Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How do people live off low wages?

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭nthclare

BDI wrote: »
    Everybody in the country is studying computer stuff. In five years the qualifications will be as common as an Eastern European building site worker.

If computers havnt already started making their own computer stuff it’ll be a 40 grand a year job at best.

I know taxi men studying programming degrees part time. Love it they do.

Reminds me of the time an ECDL was as good as a 4 year course in computer applications.

It's the same now my 18 year old has no qualifications in Art or Graphic design and his friends get him to edit photos for their Instagram profile pics and do funny gifs, exchanging head's from, editing videos etc

A dog with a mallet up his arse can do a lot these days on computers.

Then you've people who just come out of rehab doing sociology courses and looking after vunrable people....

Unqualified landscapers making balls of planting schemes and charging top dollar's

• Registered Users Posts: 2,385 ✭✭✭lainey_d_123

Everybody in the country is studying computer stuff. In five years the qualifications will be as common as an Eastern European building site worker.

If computers havnt already started making their own computer stuff it’ll be a 40 grand a year job at best.

I know taxi men studying programming degrees part time. Love it they do.

That's what I was told back in the 90s, when I became interested in programming.

'Sure everyone is doing it now, skills will be worthless, study something else'.

20 years later after years of living in poverty and not making use of the degree I was advised to do, I'm finally a software developer and finally making a liveable wage.

Pro life tip - don't take advice from teachers who have zero life experience and zero knowledge of industry or the world outside the four walls of a school.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,901 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

Pro life tip - don't take advice from teachers who have zero life experience and zero knowledge of industry or the world outside the four walls of a school.

The people giving the most career advice probably haven't looked for a job in decades, have no clue what the current job market is like, and definitely have no clue what it will be like in 5 years when you graduate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭BDI

That's what I was told back in the 90s, when I became interested in programming.

'Sure everyone is doing it now, skills will be worthless, study something else'.

20 years later after years of living in poverty and not making use of the degree I was advised to do, I'm finally a software developer and finally making a liveable wage.

It took you 20 years to earn a liveable wage from it and you are giving me advice?
    In the 90s programmers were getting way more than they get now adjusting for inflation, in the 2030s they will be getting way less than they do now.

With a small bit of overtime I earn what lads are pretending to earn here. I could do a few nixers each week if I really wanted to boost my earning. Why are you giving me a pro life tip? If you had of got any public sector job 20 years ago you would probably be on what people pretend to earn here.

It took you 20 years to earn a liveable wage from it and you are giving me advice?
    In the 90s programmers were getting way more than they get now adjusting for inflation, in the 2030s they will be getting way less than they do now.

With a small bit of overtime I earn what lads are pretending to earn here. I could do a few nixers each week if I really wanted to boost my earning. Why are you giving me a pro life tip? If you had of got any public sector job 20 years ago you would probably be on what people pretend to earn here.

Reading comprehension isn't your forte, is it?

It took 20 years because I gave it up based on that crap advice and studied something totally different. I didn't pick it up again until I was well into my thirties. Once I was good enough to work in it, I was on double my previous salary in well under a year and some of my more experienced colleagues are on six figures. As I would be if I hadn't been fed the rubbish you're spouting here by teachers and 'career advisors'. I would have had a very comfortable life over the past decade if I'd gone into programming sooner.

But sure, whatever you want to tell yourself.

• Advertisement

Padre_Pio wrote: »
    The people giving the most career advice probably haven't looked for a job in decades, have no clue what the current job market is like, and definitely have no clue what it will be like in 5 years when you graduate.

Exactly. They are in fact some of the worst people to be giving out career advice, and yet they do it and act like they know it all.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭Fionn1952

Christ, software development grads are the worst. At this point, I just don't have any dealings at all with any with under five years experience, it isn't worth the overblown ego that seems to always take a few years to subside.

If I had a euro for every software dev grad who was convinced they'd be on a hundred grand within five years, and had to give twenty back to every one who actually was, I'd be making a fortune!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

Fionn1952 wrote: »
    Christ, software development grads are the worst.

That's what happens when nerds finally get some leverage. Insufferable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭Twister2

Shoplifting - amazing how much you save on your food bills

Drill a big hole into your neighbours house-save a packet on heating costs

• Registered Users Posts: 6,181 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

DellyBelly wrote: »
    That's not a bad wage you are on but not great for Dublin. You would hope you should be higher than 60k after 6 years? I reckon to have a decent life in Dublin you need to earning north of 85k even closer to 100k

I think so. I would be slow to move to Dublin even for that kind of money. Not even getting 40k now but my expenses are very low only 200 a month rent and I get to live in a place where the fellas on big money come for a weekend to get away from it all (but not too often because it's too inaccessible for them).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭Pmacv1

The Elder wrote: »
    Neet here. Although I'm provided with a very generous allowance from the state, courtesy of the hard work of countless wageslaves, I choose instead an ascetic lifestyle.

Why can't you wagies do the same? Why do need that 50 inch tv? To watch some **** English football team you've arbitrarily chosen to support lose?

Why the desire for the new car that will cripple you with loan repayments? Do you really need two weeks in Spain for a 'mad sesh with de lads'?

Answer me wagies. Is because you spend 60+ hours a week making someone else rich and you feel the need to 'own' as making things as possible?

The wageslaves I know irl all seem highly agitated and unhappy. I really do think embracing a frugal would make most of you much happier and healthier.

You're a wretch.

The elder does make some good points like do people really need huge TVs and brand new cars and what's with the Irish obsession with houses? I do believe people would be happier if they did things such as walked and cycled more and lived in apartments where you can be closer to local amenities and not as dependant on owning a car.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

You can't make an honest living imo.

That doesn't answer why you are hell bent on this life of material excess that leads only to unhappiness.

What about those of us with lives you'd consider materially excessive (I like to go visit new places with the missus, I like good food, a few pints at the weekend, various sports etc. Not what most would consider hugely materialistic, but certainly not a life I could afford on the dole) who aren't unhappy, but actually rather content with life?

The correlation between poverty/unemployment and depression somewhat undermines your point that it's all sunshine and roses living on benefits.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 Fingerbang2

Reading through this thread I would advise anyone to get into the IT industry only if they have a genuine passion for it. IT isn’t just programming

People who are very good in IT could get any amount of money. Someone working in IT with two years experience could better than someone with 30 years experience.

Some people work in junior positions their entire life as they don’t have the technical knowledge for any other role and be on an average wage or a lot less.

Every person with an IT degree(which teaches you about 5% of what you actually need in the work place.) are not automatically on big money, only the good people are.

Its not in decline and is a very good career choice if your generally interested and don’t mind constant upskilling.

Out of the 1700 jobs on Irishjobs(not including the big tech firms) there is a huge demand at present and don’t have the applicants to fill the roles.

So to answer people queries Yes there is massive money in IT.
    Would the majority of the work force be on huge wages: No but above the average wage

nthclare wrote: »
    Reminds me of the time an ECDL was as good as a 4 year course in computer applications.

It's the same now my 18 year old has no qualifications in Art or Graphic design and his friends get him to edit photos for their Instagram profile pics and do funny gifs, exchanging head's from, editing videos etc

A dog with a mallet up his arse can do a lot these days on computers.

Then you've people who just come out of rehab doing sociology courses and looking after vunrable people....

Unqualified landscapers making balls of planting schemes and charging top dollar's

That’s not IT your son is doing, it’s digital media.

You really don’t get what people working in IT actually do, do you?

Seriously what do you have against people working in IT. It’s a good career choice. You seem to think IT is only programming when it’s only one of around twenty different areas or more you can work in.

If you can afford then by all means. But so many wagies end up trapped in a life of debt bondage because they are lured into the trap of materialism.

The neet does not feel hate towards the wageslave. Rather he feels pity because he recognizes that had he not figured out how to beat the system, he too would be a slave to the grind.

I'm going to take a guess that you listen to a lot of Amebix and Discharge with all your free time....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Fionn1952 wrote: »
    I'm going to take a guess that you listen to a lot of Amebix and Discharge with all your free time....

I suspect he's too busy, in the real world, earning a poor wage for all that.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,181 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

Do companies pay mad high wages to any developers working at home 5 days a week?

• Advertisement

Feel free to laugh wagies but I'm not the one who has to be up at 6am, has to endure a gruelling 2hr commute and then 8+ hours of wageslavery.

I generally wake at 11am. Feel free to take a minute from your 10min coffee break to say hello :)

Aye, but when do you listen to The Exploited and Anti-Nowhere League?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭sasta le

I don't mean to offend people, but I'm wondering how people live off low wages (20/30K), buying houses, raising families. It seems impossible to me.

I'm 23, I make 32K as a software engineer, but I live with my parents so I can save a good chunk of money every month. I realize I'm lucky and I'll probably be on 50-70K in 2/3 years, but for people who won't get great raises, how do you live (especially in Dublin)

You are very lucky so

• Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭Twister2

seems a lot of assho1es work in IT

Do companies pay mad high wages to any developers working at home 5 days a week?

I know a few contractors working from home (nip in to the office once or twice a month) on 800-1200 a day.

They're exceptionally talented individuals with impeccable reputations and very high skills in some very niche, desirable tech stacks.

They also didn't just fall into that position overnight, and would be deep into their careers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Feel free to laugh wagies but I'm not the one who has to be up at 6am, has to endure a gruelling 2hr commute and then 8+ hours of wageslavery.

I generally wake at 11am. Feel free to take a minute from your 10min coffee break to say hello :)
    Frankly, I find that hard to believe.
    I could do all that if I wish, but there's too much to enjoy to lie in bed half the morning. However, when I get up I can hop in my new car any morning, nip to town for a coffee and a decent lunch. I have all the leisure you seem to waste and all the resources to enjoy it in comfort. I don't think I'd swap for your supposed lifestyle just for the foregoing of a few years doing a well paid job that I enjoyed immensely. Working doesn't have to be a chore and it doesn't take up all your life either.

Seriously what do you have against people working in IT. It’s a good career choice. You seem to think IT is only programming when it’s only one of around twenty different areas or more you can work in.

Lads don't feed the trolls.

Between the fella on the scratch saying he's happier than the majority earning decent money and the fella saying he could earn that money if he did a few extra nixers, it's just not worth the hassle.
    Srameen wrote: »
    Frankly, I find that hard to believe.
    I could do all that if I wish, but there's too much to enjoy to lie in bed half the morning. However, when I get up I can hop in my new car any morning, nip to town for a coffee and a decent lunch. I have all the leisure you seem to waste and all the resources to enjoy it in comfort. I don't think I'd swap for your supposed lifestyle just for the foregoing of a few years doing a well paid job that I enjoyed immensely. Working doesn't have to be a chore and it doesn't take up all your life either.

Amen.

Id love the idea of a month or two off work to sit on my hole playing the PlayStation, but by god I'd be bored after a week. Like, what do ya even do?

Twister2 wrote: »
    seems a lot of assho1es work in IT

Nah just people are jealous of IT having a good wage and in a secure line of work which is booming.

Each to their own really

• Registered Users Posts: 3,390 ✭✭✭Airyfairy12

They live cheaply and cut corners were they can. They spend every bit of change they have, buy inexpensive, reduced, shop brand food. They buy clothes, curtains, bed sheets and house items from second hand shops and cheap outlets. Buy allot of necessities from Deals and euro shops. They will go without out luxuries or things that arent absolutely needed, wont regularly go on nights out, wont go out for lunch or dinner unless its somewhere inexpensive.
    There are benefits available for people but mostly reserved for people who earn under 20,000 a year and working part time so if someone is working full time or part time with hours spread out over the entire week, theyre not entitled to social welfare payments regardless of their income as they can only claim for days they dont work.
    People who earn 30,000 and work full time are entitled to nothing.

Youre better off in this country if you dont work and live off the state as you will have everything paid for and a free house, better again if you have kids.

Youre better off in this country if you dont work and live off the state as you will have everything paid for and a free house, better again if you have kids.

That's really not true.

For a certain period, that period when people hit their 30's and have huge expenses like weddings, mortgage, and young children and the massive outlays that come with them, then yes I agree with you, it's f*cking miserable working your ass off and having nothing to show for it.

But either side of that period and especially when children get a bit older, you're much better off financially if you're employed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭CIP4

I think what comes into it for many people is as their Salaries rise so does their spending habits / outgoings so in many cases as you earn more you don't save more or have more money left you just end up spending more. Which does factor into the question asked. I earn 30k a year gradually go up to 50k which my spending goes up with it and then wonder how could anyone survive on 30k. Well they easily could if they are use to only earning 30k. Lifestyle creep is the term often used for the above.

As mentioned though where you live comes into it also as cost of living varies so much county to county.

Advertisement