Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How do people live off low wages?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭Homelander

Geuze wrote: »
    Surely a qualified person, after an apprenticeship, with a few years experience, could earn more than 30k???

Doesn't shock me. Don't know what field, but I know in mine, I had to do a Masters to get in, only to find out that the ceiling in the position was around 32K regardless of performance or ability. I just left and pursued another field, life is too short.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,119 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Homelander wrote: »
    Doesn't shock me. Don't know what field, but I know in mine, I had to do a Masters to get in, only to find out that the ceiling in the position was around 32K regardless of performance or ability. I just left and pursued another field, life is too short.

Very odd.

You have to have a level 9 degree?

And the max is 32k?????

Unusual.

A lecturer in an IoT has to have a Masters, max is 85k.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭Garzard

Geuze wrote: »
    Surely a qualified person, after an apprenticeship, with a few years experience, could earn more than 30k???

I'm training to be an accounting technician, similar in role to a junior accountant. Average salary according to Payscale is €19k - €37k for the former and €17k - €30k for the latter. Seems to completely depend on the website and company you read from though, they're all different.

I know from several colleagues who'd be classed as Accounts Assistants in my place in their 30's and who've done full degrees and several diplomas, none of them are above €30k, even the experienced ones who've been doing it years. By the looks of it on Payscale, only in the management end of things in accounting does it start to get well paid and competitive with the OP's field.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Pac1Man wrote: »
    People are different though. Different sizes, metabolism, age etc. It's like comparing two car owners, one with a Focus diesel and one with a 5l V8 and the Focus owner advising on where they can save fuel.

I eat like a horse, about 60 - 70 in Lidl per week. I would waste away to nothing on 20 per week. But I'm also 6' 2"...

Food is one thing I would never skimp on. It's your vehicle for life. Fuel it properly.

small but valid point; on a low income there is no way to spend 60-70 on food a week. You would have to find ways as we all do. Not a ? of choice...

• Registered Users Posts: 19,788 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Garzard wrote: »
    I'm training to be an accounting technician, similar in role to a junior accountant. Average salary according to Payscale is €19k - €37k for the former and €17k - €30k for the latter. Seems to completely depend on the website and company you read from though, they're all different.

I know from several colleagues who'd be classed as Accounts Assistants in my place in their 30's and who've done full degrees and several diplomas, none of them are above €30k, even the experienced ones who've been doing it years. By the looks of it on Payscale, only in the management end of things in accounting does it start to get well paid and competitive with the OP's field.

accountancy, im sure like IT is a broad spectrum.

You have the top grads joining big 4 firms from university, starting on 25k but rising to 55k or so by the end of their 3 year training contract and taking their first job in industry at 70k+. The best of these will be making 100k + within 5 years. you get two of these together as a couple and thats a nice household income (for a few years at least until you have kids etc).

But thats the top of the pyramid.

You also have people who do accounting technician exams in industry, then maybe go and do the full qualification, but that can take 7/8 years + and you are on much lower pay. Its rare for people who take this route to ever catch up with the cohort above.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭Lewis_Benson

I don't mean to offend people, but I'm wondering how people live off low wages (20/30K), buying houses, raising families. It seems impossible to me.

I'm 23, I make 32K as a software engineer, but I live with my parents so I can save a good chunk of money every month. I realize I'm lucky and I'll probably be on 50-70K in 2/3 years, but for people who won't get great raises, how do you live (especially in Dublin)

Loans and debt.

I take it you don't eat meat?

Meat isn't expensive. You can buy a large chicken in Lidl for 4 euro. Would last a single person 5 days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭BDI

Meat isn't expensive. You can buy a large chicken in Lidl for 4 euro. Would last a single person 5 days.

If a chicken can last you 5 days maybe that’s why you are single.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

BDI wrote: »
    Or he's not a fatty?

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭Lillyfae

Cyrus wrote: »
    You also have people who do accounting technician exams in industry, then maybe go and do the full qualification, but that can take 7/8 years + and you are on much lower pay. Its rare for people who take this route to ever catch up with the cohort above.

Can also do professional certification like lean management, MBAs etc on the side which greatly increases your salary.

• Advertisement

Mon - Breast
    Tue - Leg
    Wed -Breast
    Thur - Leg
    Fri- other bits with sauce of choice for taste.

Not sure about food but that's what I call a reasonably good sex life.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Antares35

I do a weekly shop for myself and very rarely spend more than 35 euros in total. I shop at Aldi or Lidl, look out for special offers and bargains and have a basic 'staple' shop of the same things each week (loaf of brown bread, milk, cheese, spuds, etc.) and then get a few different things so I don't get bored. I eat very well, almost always get my five fruit and veg every day and buy plenty of nice things like parmesan (one block lasts me almost a month), have a nice coffee every day before work (Italian moka pot bought for 3 euros in a charity shop with nice coffee and frothed milk...works out at pennies per cup) and a few nice treats/snacks (chocolate, kettle crisps, whatever).

I in no way feel like I am depriving myself. I have in the past been forced to live off much, much less for food. There were plenty of times in my twenties and even early thirties, when I was earning sh1t money and desperately poor, that I'd end up eating spaghetti aglio e olio (just spaghetti, garlic and maybe cheese) several times a week and value baked beans on cheap white toast the other days. Now I can make lovely dinners and decent packed lunches for work and never spend over 40 euros a week at the very, very most, and I can often include a decent bottle of wine in that.

I am constantly blown away at how much other people just throw away on food without even batting an eyelid. People who are constantly moaning about how broke they are turning up at work every single day with a Starbucks latte and pastry, then out to buy a sandwich from O'Briens for lunch and another takeaway coffee, picking up ready made mashed potato and overpriced meat from expensive small shops on the way home. A lot of people my age seem to feel entitled to total convenience and feel put out by having to make any kind of an effort to learn basic cooking skills or put a packed lunch together. Fair enough to live like this if you can afford it, but a lot of people can't and don't seem to be able to see any other way. Just look at all the people on this thread thinking it's normal for a family to spend 1000 euros a month on food. It's completely insane.

I'm not saying there aren't people who are truly on the breadline and can't cut back, but even on 21K and working ridiculous hours, I was managing an alright lifestyle. I work with people on about 28K and living at home rent-free who tell me they can't afford a weekend away in Europe, which is totally ridiculous. I can have a decent weekend away with the difference in what I spend on food/coffee and what they spend, but people refuse to believe it. 35 euro a week on food/coffee vs about 100 euro is hundreds of euro saved in just one month. I went to Madrid last month to see a friend, had an amazing time, went to a show, museums, had amazing food and wine, met interesting people...I certainly don't see it as a hardship that I went without Starbucks for a month and took packed lunches to work to be able to do that.

I really could do with some tips from you! Food is generally my biggest spend and I simply cannot figure out how to get it down. I will try doing a "big shop" to get in stuff that can be used in meal planning over 10 days so I can avoid the shops in between - I end up with food wastage. If I do little "as I need "shops I spend a fortune. I rarely buy pre-packed/ ready made stuff - it's like the dark arts I just cannot get it right :D

I hear you on people spending stupid money. Here's my mother constantly beating her pensioner drum and telling me at every opportunity how broke she is, yet she will refuse to shop at Lidl or Aldi, preferring instead to gift 250 quid to Dunnes Stores each week for overpriced "goodies" for the 40 year old man child living in their attic - frozen pizzas, cans of soft drinks, dessert yoghurts, litres and litres of milk to go with the boxes and boxes of sugary breakfast cereals. Doesn't matter how much I tell her Lidl and Aldi are cheaper (oh and kick your loser son out), she still parts with the guts of a grand each month to feed 3 people :rolleyes: Idiot.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,390 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

If you only have yourself to consider, you are organised and a good cook you would be grand, food is cheap in Ireland you can get two steaks for 5.29 euros in Lidil. I like Mexican food a tin of black beans and few other bits and pieces makes a cheap and very tasty meal.

Clothes are cheap in Pennys or Dunnes.

The big issue on a tight budget is housing yourself you would find it hard to live in Dublin.

The big difference between living on very little money verse having money is : When you have to budget everything has to be planned for there is no room for an impulse buy, even spending 2.80 on a coffee has to be considered so while you would be fine, eating well and dressing yourself some people do get weary of always having to budged, plan and never having he wiggle room to change that.

After housing yourself having children is a huge expense.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,806 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

And you would be spending the Money you saved on Doctors bills and anti scour meds.
    Fcuk that.lifes too short to be picking at a chicken carcass for 5 straight days like a mouse.
    If you seen where them 4 euro broliers are reared you wouldn’t be eating them 5 days a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,385 ✭✭✭lainey_d_123

Or maybe you just overeat? Try looking up the portion size you're actually supposed to be eating. A chicken should last a single adult for 5 meals, no bother. All the breast could go in a curry along with a load of veg, which is 2-3 meals. Thighs can be roasted and eaten with spuds and veg, the rest of it can go into a casserole, soup or stew.

Unless you're doing some serious sports training, you don't need to be eating half a chicken every day.

mariaalice wrote: »
    If you only have yourself to consider, you are organised and a good cook you would be grand, food is cheap in Ireland you can get two steaks for 5.29 euros in Lidil. I like Mexican food a tin of black beans and few other bits and pieces makes a cheap and very tasty meal.

Clothes are cheap in Pennys or Dunnes.

The big issue on a tight budget is housing yourself you would find it hard to live in Dublin.

The big difference between living on very little money verse having money is : When you have to budget everything has to be planned for there is no room for an impulse buy, even spending 2.80 on a coffee has to be considered so while you would be fine, eating well and dressing yourself some people do get weary of always having to budged, plan and never having he wiggle room to change that.

It does become second nature after a while; a new skill! So you can have a treat occasionally. I used to get a machine coffee on my shopping over the water day and I really enjoyed that. You can create a little wiggle room when you have become skilful ….I now send a list in to supervalu by email via their website and that helps greatly.
    But those who are new to it must find it hard.

And you would be spending the Money you saved on Doctors bills and anti scour meds.
    Fcuk that.lifes too short to be picking at a chicken carcass for 5 straight days like a mouse.
    If you seen where them 4 euro broliers are reared you wouldn’t be eating them 5 days a week.

When I used to buy a whole chicken, yes, five days. Sunday hot roast... Monday cold roast...Tuesday sandwiches... Wednesday chicken stew. Thursday soup.

Kept in the fridge of course. Never a problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,385 ✭✭✭lainey_d_123

Antares35 wrote: »
    I really could do with some tips from you! Food is generally my biggest spend and I simply cannot figure out how to get it down. I will try doing a "big shop" to get in stuff that can be used in meal planning over 10 days so I can avoid the shops in between - I end up with food wastage. If I do little "as I need "shops I spend a fortune. I rarely buy pre-packed/ ready made stuff - it's like the dark arts I just cannot get it right :D

I hear you on people spending stupid money. Here's my mother constantly beating her pensioner drum and telling me at every opportunity how broke she is, yet she will refuse to shop at Lidl or Aldi, preferring instead to gift 250 quid to Dunnes Stores each week for overpriced "goodies" for the 40 year old man child living in their attic - frozen pizzas, cans of soft drinks, dessert yoghurts, litres and litres of milk to go with the boxes and boxes of sugary breakfast cereals. Doesn't matter how much I tell her Lidl and Aldi are cheaper (oh and kick your loser son out), she still parts with the guts of a grand each month to feed 3 people :rolleyes: Idiot.

I've gotten pretty good at making my grocery budget stretch really far out of pure necessity. When you have 15 euros a week to spend in the supermarket, you really get creative with meal planning. I'm doing a lot better now but still try to keep my food budget down out of habit and also because buying jars of pasta sauce, processed food, etc. isn't very healthy.

I usually do a 'big shop' once a week and find that's generally often enough that food isn't going off before I get to use it. I try to meal plan so that the short date stuff gets used first and make good use of my freezer (frozen veg is brilliant because you can just use what you need, no wastage, and it's almost as healthy as fresh). I also usually have a loaf of wholemeal bread in the freezer so I can make toast without worrying about the bread going off halfway through the week. I try to make meat stretch a few days for financial, time and health reasons - if I buy a pack of 2 chicken breasts, I might use one in a noodle stir fry on the Monday with loads of veg and then the other in a curry with loads of veg and rice, which then lasts me 2 days. I usually have 1-2 meat-free meals each week (often pasta with loads of veg and homemade tomato sauce, a filling minestrone soup with crusty fresh bread, vegetarian pie of some sort with spuds and 2 veg) and then usually some other kind of meat for the remaining days (500g of mince does me for several portions of spag bol or cottage pie).

I usually stick to sandwiches for work lunches because they're quick and easy, and have them with an apple and banana, but if I feel like something hot, I sometimes make 'ramen' in a tupperware thing using a block of noodles, chicken stock cube, various bits of veg and any leftover chicken. I usually just drink water with meals and never buy fizzy drinks or other expensive, unhealthy stuff. I make almost all my own coffee at home and usually just stick to instant in the office (the Azera one is alright), or make tea. Breakfast can really add up if you get it out at Starbucks or something, so I almost always have a bowl of porridge or cereal at home before I leave in the morning.

I find it's just about getting into the mindset of sticking to a budget and planning. That reduces the temptation to nip into Centra or grab a takeaway on the way home. I do have the odd chipper meal, takeaway or ready meal, but only when I'm really genuinely too exhausted to cook. Any time I do start to slip up and start buying the Starbucks and the expensive pre-prepared meals, it generally just takes a glance at my bank statement to shock me back into staying on track. Every euro I spend on lattes and Dolmio sauce is a euro I don't have to do something I really want to do, whether that's a city break or seeing a play in the theatre or whatever.

Hope that was somewhat helpful!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,788 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

I've gotten pretty good at making my grocery budget stretch really far out of pure necessity. When you have 15 euros a week to spend in the supermarket, you really get creative with meal planning. I'm doing a lot better now but still try to keep my food budget down out of habit and also because buying jars of pasta sauce, processed food, etc. isn't very healthy.

I usually do a 'big shop' once a week and find that's generally often enough that food isn't going off before I get to use it. I try to meal plan so that the short date stuff gets used first and make good use of my freezer (frozen veg is brilliant because you can just use what you need, no wastage, and it's almost as healthy as fresh). I also usually have a loaf of wholemeal bread in the freezer so I can make toast without worrying about the bread going off halfway through the week. I try to make meat stretch a few days for financial, time and health reasons - if I buy a pack of 2 chicken breasts, I might use one in a noodle stir fry on the Monday with loads of veg and then the other in a curry with loads of veg and rice, which then lasts me 2 days. I usually have 1-2 meat-free meals each week (often pasta with loads of veg and homemade tomato sauce, a filling minestrone soup with crusty fresh bread, vegetarian pie of some sort with spuds and 2 veg) and then usually some other kind of meat for the remaining days (500g of mince does me for several portions of spag bol or cottage pie).

I usually stick to sandwiches for work lunches because they're quick and easy, and have them with an apple and banana, but if I feel like something hot, I sometimes make 'ramen' in a tupperware thing using a block of noodles, chicken stock cube, various bits of veg and any leftover chicken. I usually just drink water with meals and never buy fizzy drinks or other expensive, unhealthy stuff. I make almost all my own coffee at home and usually just stick to instant in the office (the Azera one is alright), or make tea. Breakfast can really add up if you get it out at Starbucks or something, so I almost always have a bowl of porridge or cereal at home before I leave in the morning.

I find it's just about getting into the mindset of sticking to a budget and planning. That reduces the temptation to nip into Centra or grab a takeaway on the way home. I do have the odd chipper meal, takeaway or ready meal, but only when I'm really genuinely too exhausted to cook. Any time I do start to slip up and start buying the Starbucks and the expensive pre-prepared meals, it generally just takes a glance at my bank statement to shock me back into staying on track. Every euro I spend on lattes and Dolmio sauce is a euro I don't have to do something I really want to do, whether that's a city break or seeing a play in the theatre or whatever.

Hope that was somewhat helpful!

fair play to you, the majority of people, myself included, waste a lot of money on food.

There is an art in this! All the main shops have excellent web sites listing their special offers that week. My time over in town was always so limited I would study and list my needs the night before.

So you can see ahead and plan ahead.

Now I get groceries delivered every two weeks so planning is essential. The only shop I can access is supervalu and they have a really excellent web site. Avoids impulse buying.

For you a week is probably easier. Overbuying fresh foods is a danger.

A list is vital.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

Stick with the as you need shops, and don’t shop when you’re hungry.

• Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭Gazzmonkey

Everybody in the country is studying computer stuff. In five years the qualifications will be as common as an Eastern European building site worker.

If computers havnt already started making their own computer stuff it’ll be a 40 grand a year job at best.

I know taxi men studying programming degrees part time. Love it they do.

They probably are, but most wont make it to the end. I remember back in uni first year numbers were huge, but by the time we got to final year the numbers were very small.

So I doubt there will be a surplus of technical IT skills as most cant hack it at enterprise level.

In the company I work in we cant fill our vacant developer roles as no one seems to know Go & Glu very well at all.

Life may very well be too short for you my friend, sat at your table wiping the grease of a full chicken off your chin like Henry VIII.

Eating huge lumps of food at every sitting is a relatively new thing for our species. We're not really built for it. Hence all the fat people with fat person health problems. People feel a need to guzzle down food like a truck guzzles fuel. Cut down the portions and your body will tick along like a well tuned Ferrari.

• Registered Users Posts: 877 ✭✭✭_Godot_

I'm on disability, I spend about 50 a week for food for two people, pay the bills, and unexpected expenses like plumbers when needed. It's tough, but gotta be done.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Fr_Dougal wrote: »
    Stick with the as you need shops, and don’t shop when you’re hungry.

When younger, I used to do my groceries when I needed to go to the toilet. No lingering about when you've got to go and if you missed anything, it really wasnt all that important!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

When younger, I used to do my groceries when I needed to go to the toilet. No lingering about when you've got to go and if you missed anything, it really wasnt all that important!
    :D Genius. If I had a hat D, I'd tip it.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 8,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fluorescence

God, it's hard, isn't it? Reading some of the posts here from people in industries where earning €50k+ a few years out of uni is only "alright"... It's kind of shocking to be honest. I spent 4 years at uni for training directly related to my career, I'm doing a master's degree as well now part time, I have annual professional fees and continuing professional development to pay for yearly to keep on top of changes in the industry. The money in Ireland was so low that I ended up moving to the UK, where the wages are similar but cost of living is much lower. I still have all these fees to pay, and recently got a new role that pays £25k, which is extremely good for the industry. Nearly top end of my earning potential. It's a 5k increase on my last position, which was also considered decent for the industry. Unless I go into education, which doesn't interest me, this may well be the most I'll ever earn in my career. Which is a shame, because I absolutely love my job and can't see myself doing anything else.

And it's tough. Food is more expensive in the UK in my experience, but housing is vastly cheaper. I pay less than a 4th in rent of what an equivalent property in Dublin would cost. I batch cook meals on the cheap and am frugal where I can be, but there never seems to be any money left at the end of the month. I don't have many expenses, I don't go out much (maybe once every other month for a few drinks, nothing mad), I don't run a fancy car or buy expensive makeup palettes. I'm just so tired of being so broke all the time.

There's probably things that a financial advisor would flag on my expenditure that I could cut back on, but by god if ya can't comfortably afford one take away a week, is life even worth living?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,548 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

Just on the cottage pie thing... if you're finding that you have made too much mashed potatoes, or too much mince, or even if you have spuds left over that are starting to sprout, freeze them (in the case of the sprouting spuds, cook and mash them first) and when you have enough, make a cottage pie. Bolognese actually works good in a pie.

That's grand until some aul biddy at the front of the queue decides she wants to pay for her entire weeks shopping in 20 and 50 cent coins, which she didn't have the foresight to count out before she left the house. It's normally when you've got pains in your stomach that the aforementioned lady turns out to be crabbit and contrary, and spends ten minutes berating the people on the till for trying to help, before then counting out each coin individually (with the odd coin held up and squinted at to check if it's a ten or a twenty).*

*I used to work in a shop and this happened more than I'd care to admit.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭dartboardio

IT isn't in decline and cannot see that happening anytime soon either, if you're good you're good.

My uncle is a software developer and only gone. 31, on 85k+

Digital media production seems to be a niche enough market and something I'm looking to get into, not exactly sure of the average salaries at the moment though?

I'm only 21 and still live at home, work full time as I'm taking a couple of years out and returning to college next year tho.
    In regards to living, I'm awful with money to be honest, and find myself allergic to it. Not like we had loads growing up or anything, but always had support or something to fall back on, so feel I was never taught the true value of money, or indeed, saving.

My mum is the same where I guess it comes from. I hate wasting food but we do end up wasting a bit each week (salad bits, coleslaw etc, I Hate wasting bread though!)

Id like to think when I return to college ill be a different type of student alltogether, I love to cook, so it'll be (hopefully) lovely meals from scratch each night :V we do not buy any freezer food, just fresh, but then freeze.

Always buy the ingredients rather than the tub or whatever, like for carbonara, eggs, cheese instead of a €3 dolmio carbonara sauce (cooking fresh is nicer anyway!)

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 350 ✭✭Biodegradable

They buy alcohol, cigarettes and scratch cards!

Advertisement