Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rugby World Cup Final 2019 Eng vs S Africa

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭Happy4all

I must re-read Matt Dawson's article where he stated, not one of the SA players would be good enough to start for England.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,122 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Surely the TMO should have some sort of grid line tech to decide it definitively like offside in soccer

The tech in soccer is Shi!the. It's a line drawn that if you look at from 4 different angles gives a different perspective and would make you arrive at a different decision. Youd need to have dozens of cameras to get any type of accuracy.

Anyway, England havnt shown up today. Farrell was doing the soccer equivalent of waving a yellow card in the first half rather than directing his team to cop on at scrum.

South Africa had to play all their games too
    England had a waltz through the group. Played a gassed Australia who punched some holes but ultimately didn't have the stamina or precision.

The New Zealand performance was amazing, but might be the exception rather than the rule.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,791 ✭✭✭Utah_Saint

Akrasia wrote: »
    Christ there are an awful lot of below standard comments on this thread

You guys do know this is a forum for adults right?

Now that the WC is over most of those posters will disappear from this forum...god forbid they might support their provinces

• Registered Users Posts: 4,490 ✭✭✭swiwi_

@jacovs

Enjoy your day, well done mate!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,337 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

England will win this now. Game over I feel. Completely different side second half as you can see.

They're an outstanding sporting nation, arguably the best in the 2010s.

haha

it would have been a travesty if this blood and thunder English outfit won the World Cup. Thank God South Africa were there to thrash them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭A-Train

Hard luck England, I actually would not have minded them winning today, played good throughout the tournament and backed us in the World Cup bid when no one else did.

However South Africa were great today and were they have come from in the last 2 years. Great for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,802 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

I thought the England won the world Cup last week??

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 24,305 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Happy4all wrote: »
    I must re-read Matt Dawson's article where he stated, not one of the SA players would be good enough to start for England.

Why do people do this to themselves?

He's a particularly dislikeable and smug individual all the same so no surprise that he'd write such twaddle.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭Ectoplasm

I need to examine my predujices. I'm delighted to see England lose.

It *may* be the Eddie Jones factor.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,634 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

Tis only natural. Especially when Eddie Jones is involved.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

castor 1 wrote: »
    Gatland won’t be happy at all.

Wales had the beating of SA last week and didn’t do it and if they had won they would have fancied beating England today.
    No they didn't. They were gifted a way back into the match. They were shocking.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 418 ✭✭high_king

England can hold their heads higher than Ireland can, that's for sure.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,692 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

RSA win deservedly and big too.

Great to see a little Munster influence there.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,122 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

GDK_11 wrote: »
    So 3 people out of a squad and coaching unit of probably 50+ but yes arrogant English

Joe Marler too then.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,399 ✭✭✭Damien360

Delighted to see this after a week of hearing how England were going to dominate rugby for years and how they had changed the sport last week. Maybe win the competition before making such grand claims next time.

Ah stop. Ireland is no better. The northern hemisphere lives in the 6 nations bubble. The newspapers in Ireland and England spout the same rubbish about both teams ability. But England deserved to be in this final, but just failed to turn up today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

swiwi_ wrote: »
    Graham Henry said very difficult to play 2 good games in a row.

NZ fab vs Ireland kak vs ENG

Ditto England.

SA average vs Wales. Great here.

WOuldnt really agree there. Think NZ were the same against both Ireland and Eng. It was the opposition that produced the different score boards. Ireland were poor. England were good.
    The game suited SA. It was a contest of similar teams and they came out the better of the contested part of the game, stalling Englands forwards, and making more progress in return, themselves.
    NZ have to play a different game, and were totally unable to handle Englands forwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,811 ✭✭✭Mysterypunter

So did the media

• Subscribers Posts: 41,301 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Chester Williams
    Joost van der weshuizen
    James small
    Ruben kruger....

All smiling down on that performance!!!

I'm delighted for SA.

While the wales game was an abboration, it showed that know what they have to do to win.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

I wonder how much of a savaging Eddie Jones and his team will get from the English media after this result.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,931 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Akrasia wrote: »
    Christ there are an awful lot of below standard comments on this thread

You guys do know this is a forum for adults right?

I am an adult who won 70 quid today. Thanks South Africa.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭steves2

In fairness the English media as always were arrogant but considering the semi final performance it was expected. SA ran that game from the first minute, England can't complain. Matt Dawson said no SA players would get into the England team...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭Jacovs

swiwi_ wrote: »
    @jacovs

Enjoy your day, well done mate!
    All credit to the team in fairness. Hope they heard me shouting on the couch though.

Thank you. Will enjoy it again monday in work.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭SharpshooterTom

Beating NZ supposedly = Winning the World Cup

To be fair though England had to go through Australia, New Zealand and South Africa. Just too many hurdles in the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

That South Africa physio chick though
    My god!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,802 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

That makes felix Jones the most successful international Irish coach ever?

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

There's more than a little hubris to the English progress through the RWC. I think their brilliance last week had them thinking they just needed to show up.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

GDK_11 wrote: »
    So 3 people out of a squad and coaching unit of probably 50+ but yes arrogant English

They’re led by arrogance and their biggest player shouldn’t be playing international rugby because of his backwards views.

Not to mention Joe Marler who was so horrified by Folau’s comments but clearly doesn’t give a **** about Vunipola playing alongside him.

Kyle Sinckler one of the most arrogant players in the game.

Maro Itoje one of the biggest cheats.

So yes. Plenty to dislike about them.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,661 ✭✭✭blackwhite

As an aside, I'd say if you told any South Africans in 1995 when they won that the next time they won a world cup it'd be lifted by a black captain you would've either been a) laughed at or b) lynched.

And you’d have been wrong too

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2007_Rugby_World_Cup_Final

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭gooch2k9

I wonder how much of a savaging Eddie Jones and his team will get from the English media after this result.

I don't think they will. It's different now, like the soccer lads.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Whatever about the team who generally I've a lot of time for, with the attitude Jones has toward the media, he'll deserve every bit.

Advertisement