Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

Apple TV+

• 01-11-2019 7:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,357 ✭✭✭DubDJ

Apple’s new TV service just went live. A few episodes (seems like the first 3) of some of the shows now available.

Cost’s only €4.99 a month. If you bought an iPhone, iPad, iPod, Mac or Apple TV anytime after the keynote (September 10th) you’re eligible to a free year of the service.

Also, anybody with a Apple Music student account gets free access to the service.

It seems to be on a few devices from companies other than Apple like Samsung TV’s, Roku boxes and Amazon’s fire lineup.

Anybody planning on signing up? I get free access with my Apple Music student account so I’ll be streaming though a Roku. There’s already about 5 shows I’m interested in and a movie or two so I’ll give it a shot. Really good value and the shows seem to have decent production value behind them. It’ll be interesting seeing how it takes off.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭Eire Go Brach

Just looking there on my iPhone. Have it free for the year.
    Reminds me of Amazon prime. You don’t know what’s free and what’s paid. Clicking into everything to see it’s a cost. Kinda Of annoying. So far the show there were announced are the only things free.
    Had this starzplay thing to subscribe to as well not familiar with that.

First impressions. Not really impressed. But I am only looking on Iphone.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,357 ✭✭✭DubDJ

They’re basically mixing iTunes movie content in with the Apple TV+ stuff. It seems like Apple still don’t offer TV shows on the Irish Store, but a few shows are available from StarzTV at a €4.99 subscription. Think Apple calls these ‘Channels’ and they can be subscribed to so you have all your subscriptions in one place.

Looks like only a handful of shows available at launch. I don’t mind, I don’t binge watch shows and prefer the staggered release every week to be honest.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭donfers

About 6 or 7 shows on it as far as I can see which is absolutely tiny compared with both Amazon and Netflix....

• Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

Half a dozen TV series which had to go through Apple’s Californian morale and political correctness filter ... as it stands I don’t even know if I will watch anything even though I have the one year free trial (and I certainly wouldn’t pay anything for it).

But then again, I’m probably just not the target audience (if something like the criterion collection streaming service was available here, it is the kind of thing I’d be very happy to pay for).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,446 ✭✭✭Shred

I got a year free with an iPad purchase recently. I'll certainly give 'For all Mankind' (although it looks a bit melodramatic from the trailer), 'The Morning Show' and possibly 'See' a go for a start anyway. It's great to see most are in both Dolby Vision and Atmos too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Got it free as well and watched the first episode of TMS. Not bad I thought, I'll watch another episode later.

I agree it would be better if the TV shows were separated from the films you have to buy/rent to watch. I know there is a little TV+ icon in the bottom left of the icon for the TV shows but it would be better for browsing if you could just see the TV shows. Maybe when they get more content they'll do that.

Watched the first episode of The Morning Show. Looks decent so far, I watch a lot of different shows so I’m open to all types in general. Glad to see the rumours of Apple making the shows family friendly weren’t strictly true. Plenty of explicit language and themes in the first episode. Looking forward to watching some of the other shows in the next few days.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,120 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

See definitely isn't family friendly

• Registered Users Posts: 28,334 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

donfers wrote: »
    About 6 or 7 shows on it as far as I can see which is absolutely tiny compared with both Amazon and Netflix....

Well in fairness it's only launched.

I'll get it free for a year.

However, I don't like that they mix in movies you can by or rent. Should be separate and easy to distinguish.

Also, only 3 episodes available of each series apart 'Dickonson' is what I can see.

Finally, no smart TV apps yet to enable to watch on TV as I'm not going to buy an Apple TV to access their shows on my TV and somethings I don't want to watch on a phone or tablet.

murpho999 wrote: »
    However, I don't like that they mix in movies you can by or rent. Should be separate and easy to distinguish.

Yep that seems really unpractical.

Finally, no smart TV apps yet to enable to watch on TV as I'm not going to buy an Apple TV to access their shows on my TV and somethings I don't want to watch on a phone or tablet.

Might be the case with your specific TV, but as far as I have read they actually made a large effort to have it available on as many platforms as possible at launch (Roku, Fire TV, and a few brands of Smart TVs with more coming - so you might be covered soon).

• Advertisement

Bob24 wrote: »
    Yep that seems really unpractical.

Might be the case with your specific TV, but as far as I have read they actually made a large effort to have it available on as many platforms as possible at launch (Roku, Fire TV, and quite a few brands of Smart TVs).

I have an LG TV smart TV. How difficult could it have been to have an app ready at launch.

I find Apple bad at this. Same as Apple Music no third party device apps unlike when you compare to Spotify that is on TVs, Sky TV, Xbox , Playstation etc.

I think Apple want people to buy Apple TVs but I think they'd have more subscribers to their services if it was more easily accessible. Airplay 2 not on all devices either.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,120 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

The mixing of Original free content and for sale or rent content is an Amazon trick to get you to buy more stuff that you can't get for free.

I have an LG TV smart TV. How difficult could it have been to have an app ready at launch.

I find Apple bad at this. Same as Apple Music no third party device apps unlike when you compare to Spotify that is on TVs, Sky TV, Xbox , Playstation etc.

I think Apple want people to buy Apple TVs but I think they'd have more subscribers to their services if it was more easily accessible. Airplay 2 not on all devices either.

I get the frustration, but remember it is Apple. The simple fact of having it available on non Apple platforms at launch is more than they’ve done with most other services. And supporting direct competitors’ hardware such as Roku and the Fire TV is some kind of revolution for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭sandyxxx

Signed up for a free year after a recent iPhone purchase,.....wasn’t immediately offered through the app but was through https://offers.appletvapp.apple/........is Apple Music included??

sandyxxx wrote: »
    Signed up for a free year after a recent iPhone purchase,.....wasn’t immediately offered through the app but was through https://offers.appletvapp.apple/........is Apple Music included??

Nope.

I think for now they see Apple TV+ as a goodie to push hardware sales while Apple Music is a real service (and also since they own all the contents on TV+ So it is easier to offer free and long trials as the expense have been made already and their don’t need to pay royalties each time you watch an episode).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,446 ✭✭✭Shred

I didn't get to watch anything last night after all.

As an aside, does anyone know why the TV app doesn't show all movies in my library? For instance, I got all of the Alien movies for €15 a while ago but not one of them appears in the App everything is available in the regular Movies app :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 26,554 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

2019 LG TVs have an Apple TV + app my 2018 doesn’t same boat as yourself. This leads me to believe theres something blocking Apple on this. Samsung TVs from 2018 and above have it so...

Here’s a full list https://www.apple.com/apple-tv-app/devices/

You can see LG are lacking compared to others. I would love an app for my 2018 oled cause I don’t want a 4K Apple TV either as I have the 1080p version and wanted to wait for a refresh of hardware.

You don’t need to buy an Apple TV for it, Amazon’s 4K stock and Roku’s stick have an app and can be got for a fraction of an Apple TV.

2019 LG TVs have an Apple TV + app my 2018 doesn’t same boat as yourself. This leads me to believe theres something blocking Apple on this. Samsung TVs from 2018 and above have it so...

You can see LG are lacking compared to others. I would love an app for my 2018 oled cause I don’t want a 4K Apple TV either as I have the 1080p version and wanted to wait for a refresh of hardware.

You don’t need to buy an Apple TV for it, Amazon’s 4K stock and Roku’s stick have an app and can be got for a fraction of an Apple TV.

Thanks for the lists.

I have no desire or need for a Amazon or Roku stick. I don't want an extra device to watch Apple TV + stuff. That's my point.

I don’t believe LG tv’s have the Apple TV app at all. Only Samsung tv’s have the app installed, LG added support for Airplay 2 and HomePod to their 2019 TV lineup.

Thanks for the lists.

I have no desire or need for a Amazon or Roku stick. I don't want an extra device to watch Apple TV + stuff. That's my point.

I was the same, I picked up a Roku stick to watch the shows through. Hoping the app eventually comes to the LG tv lineup and I’ll just get rid of the Roku stick.

I know the service is available through tv.apple.com but I’m not sure how well it works though a tv’s built-in web browser.

• Advertisement

BBC have given Apple's big flagship show "The Morning Show" a terrible review.

Link to review.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Link to review.

They also gave El Camino a terrible review so I won’t read too much into what they think.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭Eire Go Brach

They don’t really have a choice. They need to get the app on everything. That’s why Netflix and Spotify are so popular. There business model of having excellent software to sell hardware won’t work with music and video.

And let’s be honest. Only reason tv+ is free is no one would pay for it. Content is so limited.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,554 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

And let’s be honest. Only reason tv+ is free is no one would pay for it. Content is so limited.

I think it’s too early to judge it. Better to see the list of content 12 months from now. Apple are doing pretty much 100% own content. Think Netflix without any back catalogue.
    They also gave El Camino a terrible review so I won’t read too much into what they think.

El Camino deserved that review. It was 2 hours of going nowhere.

One thing though, their tv UI is so much better than anything else I’ve used (Netflix, Prime, NowTV). It’s just so fluid and the animations are great, that’s even running on a third party Roku device.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,896 ✭✭✭dubmick

Link to review.

Haven't watched it myself but the Guardian gave it a five star review.

I got a free sub for it with an iphone but is there anything actually free to watch on it with the subscription? Everything I go to watch is looking further payment.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,667 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

I got a free sub for it with an iphone but is there anything actually free to watch on it with the subscription? Everything I go to watch is looking further payment.

Yes, full list: Morning Show, See, Dickinson, For all mankind, Oprah book club, and some kids stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,089 ✭✭✭pad199207

This Morning Show seems to be decent. A platform for showing off iPhones anyways, don’t think I’ve ever seen so much iPhone usage in a tv show!

Not an android to be seen and rightly so!

• Advertisement

pad199207 wrote: »
    This Morning Show seems to be decent. A platform for showing off iPhones anyways, don’t think I’ve ever seen so much iPhone usage in a tv show!

Not an android to be seen and rightly so!

:D

Apple beat android 2-1 after extra time. You can be very proud.

Advertisement