Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Virgin Media Broadband - Price Increase - Break Contract

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭deep1

pat1981 wrote: »
    I got vodafone 1gb installed on Monday, leaving vm on the 23rd.
    Wired connection on 2 devices speed test vary 500gb to 800gb and wifi speeds 250ish on our devices. I havent seen the setting for 5ghz on wifi search like vm, must get on to vodafone about this.

Vm did offer me 6 months half price but i wanted 9 so I cancelled. I am very pleased with my decision, works out 37.50 pm for 1 year, even with vm 6 months half price offer was still working out 48 pm for the year.

Did you pay any installation fee?

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭pat1981

deep1 wrote: »
    Did you pay any installation fee?

No installation fee and 14 day cooling off period. So far very happy with service, also like the app which has some nice features.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭kindalen

Will be going with Vodafone myself. Provided the installation is to my liking.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭Mrcaramelchoc

pat1981 wrote: »
    No installation fee and 14 day cooling off period. So far very happy with service, also like the app which has some nice features.

What's the name of the app?there's a few vf apps there.i have the same setup as you

kindalen wrote: »
    Will be going with Vodafone myself. Provided the installation is to my liking.

yeah installation was a big concern for me as my vm router is in the living room beside my tv, while the engineer could have wired the router to the same spot I didn't want cable tacked to my skirting, so the vodafone modem went to my dining room (gable wall) with a wired connection to my computer.

My sky tv works on wifi and I have hd and box sets and on demand etc (I thought this had to be wired to router but no) and my tp link feeds into my router so my cctv works perfectly, everything else on wifi.

• Advertisement

What's the name of the app?there's a few vf apps there.i have the same setup as you

Vodafone gigabox on apple or android

• Registered Users Posts: 2,893 ✭✭✭Poor_old_gill

Is Virgin media the only BB you can get if you dont have a phone line?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭Del Griffith

Is Virgin media the only BB you can get if you dont have a phone line?

You don't need a phone line for any of the fibre BB offerings anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭Brego888

Looking at moving from Virgin to Vodafone for both BB and TV. Don't live in a siro area so assume that'll be fairly basic BB through the phone line. Couple of questions for those in the know.

1) I have never used the phone line in my place since I moved in. There is an eircom phone point in the hall but obviously no dial tone as I don't pay for the line. Do Vodafone set up the line? Do I need to know the line number!!?

2) How is Vodafones TV piped in to their TV box? Phoneline? Cable? Wirelessly from their modem?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,954 ✭✭✭Roberto_gas

Brego888 wrote:
    1) I have never used the phone line in my place since I moved in. There is an eircom phone point in the hall but obviously no dial tone as I don't pay for the line. Do Vodafone set up the line? Do I need to know the line number!!?

They will sort this line out..not sure on tv..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,305 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Brego888 wrote: »
    Looking at moving from Virgin to Vodafone for both BB and TV. Don't live in a siro area so assume that'll be fairly basic BB through the phone line. Couple of questions for those in the know.

2) How is Vodafones TV piped in to their TV box? Phoneline? Cable? Wirelessly from their modem?

TV comes in over the phone line, the TV portion takes away from your bandwidth
    If your 50Mb+ you likely won't notice the difference, if you're sub 20Mb and trying to run multiple devices streaming its not gonna happen

• Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭Brego888

fritzelly wrote: »
    TV comes in over the phone line, the TV portion takes away from your bandwidth
    If your 50Mb+ you likely won't notice the difference, if you're sub 20Mb and trying to run multiple devices streaming its not gonna happen

So if TV comes through the phone line then that's gonna be a problem given the phone point is in the hall? Unless I start running line around skirting boards and door frames.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,305 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Brego888 wrote: »
    So if TV comes through the phone line then that's gonna be a problem given the phone point is in the hall? Unless I start running line around skirting boards and door frames.

Can pipe it thu your power sockets if need be

• Registered Users Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭irishgeo

fritzelly wrote: »
    Can pipe it thu your power sockets if need be

Which again causes speed issues despite what the plug makers promise on the boxes.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,391 ✭✭✭jozi

You don't need a phone line for any of the fibre BB offerings anymore.

Does this mean Vodafone will use the same wires as VM? They just replace the model/router and thats it sorted?

I'm asking because we live in an apartment and I'm not sure what connections we have coming into the place. Rather not have them drilling holes and what not when were just renting

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭LillySV

I was never contacted about my broadband goin up... is it going up for all virgin customers ?

jozi wrote: »
    Does this mean Vodafone will use the same wires as VM? They just replace the model/router and thats it sorted?

I'm asking because we live in an apartment and I'm not sure what connections we have coming into the place. Rather not have them drilling holes and what not when were just renting

No they can't use VM cables. You'll need the landlords permission. Secondly VM could have an exclusive rights in the building. You need to clarify all of this because the broadband companies won't do it for you.

LillySV wrote: »
    I was never contacted about my broadband goin up... is it going up for all virgin customers ?

Not all. It depends when you signed up. I was told it was because I was on a legacy plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,391 ✭✭✭jozi

irishgeo wrote: »
    No they can't use VM cables. You'll need the landlords permission. Secondly VM could have an exclusive rights in the building. You need to clarify all of this because the broadband companies won't do it for you.

Thats probably the only thing thats going to prevent us from changing providers. I haven't called Vodafone yet but I intend to clarify these things before calling VM to cancel or bargain.

Virgin media equipment all ready for collection.

• Advertisement

Virgin media equipment all ready for collection.

I did not even had to send it back

I did not even had to send it back

Well they said they would be collecting it?

Well they said they would be collecting it?

I was told on WhatsApp to dump it on my own at recycling station

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭absolutegroove

I’m planning on leaving VM due to the price increase but I’m unsure whether to go with Sky, Vodafone or Pure Telecom?

Dublin 7 area if anyone can comment on Sky, Vodafone or Pure Telecom for BB?

• Administrators Posts: 53,439 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

jozi wrote: »
    Thats probably the only thing thats going to prevent us from changing providers. I haven't called Vodafone yet but I intend to clarify these things before calling VM to cancel or bargain.

If you live in an apartment and don't have a phone line (a traditional phone line, not the VM one) then you will not be able to change providers.

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭bonjurkes

BB or Fiber providers would show how much speed they offer for your area, so by typing your eircode you can see if you can actually get the service from that provider. After that you can ask to Vodafone's live chat about the maximum speed you can get with your current line. Because some old lines are speed capped (or whatever is the technical term) so an engineer needs to come to your place to arrange you a new line. ISP can offer 100 Mb but if your line is capped at 12 Mb (like mine) you can't even reach the maximum speed.

If you don't have VM or UPC box at your home then you will need a phone line (socket on wall) to get BB internet. If you have only one of these then you need to choose between VM or internet over phone line.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭brophs

We put in our cancellation a few weeks back and are wondering whether to pull the trigger on moving to Vodafone - which we don’t mind doing, tbh - or are we likely to get a half decent offer before our contract expires next weekend. Are many people who have cancelled getting calls or is the contract likely to be allowed to lapse?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭chases0102

Has everyone received a price increase? I haven't!

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭twam2008

chases0102 wrote: »
    Has everyone received a price increase? I haven't!

The price of your broadband is going up in 2020

From 1st January 2020 the price of your broadband will increase by €3.50 a month.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭chases0102

twam2008 wrote: »
    The price of your broadband is going up in 2020

From 1st January 2020 the price of your broadband will increase by €3.50 a month.

Cheers - I personally haven't received any notice of this however?

Advertisement