Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So we have become xenophobics now

Options
  • 01-11-2019 12:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭

One of the things i was proud of in ireland was there was no far right groups.

But looks like we are are xenophobic as the rest of them:

https://www.rte.ie/news/connacht/2019/1031/1087856-achill-asylum-seekers/

Those protestors should hang their heads in shame.

im a bit disappointed the department of justice is bowing to pressure.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Cant help but read the title with adding father on the end of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,896 ✭✭✭timmyntc

It's not xenophobia to be opposed to badly thought out plans - dumping asylum seekers in a remote area like Achill Island with feck all services, public transport or employment prospects hardly makes sense does it?

Put asylum seekers in high density buildings in or near cities - at least there there are some amenities for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭2011abc

This isn’t anti - ‘foreigner’ it’s anti -direct provision .Housing ANYONE in cramped bedrooms in hotels when there are so many houses empty is unacceptable .The only winners are Hotel
    Owners and fast food providers .There are hardly any staff even ,in the god forsaken places .
    Of course this is being twisted by media .
    And there are hundreds of empty houses ON ACHILL ISLAND ?!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Faith+1

One of the things i was proud of in ireland was there was no far right groups.

But looks like we are are xenophobic as the rest of them:

https://www.rte.ie/news/connacht/2019/1031/1087856-achill-asylum-seekers/

im a bit disappointed the department of justice is bowing to pressure.

You can lead by example and ring the Dept of Justice and tell them how many you're taking in.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

I despise when media refer to collective 'we' as becoming more racist or prejudiced. Im not becoming more racist, whatever group is in question in Achill ,may be.I would also say youre trivialising what is probably a much more complex issue than you recongnise if you think the only reason people might be apprehensive about something like this is because they are racist. 'We' Irish are not becoming more racist, and most irish people are not racist, at all. Despite some irish people wishing with all their hearts that more irish people were racist so they would have justification give out about it all day online

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Bobblehats

Hey mama we’re all racist now

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

They took the roads in!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭s7ryf3925pivug

I think the attack on the TD for speaking in support of asylum seekers probably qualifies. Dunno about the Achill Island thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

'Heard you're a racist now Father'.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Pledge a bed OP
    Take personal responsibility instead of trying to shame people you know nothing about.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

The majority of people who have moved to Ireland from abroad have been decent. Thankfully. I hope that continues.

But there have been notable exceptions, some of them high profile such as ISIS fundraisers. Local papers around Ireland have covered court stories on individuals who are definitely not here to 'enrich' us in any respect. National papers tend to be more suppressive on this side of immigration. Are we really going to blame Irish people about caution in that respect?

Small tight-knit communities are being instructed to take a leap into the dark with no end to the downside and not much offered by way of an upside. I don't think it is helping anyone's cause to attempt to hyperbolically link that natural caution with far-right nazism.

In a few cases recently the attempted impositions were ludicrously disproportionate to the size of the towns.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,987 ✭✭✭pgj2015

I honestly do think that the issue of lack of services is just an excuse to keep the foreigners out, I have seen it in small towns in the west of Ireland, a family moves in from Dublin and the locals wont even talk to them because they are Dubs, what chance do foreigners have?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,258 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

'Heard you're a racist now Father'.

Should we all be racist now? What's the Church's position? I'm so busy down on the farm I won't have much time for the ol' racism.

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Cordell

So, while going through some estate in Galway (pretty much) the only people I've heard speaking English were black. I can understand the locals being unsettled by things like that and wanting less of it, even I being an immigrant myself was a bit surprised by it. Race and skin color has nothing to do with it, just some people will not like or accept this kind of change. Their opinion is just as valid as anyone's else.

So, "what chance do foreigners have?" - no one should be forced to accept or embrace them. It either happens or it doesn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Much like the Japanese, Achill Islanders seek to preserve their unique and delicate cultural ecosystem

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Antares35

"Achill is very welcoming"... if you're a paying American tourist we can suck up to.

pgj2015 wrote: »
    a family moves in from Dublin and the locals wont even talk to them because they are Dubs, what chance do foreigners have?

Sub-zero?

giphy.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 17,849 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

pgj2015 wrote: »
    I honestly do think that the issue of lack of services is just an excuse to keep the foreigners out, I have seen it in small towns in the west of Ireland, a family moves in from Dublin and the locals wont even talk to them because they are Dubs, what chance do foreigners have?

Foreigners aren't Dubs though :D, evidence would suggest most fit in grand if they genuinely try to fit into and contribute to the community. Helicoptering in a relatively large group on a temporary basis is not really an asset for the local community

Jimmy Rabbitte:
    The Irish are the blacks of Europe. And Dubliners are the blacks of Ireland. And the Northside Dubliners are the blacks of Dublin. So say it once and say it loud, I'm black and I'm proud.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 428 ✭✭blueshade

It's hugely worrying to read the words of a FF spokesman saying that Ireland should be accepting economic migrants. Why? We have 10,000 homeless on housing lists, a shortage of hospital beds, the guts of a million people waiting to see a Consultant, people are having to give the government a percentage of the sale of their homes to pay for accomodation in Care Homes yet these gob****es think we should be letting in anyone who shows up here.

We have borders for a reason. Europe's lax border controls have made it easy for modern slavery to make a comeback in the 21st century. These people aren't working for the interests of the Irish public, they're working on their CV for their future careers in Brussels and the UN. Ireland isn't racist or xenophobic, people just aren't taking this crap lying down anymore. Genuine refugees have always been welcome, until it's safe to go home. Bogus economic migrants should be booted out on the first flight home.

silverharp wrote: »
    Foreigners aren't Dubs though :D, evidence would suggest most fit in grand if they genuinely try to fit into and contribute to the community.

That’s reverse basket casism

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭LillySV

Faith+1 wrote: »
    You can lead by example and ring the Dept of Justice and tell them how many you're taking in.

And suggest that their prospect of employment is far greater in the wealthier south side of Dublin ...

I’d doubt a lot of our top tds/ministers and business men living there would mind...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,754 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

I stayed in that hotel once. Good auld spot. Thats it.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,106 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I'd be fairly "right wing" on this, well in the sense that I consider modern multiculturalism to be a failure. It does few people any good, much less those that aren't of the indigenous population. So no, I don't want Ireland to be going down the same bloody stupid road of every other European nation's multiculturalist nonsense.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

I oppose the current policy of population transfer but believe Irish people ( and EU citizens) should contribute more to both the development of Africa and safe zones for genuine refugees

The current policy helps nobody bar career building NGO hacks

We have no obligation to want multiculturalism, none

• Registered Users Posts: 20,176 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Oh for the luvva Jaysis - no, we are not "xenophobic". There is, however, a good chance that anyone who thinks housing asylum seekers in a hotel on Achill Island is a blithering idiot.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

blueshade wrote: »
    It's hugely worrying to read the words of a FF spokesman saying that Ireland should be accepting economic migrants. Why? We have 10,000 homeless on housing lists, a shortage of hospital beds, the guts of a million people waiting to see a Consultant, people are having to give the government a percentage of the sale of their homes to pay for accomodation in Care Homes yet these gob****es think we should be letting in anyone who shows up here.

We have borders for a reason. Europe's lax border controls have made it easy for modern slavery to make a comeback in the 21st century. These people aren't working for the interests of the Irish public, they're working on their CV for their future careers in Brussels and the UN. Ireland isn't racist or xenophobic, people just aren't taking this crap lying down anymore. Genuine refugees have always been welcome, until it's safe to go home. Bogus economic migrants should be booted out on the first flight home.

I made a decision three months ago not to pay the TV licence, we are bombarded with cultural Marxism daily on rte and the Irish media in general

They hold us in contempt

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭Mules

I just read an article about psychiatric patients having to sleep on hospital floors in Waterford... How in god's name can a health system this overstretched cope with any more increase in population. Immigration is massively increasing the population and we don't have the infrastructure to keep up. The population has grown by over 1 million in the last 20 years and has contributed to chaos in health and housing. Varadkar has already spoke about increasing the population by another million, it's madness.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Cordell

On this particular topic the system is the problem, not the population increase. Stopping the population increase will just hide the problems that needs to be fixed. Per capita healthcare spending in Ireland is higher than other countries that have stellar public healthcare systems.

Mules wrote: »
    I just read an article about psychiatric patients having to sleep on hospital floors in Waterford... How in god's name can a health system this overstretched cope with any more increase in population. Immigration is massively increasing the population and we don't have the infrastructure to keep up. The population has grown by over 1 million in the last 20 years and has contributed to chaos in health and housing. Varadkar has already spoke about increasing the population by another million, it's madness.

What himself? He will be busy so :pac:

Perhaps I am a cynic but I can't help but think all this weeping and nashing of teeth over "our own" is just a smokescreen to blot out the NIMBYism that is rife in Ireland, in back árse villages especially. Nobody really cares about mentally ill patients sleeping on floors until their plight can be used to refuse immigrants. And I am on the fence about the whole thing in terms of whether it should or should not be happening, but I wish people would have the decency to stand up and say "I don't want him here because he is not Irish" or whatever instead of bandying about some faux concern about social issues affecting Irish people that in truth they could not care less about.

• Advertisement

Mules wrote: »

They could stop haemorrhaging money to middle management deadwood, but I guess that is a conversation for another day. We could double the money being pumped into the HSE - the system would still be shít.

Advertisement