Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Six TD's and senators forced to refund illegitimate expense claims

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭WishUWereHere

Pedro K wrote: »
    Also Paddy; some TDs are just party drones with no influence.

The irony of you referring to anyone else as a party drone, by the way. Have you ever publicly criticised anything anyone in FG has done?

I also wonder can Paddy EVER refer to someone who disagrees with his line of thought by name and NOT name calling?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

Enda's bloated expenses should be audited too but that will never happen.

You can just imagine him coming up every now and then to play cards in the Dail bar with a few other backbenchers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭Pintman Paddy Losty

Kenny had (maybe even still has) an apartment in D2, so should he still get travelling expenses?

Properties require investment. Mortgages, upkeep costs, cleaners etc. They're not free. Particularly in Dublin.

Why is everyone making this about Enda Kenny. All TDs are entitled to (and claim) this expense.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,361 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Properties require investment. Mortgages, upkeep costs, cleaners etc. They're not free. Particularly in Dublin.

Why is everyone making this about Enda Kenny. All TDs are entitled to (and claim) this expense.

Ah, stop, how are defending this to the extent that you are? The optics aren't good - as they say - is barely there to vote in the Dáil, but yet claims every last penny. Some of it seems pure dodge as well, from the RTÉ report -
    Two of those trips involved instances where Mr Kenny had also recorded his attendance at Leinster House. In May 2018, he was paid for a speaking event at a two-day conference in Zurich, Switzerland, hosted by Credit Suisse.

He's getting flack because he's a high profile figure, but hopefully he won't be the last one put under the microscope.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Arghus wrote: »
    Ah, stop, how are defending this to the extent that you are? The optics aren't good - as they say - is barely there to vote in the D, but yet claims every last penny. Some of it seems pure dodge as well, from the RTreport -

He's getting flack because he's a high profile figure, but hopefully he won't be the last one put under the microscope.

Enda is some pup, not only can be recall vivid conversation with folk in specific places that never happened, it seems he can also be in two places at the same time.
    In November 2018, Mr Kenny had a speaking event in London. This event was called "JP Morgan: Best of British Conference," and on this day, Mr Kenny's attendance was recorded in Leinster House. Despite this, he missed all three D votes that day, two of which related to Brexit.

Enda is no better than the rest of em, in it for the gravy.
    RTInvestigates put a series of questions to Mr Kenny and asked him to respond. He declined to do so.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭pablo128

Enda is some pup, not only can be recall vivid conversation with folk in specific places that never happened, it seems he can also be in two places at the same time.

That's just plain fraud. A criminal act.

There was an elderly woman put into prison only this week for defrauding the state over 100k in welfare payments, even though she had repaid 10s of thousands. I don't disagree with her sentence, but the reality is she is no different to any of these scamming politicians who are fraudulently claiming allowances.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Enda's bloated expenses should be audited too but that will never happen.

You can just imagine him coming up every now and then to play cards in the Dail bar with a few other backbenchers.
    I imagine it has been done at some point. Given how long he's been in the Dail he knows what he's allowed. It's the TAA and they are well within what any TD, who is not an office holder is entitled to.

pablo128 wrote: »
    That's just plain fraud. A criminal act.

There was an elderly woman put into prison only this week for defrauding the state over 100k in welfare payments, even though she had repaid 10s of thousands. I don't disagree with her sentence, but the reality is she is no different to any of these scamming politicians who are fraudulently claiming allowances.
    How is it fraud? The rules require them to sign in once a day to claim.

is_that_so wrote: »
    How is it fraud? The rules require them to sign in once a day to claim.

How is he signing in if he's in a different country?

How is he signing in if he's in a different country?
    Are you confusing the voting carry-on with signing into the building?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

I imagine it has been done at some point. Given how long he's been in the Dail he knows what he's allowed. It's the TAA and they are well within what any TD, who is not an office holder is entitled to.

There is no way he has been audited since he went into semi retirement. He missed 96% of the votes ffs. Why does he even bother going to Dublin? He is milking the system and we all know it. His fellow Mayo Fine Gael TD Mulherins can give him tips on expense fraud.

Edit: Mulherin lost her seat in 2016 over the expense lies but Enda made her a senator. In the Seanad he tried to abolish but made a mess of it.

Are you confusing the voting carry-on with signing into the building?

No but I think you are. Read the post previous to my one that you quoted.

Basically, your beloved Enda was recorded as being in the Dail on 2 occasions at least when he wasn't even in the country. He was being paid to speak at events abroad.

There is no way he has been audited since he went into semi retirement. He missed 96% of the votes ffs. Why does he even bother going to Dublin? He is milking the system and we all know it. His fellow Mayo TD Mulherrins can give him tips on expense fraud.
    On actual numbers it's well within the allowance. By that logic as are they all. The voting thing is a moot point given how many votes this government has regularly lost. The FF abstentions at times can also limit the need to have a full vote from all of FG.

No but I think you are. Read the post previous to my one that you quoted.

Basically, your beloved Enda was recorded as being in the Dail on 2 occasions at least when he wasn't even in the country. He was being paid to speak at events abroad.
    Well I've no explanation for that and neither do you although being a systems person that's where I'd be looking first and after that a wee chat with Kenny. He's not my anything, I'm just going with facts. Some people break out in all sorts of allergic reactions to facts.

EDIT: Here's the bit on when they can login
    In order to receive their TAA, Members must personally record their attendance in Leinster House once daily at any time during the day or evening when Leinster House is open. This can be done on a time terminal or by signing the Daily Attendance Record.

Well I've no explanation for that and neither do you although being a systems person that's where I'd be looking first and after that a wee chat with Kenny. He's not my anything, I'm just going with facts. Some people break out in all sorts of allergic reactions to facts.

You're right. There's no rational explanation. But the only people who should be chatting to Enda are the Garda Siochana at this point to investigate what looks to be plain fraud.

AND, he lived in D2, could walk in 10 minutes to DE, and claimed travel expenses??? FFS, how expensive are a pair of shoes?

There is no way he has been audited since he went into semi retirement. He missed 96% of the votes ffs. Why does he even bother going to Dublin? He is milking the system and we all know it. His fellow Mayo Fine Gael TD Mulherins can give him tips on expense fraud.

Edit: Mulherin lost her seat in 2016 over the expense lies but Enda made her a senator. In the Seanad he tried to abolish but made a mess of it.

And the same mulherin was recently in the news again, over expense claims....a leopard never ch@nges it’s spots.

You're right. There's no rational explanation. But the only people who should be chatting to Enda are the Garda Siochana at this point to investigate what looks to be plain fraud.
    I actually think that period of grace probably covers it and signing in at 8.58 p.m. when the Dail wraps up at 9 p.m. is acceptable under the current rules. Whether it should be is another conversation.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,704 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Anyone on a salary of 96,000 a year should not get expenses, end of.

Jesus wept.

padd b1975 wrote: »
    Jesus wept.

Meaning?

• Advertisement

Meaning?

You think the minister for foreign affairs for example should pay his own expenses??

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

You think the minister for foreign affairs for example should pay his own expenses??

I think some of the ‘chaps’ around here won’t be happy until politicians take a vow of poverty and make themselves available for a weekly public humiliation in the Square of the town they are from.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,291 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

TDs hold very important and responsible roles. In the private sector they could probably earn multiples of what the earn as a TD.

s.
    Whilst I don’t have a massive issue with this expenses thing we should be clear that a hell of a lot of politicians wouldn’t be captains of industry in the private sector. The one ye are talking about if he wasn’t a politician would be at best a school principal at this stage, a perfectly fine job and not for stupid people but he wouldn’t be earning a multiple of his current salary just a percentage of it.

:cool:u

Where does anyone insinuate that the said minister mentioned above should pay his/her expenses?

However, think Callelly and the whole expense controversy explodes.

:cool:u

Where does anyone insinuate that the said minister mentioned above should pay his/her expenses?

He earns more than €96,000.

Anyone earning above that should have to pay was the rationale.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,965 ✭✭✭malinheader

I think some of the ‘chaps’ around here won’t be happy until politicians take a vow of poverty and make themselves available for a weekly public humiliation in the Square of the town they are from.

No.but some of the chaps on here are sick of seeing tax payers money squandered by our ministers. Why is this so hard to grasp. Perhaps some chaps on here on the gravy train too

He earns more than €96,000.

Anyone earning above that should have to pay was the rationale.

Ok leave out the minister for foreign affairs. What's your view on the ones who are based at home and there expenses.

Ok leave out the minister for foreign affairs. What's your view on the ones who are based at home and there expenses.

Should Leo Varadkar be left out too?

It can't be cheap traveling to Brexit meetings,European summits etc etc.

How about Heather Humphreys (Enterprise minister)?

I'd say there's a fair amount of overseas networking involved in her ministry on the international stage.

Should she be paying her expenses for that?
    I certainly don't.

Maybe it was Michael Ring (Tourism) that you had in your sights?
    Plenty of travel involved there, both national and international.

You're on your own there Mick! says MH.

Should Leo Varadkar be left out too?

It can't be cheap traveling to Brexit meetings,European summits etc etc.

How about Heather Humphreys (Enterprise minister)?

I'd say there's a fair amount of overseas networking involved in her ministry on the international stage.

Should she be paying her expenses for that?
    I certainly don't.

Maybe it was Michael Ring (Tourism) that you had in your sights?
    Plenty of travel involved there, both national and international.

You're on your own there Mick! says MH.
    Yeah and as you know they are all well looked after for their travels. No expense spared. You know there are plenty milking the system big time in this country with their expenses . But then again plenty willing to turn a blind eye.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,569 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

A vow of poverty? Most of them have enough gravy accumulated already to do them a lifetime.
    As for the public humiliation they do that themselves so often it spares us doing it.

Advertisement