Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So we have become xenophobics now

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭conorhal

Antares35 wrote: »
    "Achill is very welcoming"... if you're a paying American tourist we can suck up to.

Oh, you mean the people that ensure folk living there can pay their bills and keep a roof over their head? What monsters!

I remember 10yrs ago meeting a black couple who were on holiday in Kerry.
    I was kind of curious about what made them choose the west of Ireland as a destination and they were pretty blunt about their reasons.
    As American tourists in a post 9/11 world, they told me they made their holiday destination decisions based on where they felt safe.
    I wonder how they would have reacted to arriving now, only to find their quaint holiday destinaton devoid of chunky Arran jumpers and replaced by groups of Africans hanging around on the corners and niqabs drifting up and down the streets?

Something tells me that there is more then a little self preservation at play in the decision to protest an asylum center being sited on the island.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

timmyntc wrote: »
    It's not xenophobia to be opposed to badly thought out plans - dumping asylum seekers in a remote area like Achill Island with feck all services, public transport or employment prospects hardly makes sense does it?

Put asylum seekers in high density buildings in or near cities - at least there there are some amenities for them.

When the government do that, people complain that it's a waste of money. They can't win.

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    I made a decision three months ago not to pay the TV licence, we are bombarded with cultural Marxism daily on rte and the Irish media in general

They hold us in contempt

"Cultural Marxism." Go on, you can say global Jewry if you want Maxx.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,998 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

Cordell wrote: »
    Well, they can't do that anymore.

they absolutely can.
    what they can't do, and never could do, is expect to be able to do so without the possibility of facing question and challenge, should they choose to say such a thing.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Produce evidence of anything anti semetic I've posted or sit down

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,542 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

Xenophobia no, common sense yes.

🙈🙉🙊

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    Produce evidence of anything anti semetic I've posted or sit down

I just did?

https://jewishcurrents.org/the-lethal-antisemitism-of-cultural-marxism/

https://fair.org/home/cultural-marxism-the-mainstreaming-of-a-nazi-trope/

If you don't want to accused of anti semitism, cut out the anti semetic dog whistles.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,849 ✭✭✭Cordell

they absolutely can.
    what they can't do, and never could do, is expect to be able to do so without the possibility of facing question and challenge, should they choose to say such a thing.

That's fine, but it's rarely only that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Bobblehats

Saw quite a few immigrants on the news there protesting against the accommodation of immigrants. You ok with the importing of xenophobes op?

I just did?

https://jewishcurrents.org/the-lethal-antisemitism-of-cultural-marxism/

https://fair.org/home/cultural-marxism-the-mainstreaming-of-a-nazi-trope/

If you don't want to accused of anti semitism, cut out the anti semetic dog whistles.

Make that unsubstantiated accusation again and Mr report Button gets hit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,381 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

David Stantons words are coming back to haunt him when he said a few years ago that people will just have to accept AS in their communities, now FG are finding out that folks are getting sick of being the last to know when something like this is happening and are fighting back.

I'd say the Government are scratching their heads on this one with an election coming up and most of them rely on the rural vote to get re elected.

Let them have DP centres in the posh areas of Dublin, Cork, Galway and Limerick.

Let them have DP centres in the posh areas of Dublin, Cork, Galway and Limerick.

if there is space and a property with no other future available then yes.
    if not then they go where the space is and the properties are available to host it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 312 ✭✭73bc61lyohr0mu

Eveytime there's talk of putting a Direct Provision centre in a small town or village in Ireland and the locals protest it for legitimate reasons they're called racist, bigot, xenophobic and all the other buzzwords. What do people happy with the massive influx of asylum seekers want? Every small town or village in this country filled with asylum seekers? There needs to be a proper system put in place where people are vetted and given accommodation in areas that have actually infrastructure.. But I suppose its racist to be suggesting such a thing..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭beejee

It's gas how prolonged, repeated messaging can take hold.

No longer can there be any question of IF we should house all these people from light years away often under the shakiness of claims.

It has now shifted to HOW, and only how, it should all go ahead. It's a given, an inevitability that cannot be challenged, apparently.

Mad. Lessons in group manipulation all over the shop here. Bloody effective!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

Nobody is zenophopic as long as foreighners stay foreign. Its only something people become when foreigners move in next door.

One of the things i was proud of in ireland was there was no far right groups.

But looks like we are are xenophobic as the rest of them:

https://www.rte.ie/news/connacht/2019/1031/1087856-achill-asylum-seekers/

Those protestors should hang their heads in shame.

im a bit disappointed the department of justice is bowing to pressure.

These people are heroes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

timmyntc wrote: »
    It's not xenophobia to be opposed to badly thought out plans - dumping asylum seekers in a remote area like Achill Island with feck all services, public transport or employment prospects hardly makes sense does it?

Put asylum seekers in high density buildings in or near cities - at least there there are some amenities for them.

Dont think anyone really buys the idea that people are protesting out of concern for the standards of the asylum seekers. Other posts in the thread mention the number of homeless in Ireland - the protestors arent out making the case for those living on the street, but claim their are concerned about the conditions of someone who would have to suffer living in a hotel. The last thing they are concerned about are the conditions for the asylum seekers. They arent even being honest about their motivation.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,452 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

One of the things i was proud of in ireland was there was no far right groups.

But looks like we are are xenophobic as the rest of them:

https://www.rte.ie/news/connacht/2019/1031/1087856-achill-asylum-seekers/

Those protestors should hang their heads in shame.

im a bit disappointed the department of justice is bowing to pressure.

Maybe people just aren't as free market or libertarian as you on this.

You can go on about solidarity etc but in practice you are of the above.

Easy to pretend it is racism, xenophobia etc etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

Jesus lads be at least honest about it and dont come up with that 'its for their best' and lacking facilities and 'what are they going to do' cr@p. Thats so pathetic.

Dont think anyone really buys the idea that people are protesting out of concern for the standards of the asylum seekers. Other posts in the thread mention the number of homeless in Ireland - the protestors arent out making the case for those living on the street, but claim their are concerned about the conditions of someone who would have to suffer living in a hotel. The last thing they are concerned about are the conditions for the asylum seekers. They arent even being honest about their motivation.

From the days of the Land league, to co-ops and on, working Class people in Mayo have always been interfering with the plans of their self proclaimed betters for them.

• Advertisement

Global Jewry?

You a Jeremy Corbyn fan by any chance?

Eveytime there's talk of putting a Direct Provision centre in a small town or village in Ireland and the locals protest it for legitimate reasons they're called racist, bigot, xenophobic and all the other buzzwords.

i wonder why that might be? could it be because their reasons aren't actually legitimate, and when asked what their reasons and arguments are they are unable to put anything valid forward?
    What do people happy with the massive influx of asylum seekers want? Every small town or village in this country filled with asylum seekers?

no, we just want to be able to house people without nimbys whining.
    There needs to be a proper system put in place where people are vetted and given accommodation in areas that have actually infrastructure.. But I suppose its racist to be suggesting such a thing..

if we housed them in areas with infrastructure people would be complaining about them being housed in areas with infrastructure while our own aren't being so, even though quite rightly they are where possible.
    funnily enough, something tells me it would be some of the people protesting the asylum seekers being housed in the small towns and villages who would be up the front of the protests against housing them in areas with infrastructure.
    if small towns and villages with hardly any infrastructure are good enough for the protesters to live in then why shouldn't they be good enough for those seeking asylum to be housed in until their status is sorted out?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,987 ✭✭✭pgj2015

its only 13 women that are supposed to move to achill, if two non asylum seeker families moved into the area they might have as many, you would think 300 asylum seekers were moving in.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,542 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

One Xenomorph, is one to many as far as I'm concerned.

🙈🙉🙊

beejee wrote: »
    It's gas how prolonged, repeated messaging can take hold.

No longer can there be any question of IF we should house all these people from light years away often under the shakiness of claims.

It has now shifted to HOW, and only how, it should all go ahead. It's a given, an inevitability that cannot be challenged, apparently.

Mad. Lessons in group manipulation all over the shop here. Bloody effective!

Unconditional acceptance of those seeking asylum is an article of faith for the PC Left and that makes it an article of faith for 90% of the media

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,106 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Jesus lads be at least honest about it and dont come up with that 'its for their best' and lacking facilities and 'what are they going to do' cr@p. Thats so pathetic.
    Well I'll be "honest about it", I quite simply don't want Ireland to become yet another sh1tty example of a European "multicultural" society. We've enough trouble as we are, why import more? And it is/will be trouble, as every single other "multicultural" nation has found out. Not least for those who aren't "native", even a few generations in.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Jmsg

Wibbs wrote: »
    Well I'll be "honest about it", I quite simply don't want Ireland to become yet another sh1tty example of a European "multicultural" society. We've enough trouble as we are, why import more? And it is/will be trouble, as every single other "multicultural" nation has found out. Not least for those who aren't "native", even a few generations in.

Saying this 44,000 posts deep into your boards career is a rebellious act to say the least.

Imagine a 2050 RTE late late show broadcast like this:

If you're under 40 or so no need to imagine just wait. It's coming.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 790 ✭✭✭Sciprio

pgj2015 wrote: »
    its only 13 women that are supposed to move to achill, if two non asylum seeker families moved into the area they might have as many, you would think 300 asylum seekers were moving in.
    "
    Communications had been robust “to say the least.”
    There are 39 direct provision centres around the country and they operate with no issue, added Mr Stanton.

“There’s nothing to fear. All these women want is peace and quiet.”

Mr Stanton said he was calling on public representatives “of all political hues across the spectrum” to show their solidarity.
    The Government is working as hard as it can to meet its international obligations “to help these people,” he said.

The contract for the hotel in Achill has been signed and it is for three months.
    “Let’s put in a small number at first,” he urged.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/show-a-bit-of-humanity-minister-calls-on-achill-asylum-seekers-protestors-to-stand-down-961160.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Raconteuse

pgj2015 wrote: »
    I honestly do think that the issue of lack of services is just an excuse to keep the foreigners out, I have seen it in small towns in the west of Ireland, a family moves in from Dublin and the locals wont even talk to them because they are Dubs, what chance do foreigners have?
    You are likely right in regards to some people's views but it is still valid. Tiny villages and towns in the middle of nowhere are ludicrous considerations. There are barely facilities/a local economy for the people already living there. How are these places supposed to carry a group of new people? Where will they work? How will they learn English?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭riemann

Jmsg wrote: »
    Saying this 44,000 posts deep into your boards career is a rebellious act to say the least.

Imagine a 2050 RTE late late show broadcast like this:

If you're under 40 or so no need to imagine just wait. It's coming.

****ing hell that was torture

Advertisement