience is the root cause of many a close pass I had to endure.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,482 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

road safety in ireland is not policed because it's 'fixed'. we have a historically low number of road deaths, therefore the gardai are not going to go chasing a problem which they reckon is at background noise now anyway.

road safety in ireland is not policed because it's 'fixed'. we have a historically low number of road deaths, therefore the gardai are not going to go chasing a problem which they reckon is at background noise now anyway.

If it's fixed how come there are so many incidents resulting in injury? Then, what about the RSA ongoing safety campaigns, ie. slow down, drive at a speed relative to the road condition and visibility, how to approach and exit a roundabout etc. That's just money wasted if the problems are fixed.
    But my pet hate is red light running. Maybe it's because I was hit by a car doing this in 2016. Yes, everything is fixed. I however, still have symptoms from that incident that shouldn't have happened. Driver not prosecuted either.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,482 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i'm not saying i think it's fixed, lest i gave that impression. the authorities think it's fixed, to a certain extent at least.

i'm not saying i think it's fixed, lest i gave that impression. the authorities think it's fixed, to a certain extent at least.

I know what you mean. The narrative and reality are far from aligned and getting further and further apart. Now the rural TD cohort are rebelling against revisions to Penalty Point based on speed above the prescribed limit. Whats the logic in that!

AKA "Speeding is part of the game, Marty"

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Kaisr Sose wrote: »
    I know what you mean. The narrative and reality are far from aligned and getting further and further apart. Now the rural TD cohort are rebelling against revisions to Penalty Point based on speed above the prescribed limit. Whats the logic in that!

AKA "Speeding is part of the game, Marty"

I don't know if it is to be taken seriously, I seen the article in the Indo. To put it in perspective, many rural roads are 80kmph speed limit, plenty of which are not safe to use at that speed (unless its closed roads and a rally car). They are arguing against a court appearance for 110kmph on a rural road, where there are blind corners and pinch points all over the place. Literally arguing against motorway speeds in rural Ireland. I think they have misjudged the public if it is true. Those who do speed would probably be happy that the 10kmph over the limit now has a reduced fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,079 ✭✭✭paddydriver

Breezer wrote: »
    Why are they not doing this? I mean the red light running is endemic at this stage. We talk about it here all the time. It’s a phenomenon of recent years. They’re not thick, they know it’s happening. Is it paperwork, morale, resources, the likelihood or lack thereof of getting a conviction? At this stage I’m convinced there’s a policy of “discretion” being used. There must be a reason for that.

Yes.. I don't get this either. It is clear for everyone to see how bad it has got. I just wonder are these same people (politicians etc) red light runners themselves as no one seems to care these days.

I live close to a major junction of Upr Kilmacud Rd and Drummartin Link Road and its just normal practice on nearly every sequence that cars run the red lights. To add to it too I experienced a new level of w*nkerism on Sat evening when out for a walk with my 11 y/o son.. we have 4 x green men for whole junction so we crossed the 2 x roads one by one (didn't cross thru middle of junction) and as we crossed 2nd one a car started edging forward on us across the stop line and into the pedestrian area in readiness to take off.. I stared at him and he then points up at the amber man (He still had a read light for another 5-10 seconds) as though to say I shouldn't be on the road crossing... seriously, what kind of stupid ignorant people do we have driving cars these days. Only cause my son was with me I would have had more to say to the driver and may very well have led to conflict..

Something needs to be done on the red light running as I don't see it mentioned in press etc but is clear for all to see that it is all breaking down. It just really annoys me and gives a real indication of the selfish mentality of society these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,877 ✭✭✭micar

Myself and a few cyclist had a lovely encounter with a pr1ck in an Audi Q7 travelling from Harts corner towards Mobhi rd.

At each set if traffic lights he floored only to be caught at the next set of traffic lights.

Happened 3 times.......So dangerous.

Wonder if it was because of our presence or is he always like that.

Will have a view of the footage later.

I should really report time for dangerous and aggressive driving.

Did he come around Hart's Corner in the bus lane as well, by any chance? That's another shooting fish in a barrel spot, should the Gardaí care to shoot the fish who have voluntarily leapt into the barrel. Which apparently they don't.

Sorry, I'm derailing the thread slightly, I'll leave it at that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭5CHULZY

Heading into work this evening over luke kelly bridge turning left onto Richmond road. One car in front of me and clear in front of that car pulling up to lights. Then a car in middle lane decides to pull out in front of her causing her to slam on brakes and I just manage to avoid going straight into back of her car but hit the the rear corner with my arm. Luckily uncliped in time to avoid further embarrassment.

The lady in front did pull over and apologise and say it was the car next to her, so fair play to her as it wasnt her fault. Think she was more shaken up by it fobe honest.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement