Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Minimum alcohol pricing is nigh

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,902 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

"Revealed - something everyone's already known for years"
    The Indo really is a rag.

Not to the received opinion in Official Ireland though... which might be whom the Indo are addressing.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

MUP has been proven to reduce overall consumption.

Reducing consumption leads to better health.

Better health leads to finite resources in the health service being put to better use.

Really basic stuff.
    You'd want to be awful naive to believe that this is about health and not just another stealth tax cash grab.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 840 ✭✭✭The Late Late Show

This madness about alcohol advertising is coming into effect this week despite Commander Harris never asking the people if they wanted this cr@p. Harris is like a creep from the regime in The Handmaid's Tale trying to turn Ireland into a neo-religious far right society. Of course he will point out to thugs who ruin Halloween for everyone as reasoning behind his anti-alcohol agenda. He will also use the opinions of a doctor who is a member of a cult called the Pioneers of the Sacred Heart or something sounding Gileadean like that.

Will this anti-alcohol agenda stop thugs congregating in our city centres and bullying people, robbing people and slashing people's tyres? No. Will this legislation kill festivals and harm jobs? Yes. Will it save the pubs as some backers of it claim? No. Tougher laws to deal with street nuisances like the recent Halloween carry on is needed. Target these not everyone. We then have The Young Offenders served up as a comedy glamourising little brats who we all have to suffer over with Harris' plans. Used to enjoy The Young Offenders but not when Harris wants to harras us with far right drivel.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,482 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

What effect will the changes in advertising have on peoples ability to drink?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,422 ✭✭✭wonga77

I disagree, the "drinking problems" are myths from the government.
    Leroy42 wrote: »

None. A bit like the bonkers decision to put all cigarette boxes the same colour. It will have zero effect but someone somewhere will get a clap on the back and be thanked for saving the next generation :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

It's an awfully bitter rant for something that will have no discernible effect on anyone but maybe the advertisement industry!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

Quite a lot it is hoped.
    The numbers of under fours drinking alcohol outside creches waiting for their parents to collect them is enourmousthese days. Damaging to the infants, and a menace to residents living in the area. Preventing drinks adverts within 200 yards of them can only reduce the glamourising of alcohol to the toddlers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭Reputable Rog

This madness about alcohol advertising is coming into effect this week despite Commander Harris never asking the people if they wanted this cr@p. Harris is like a creep from the regime in The Handmaid's Tale trying to turn Ireland into a neo-religious far right society. Of course he will point out to thugs who ruin Halloween for everyone as reasoning behind his anti-alcohol agenda. He will also use the opinions of a doctor who is a member of a cult called the Pioneers of the Sacred Heart or something sounding Gileadean like that.

Will this anti-alcohol agenda stop thugs congregating in our city centres and bullying people, robbing people and slashing people's tyres? No. Will this legislation kill festivals and harm jobs? Yes. Will it save the pubs as some backers of it claim? No. Tougher laws to deal with street nuisances like the recent Halloween carry on is needed. Target these not everyone. We then have The Young Offenders served up as a comedy glamourising little brats who we all have to suffer over with Harris' plans. Used to enjoy The Young Offenders but not when Harris wants to harras us with far right drivel.

What happens if a new school opens within 200 metres of an established alcohol hoarding? I remember in Limerick there was a massive Murphys illuminated sign on the Ballysimon Road, would that sign have to come down if a new school opened within 200 metres?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,902 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

It's an awfully bitter rant for something that will have no discernible effect on anyone but maybe the advertisement industry!

Great use of the governments limited legislative time then. No discernible effect and an obsession with image over substance kinda sums up the present FG.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭DeconSheridan

Shops can still have 50% off offers. Or two for one. This move solves nothing as usual.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭brick tamland

One decent outcome from all this Brexit uncertainty ****e is that this minimum charging wont be coming in anytime soon.

Wont be coming in until same stipid deal us in place up north and that is further away than ever with no end in site.

What happens if a new school opens within 200 metres of an established alcohol hoarding? I remember in Limerick there was a massive Murphys illuminated sign on the Ballysimon Road, would that sign have to come down if a new school opened within 200 metres?

It is stupid, pointless legislation that no one wants, that no one asked for and that solves no problems but could create problems. If someone has it in mind to drink, they will and if they enter a school, the teachers will deal with the problem and the Gardai will deal with any ASB. There is a need to give Gardai and teachers more power to deal with brats and to target ASB. Simon Harris' extremist anti-business killjoy approach is not needed and solves nothing.

One decent outcome from all this Brexit uncertainty ****e is that this minimum charging wont be coming in anytime soon.

Wont be coming in until same stipid deal us in place up north and that is further away than ever with no end in site.

Simon Harris needs to be REMINDED small alcohol firms need to advertise and they create jobs. Having no localised advertising will not make a difference to the likes of Diageo but could be crucial to local craft beer brewers. Ireland is not Saudi Arabia/Taliban or Gilead so Harris needs to stop trying to turn back the clock with oppressive legislation.

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭askU

Anti alcohol laws gaining speed.

Simon Harris needs to be REMINDED small alcohol firms need to advertise and they create jobs. Having no localised advertising will not make a difference to the likes of Diageo but could be crucial to local craft beer brewers. Ireland is not Saudi Arabia/Taliban or Gilead so Harris needs to stop trying to turn back the clock with oppressive legislation.

And how will this legislation stop them from advertising?

askU wrote: »
    Anti alcohol laws gaining speed.

What anti alcohol legislation?

There is no anti-alcohol legislation, alcohol will still be available to buy and sell in the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,798 ✭✭✭goose2005

mikemac2 wrote: »
    You can blame Catholicism for many things but teetolism isn't one of them.

Look to the evangelical Protestants for that

Sure most here were probably a Pioneer at one stage even if it was 12 years old to a older teen. It never stopped anyone from breaking a pledge

Catholics were involved too, like Fr Mathew. However, American prohibitionism was a Protestant imposition, partially aimed at taming the savage Italian/Irish/Polish Catholics. https://ehistory.osu.edu/sites/ehistory.osu.edu/files/mmh/clash/Prohibition/Sub-Narratives/nativismandprohibition.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭machaseh

We don't need a nanny state to control our drinking, nor do we need continuously higher alcohol prices. Higher alcohol pricing is mostly going to affect people who are dependent on alcohol, like alcoholics, by bringing them into even greater financial ruin, in addition it might even encourage illegal smuggling of alcohol (even just popping over to the North could save you hundreds of quid on a trunk full of booze) or even worse illegal production of alcohol in homes (methanol laced poitin anyone?)

What we need is education regarding alcohol use and abuse and strict enforcement of things like driving under influence laws and public misconduct related to alcohol. Let people go to pubs whenever they want, get rid of strict laws regarding alcohol sales (off licenses etc.). It doesn't work anyway.

When my friend visited here, he was like 'why is it so hard to find alcohol in a country that is known for drinking?' We were looking for an off license in an area where it was like 10-15 minutes walk to the nearest one.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

machaseh wrote: »
    When my friend visited here, he was like 'why is it so hard to find alcohol in a country that is known for drinking?' We were looking for an off license in an area where it was like 10-15 minutes walk to the nearest one.
    I think that is part of it. Trying to get rid of that image, but I am also pretty sure that they are going the wrong way about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,749 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

It's ridiculous, but we'll just lie back and take it. So we deserve it really. A simple boycott of pubs for a few days would have this MUP silliness gone immediately, it is being done for the publicans after all, as well as for nanny state reasons.

• Advertisement

Suckit wrote: »
    I think that is part of it. Trying to get rid of that image, but I am also pretty sure that they are going the wrong way about it.

Ireland shouldnt focus on getting rid of the image of a drinking country. It should instead focus on promoting its image regarding other things. And when you think about it what does ireland have going for it other than drinking?

The cuisine is terrible
    Hardly anybody speaks the Irish language
    The weather is terrible
    You'd definitely not visit for the historical city centers because they are nothing compared to what you'd find in continental europe
    It has great traditional sports but most people outside of Ireland don't even know what GAA or hurling is.

The main thing it'd have going for it would be the traditional music and the nice nature, and more could be done to promote ireland based on those things rather than drinking.

Subsidize REAL trad music playing in all pubs, for example, and then I dont mean the kind of fake one you find in Temple Bar, but I mean the kind you'd find in the villages such as Clifden and also in Galway and the like.

And improve access to the beautiful nature sites that Ireland has. Not just by car, but especially by greatly improving bike infrastructure.

For example I took me mate to Inisheer island, we only saw one old man speaking irish with another old woman. All the younger folks (behind the bar in the pub etc.) were having their banter in normal English.

I agree.
    If some politicians are to be believed, they are also coming under pressure from groups similar to and including AA.
    So they have dismissed the thousands of others that don't have issues with alcohol and because we haven't (yet) put pressure on them, they will fire ahead with this nonsense.
    I honestly do not see what putting a minimum price on alcohol is expected to achieve.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

It is a cultural genocide. Drinking is a large part of our culture. They continue to curtail our drinking activities and it will only get worse.

Essentially what they want is for us to be is non drinkers, be vegetarian, cycle everywhere, partake in weekly 5k fun runs, wear flannel, wear glasses, grow beards, and talk about our feeling a lot.

Jog on, lads. Its Ireland, not an American West Coast college campus.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,749 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

We don't say "jog on" in Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭Reputable Rog

https://amp.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/end-of-an-era-as-macrooms-iconic-mural-falls-foul-of-alcohol-law-963622.html

And so it begins, cultural vandalism.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,932 ✭✭✭randomname2005

Perhaps this is going ot apologies mods if it is deemed so, but the quotes at the end of the article make me so angry. They talk about first drinks being given by parents and relatives as a bad thing, surely it is better this than chugging bottles of vodka down the field.
    Also, this talk of alcohol advertising and cost is crap. Go to many European countries where alcohol is cheap and they have few of the problems we have. I lived in a southern European country for a few years, and even during big festivals there would be little if any problems. People would drink but not get stupid drunk. It was frowned upon to get sick or be a d1ck when drunk, not encouraged. We could probably do more to curb alcohol abuse by dealing with drunks, throwing them in the drunk tank for a night, and fining them and discouraging this behavior.
    We changed societies attitude to drink driving, we can do the same with excessive drinking

• Registered Users Posts: 14,268 ✭✭✭✭elperello

This advertising thing has sort of taken me unawares.
    I've been posting on this thread for some years but concentrated on the nonsense that is MUP.
    I must admit I took my eye off the ball with regard to the advertising issues.

Can anyone point to any empirical evidence to stand up the 200m from schools ban?
    Why 200m? Will kids not a affected by hoardings they pass by 300m from the school?

It makes it look like they're doing something useful.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,268 ✭✭✭✭elperello

machaseh wrote: »
    Ireland shouldnt focus on getting rid of the image of a drinking country. It should instead focus on promoting its image regarding other things. And when you think about it what does ireland have going for it other than drinking?

The cuisine is terrible
    Hardly anybody speaks the Irish language
    The weather is terrible
    You'd definitely not visit for the historical city centers because they are nothing compared to what you'd find in continental europe
    It has great traditional sports but most people outside of Ireland don't even know what GAA or hurling is.

The main thing it'd have going for it would be the traditional music and the nice nature, and more could be done to promote ireland based on those things rather than drinking.

Subsidize REAL trad music playing in all pubs, for example, and then I dont mean the kind of fake one you find in Temple Bar, but I mean the kind you'd find in the villages such as Clifden and also in Galway and the like.

And improve access to the beautiful nature sites that Ireland has. Not just by car, but especially by greatly improving bike infrastructure.

You make some interesting points but there's nothing wrong with a few drinks.

This guy Austin Allsup https://www.bandsintown.com/a/370086-austin-allsup
    was on with Miriam O'Callaghan yesterday publicising his bands gig in the Texas Red Dirt Pub Crawl Tour. He was talking about being a bit hungover and drinking and you could almost sense the dismay in the studio. I'm not giving out about Miriam but the whole scene has changed now. Anything that promotes drink is dangerous territory in the media.

I've seen bands like this playing in the US and the carry on makes sessions here look like a garden party.

I'm not uncritically promoting heavy drinking which is obviously bad for you but there are worse things that can befall young people. We have become too po faced and given too much ground to the neo prohibitionists. We are in danger of forgetting how to have the crack.

Footnote:Austin Allsup's dad Tommy Allsup played guitar with Buddy Holly. He flipped a coin with Ritchie Valens to determine who would travel on the plane. He lost and ended up on the bus and you know the rest.

Advertisement