Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So we have become xenophobics now

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 949 ✭✭✭Woodsie1

pgj2015 wrote: »
    its only 13 women that are supposed to move to achill,

bullsh1t

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Sciprio wrote: »
    "
    Communications had been robust “to say the least.”
    There are 39 direct provision centres around the country and they operate with no issue, added Mr Stanton.

“There’s nothing to fear. All these women want is peace and quiet.”

Mr Stanton said he was calling on public representatives “of all political hues across the spectrum” to show their solidarity.
    The Government is working as hard as it can to meet its international obligations “to help these people,” he said.

Says he who was about to drop 39 single males into Achill at less than 24 hours notice! Now trying emotional blackmail ….

The contract for the hotel in Achill has been signed and it is for three months.
    “Let’s put in a small number at first,” he urged.

Thin end of wedge!
    Shame on him; the Achill coucncillor affirmed at the outset they would welcome families into houses so they could integrate fully

They are showing humanity in this with great dignity

• Registered Users Posts: 33,178 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

riemann wrote: »
    ****ing hell that was torture

... so just like the Late Late Show now.

You'd swear Achill was just off the south coast of Iceland the way some of ye are carrying on.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

we accept NIMBYistic objections to all kinds of things i this country, why not this?

do locals have a right to a say in matters which may impact the demographics, culture and harmony of their community or not?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭riddles

The term asylum seeker should be dispensed with for good. Migrants is a more accurate term. Once they are processed and cleared to stay they will require housing and long term social welfare. They will also return home to visit family in their home towns eventually. There will be potentially a billion or so migrants into Europe by 2030/2040.

Like all challenges media like to frame things in short term brackets as if something done now will act like a magic wand and make things perfect. Direct provisions a system devised for individuals in the know to end up with the most profitable hotels in the world.

Shock horror people want to come here for a better quality of life. We are a small bankrupt state with a significant number of challenges ahead none of which are being addressed because politics is short term. Interesting times ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

riddles wrote: »
    The term asylum seeker should be dispensed with for good. Migrants is a more accurate term. Once they are processed and cleared to stay they will require housing and long term social welfare. They will also return home to visit family in their home towns eventually. There will be potentially a billion or so migrants into Europe by 2030/2040.

Like all challenges media like to frame things in short term brackets as if something done now will act like a magic wand and make things perfect. Direct provisions a system devised for individuals in the know to end up with the most profitable hotels in the world.

Shock horror people want to come here for a better quality of life. We are a small bankrupt state with a significant number of challenges ahead none of which are being addressed because politics is short term. Interesting times ahead.

The DP thing isn't like tax cuts or higher welfare, it's not important to the vast majority of voters, it's an issue for the media and quango class who for their size are hugely influential, media and government sort of have an arrangement

The government prioritises pet causes of the activist media and in return the government get soft treatment from the media in other areas

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

riddles wrote: »
    The term asylum seeker should be dispensed with for good. Migrants is a more accurate term.

True indeed. The perseverence with the official use of the term asylum seeker, is the deceipt that everybody, but everybody, knows is not the case, and so undermines any credibility politicians and officials have when dealing with local representatives or the public. They are lying from the opening by the use of this term. So zero trust from the beginning.

On the other hand, there is also a deceipt on the protestors/locals side in the request for dialogue and communication. Lack of local consultation is a standard bleat. As if, if there were consultation with local parties by the state, then a solution could be found. This is not the case - they complain about a lack of communication even though that communication would only have been a one way street for them to object and obstruct - not find a solution. So in a way, officialdom probably is more effective from its side by avoid engagement, and just push ahead anyway, even if they lose the occastional one like Achill.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,497 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

There was a spokesperson for asylum seekers (Lesley Mkoko) on the news yesterday evening saying that he hasn't been to Hell but being in Direct Provision in Ireland for four years seems to be the closest thing to it.

Worse than wherever he came from? If so, why doesn't he go back? And I don't mean that in a flippant "Go back where you came from!" way. Seriously, if his current situation is the worst he has been in, why doesn't go to somewhere that he can legal be as a full citizen?

True indeed. The perseverence with the official use of the term asylum seeker, is the deceipt that everybody, but everybody, knows is not the case, and so undermines any credibility politicians and officials have when dealing with local representatives or the public. They are lying from the opening by the use of this term. So zero trust from the beginning.

On the other hand, there is also a deceipt on the protestors/locals side in the request for dialogue and communication. Lack of local consultation is a standard bleat. As if, if there were consultation with local parties by the state, then a solution could be found. This is not the case - they complain about a lack of communication even though that communication would only have been a one way street for them to object and obstruct - not find a solution. So in a way, officialdom probably is more effective from its side by avoid engagement, and just push ahead anyway, even if they lose the occastional one like Achill.

Most of the people involved are cheating those who legally observe the work visa application process yet we are expected to be fine and dandy with this queue skipping

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Bobblehats

There was a spokesperson for asylum seekers (Lesley Mkoko) on the news yesterday evening saying that he hasn't been to Hell but being in Direct Provision in Ireland for four years seems to be the closest thing to it.

Worse than wherever he came from? If so, why doesn't he go back? And I don't mean that in a flippant "Go back where you came from!" way. Seriously, if his current situation is the worst he has been in, why doesn't go to somewhere that he can legal be as a full citizen?

I could warn you about these africans all day. Too vocal in trying to change the system; too active in trying change the demograph.

Let me tell you right now we; as a people owe them nothing yet what’ll transpire here is the bizarre situation of some sort of reverse slavery where we are working our arses off for their lifestyle. A dark vision of our future, and in sharp contrast to the oriental woman speaking out against the offloading of the 39 males on achill just prior. It’s reasons like this I generalise into tried and trusted racial stereotypes. I know which I prefer and I know absolutely which I wouldn’t wish upon my worst enemy.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 428 ✭✭blueshade

Bobblehats wrote: »
    I could warn you about these africans all day. Too vocal in trying to change the system; too active in trying change the demograph.

Let me tell you right now we; as a people owe them nothing yet what’ll transpire here is the bizarre situation of some sort of reverse slavery where we are working our arses off for their lifestyle. A dark vision of our future, and in sharp contrast to the oriental woman speaking out against the offloading of the 39 males on achill just prior. It’s reasons like this I generalise into tried and trusted racial stereotypes. I know which I prefer and I know absolutely which I wouldn’t wish upon my worst enemy.

He's in DP that long because he has no entitlement to asylum so he should have been deported long ago. This is about him getting himself enough attention that they eventually give him leave to remain and then he's on the pigs back for life. Just as that liar from Malawi who came here on a student visa then went to Britain, was deported back here for being an illegal, went back to Malawi then came back to Ireland and claimed asylum.

She got caught in her lies when she was running for that PBP crowd or one of the other soap dodger parties in Dublin who claimed that there was an error in her paperwork, error my arse she lied and she got caught lying and she was recently given leave to remain after years of failed appeals.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

Wibbs wrote: »
    Well I'll be "honest about it", I quite simply don't want Ireland to become yet another sh1tty example of a European "multicultural" society. We've enough trouble as we are, why import more? And it is/will be trouble, as every single other "multicultural" nation has found out. Not least for those who aren't "native", even a few generations in.

I accept that. There are problems with immigration and people are justified to be worried about it. I'd have a very liberal stance on these things myself, but even I dont believe that we should sacrifice or even water down our own way of life for the sake of multicultural integration.
    However, I don't think that a few families in temporary housing are the beginning of the end for Irish culture or Irish prosperity. Bit of an overreaction imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,998 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

Bobblehats wrote: »

yeah, yeah, sure.
    africans are going to all sit on the wellfare and all of the irish are going to work to pay for it. dispite plenty of africans working, and some irish not doing so.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

blueshade wrote: »
    He's in DP that long because he has no entitlement to asylum so he should have been deported long ago. This is about him getting himself enough attention that they eventually give him leave to remain and then he's on the pigs back for life. Just as that liar from Malawi who came here on a student visa then went to Britain, was deported back here for being an illegal, went back to Malawi then came back to Ireland and claimed asylum.

She got caught in her lies when she was running for that PBP crowd or one of the other soap dodger parties in Dublin who claimed that there was an error in her paperwork, error my arse she lied and she got caught lying and she was recently given leave to remain after years of failed appeals.

She ran for the social democrats ( the biggest bleeding heart Liberal brigade of the lot of them)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

One of the things i was proud of in ireland was there was no far right groups.

But looks like we are are xenophobic as the rest of them

And you should add Leo's name to the list now.
    (Posted over here in CA):

It seems that Leo Varadkar has now joined the alt-right. He has just finally come out …….. and stated that Georgian and Albanian migrants travelling to Ireland with fake documents are the “big driver” behind the rise in asylum seekers coming to this country. Of course, there is not a peep from the New Left/Liiberal leaning media outlets in the country except for the Irish Independent this morning. Nothing about the story from the Irish Times or the Times Light (Irish Examiner) or the other sources of supposedly unbiased news in our country.

Yet, those of you who do point out the lunacy and unfairness of the current asylum process of putting asylum seekers in unprepared and inadequately resourced villages and towns around the country are apparently “sectarian, racist, knuckle draggers”….. even though it has been statistically proven that the majority of them are fraudsters. There is a cadre of posters on here who advocate that the Irish worker/contributor should pay for a lifetime of welfare/services for these fraudsters; irrespective of the validity of their asylum applications. Sinn Fein’s policy is that no asylum seeker should ever be deported (links on their web site), irrespective of crimes committed by them, including murder and rape.

You will probably find that a substantial portion of the people who are screaming racism at anyone who has the audacity to question anything relating to the obvious scamming done by the majority of asylum seekers are also suckling at the public teat of the Irish worker/contributor or have skin in the game. The asylum industry in Ireland is making a lot of people rich in this country. This is the reason why it needs to be completely overhauled.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Humans have been tribal since the dawn of our history, tens of thousands of years. It didn't just stop in the 80s and 90s because the media and politicians said that you're not allowed to anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

And yet people have moved, even invaded, all the time through history and the initial trauma often was quickly replaced with amalgamation and mutual assimilation. We nowadays celebrate or Viking history. I wouldn't say they were all that welcome when they arrived first.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

Jmsg wrote: »
    Saying this 44,000 posts deep into your boards career is a rebellious act to say the least.

Imagine a 2050 RTE late late show broadcast like this:

If you're under 40 or so no need to imagine just wait. It's coming.
    She is getting absolutely slated in the comments by everyone - men and women of all colours. That was pure cringe and she's not funny. When she gets cancelled she'll blame white males. I guarantee it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

You'd swear Achill was just off the south coast of Iceland the way some of ye are carrying on.
    It might as well be in the middle of winter. The weather is atrocious and if you don't have a car you're fecked. There's barely any bus services. You couldn't get a bus to Galway and return the same day. It's a joke. Putting a load of people in an isolated hotel with literally nothing to do is a bad idea (have you not seen The Shining?). And I don't believe for a second it would just be 13 women for three months.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

The problem is the numbers are being handed to the government by the eu and in the the usual fgff arrogance this is not being communicated to the public properly (like water tax) and thus causing problems.
    I personally think over 20 people per small town is on the heavy side

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,106 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Kivaro wrote: »
    And you should add Leo's name to the list now.
    (Posted over here in CA):
    Yup, but you'll note K, that Leo even here while being forced into stating the bloody obvious stayed within script as he only mentioned White migrants, while avoiding those from Zimbabwe and Nigeria who also figure highly in the stats.
    And yet people have moved, even invaded, all the time through history and the initial trauma often was quickly replaced with amalgamation and mutual assimilation. We nowadays celebrate or Viking history. I wouldn't say they were all that welcome when they arrived first.
    Comparing acts of colonisation and invasion hardly helps your argument. As for amalgamation and mutual assimilation, we're still feeling the effects of the next group of Norsemen who "moved" here. And frankly I'm in no mood to wait around centuries for "amalgamation and mutual assimilation" when the actual real life evidence of the many social ills are plain to see in all the other European nations living with "multiculturalism". Certainly not for some lame brained ideology, an ideology that has failed. Though sadly the influx during the boom already sowed the seeds of that. However we can at least make a stand now and say no more thanks. So I support the local protesters wherever the vested interests in business and government blatantly ride roughshod over this nation's wishes, locally and nationally. If there was such a centre to be forced into my area I'd be right there with them.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,106 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

yeah, yeah, sure.
    africans are going to all sit on the wellfare and all of the irish are going to work to pay for it. dispite plenty of africans working, and some irish not doing so.
    The plain facts are that in multicultural societies the decades of stats show that East Asians are the least likely to be non working, the least likely to cause and bear the brunt of social issues, followed by White Europeans, followed at some distance by Black Africans. This is a clear trend in every single example of a multicultural society, from European colonies like the Americas to European nations who've brought this upon themselves.

White racism? Sure, it certainly has a large influence, but let's imagine we wear our sackcloth and ashes and say it's all the fault of Whitey, that still doesn't provide any solution beyond naive notions of somehow we'll be different. We won't. If anything the Irish will be worse as far as parochialism goes. So again, why import this failed nonsense and make things worse for ourselves and the migrants coming here? It's beyond moronic.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

Jounalists, Academics, Politicians, Trade Unionists, Arts movers & shakers and NGO apparatchiks find interacting with migrants serves mostly to amplify their power and bolster their social standing among their peers.

By contrast, many of those at the sharp end of an open borders policy find themselves in competition for work, health provision and housing, while witnessing first hand how their communities are markedly altered by the volume and rate of the inflow.

We need a system where those fleeing war or persecution are assessed and settled quickly and the blaggards and chancers who do harm to those in genuine need of refuge are sent packing sharpish.

The problem is the numbers are being handed to the government by the eu and in the the usual fgff arrogance this is not being communicated to the public properly (like water tax) and thus causing problems.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

We negotiated an opt-out with the EU on matters justice and immigration, so AFAIK, we are not under any obligation to hit quotas when it comes to resettlement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭Gynoid

I am not clear about what happened in Marrakesh. Some say the conflation of refugee and economic migrant, others say one is Hitler for even suggesting that. Global Compact for Migration, Dec 2018. At the very least there seems to be a language subtlety whereby we are supposed to move away from the definition legal vs illegal migration and instead use regular vs irregular migration. The extra national imposition of rules in this regard troubles me, as it does with other issues which diminish sovereignty. Then again national sovereignty seems to be a dirty concept nowadays. Hard to keep up with the happy clappy stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

There is so much wrong with this. Apart from any issues with invasions. Ireland has very a long history of division caused by it.

Paddy Cow wrote: »
    She is getting absolutely slated in the comments by everyone - men and women of all colours. That was pure cringe and she's not funny. When she gets cancelled she'll blame white males. I guarantee it.

what an absolute cnt, that was painful.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

We are a new diverse society. That ship has sailed. The Ireland that was pre 2000 no longer exists. Perhaps some remote area haven't realised this yet. But the Ireland they think exists has vanished.

Advertisement