Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Asylum Seekers Getting Apartments in Ballinamore - mod warning in OP (18/10)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,417 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Boggles wrote: »
    I never asked you to, I'm just pointing out your "sources" in the past have been less than accurate.

Anyway I have to go chop some wood (great workout).

If u are interested in the courtown issue then pm me don’t flood this thread with off topic stuff

Gatling wrote: »
    Had anyone seen the alleged threats at all ?

It’s all very vague and mysterious. I think ppl have wised up to a lot of this craic these days

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Boggles wrote: »
    The Gardaí.

Are you claiming he wasn't threatening?

No but it would be interesting to see the actual threat was it written by a child or some poor sod with access to a keyboard and Twitter.

Get the feeling we will hear nothing about this going forward other than some grandstanding in the dail about the far right

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

They’ve been told by the state that they are being deported. Call me crazy but those deportations should be enforced.

They should indeed but isn't part of the problem that applicants can appeal. The initial decisions seem to be made reasonably quickly, but an appeal is made and then the application goes into limbo for a period of years. In the meantime, the applicant puts down roots and builds local connections etc. I think we need to invest in a process that delivers speedy and just adjudications and no appeal system. You're either in and get full state supports quickly or you're out and deported quickly.

But again ppl on this thread seem to totally dismiss what local ppl think on such issues so dismiss away!!

Some locals, like I said, the loudest ones.
    I believe Gordon Hughes claimed on TV that there were 'better suited accommodation available '
    I wonder would it be any of the places in his books?

• Advertisement

Death threats & criminal damage to Quinn holding directors & everyone (rightly) condemns.
    Death threats & criminal damage to a TD & no-one believes it.
    Both in the same area.

Typical posters on here just believing whatever they feel like, no matter the evidence.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,866 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

If u are interested in the courtown issue then pm me don’t flood this thread with off topic stuff

Ah. Your grand. I'm pretty sure you know absolutely nothing about it as evidenced by you all ready spreading large demonstrable false information.
    No but it would be interesting to see the actual threat was it written by a child or some poor sod with access to a keyboard and Twitter.

It was a text message. Why would a child write it, or what would be "poor" about the "sod" who might have sent it?

Get the feeling we will hear nothing about this going forward other than some grandstanding in the dail about the far right

Why?

Boggles not interested in a back and forth with you personally to be quite honest

Back on the issue - the Likes of that td need to step back and reflect on their position and maybe either support the locals or else stand down. There’s a whole rake of other issues bubbling away in the background in that constituency also which I hadn’t been aware of. Best he stands down.

Boggles not interested in a back and forth with you personally to be quite honest

Why did you ask me to PM you so. :confused:
    Back on the issue - the Likes of that td need to step back and reflect on their position and maybe either support the locals or else stand down. There’s a whole rake of other issues bubbling away in the background in that constituency also which I hadn’t been aware of. Best he stands down.

Why would he stand down and apologize like you said earlier?

What has he done wrong?

He’s done a heap wrong if reports are to go by

But also he has expressed views the locals are not at all happy with.

Not condoning the attack but just goes to show the level of discontent, anger and pure utter frustration there it’s not good to put it mildly

Ffs elected reps listen to the ppl for once!!

Otherwise things could go really downhill. Nobody wants that

• Advertisement

He’s done a heap wrong if reports are to go by

Go on so. List them, what exactly has he done wrong that he should stand down and apologize?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

ChikiChiki wrote: »
    Yes, what's the point otherwise?? If people come to Ireland are willing to learn our culture and share their culture then I have no problem with them becoming Irish. They also need to contribute to society and our tax system.

Chances are they've absolutely no interest in learning about Irish culture or heritage. Turning them away on those grounds doesn't really fit in with the image of the modern, progressive and multi-cultural Ireland that we keep hearing about. Ireland has one of the fastest growing economies in the world and it is one of the richest countries in the world. It has never been in a better position to take in asylum seekers. Time to step up to the plate.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 JOBSOXO

Ballinamore town itself is probably more FG stronghold than parts of surrounding area. Pat Joe Reynolds FG TD, his mother & son Gerry & McCartins always got elected & indeed one of them is currently a cllr. Most of campaign against centre is led by FG supporters but does include all shades of political opinion in the area. Some believe 130 is too many (which I tend to agree with) & would have no problem with 5 families initially. Others are racist & don't want any in the area, Others fear change or feel they are supporting their community & are been whipped up. Its a bit like Ireland in general, Nothing unique about the place. Except it has empty apartment complex for last 10 years & developer see's opportunity.

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭Slowyourrole

No way a TD should give in to terrorism and stand down because his opinion was met with violence.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,040 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Had an early morning phone call from a friend/ex work colleague who lives near the town in question.

Said the locals are beyond disgusted with this sf tds activities in the last while.

Apparently locally he’s well known for being a drama and attention hoor. Ppl are exasperated at this stage and just want him to step down.

But again ppl on this thread seem to totally dismiss what local ppl think on such issues so dismiss away!!

It’ll come back to bite them in the next election by the sounds of it.

Ok

That doesnt mean death threats or arson excusable

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 27,347 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Berserker wrote: »
    Chances are they've absolutely no interest in learning about Irish culture or heritage. Turning them away on those grounds doesn't really fit in with the image of the modern, progressive and multi-cultural Ireland that we keep hearing about. Ireland has one of the fastest growing economies in the world and it is one of the richest countries in the world. It has never been in a better position to take in asylum seekers. Time to step up to the plate.

Some interesting statistics

https://www.cso.ie/en/releasesandpublications/ep/p-cp7md/p7md/p7anii/

"Leitrim (3,526) and Sligo (5,892) had the lowest numbers of non-Irish nationals."

Leitrim could do with an influx of outsiders.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/social-affairs/religion-and-beliefs/almost-one-in-eight-living-in-ireland-hail-from-abroad-1.2471339

"The European statistics agency said that at 11.8 per cent of the population, Ireland had the sixth highest proportion of foreign nationals."

So we are pretty good in general at welcoming immigrants.

Kenny says he is getting huge support and will continue to call out racist pond scum.

Fair play to him.

JOBSOXO wrote: »
    Most of campaign against centre is led by FG supporters but does include all shades of political opinion in the area.

I love this stuff. Yeah, FG that well known far right party is out there whipping up anti-AS sentiment.

Blanch and Berserker simple question

Would you have one of these centres full of military age idle single men next door to your house?

You would in your...

Fooling nobody

• Registered Users Posts: 16,146 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

You think an SF TD would be allowed to defy the party line on immigration? Remember what happened to Peadar Toibin...

• Advertisement

bubblypop wrote: »

Typical posters on here just believing whatever they feel like, no matter the evidence.

The biggest issue is total lack of any evidence to back up various claims .

Can't be expected to take spoofers seriously

Would you have one of these centres full of military age idle single men next door to your house?

You would in your...

Fooling nobody

I didn't indicate support for or against anything.

I am struggling to reconcile the apparent widespread outrage at the EP vote on the Med with the events in Rooskey, Oughterard and Ballinamore.

Irish people appear to be speaking with forked tongues again.

Is it an urban/rural divide? I live in Fingal, where one sixth of the population is foreign-born. On the bus, I hear multiple tongues. In the shops I meet all sorts of people. Non-nationals are a huge part of everyday life for me. I have no issue with any of that.

I am a little concerned at the pace of immigration, and also about the future of Western European culture and norms, but that may be just the anxiety of an old man less comfortable with change than anything else. Many rural parts of Ireland need new thinking and new people. Immigrants can play a large part in that.

You would in your...

Fooling nobody

I would.
    Why would you not?

The biggest issue is total lack of any evidence to back up various claims .

Can't be expected to take spoofers seriously

So what are Gardai investigating then?

You would in your...s

Fooling nobody

I have non-nationals living on my road. They are quiet people who keep to themselves. More than happy to have them. I live in Dublin and I've plenty of idle middle-aged Irish people living near me, so another few wouldn't bother me. Why would you not want them near you?
    blanch152 wrote: »
    "Leitrim (3,526) and Sligo (5,892) had the lowest numbers of non-Irish nationals."

Leitrim could do with an influx of outsiders.

"The European statistics agency said that at 11.8 per cent of the population, Ireland had the sixth highest proportion of foreign nationals."

So we are pretty good in general at welcoming immigrants.

Interesting stat about Ireland as a whole, many thanks for this. Looks like the decision to set up a centre like this in Leitrim is the correct thing to do. The numbers add up.

Interesting stat about Ireland as a whole, many thanks for this. Looks like the decision to set up a centre like this in Leitrim is the correct thing to do. The numbers add up.

Too often in these debates, the facts get lost.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭1641

I seems the local parish Priest has had a change of mind. The situation must be difficult for him o fair play.

"Last night, parish priest of Ballinamore Fr Sean Mawn said it was time for local people to review their decision to have a round-the-clock protest. And he condemned the apparent arson attack on Mr Kenny’s car as a “despicable act which has no place in civilised society” but he stressed that this “thuggery” was, he believed, a separate issue to the ongoing protest.

Fr Sean Mawn said he believed Mr Kenny was “a decent man”.

“I thought he spoke brilliantly and he spoke with compassion,” said Fr Mawn
    who had pledged his support to the local community group opposing the asylum accommodation plan.

Fr Mawn said there had been “no fear mongering in Ballinamore” but he believed there had been “a certain anger and a certain annoyance” because of the lack of consultation by the Government and concerns about the numbers of asylum seekers being proposed.

But he said following the meeting with the Minister he though it was time to “review’ the protest.

Asked if he had any concerns about backing the protest given it might add to the trauma for asylum seekers expecting to be located there, Fr Mawn said, “I do feel it is time to review it because of that fear that it might be misinterpreted. It is time to look at it again”

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/political-leaders-condemn-apparent-arson-attack-on-sinn-f%C3%A9in-td-s-car-1.4065195

I have non-nationals living on my road. They are quiet people who keep to themselves. More than happy to have them. I live in Dublin and I've plenty of idle middle-aged Irish people living near me, so another few wouldn't bother me. Why would you not want them near you?

Ballinamore has a population of 910.

One sixth of the population of Fingal is non-national.

That is the equivalent of 151 non-nationals in Ballinamore.

The proposed centre will hold 130.

It's not a center. It's 20-25 self contained 3-4 apartments.

Which have been left idle for 10 years.

Leitrim towns and villages have been campaigning for years for people to move into their localities, including Ballinamore. Suddenly that has been paused, services, something, etc.

• Advertisement

bubblypop wrote: »
    So what are Gardai investigating then?

I wasn't referencing the gardai investigation

Advertisement