Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Minimum alcohol pricing is nigh

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 840 ✭✭✭The Late Late Show

The representative from the supermarket group actually said something valid: facing into Brexit, especially a hard Brexit, is now really a time to be sending shoppers up north, to holyhead for a day trip or to France for a booze cruise?

Short answer is no. As well as stocking up on booze in Asda in Derry, you know what, I'll do my weekly shop as well. British prices always seem less than ours.

The original plan was to bring in minimum unit pricing in at the same time as Northern Ireland so there wouldn't be an exodus up north. Britain is in chaos, Stormont hasnt sat in a long time, there'll be no legislation passed there any time soon. Like a lot of things our(and many other) governments do, this hasn't been thought out and most likely will make things worse.

Simon Harris is a young man of this generation. He should know better than using and reviving this dangerous cult for the pubs:

https://www.irishexaminer.com/farming/analysis/recruited-as-teenage-spy-by-the-pioneer-total-abstinence-association-369319.html

When will politicians ever stop using dangerous organisations for short-term goals? The Pioneers and their other Catholic allies ran this country for far too long and we had Gilead then with this cult scaring people into not drinking and meanwhile you had Handmaids or Marthas inside those gray drab buildings we were told were 'convents'. I often wonder did Margaret Atwood get inspiration from these Good Shepherd Nuns (A whole bunch of Aunt Lydias).

Of course, the supermarket organisation made sense. The government should do all it can to support our economy and stop listening to killjoy cults. We don't want our version of the Tea Party here and these groups like Alcohol Action Ireland should be IGNORED. Former alcoholics, publicans and religious nutters should not deprive the rest of us.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,926 ✭✭✭mikemac2

You can blame Catholicism for many things but teetolism isn't one of them.

Look to the evangelical Protestants for that

Sure most here were probably a Pioneer at one stage even if it was 12 years old to a older teen. It never stopped anyone from breaking a pledge

• Registered Users Posts: 13,749 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

That Frances Black wagon was heavily involved with pushing for this too due to being a reformed total lush and trying to ruin everyone else's fun

mikemac2 wrote: »
    You can blame Catholicism for many things but teetolism isn't one of them.

Look to the evangelical Protestants for that

Sure most here were probably a Pioneer at one stage even if it was 12 years old to a older teen. It never stopped anyone from breaking a pledge

Nothing wrong with Catholics and Protestants. It is the warped individuals who use these faiths are the problem. Same with Islam, etc. too. A lot of evil people take a religion and use it and add to it with their own agendas. Alcohol is NOT banned by any faith, drunkenness is. Banning or restricting alcohol gives it forbidden fruit status and leads to alcohol abuse. Saudi Arabia, prohibition America, Afghanistan (where alcohol is banned) have/had large drunkenness problems they can't admit. Iran, where alcohol is legal for Christians and Jews and traditional Persians and not for Muslims, has a large drunkenness problem among Islamic Iranians.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,270 ✭✭✭✭elperello

That Frances Black wagon was heavily involved with pushing for this too due to being a reformed total lush and trying to ruin everyone else's fun

In fairness to Senator Black she was never anything more than a regular drinker who got a fit of the vapours and decided to make a second career out of reforming the rest of us.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Many issues would be sorted over night if actual in place laws were implemented.....

I see very young people out getting locked 12 upward and this shouldn't be happening but I shouldn't be paying for this in my 20s or 30s or 40s or 50s and so on.

• Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭rightmove

Many issues would be sorted over night if actual in place laws were implemented.....

I see very young people out getting locked 12 upward and this shouldn't be happening but I shouldn't be paying for this in my 20s or 30s or 40s or 50s and so on.
    Id cards????

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

Simon Harris is a young man of this generation. He should know better than using and reviving this dangerous cult for the pubs:

https://www.irishexaminer.com/farming/analysis/recruited-as-teenage-spy-by-the-pioneer-total-abstinence-association-369319.html

When will politicians ever stop using dangerous organisations for short-term goals? The Pioneers and their other Catholic allies ran this country for far too long and we had Gilead then with this cult scaring people into not drinking and meanwhile you had Handmaids or Marthas inside those gray drab buildings we were told were 'convents'. I often wonder did Margaret Atwood get inspiration from these Good Shepherd Nuns (A whole bunch of Aunt Lydias).

Of course, the supermarket organisation made sense. The government should do all it can to support our economy and stop listening to killjoy cults. We don't want our version of the Tea Party here and these groups like Alcohol Action Ireland should be IGNORED. Former alcoholics, publicans and religious nutters should not deprive the rest of us.

You supping from the sherry bottle writing that, Tubs?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,962 ✭✭✭Mr. teddywinkles

The HSE telling people going to electric picnic if your going to take drugs take them in small amounts. Nearly advocating it but hey drink is the devils nectar. Funny country this lately.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

well it's not even taxation that's the kicker!
    That's what I can't understand if you're gonna bring in MP do it as a tax and use the money to fund alcohol related state issues whether it's the HSE or alcohol treatment programs etc. Why give it to retailers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,107 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

The HSE telling people going to electric picnic if your going to take drugs take them in small amounts. Nearly advocating it but hey drink is the devils nectar. Funny country this lately.

Um no.

It's called harm reduction, people are going to take drugs no matter what the HSE say, so should they do it with no education or should some effort be made to help prevent overdoses?

Infact, I believe festivals should have drug testing tents like in other countries.

How this can be seen as advocating is beyond me!

• Registered Users Posts: 27,905 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

JCX BXC wrote: »
    Um no.
    It's called harm reduction, people are going to take drugs no matter what the HSE say, so should they do it with no education or should some effort be made to help prevent overdoses?
    Infact, I believe festivals should have drug testing tents like in other countries.
    How this can be seen as advocating is beyond me!

People are going to drink no matter what.
    So whats the point of MUP except to benefit pubs?
    The HSE dont have a clue about this.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

odyssey06 wrote: »
    People are going to drink no matter what.
    So whats the point of MUP except to benefit pubs?
    The HSE dont have a clue about this.

I agree fully with you.

I didn't agree with a comment above saying the HSE are advocating illegal drugs.

MUP has been proven to reduce overall consumption.

Reducing consumption leads to better health.

Better health leads to finite resources in the health service being put to better use.

Really basic stuff.

Better health leads to finite resources in the health service being put to better use.

Really basic stuff.

Because it was such a massive success in Scotland?

We have to ask ourselves, when do nanny-state antics go too far? How can we continue imposing restrictions on citizens which have just escaped the grasp of the church?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

Really basic stuff.
    Why not do it properly so. I'll give you some examples.
    My local is open right now. Illegal. Most people in there can't stand up cause they're still out from last night.
    The other pub across the way would have been open until about 4am. Illegal.
    Pubs selling nagins to teenagers underage every weekend. Illegal.
    Serving people until they are about to fall over every day of the week. Illegal. Most people in this country don't understand that's it's against the law to serve alcohol to somebody who is drunk. It's a €1500 fine.
    This is one town in one city in Ireland. Not some backward small village a town of 20000 people.
    If Simon Harris is serious about alcohol issues why doesn't he tap the police minister on the shoulder and say get your guys to tidy up these pubs they're breaking liquor laws left right and centre. Or say to Leo mate the HSE is swamped with drunken fools every weekend we need the cops to step up and control things. A publican in Tip got fined €50 for serving at 3am. Is that really a deterrent? He's made 10 times that staying open.

Really basic stuff.

No it hasnt. None of this has been proven.
    Sales in Scotland or BC changing proves nothing about actual consumption in those regions.
    I am about to fill my boot in Newry. What stats will that show up in.

Finite resources of the HSE would be better served by people dying quicker and earlier, if you want to be brutal about it.

I agree fully with you.

I didn't agree with a comment above saying the HSE are advocating illegal drugs.

Strange though. I cant recall HSE promoting measures to make the measures in place v illegal drugs more effective. Do you? Thats not a rhetorical question.

Strange though. I cant recall HSE promoting measures to make the measures in place v illegal drugs more effective. Do you? Thats not a rhetorical question.

They're not making it more effective by telling people to take small amounts? How are they?

If Simon Harris is serious about alcohol issues why doesn't he tap the police minister on the shoulder and say get your guys to tidy up these pubs they're breaking liquor laws left right and centre. Or say to Leo mate the HSE is swamped with drunken fools every weekend we need the cops to step up and control things. A publican in Tip got fined €50 for serving at 3am. Is that really a deterrent? He's made 10 times that staying open.

Yeah maybe JohnnyFlash can bring it up at the next FG love in over a free bar.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,184 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Really basic stuff.

We should increase the duty on petrol and diesel so it's €5 a litre to reduce car useage and vehicle related deaths.

They're not making it more effective by telling people to take small amounts? How are they?

That is harm reduction. I am talking about measures to reduce availability.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

Yeah maybe JohnnyFlash can bring it up at the next FG love in over a free bar.

He won't be able he will be still as high as a kite.

He won't be able he will be still as high as a kite.

Living rent free inside your head, mate.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭rn

I disagree, the "drinking problems" are myths from the government.
    We should increase the duty on petrol and diesel so it's €5 a litre to reduce car useage and vehicle related deaths.

If we were serious about emissions, we should do that. However paper straws are more in keeping with our lifestyles.

MUP should be brought in to increase the price of lowest, worst quality booze. That will impact high users, as they buy the cheapest.

Really basic stuff.

How come regular drinkers of alcohol live to old age and people who never drank died in their 20s or 30s. Alcohol clearly is not the big threat to health the health fascists claim. Same goes for sugar, salt, tea, coffee, meat, tinned tomatoes, oranges, 'E additives', white bread, dairy produce, etc. that the health fanatics also target. A lot bullsh!t all of it. Believe them and everything is bad for you. They cannot come up with a cure for cancer which is around for years. That is the DISGRACE. They are also CLUELESS to the cause of it.

So, no, reducing alcohol consumption does NOT guarantee better health. What is NEVER said is the way financial worries, mortgages, insurance hikes and other such pressures impact on health. The health minister who can admit this will be good. It is time for him or her to come forward and challenge the grip insurance companies and financial institutions have over the world.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Really basic stuff.

Proven where??

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Really basic stuff.

In Scotland the results are mixed depending on what source you use. Some sources show a reduction, others show an increase. Research in to the effects of MUP or taxation of alcohol does lean toward reduced consumption but there are limited studies, perhaps none at all, that research the impact at household level.

More importantly, studies in to mortality rates and MUP are broadly mixed. Most studies look at consumer price index impacts rather than individual studies which is definitely not ideal.

One thing that most studies that reference is agree is that heavy drinkers are price inelastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,034 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/news/revealed-significant-price-differences-for-alcohol-cigarettes-and-fuel-between-dublin-and-newry-38503207.html

Revealed: Significant price differences for alcohol, cigarettes and fuel between Dublin and Newry

Also it's a real myth that we have cheap alcohol in this country

"Eurostat, found that the level of Irish food and alcohol prices was among the highest in the world.
    The CSO’s latest inflation figures suggest that alcohol prices have risen well ahead of the overall Consumer Price Index, which shows overall annual price rises of only 0.5%."

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/business/irish-food-and-alcohol-prices-among-the-highest-in-the-world-new-research-945679.html

"The lowest price levels were registered in Bulgaria and Romania (both 74 per cent of the EU average) and Hungary (77 per cent), and the highest in Finland (182 per cent), Ireland (177 per cent) and Sweden (152 per cent)."

177% of the EU average is cheap

Not that it will make a difference to Harris and Co

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,920 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

"Revealed - something everyone's already known for years"

The Indo really is a rag.

Life ain't always empty.

Advertisement