Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

All Blacks v Irish property developers

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

It is a marketing thing now. WR try to protect it and I think have issued directives about how it should be faced.

The 'haka' is a challenge and you should be allowed to counter that challenge as you wish as a 'competing side' and as a spectator.

And some Maori people believe that rugby has bastardised the Haka and that it is inappropriate to do it.

I don't think the Haka is any more intimidating than some of the Northern Hemisphere national anthems. The French one would frighten me to death, if I thought they meant it.

Arise, children of the Fatherland
    Our day of glory has arrived
    Against us the bloody flag of tyranny
    is raised; the bloody flag is raised.
    Do you hear, in the countryside
    The roar of those ferocious soldiers?
    They’re coming right into your arms
    To cut the throats of your sons, your comrades!

To arms, citizens!
    Form your battalions
    Let’s march, let’s march
    That their impure blood
    Should water our fields.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Bobblehats

They're usually not Maori and it's a gimmick.

It wasn't always treated with such reverence.

Looked like a couple of Elvis impersonators

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

Bobblehats wrote: »
    Looked like a couple of Elvis impersonators
    How come these guys don’t get done for blacking up ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Bobblehats

David Soul was in there too

• Registered Users Posts: 19,613 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Mint Sauce wrote: »
    In fairness, at 22 nil down against NZL (and after lossing to Japan) it probably was more about the piss up for most at that stage.

Yeah there is probably an element of that but it seems specific to the event junkies, I think the hardcore fans who go to rugby games week in week out would have been sitting there devastated at getting so badly beaten by NZ and not jumping around like loo-lahs when we were taking a hiding. It was the same at Euro 2012 and it reminds me of a t-shirt that used to be sold during Italia '90 with the slogan on it 'Win or Lose, we're here for the booze'
    It's tradition and was for a long time a strong anti racist statement.
    But as I say in competitive matches it should be done before the anthems.

And of course it would be after the Haka because so much more important.

When I lived in NZ my Kiwi flatmate was going apesh1t before a Australia-NZ game in the Bledisloe Cup because after the Haka the Aussies brought some singer onto the pitch with a guitar to do a rousing version of Waltzing Matilda. It was quite clever by the Aussies because it took the sting out of the Haka. iirc NZ rugby complained to World Rugby and made sure the practice didnt happen again. Flatmate was ranting and raving for hours about the Aussies insulting 100+ years of the Haka tradition and it shouldnt be messed with. Then he went on another rant about the underarm bowling the Aussies did on NZ in the cricket (basically cheating), between that and the Haka I thought he was going to punch the walls down over it !

But just on our own fans booing it, I think it was lacking class. Sing against it alright but booing is just crass. Had the game been at Lansdowne Road and the event junkies started booing it they would be told to shut up, same way they are when an opposition kicker is taking a penalty or conversion.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,597 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

I'm not mad into team sports but do enjoy watching major rugby and soccer matches - but I have to say that the level and degree of bitterness towards rugby and those who play and support it is unreal in this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,926 ✭✭✭WesternZulu

JupiterKid wrote: »
    I'm not mad into team sports but do enjoy watching major rugby and soccer matches - but I have to say that the level and degree of bitterness towards rugby and those who play and support it is unreal in this thread.

Well you have to hand it to AHs; it's fair if nothing else.

Wait a few months and there will be a soccer bashing thread if Ireland don't qualify of the Euro's.
    The bi-annual GAA bashing thread should be upcoming soon enough as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 66,973 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

JupiterKid wrote: »

I would hazard a guess a lot of the bitterness has nothing to do with rugby.
    Like most bitterness it has to do with failures in various lives.

I enjoy reading the real criticisms, those based in a knowledge of the game and how it operates, the other 'criticisms' are just sad and wasteful of energies best spent elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

Hadn't listened to BOD in a long time but he has developed a seriously gay voice. Maybe it's always sounded like this.

The ma once observed that after hearing him speak on the telly back in his heyday.
    I responded that it is just the way they speak in the posher areas of Dublin and that I doubted that he was gay.
    She then asked me, "How do they know up there and who is gay who is not?"
    I had no answer. Still don't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭s7ryf3925pivug

topper75 wrote: »
    The ma once observed that after hearing him speak on the telly back in his heyday.
    I responded that it is just the way they speak in the posher areas of Dublin and that I doubted that he was gay.
    She then asked me, "How do they know up there and who is gay who is not?"
    I had no answer. Still don't.
    There's been rumours of him engaging in homosexual activity for decades, apparently his bodyguard was a source. Doubt there's any truth to it. Probably just bashing someone for being from a middle class background. - But why would you give a sh!t one way or another anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭frosty123

Ole ole ole...did you hear the numpty irish over the weekend?? after a match in which they get trashed ole ole ole, and yesterday during a match that didn't even involve ireland ole ole ole

Jesus wept

• Registered Users Posts: 15,290 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Just on the haka in the pub the other morning a fella suggested that someone should let a dog loose on the pitch while they were doing it. It would be comical.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

Muahahaha wrote: »
    But just on our own fans booing it, I think it was lacking class. Sing against it alright but booing is just crass. Had the game been at Lansdowne Road and the event junkies started booing it they would be told to shut up, same way they are when an opposition kicker is taking a penalty or conversion.
    Were you even watching it? They were singing The Fields Of Athenry, not booing.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,151 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Jaysus, some of you lot have some serious chips on your shoulders. Should those of us with no interest in soccer condemn it as a game for knackers because our best player of living memory was a scumbag from Cork? Wouldn't seem fair fair to the likes of Niall Quinn.

• Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭Iscreamkone

I enjoy reading the real criticisms, those based in a knowledge of the game and how it operates, the other 'criticisms' are just sad and wasteful of energies best spent elsewhere.

How about the criticism that rugby is still very elitist.
    70% of the ROI players in the squad went to fee paying rugby academies.

Maybe if the IRFU spent as much on developing 'project players' from Finglas, Tallaght and Knocknaheeny, as they do in bringing Bundy, CJ et al halfway across the world to become Oirish, then and only then would they earn the support of your average punter.

The fact is that your average punter has more in common with these hired mercenaries than he does with the Clongowes/Blackrock College set.

#teamofthem

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭s7ryf3925pivug

How about the criticism that rugby is still very elitist.
    70% of the ROI players in the squad went to fee paying rugby academies.

Maybe if the IRFU spent as much on developing 'project players' from Finglas, Tallaght and Knocknaheeny, as they do in bringing Bundy, CJ et al halfway across the world to become Oirish, then and only then would they earn the support of your average punter.

The fact is that your average punter has more in common with these hired mercenaries than he does with the Clongowes/Blackrock College set.

#teamofthem
    oh **** off. Rugby is huge in Munster and they produce great players, but you dismiss them and only see privately educated Dubliners. You are the one who is snobby and unaware.

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭ErnestBorgnine

Sleepy wrote: »
    Jaysus, some of you lot have some serious chips on your shoulders. Should those of us with no interest in soccer condemn it as a game for knackers because our best player of living memory was a scumbag from Cork? Wouldn't seem fair fair to the likes of Niall Quinn.

Niall Quinn is a long streak of piss

oh **** off. Rugby is huge in Munster and they produce great players, but you dismiss them and only see privately educated Dubliners. You are the one who is snobby and unaware.

Could you list the Irish internationals from Cork who didn't play schools rugby for Pres or Christians please?

Dream on with your Munster isn't posh myth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

Not sure what you are talking about. Rugby is played by working class people in Munster, Connacht and Ulster. The core of the Munster team are local lads from working class backgrounds.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 322 ✭✭SJW Lover

Ireland beat the world champions Germany in a soccer qualifier a few years ago. An actual competitive qualifier and a brilliant win. Was there a documentary made about it? There's your answer as to why some people are sick of irish rugby. You're welcome.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,349 ✭✭✭Jimmy Garlic

Irish rugby is a victim of its own hubris and the general over inflation of the egos of most involved. The sourest bunch of grapes going.

SJW Lover wrote: »
    Ireland beat the world champions Germany in a soccer qualifier a few years ago. An actual competitive qualifier and a brilliant win. Was there a documentary made about it? There's your answer as to why some people are sick of irish rugby. You're welcome.

How about 'going out of a world cup' at QF stage? Are we sick of that yet?

FFS, what a stupid comparison. Italia 90 was a failure, so was The US and so was the Euro's.
    Jack Charlton failed too. But we get it replayed as some sort of high point again and again.
    Why? Because reaching the World QF's of that sport is an achievement for a country of this size.

And we all had colossal fun and managed to keep it in perspective and didn't lose our **** and dignity trying to troll the forum of a sport and people we clearly dislike. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Bitterness and bile about something else in your life. You might want to fix that.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

There's been rumours of him engaging in homosexual activity for decades, apparently his bodyguard was a source. Doubt there's any truth to it. Probably just bashing someone for being from a middle class background. - But why would you give a sh!t one way or another anyway.

Amazing the rubbish you hear about regular people that turns out to be sh1te, never mind celebrity's

BOD doesn't sound remotely gay

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Just on the haka in the pub the other morning a fella suggested that someone should let a dog loose on the pitch while they were doing it. It would be comical.

How about a sheep?

Kiwis like sheep

• Registered Users Posts: 15,290 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

There’s an article in the Irish times saying the irfu should ramp up poaching players from the gaa.

For all their sh1te talk The posh boys just not up to it, it seems

Berserker wrote: »
    Not sure what you are talking about. Rugby is played by working class people in Munster, Connacht and Ulster. The core of the Munster team are local lads from working class backgrounds.

Like I said earlier, 70% of the ROI guys in the squad went to fee paying schools. Working class people play rugby too. They just don’t get in the Oirish squad do they?

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭Dr_serious2

It was men v boys.

New Zealand were just a joy to watch. What a team. The Tournament starts now with all good teams left

Men vs goys.

Like I said earlier, 70% of the ROI guys in the squad went to fee paying schools. Working class people play rugby too. They just don’t get in the Oirish squad do they?

Yeh...like the soccer squad gets all it's talent from pure 'Oirish' guys?

We'll await your thesis based on the data you are obviously in possession of. There isn't a doubt in the world that rugby was a game for a certain section of society just as other games had their base.

But it is far away from it's days as an exclusive pursuit. Pure nonsense and probably the source of some of the bile on here. Pure prejudice more than any sporting concerns.

I didn't go to a private school nor even come from a rugby stronghold but have followed it all my life, like many around me.

• Administrators Posts: 53,386 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Could you list the Irish internationals from Cork who didn't play schools rugby for Pres or Christians please?

Dream on with your Munster isn't posh myth.

Keith Earls
    Conor Murray
    Dave Kilcoyne
    Ultan Dillane
    JJ Hanrahan
    Jack O'Donoghue

Off the top of my head, all are current or recent Ireland internationals from Munster who didn't go to posh Cork schools. Paul O'Connell of course did not attend a posh Cork school.

I'm sure there are lots more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

awec wrote: »
    Keith Earls
    Conor Murray
    Dave Kilcoyne
    Ultan Dillane
    JJ Hanrahan
    Jack O'Donoghue

Off the top of my head, all are current or recent Ireland internationals from Munster who didn't go to posh Cork schools.

I'm sure there are more.
    talking about cork specifically. There is quite a lot of pro players from cork city/county who didn't go to pres or Christian's but not made breakthrough to be regular internationals or made a breakthrough to international level. James Cronin, Kevin o Byrne are just two. Few others as well both playing here in Ireland as well as abroad

Advertisement