Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Six TD's and senators forced to refund illegitimate expense claims

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭Scoundrel

Personally doubt that, but might well be proven wrong in it, even as a senator she'll be in the public eye.

Maybe a nice anono role as a high paying 'special adviser' or senior civil servants job, she's been a millstone around the party's neck now for over five months, shunting her into a role of senator surely wouldn't be doing themselves any favours?

No one cares about the Seanad most people couldn't even name a senator sure isn't that where they dumped the fornication woman?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,015 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

This is so sad. Neither Bailey nor Fine Gael are thinking what's best for the constituents. It's all about self entitlement and connections. I know it's fantasy, but a genuine decent public representative in Bailey's position might say, "It shouldn't be about me. I'm a distraction to the job." and step aside. Yeah I know that's not reality, but it would be nice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

See Leo bottled it and won't call an election before Christmas. Bailey safe for another while.
    Report is in the Indo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭Pintman Paddy Losty

This is good news for the party. Good to move on from this non-issue/distraction.

This is good news for the party. Good to move on from this non-issue/distraction.

Ah yes moving on, I see Hildegarde Naughten FG had to recuse herself on legal advice from the ethics committee looking into the voting controversy as she admitted to doing the same thing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭Pintman Paddy Losty

Ah yes moving on, I see Hildegarde Naughten FG had to recuse herself on legal advice from the ethics committee looking into the voting controversy as she admitted to doing the same thing.

You're in the wrong thread PTD. This is (apparently) about TD expenses. But as usual it's become a dumping ground for whatever half-thought out rant people want to spew.

You're in the wrong thread PTD. This is (apparently) about TD expenses. But as usual it's become a dumping ground for whatever half-thought out rant people want to spew.

My bad couldn't find the other one, just thought I'd share another example of why the party of law and order have no right to try and occupy the high moral ground. However neither half thought out or a rant all factual Paddy unlike some of your own nonsensical ramblings. ;-)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

That's mad. The voting controversy has really backfired for FG.

Didn't Naughton get some chair position from Bailey?

That's mad. The voting controversy has really backfired for FG.

Didn't Naughton get some chair position from Bailey?

Chair of the ethics committee. She still is chair, just not allowed to take part in the investigation. He without sin and all that.

Chair of the ethics committee. She still is chair, just not allowed to take part in the investigation. He without sin and all that.

Priceless!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,891 ✭✭✭malinheader

Rte news reporting this morning on the claiming of expenses when not there. Or maybe not there.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Rte news reporting this morning on the claiming of expenses when not there. Or maybe not there.

We know Enda was in two places simultaneously, so there's that. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• Registered Users Posts: 4,891 ✭✭✭malinheader

Some carry on. The whole list of payments and votes missed are on the rte news page.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

Some carry on. The whole list of payments and votes missed are on the rte news page.

That chart is pretty damming. Crooks,the whole lot of them..

I had a look, it would make your blood boil the behaviour of these . Enriching themselves seems to be their only goal because addressing the problems faced by the general public is clearly of no interest to them.

It is pretty disgusting.

Our political system is dysfunctional.

Enda preaching 'new politics' for years and subsequently turns up the Dail just to register travel expenses.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

That chart is pretty damming. Crooks,the whole lot of them..

Leo doesn't want an election because why???????

Believe it or not, in a conversation with with Mrs. O on Monday, this wery topic came up and I said the very same thing to her. The wheels will come off the FG gravy train when theres a election, hes giving the squirrels a chance to gather more nuts ;).
    Speaking of nuts,I'm taking cover now. :):)

MM doesn't want one till April , although I'd imagine he's hoping for collective amnesia regarding the voting irregularities rather than attendance expenses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

is_that_so wrote: »
    No, there's no suggestion he hasn't been there but he hasn't voted very much at all. Most of them are off elsewhere a lot of the time anyway, typically in their offices. He's logged in enough times to claim expenses he would be entitled to.

Ah yes, but can we be sure that Enda himself had logged in?? After Votegate I don't think so.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

The two Healy Raes are surely taking the piss altogether. Near enough €100K in travel expenses each and they don't bother to vote most of the time. They might as well join the other party that doesn't bother to represent it's electorate much.

Presumably also means any TDs doing this don't have to bother reading up on legislation they're not voting on. Except maybe a cursory glance.

BarryD2 wrote: »
    The two Healy Raes are surely taking the piss altogether. Near enough €100K in travel expenses each and they don't bother to vote most of the time. They might as well join the other party that doesn't bother to represent it's electorate much.

Presumably also means any TDs doing this don't have to bother reading up on legislation they're not voting on. Except maybe a cursory glance.

The HR's claiming the exact same amount.!
    I not a great believer in coincidence. ;)

Ah yes, but can we be sure that Enda himself had logged in?? After Votegate I don't think so.

They use a fob to log in, wonder has it ever crossed any of their minds to have a friend Tao their fob aswell as their own. Like they were willing to cast votes for each other making a mockery of the democratic system not a stretch to think they would help each other claim expenses.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭Kenny B

Do the Healy R boys log in, do a 180 and hit for the motorway or do they hang around for the day.

Get their toll tags and see how soon after they get tagged at Portlaoise Toll.

Kenny B wrote: »
    Do the Healy R boys log in, do a 180 and hit for the motorway or do they hang around for the day.

I like how you assume they... ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

We know Enda was in two places simultaneously, so there's that. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Rules allow them to log in until the Dail closes so not hard to figure out.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭Kenny B

I like how you assume they... ;-)

I believe in Santa,

Kenny B wrote: »

Well as the rules work they could be there on a Wednesday, stay over, tag in for 10.30 on the Thursday and be gone from then for the weekend.

They use a fob to log in, wonder has it ever crossed any of their minds to have a friend Tao their fob aswell as their own. Like they were willing to cast votes for each other making a mockery of the democratic system not a stretch to think they would help each other claim expenses.
    There are two things at work here, logging into the building and being present in the Chamber. The former is what pays the expenses.

• Advertisement

Into the building I'd say so as they would go after that. The voting is just slapdash carry on and unacceptable. As I've said huge systems failure.

Advertisement