Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How do people live off low wages?

Options
  • 04-11-2019 10:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭

I don't mean to offend people, but I'm wondering how people live off low wages (20/30K), buying houses, raising families. It seems impossible to me.

I'm 23, I make 32K as a software engineer, but I live with my parents so I can save a good chunk of money every month. I realize I'm lucky and I'll probably be on 50-70K in 2/3 years, but for people who won't get great raises, how do you live (especially in Dublin)

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

You need to get involved in more crime like everyone else does.

Either that or start your own left-wing movement and revolutionise everyone, it's just not fair, all the rich people are bastards and it is all their fault. I will vote for ye.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,772 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

IAMAMORON wrote: »
    You need to get involved in more crime like everyone else does.

Either that or start your own left-wing movement and revolutionise everyone, it's just not fair, all the rich people are bastards and it is all their fault. I will vote for ye.

Nice view of the world from inside your head.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭BDI

Everybody in the country is studying computer stuff. In five years the qualifications will be as common as an Eastern European building site worker.

If computers havnt already started making their own computer stuff it’ll be a 40 grand a year job at best.

I know taxi men studying programming degrees part time. Love it they do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 mydingaling2

Don’t bother work and get pregnant as soon as possible to get a free house.

Live off the benefits then. You’ll also be able to reject houses till you get one you like.

It’s a great little country. You can secretly have a partner living there as well.

As easy as that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 667 ✭✭✭lola85

On low wages you qualify for a lot of benefits including HAP which will pay up to 1800 euro a month towards your rent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭antimatterx

BDI wrote: »
    Everybody in the country is studying computer stuff. In five years the qualifications will be as common as an Eastern European building site worker.

If computers havnt already started making their own computer stuff it’ll be a 40 grand a year job at best.

Loads of people study it, a small percent end up working as developers. The skills gap is growing year on year.

10/50 that graduated with me are working as devs, it's a common trend among other courses.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,413 ✭✭✭weemcd

Necessity is the mother of invention.

You'll live unbelievably cheaply if you have to. That becomes problematic when you have dependants who rely on you though.

I'm in the same wage bracket as you and live renting with one other person, rent is cheap, relatively speaking. I can make myself cheap meals and walk everywhere, within reason. I'm by no means rich, but reasonably comfortable. I don't own many flashy things, I've a decent laptop I paid off monthly, and a reasonably up to date phone on contract. I have a car but don't spend much on fuel and it's cheap to run.

I'll point out I live in South Belfast where living costs, mainly rent, would be a fraction of Dublin prices.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭sasta le

As the uptake of studying gone up a lot,I ask as someone in the hospitality trade that wants a change

Theres currently 1600 jobs on daft.ie looking for people in IT. Just studying IT whether databases, programming, hardware does not automatically make you good at it.

It’s a life long commitment with non stop learning including your spare time, A lot of people can’t hack it.

Studying a degree in programming does not automatically make you a programmer

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭BuboBubo

I don't mean to offend people, but I'm wondering how people live off low wages (20/30K), buying houses, raising families. It seems impossible to me.

I'm 23, I make 32K as a software engineer, but I live with my parents so I can save a good chunk of money every month. I realize I'm lucky and I'll probably be on 50-70K in 2/3 years, but for people who won't get great raises, how do you live (especially in Dublin)

Lots of families are entitled to an income supplement if they are living on low wages. Careful planning and budgeting helps when it comes to low incomes.

• Advertisement

Loads of people study it, a small percent end up working as developers. The skills gap is growing year on year.

10/50 that graduated with me are working as devs, it's a common trend among other courses.

So young chap, there are 4 people willing to do every one job that comes on the market. Think about that. What happens when there are 4 qualified road sweepers and the boss needs one. Does he offer top rates? Extra holidays? Bank holidays optional?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭Still waters

Give it time, the new minimum wage job will be all things computer, every clown and his brother is studying I.T.

Now gerra from the rough estate over the road can do a website for you for a few euro into the hand.

Kids are making apps

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭major bill

70k In 2 or 3 years ya gotta love the young wans!! Not a hope unless you are **** hot and work for a decent company might take ya bit longer to get up the wage ladder to what you expect!

So young chap, there are 4 people willing to do every one job that comes on the market. Think about that. What happens when there are 4 qualified road sweepers and the boss needs one. Does he offer top rates? Extra holidays? Bank holidays optional?

1600 jobs and so many variations in IT. Do you think all IT jobs are the same and everyone is a programmer?

Theres:
    Programming( c, c++, Java, PHP to name a few)
    Databases
    Hardware
    Networking
    Security
    Windows server administration
    Liniux administraton
    VMware engineer
    Cloud computing engineer
    Data centre engineer
    Desktop support
    SCCM Enginner
    Help desk roles

Along with many many more areas. Not everyone is cut out to a programmer where the highest wages are.

People end up in the area that they like best and do certs in their spare time to upskill. Really your embarrassing yourself.

The two tech companies I have worked for struggle to find people. There are not 4 people for every dev job in Ireland, there's not even a 1:1 person to job ratio for devs in this country

• Closed Accounts Posts: 587 ✭✭✭Redneck Reject

You learn to live within your means. My mother cleaned offices during the day and worked part-time at a cantina. In order to keep the lights on and food on the table. And we had a great childhood despite the struggles.

Now people think and demand a certain quality of life without making an effort to contribute to it.

1600 jobs and so many variations in IT. Do you think all IT jobs are the same and everyone is a programmer?

Theres:
    Programming( c, c++, Java, PHP to name a few)
    Databases
    Hardware
    Networking
    Security
    Windows server administration
    Liniux administraton
    VMware engineer
    Cloud computing engineer
    Data centre engineer
    Desktop support
    SCCM Enginner
    Help desk roles

Along with many many more areas. Not everyone is cut out to a programmer where the highest wages are.

People end up in the area that they like best and do certs in their spare time to upskill. Really your embarrassing yourself.

You’re

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

The two tech companies I have worked for struggle to find people. There are not 4 people for every dev job in Ireland, there's not even a 1:1 person to job ratio for devs in this country

There's an elasticity in supply and demand. A labour shortage in a skill does not equate to guaranteed high salaries that don't reflect the worth of the employee's input to the bottom line.

You’re

Would you like any more confirmation on IT and how it is booming? And always will be?

Your lack of knowledge on it is quite outstanding.

Are you jealous of people earning massive wages in IT? And in stable work for life?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭Andrew00

For young lads nowadays would an apprenticeship be the right thing to do if they're interested in that?

Would you like any more confirmation on IT and how it is booming? And always will be?

Your lack of knowledge on it is quite outstanding.

Are you jealous of people earning massive wages in IT? And in stable work for life?

I do ok, thanks, I don’t go around shouting about it.

Supply and demand, economics, I did it as part as my college back in the day, ended up a plumber, then providing full mechanical installations at hotels and offices.
    Could probably afford a 3000 a month little apartment just off sheriff street if I needed to.
    I own property in a sought after area.

You just seem angry and boastful that you finished college.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,181 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

Are the wages really that good?

I know loads of people in IT and many would be getting around what the OP is getting. Fellas on 50 and 70k a year are few and far between

I know loads of people in IT and many would be getting around what the OP is getting. Fellas on 50 and 70k a year are few and far between

IT and Software Engineering are fierce difference.

Money is really that good. Once you are good that is.

Theres currently 1600 jobs on daft.ie looking for people in IT. Just studying IT whether databases, programming, hardware does not automatically make you good at it.

It’s a life long commitment with non stop learning including your spare time, A lot of people can’t hack it.

Studying a degree in programming does not automatically make you a programmer

Just pointing out you couldn’t be more wrong to be honest.

IT and Software Engineering are fierce difference.

Money is really that good. Once you are good that is.

How do you know that? People spoofing to you?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Yes, big American companies bring new grads in on ridiculous salaries that the rest of us have to try offer something extra to compete with because we can't offer 40k+ to 22 year olds who are just out of college or all the bells and whistles of Facebook/Google

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

<html>
    <header>
    <title>This is title</title>
    </header>
    <body>
    Hello world
    </body>
    </html>

Can I have the monee nao?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 456 ✭✭Tired Gardener

Frugally, careful budgeting, and learning to know what you actually need.

Also I think living outside the cities really helps, as the rent prices drop drastically, sure the transport network leaves a lot to be desired.

Also it is surprising how quickly you can adjust, and soon realise just how far your money can go. Plenty of things that people spend money on that are frivolous, being frugal makes sense even if money isn't an issue. I was on good whack previously, and wasted a lot of it, now I'm on a lot less, but have a much better appreciation for money, and also a better quality of life.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,371 ✭✭✭Westernyelp

Fann Linn wrote:
    Nice view of the world from inside your head.

In fairness. Poster declares their situation in their username. Proper transparency. Good to see.

Advertisement