Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Six TD's and senators forced to refund illegitimate expense claims

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭Pintman Paddy Losty

So to recap, even though the report vindicated Maria of any wrong doing, (your words) and the whole storm in a teacup or nothingness will be blown over and forgot about after summer recess (still your words) Bailey should still be made to walk the plank?

Like don't get me wrong, you were pretty much just pissin into the wind with your predictions about how and when people would still be discussing this, that was a guess to be fair, and you got it woefully wrong.

The startling thing for me (and j guess I ain't alone on it) is your earlier assesment of the report leo commissioned on Bailey, and despite not seeing it - you were pretty adamant, extremely adamant in fact that it completely exonerated her - and she had been vindicated, and people really should just move on.

As far as I know, there's not been much of the reports details having being leaked at this stage, and apart from the expense story, where she was seen to be trying to claw back a couple of grand she was not entitled to, which you explained away as a "simple miscalculation".

You've been pretty emphatic on your support for deputy Bailey for five months now, holding her buried report as having exonerated her, and the miscalculations excuse for the expense stroke, but suddenly you now say she's gotta go.

That's some turning point, for no real reason (that I can see anyway).

Was it a slow turning point Paddy, or do you reckon you can pinpoint the exact moment and time you found yourself on the road to Damascus?

Discuss.

Fair play to you writing all that out Jessica Fletcher.

Don't know whats confusing you though. The fact that I said the report exonerated her and the fact that I'm glad to hear she will be removed from the ticket aren't mutually exclusive.

Just a bit of realpolitik (that means politics based on practical rather than moral or ideological considerations. ;) ) means that as a Fine Gael member I'm glad she won't be on the ticket for the next GE.

It's simple stuff Johnny.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Don't know whats confusing you though. The fact that I said the report exonerated her and the fact that I'm glad to hear she will be removed from the ticket aren't mutually exclusive.

Just a bit of realpolitik (that means politics based on practical rather than moral or ideological considerations. ;) ) means that as a Fine Gael member I'm glad she won't be on the ticket for the next GE.

So you want to see an exonerated woman removed from the ticket, just because.

Seems legit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,015 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

Seems legit.

What ever they decide is right. And if they decide different, that's right too.

Or to reference literature:
    Whatever the Party holds to be the truth, is truth. It is impossible to see reality except by looking through the eyes of the Party.
    1984 - Part 3, Chapter 2 - George Orwell

• Registered Users Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭Pedro K

Fair play to you writing all that out Jessica Fletcher.

Party before anything else then, it seems.

Looks like Bailey will be off the ticket and replaced by Councillor Jennifer O'Neill. According to today's Indo.

I wonder if anyone's told Maria this yet?

I wouldn't think she'll be the type to go quietly. She worked so hard for that seat after all, that's hers by right.

Things could get messy for mother Madigan if this be the case.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

I wonder if anyone's told Maria this yet?

I wouldn't think she'll be the type to go quietly. She worked so hard for that seat after all, that's hers by right.

Things could get messy for mother Madigan if this be the case.

Could get dirty alright.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

Well deserved. Still nothing from FG on resolving insurance fraud though. They will regret that in GE20.

• Registered Users Posts: 85,125 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

I thought Jerry Buttimer (Cork) was gone, resigned as he lost his seat in elections

• Registered Users Posts: 8,179 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

Seems legit.

Just a bit of realpolitik, politics based on practical rather than moral or ideological considerations

pretty simple...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,490 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Paddy, there is a shockingly condescending tone to many of your posts but this one really combines that and the sense of a drowning man standing on his crew mates shoulders to survive in a sad pastiche of finally seeing the light ;)

The time for RealPolitik was when Bailey's honesty, candour and integrity were exposed for the shams they are.
    Instead FG pulled every delaying tactic possible to push it out and hope it would drop out of the news cycle.

The lack of strong or even effective leadership has been laid bare.
    That the decision to drop Bailey was left to Machiavellian local level back stabbing?
    Rather than ruled on definitively one way or the other after the report, i.e back her or sack her!

Really only leads to speculation that she held feet of senior colleagues to the fire and they took no action for fear of fallout.

That her oustier was left to backroom "local" machinations only compounds that impression.

In a week that FF have been found to be fiddling votes, Bailey is still the political headline.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

banie01 wrote: »
    In a week that FF have been found to be fiddling votes, Bailey is still the political headline.

They are all at that voting nonsense.
    Deputies including Fine Gael’s Hildegarde Naughten, Peter Burke and Fergus O’Dowd, Fianna Fáil’s Anne Rabbitte and James Lawless, as well as Sinn Féin’s Louise O’Reilly, said they may have pressed a colleague’s voting button but only when they were actually in the chamber.

But yeah Bailey continues to make headlines. I am not sure why Farrell (FG) gets away so lightly - his completely bona fides insurance claim was arguably worse because he won his case and took the money.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,613 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

banie01 wrote: »

Not a fan of FF but Thomas Byrne made the salient point on Claire Byrne last night that Michael Martin dealt with the voting fraud allegations in under 24 hours whereas Leo Varakar is now 20 weeks into the alleged insurance fraud and he still hasnt dealt with it. Varadkar is making Martin actually look like a decisive leader.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,287 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Not a fan of FF but Thomas Byrne made the salient point on Claire Byrne last night that Michael Martin dealt with the voting fraud allegations in under 24 hours whereas Leo Varakar is now 20 weeks into the alleged insurance fraud and he still hasnt dealt with it. Varadkar is making Martin actually look like a decisive leader.

Funnily it’s all optics, Martin actually did sod all as the two were bang to rights but he did his sod all quickly. Although he then did nothing when more of the same came out. Similarly LV really did sod all but dragged his heels thinking it was going to go away so ruined the optics of what little he did.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

FG and Sinn Fein/IRA demanding answers from FF :). They both have some neck,but we already know that !

Just a bit of realpolitik, politics based on practical rather than moral or ideological considerations

pretty simple...

Yeah but law and order and that was the Fine Gael shtick. Now all they are is a poor man's Fianna Fail.

• Registered Users Posts: 662 ✭✭✭Jay Dee

One Down......

Jay Dee wrote: »
    One Down......

Some one resign?

Jay Dee wrote: »
    One Down......

She'll be back up running again in a couple of weeks, don't worry about it.

Am I homer and this is the No Homers club?
    Who, what, when?

• Advertisement

I'm I homer and this is the No Homers club?
    Who, what, when?

Sorry, I thought when I read "one down" someone had fallen off a swing again or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭Pintman Paddy Losty

Well it appears despite the prophetic and vociferous warnings from the resident political pundits in here FG is still polling strong.

https://www.rte.ie/news/2019/1026/1085837-red-c-poll/

8 points clear of FF and the shinners languishing at 11 points.

No doubt, as I've said many many times on this thread, it's because Paul and Petunia Taxpayer care more about real issues like brexit and the economy than the tabloid outrage headlines.

I'm calling it now. The next government will be FG lead with support from the greens and independents or Labour.

Another term for the shinners in the cheap seats of the Dail.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,039 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Well it appears despite the prophetic and vociferous warnings from the resident political pundits in here FG is still polling strong.

https://www.rte.ie/news/2019/1026/1085837-red-c-poll/

8 points clear of FF and the shinners languishing at 11 points.

No doubt, as I've said many many times on this thread, it's because Paul and Petunia Taxpayer care more about real issues like brexit and the economy than the tabloid outrage headlines.

I'm calling it now. The next government will be FG lead with support from the greens and independents or Labour.

Another term for the shinners in the cheap seats of the Dail.

Jez, SF at 11% now. Shocking. Mary Lou doing a sterling job.

Even the Greens are on 7.....if the climate change stuff is pushed hard, they could surpass SF in the next election!

Hmmm I remember you calling it on the Maria Bailey story how it'd be forgotten by the Summer. You were wrong then too.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,508 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

NIMAN wrote: »
    Jez, SF at 11% now. Shocking. Mary Lou doing a sterling job.

Even the Greens are on 7.....if the climate change stuff is pushed hard, they could surpass SF in the next election!

And cost the poor taxpayers a fortune on carbon taxes and other stuff they dream up.

And cost the poor taxpayers a fortune on carbon taxes and other stuff they dream up.

Ryan wants villagers to car pool and to reintroduce Wolves as far away from power as possible is the best place for the Greens.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭WishUWereHere

Ryan wants villagers to car pool and to reintroduce Wolves as far away from power as possible is the best place for the Greens.

Ryan Ought to be kept as far away from Kildare Street as possible.

Enda Kenny not coming out much better than the Healy Rays for Dail attendance and voting tbh.
    Since stepping down as taoiseach, Enda Kenny has failed to participate in 96% of all D votes that took place between June 2017 and July 2019, RTInvestigates can reveal.

More than 400 votes were held between June 2017 and July 2019, with the Mayo TD voting in just 15 of those.
    You might wonder why I'm putting that big of info in this thread father than the phantom voter thread.

Here's why.
    Mr Kenny claimed more than €47,000 in expenses under the Travel and Accommodation Allowance (TAA) for his attendance at Leinster House.

That is despite failing to attend debates, committee meetings or take part in votes on 60% of the days when votes took place and Mr Kenny was recorded as being in the house at the time.

Definitely a nice perk of the job.
    Between June 2017 and the end of 2018, he claimed more than €47,000 under this scheme. Expense figures for this year have not yet been finalised.

The Dail attendance records show Mr Kenny met the quota to claim his full entitlements under the Travel and Accommodation Allowance scheme.

He also receives his basic TD's salary of €96,189.
    RTE

• Registered Users Posts: 51,508 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Enda Kenny not coming out much better than the Healy Rays for Dail attendance and voting tbh.

You might wonder why I'm putting that big of info in this thread father than the phantom voter thread.

Here's why.

RTE
    Grraavvvvyyyyy trrraaaiiinnnn choo choo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

Here's why.

RTE

Would love to see a full breakdown for each sitting member, if that's even readily available

Advertisement