Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How do people live off low wages?

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭nthclare

The app didn't just appear by magic, a team of people spent time developing it. Automation is definitely a thing, but it doesn't mean IT jobs will disappear, probably the opposite.

Well the people who the app makes disappear will have to adapt to something else.
    Hopefully.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

• Registered Users Posts: 19,791 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    Yawn

sorry i probably wasnt clear, i dont mean they have the same legitimate grievances but we appear to have made the same mistakes with treating them as a cohort, with the same results.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

The centre was the largest construction project in Ireland at one point, with construction beginning in April 2016. Up to 1,550 worked on the site construction per day, but today there are 300 people working on site supporting day-to-day operations at the data centre.

think actual IT engineer number is only around 100, for general monitoring swapping hdds rest is pretty much plug and play, just one of bigger examples.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 Fingerbang2

nthclare wrote: »
    Well the people who the app makes disappear will have to adapt to something else.
    Hopefully.

Even if programming went down the drain which it will not there’s still 30 or more different areas of IT that you can work in.

These people can go off a be system administrator or Cisco engineer etc with a bit of study along with all the other areas.

Heck if the programming language they are currently working in goes south they can learn a different programming language.

I love how jealous people are of people working in IT.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,503 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

scamalert wrote: »
    The centre was the largest construction project in Ireland at one point, with construction beginning in April 2016. Up to 1,550 worked on the site construction per day, but today there are 300 people working on site supporting day-to-day operations at the data centre.

think actual IT engineer number is only around 100, for general monitoring swapping hdds rest is pretty much plug and play, just one of bigger examples.

Why are you quoting me?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

removed you, just gave real example of automation vs workforce needed. but that aside see people ignore topic completely and go on a rant about travelers and other ****e which isn't relevant to situation op mentioned he is, vs someone who would need to rent in Dublin and support themselves on same wages would find it quite difficult and most likely wouldn't, raise such ridicilous questions.

Even if programming went down the drain which it will not there’s still 30 or more different areas of IT that you can work in.

These people can go off a be system administrator or Cisco engineer etc with a bit of study along with all the other areas.

Heck if the programming language they are currently working in goes south they can learn a different programming language.

I love how jealous people are of people working in IT.

Not attal, I have a degree in Fine Art and Horticulture ended up being a head Gardener because I was able to blend in the two.

I got a lot of inheritance, so the job I do is satisfactory, keeps me grounded and I love the outdoors.

I'm leaving home in the evening while the IT personell are still catching up with their projects and deadlines.

They'ed see the surfboard on my roof on a sunny August evening and say "you lucky bastard" there must be great freedom in gardening and there is :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 Fingerbang2

Not attal, I have a degree in Fine Art and Horticulture ended up being a head Gardener because I was able to blend in the two.

I got a lot of inheritance, so the job I do is satisfactory, keeps me grounded and I love the outdoors.

I'm leaving home in the evening while the IT personell are still catching up with their projects and deadlines.

They'ed see the surfboard on my roof on a sunny August evening and say "you lucky bastard" there must be great freedom in gardening and there is :)

Again your misinformed, a lot of IT people work from home and sometimes yes you can work late when deadlines are coming but very few actually do overtime, and if you do you are either paid or given time in lieu.

IT is a good career to have and if gardening is your passion then good for you. I actually like my job like and IT is my passion just like gardening is yours. I wouldn’t talk down on your field and say it’s all going to be automated etc.

You work in what makes you happy and IT makes me happy along with tons of people in the field.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,508 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Mango Joe wrote: »
    The secret is to leave school early and never, ever work.

All of the time saved not studying to gain qualifications or working to pay your way can be used to carefully learn the intricacies of the social welfare system inside out.

This knowledge is enough to set you up comfortably to 'day drink' with your friends every day of the week, this will be therapeutic for your carefully manufactured back pain which is keeping you out of the workforce. Also you can swap tips on claims, payments, schemes and strategies.

Then get queuing up for a free house, medical card, and several distinct payment streams for all of your different skill sets - eg disability allowance, carers allowance, various educational allowances and supports for your 7 kids who will either legitimately need them due to the smoking and drinking through pregnancy, malnutrition and advanced neglect, or alternatively you can petition the school until someones stamps a form for you proving they're entitled to this, that and the other.

When your kids are sent to school with no lunch, without books etc the State will set up school lunch schemes/buy them books so you need never stray too far from the alcohol aisle in Tesco.

When you don't bring them along to the free vaccination appointments set up, run and paid for by the State, staffed by hard working people.... Then further interventions will be required to stop pockets of disease from taking hold and killing kids.

Similarly the taxpayer is currently paying for advertising campaigns to educate you on feeding your kid sweets, chocolate, pizza and 5 litres of coke every day - But sure who gives a fu(k, the State will manage the diabetes when that arrives anyhow....

Currently there advertising campaigns run by Regina Doherty basically advertising all of the various classes of social welfare payments you could potentially cash in on if only you knew about them - So they set up a website and paid for radio adverts to try and give away more money to you, have an auld read there with your can of Dutch Gold and suck down another 6 fags while you're at it.

Then just piss about on the streets in your pyjamas with your big scowly knackers head every day proudly.....For you are a self-made citizen of our great State.

There seem to be plenty of knuckle draggers happy to live like that but thankfully most of the population aspire to a standard of living.

• Advertisement

Again your misinformed, a lot of IT people work from home and sometimes yes you can work late when deadlines are coming but very few actually do overtime, and if you do you are either paid or given time in lieu.

IT is a good career to have and if gardening is your passion then good for you. I actually like my job like and IT is my passion just like gardening is yours. I wouldn’t talk down on your field and say it’s all going to be automated etc.

You work in what makes you happy and IT makes me happy along with tons of people in the field.

I'm glad you're happy in your job and my apologies if I came across as undermining your job and future.

It wasn't my intention and I admire people who work had and are passionate about their careers.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

A family of 4 can eat like kings for €150 a week and not go near a processed meal.

It's very easy to stay healthy on a small budget.

That's what you call a small budget?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Cyrus wrote: »
    sorry i probably wasnt clear, i dont mean they have the same legitimate grievances but we appear to have made the same mistakes with treating them as a cohort, with the same results.

The mistake made here was indulging them to a grotesque degree, we've had decades of carrot yet things have never been worse, do the liberals who called for this approach show regret?, not a bit, they are now doubling down, new "hate crime" laws will make it near impossible to enforce criminal laws against travellers

• Registered Users Posts: 19,791 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    The mistake made here was indulging them to a grotesque degree, we've had decades of carrot yet things have never been worse, do the liberals who called for this approach show regret?, not a bit, they are now doubling down, new "hate crime" laws will make it near impossible to enforce criminal laws against travellers

totally agree, but thats a general shift in society,

one only needs to read your linkedin feed for 5 minutes to see this virtue signalling at a nauseating level any day you like.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭Garzard

In my mid-20's and still the bottom of the food chain on an apprenticeship salary of €20k which is pretty crap for my age and I'll probably still be on this for the next year. Even a qualified and experienced person in my role would only be earning up to roughly €30k max, which is modest.

Only myself to blame though as I lacked academic initiative throughout my school years, was an underachiever and never knew what I wanted career-wise (still not too sure!) so I lost a few years after school trying out various Level 5 courses and a failed Level 7 stint in DIT. Made my peace with all that though.

I just learnt that college life simply wasn't for me at all; once I started working, first in retail and then two years in the Civil Service I couldn't believe how much happier I was as opposed to being a student (constantly broke and under endless college deadlines, exams etc). Always much preferred the idea anyway of working & earning, building on experience and connections that way.

Back on point, my wage probably won't ever be brilliant due to my lack of academic success but I'm happy nonetheless and it's made me much more savvy with money. Have saved a huge amount this year via putting away 2/3 of my wage each month towards mortgage and car savings - what's left goes on rent to my folks and I'm still able to maintain a decent social life.

Once I can afford my own rural place and car in a couple years and live comfortably with enough left for a social life / hobbies and keep some savings going, that's good enough for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

I don't mean to offend people, but I'm wondering how people live off low wages (20/30K), buying houses, raising families. It seems impossible to me.

I'm 23, I make 32K as a software engineer, but I live with my parents so I can save a good chunk of money every month. I realize I'm lucky and I'll probably be on 50-70K in 2/3 years, but for people who won't get great raises, how do you live (especially in Dublin)

Lidil and Aldi.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

that they churn out babies for benefits

Now if any statement is the word you use yours is.

A family of 4 can eat like kings for €150 a week and not go near a processed meal.

It's very easy to stay healthy on a small budget.

My weekly food bill is around E20. Basics and even a bar of chocolate. And some to freeze,

• Registered Users Posts: 13,847 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Graces7 wrote: »
    My weekly food bill is around E20-25.

I take it you don't eat meat?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

People are different though. Different sizes, metabolism, age etc. It's like comparing two car owners, one with a Focus diesel and one with a 5l V8 and the Focus owner advising on where they can save fuel.

I eat like a horse, about 60 - 70 in Lidl per week. I would waste away to nothing on 20 per week. But I'm also 6' 2"...

Food is one thing I would never skimp on. It's your vehicle for life. Fuel it properly.

• Advertisement

I take it you don't eat meat?

Very, very rarely! Never red meat. And yes, meat would push cost up massively. I just cannot fancy it at all now, and plenty of protein in other foods.

The art is eating in season and eating local/Irish. Just now sprouts. carrots, roots. Potatoes... Buying offers.. own brand..

Always allowing for treats.. Skimping is not in my vocabulary!

Would not change it if I had more money.

major bill wrote: »
    70k In 2 or 3 years ya gotta love the young wans!! Not a hope unless you are **** hot and work for a decent company might take ya bit longer to get up the wage ladder to what you expect!

I don't know. I know pharmacists that earn 100k straight out of College locumming.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭zerosugarbuzz

Don’t bother work and get pregnant as soon as possible to get a free house.

Live off the benefits then. You’ll also be able to reject houses till you get one you like.

It’s a great little country. You can secretly have a partner living there as well.

As easy as that

Bitter much, I take it no one wants your dingaling;)

• Registered Users Posts: 8 peewee09

Mid 30's here on a little over 12,000 euro a year in the leisure industry. Working week is spread out over 4 days so no social welfare on the x's and o's. I have no choice but to live at home, parents are sound out though, and I do contribute where ever and whenever I can.

Living on a low wage for me means zero holidays, clothes are worn until they just cant be anymore, no meals out unless its a special occasion. Any spending I do has to be planned weeks in advance, saving for Christmas started in July/August, no holidays means that all holiday pay i'm due will be given around December so that helps.

In terms of the bigger picture, no way can I currently think of getting married, kids, buying a house etc. This often wrecks my head that I cant afford to keep up with the normal milestones for people of my age (non materialistic stuff - not into keeping up with the neighbours), but at the same time I have my health so i'm glad for that.

In a lot of ways I realize that while I cant afford luxuries, I still am in no way the worse off in society. Hopefully I'll someday have more financial independence, just have to work hard and try my best to move on in life.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,934 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

peewee09 wrote: »
    Mid 30's here on a little over 12,000 euro a year in the leisure industry. Working week is spread out over 4 days so no social welfare on the x's and o's. I have no choice but to live at home, parents are sound out though, and I do contribute where ever and whenever I can.

Living on a low wage for me means zero holidays, clothes are worn until they just cant be anymore, no meals out unless its a special occasion. Any spending I do has to be planned weeks in advance, saving for Christmas started in July/August, no holidays means that all holiday pay i'm due will be given around December so that helps.

In terms of the bigger picture, no way can I currently think of getting married, kids, buying a house etc. This often wrecks my head that I cant afford to keep up with the normal milestones for people of my age (non materialistic stuff - not into keeping up with the neighbours), but at the same time I have my health so i'm glad for that.

In a lot of ways I realize that while I cant afford luxuries, I still am in no way the worse off in society. Hopefully I'll someday have more financial independence, just have to work hard and try my best to move on in life.

I suspect many of your peers are in a similar situation, and there doesn't seem to be many solutions about the place. Best of luck with things

• Registered Users Posts: 2,385 ✭✭✭lainey_d_123

I was replying to another comment.

You cant live on pasta, mushrooms, pasta sauce and porrdige and expect to be healthy, you cant feed a family of 4 or 5 on a bag of pasta and a few jars of pasta sauce every week.
    Bread goes off in a couple of days and one loaf will not feed an entire family.
    That list of food already costs about 10 euro and its not enough to feed one person.

Goodness me...I'm not saying you should ONLY buy these things. I'm saying that this is easily half your meals for the whole week for about 10 euros. You can also buy chicken, a few different veg and some rice and do curries for the other days, a few potatoes for baking and having with tuna/cheese, maybe a cereal so you're not ALWAYS having porridge for breakfast, cut up some veg like carrots and celery to have for work lunch with pita and hummus...there's absolutely no way that any single person needs to be spending anywhere near 70 euros a week on food.

I do a weekly shop for myself and very rarely spend more than 35 euros in total. I shop at Aldi or Lidl, look out for special offers and bargains and have a basic 'staple' shop of the same things each week (loaf of brown bread, milk, cheese, spuds, etc.) and then get a few different things so I don't get bored. I eat very well, almost always get my five fruit and veg every day and buy plenty of nice things like parmesan (one block lasts me almost a month), have a nice coffee every day before work (Italian moka pot bought for 3 euros in a charity shop with nice coffee and frothed milk...works out at pennies per cup) and a few nice treats/snacks (chocolate, kettle crisps, whatever).

I in no way feel like I am depriving myself. I have in the past been forced to live off much, much less for food. There were plenty of times in my twenties and even early thirties, when I was earning sh1t money and desperately poor, that I'd end up eating spaghetti aglio e olio (just spaghetti, garlic and maybe cheese) several times a week and value baked beans on cheap white toast the other days. Now I can make lovely dinners and decent packed lunches for work and never spend over 40 euros a week at the very, very most, and I can often include a decent bottle of wine in that.

I am constantly blown away at how much other people just throw away on food without even batting an eyelid. People who are constantly moaning about how broke they are turning up at work every single day with a Starbucks latte and pastry, then out to buy a sandwich from O'Briens for lunch and another takeaway coffee, picking up ready made mashed potato and overpriced meat from expensive small shops on the way home. A lot of people my age seem to feel entitled to total convenience and feel put out by having to make any kind of an effort to learn basic cooking skills or put a packed lunch together. Fair enough to live like this if you can afford it, but a lot of people can't and don't seem to be able to see any other way. Just look at all the people on this thread thinking it's normal for a family to spend 1000 euros a month on food. It's completely insane.

I'm not saying there aren't people who are truly on the breadline and can't cut back, but even on 21K and working ridiculous hours, I was managing an alright lifestyle. I work with people on about 28K and living at home rent-free who tell me they can't afford a weekend away in Europe, which is totally ridiculous. I can have a decent weekend away with the difference in what I spend on food/coffee and what they spend, but people refuse to believe it. 35 euro a week on food/coffee vs about 100 euro is hundreds of euro saved in just one month. I went to Madrid last month to see a friend, had an amazing time, went to a show, museums, had amazing food and wine, met interesting people...I certainly don't see it as a hardship that I went without Starbucks for a month and took packed lunches to work to be able to do that.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

There’s great freedom in “a lot of inheritance”.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,385 ✭✭✭lainey_d_123

Fr_Dougal wrote: »
    There’s great freedom in “a lot of inheritance”.

I love how people just casually throw that in there, as if it isn't the main reason they're free to do a job they enjoy. The rest of us generally either have to accept being poor if we choose to do a fun, easy job or suck it up and do something we might not love or work long hours to have a decent life.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭Homelander

peewee09 wrote: »
    Mid 30's here on a little over 12,000 euro a year in the leisure industry.

Would you not just seek another job? Any basic full-time minimum wage job would instantly be €18K or whatever a year the second you start.

Depending where you live, call centres, factories, some customer service positions, are usually 22k or thereabouts to start.

For someone in their 30's whose head is likely well screwed on and they presumably know how to sell themselves, it should be quite easy to get any of these types of jobs with repeated attempts.

I don't understand why you would stay in such a position unless you were a part time student or similar where it may suit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,119 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Garzard wrote: »
    In my mid-20's and still the bottom of the food chain on an apprenticeship salary of €20k which is pretty crap for my age and I'll probably still be on this for the next year. Even a qualified and experienced person in my role would only be earning up to roughly €30k max, which is modest.

Surely a qualified person, after an apprenticeship, with a few years experience, could earn more than 30k???

I mean, I hear of electricians on 400 pd in Dublin???

Advertisement