Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Conor McGregor thread (MMA Talk Only - Read 1st Post Before Posting)

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 42 mistearious

giphy.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

Effects wrote: »
    Would that not be part of Conor's tactics? Make Frankie come up to LW to give him a better chance of beating him.
    Wouldn't think so.
    I imagine he thinks he can make 145 and would try, if offered enough money.
    He possibly could, but I don't think it'd be good for him to cut down to that again, now that he's a bit bigger than he was.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

It won’t happen this year. The December ppv is already stacked. Probably they will try to make it the Jan big event. Will Conor forsake the Xmas party season for it?? It oils be best thing to happen for him. Where is the jan event?? It would be great to see him back in Boston if it was there. Tho I reckon we won’t see him back till March in Vegas.
    A fight vs Frankie is only good if Conor can get back to fighting 3 times a year, and can’t see that happening. He should be willing to take on Poirer or Gatche instead to hold onto his no.3 ranking and put him back in the conversation for fighting Khabib or Ferguson.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

Does it matter that his lifestyle is different these days? I can understand the motivation, but he's not as committed to training as he used to be. Trying to get down to that weight in a fight camp would take away from his other training, wouldn't it?
    And will he be offered enough money? Against Edgar, I'd doubt it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

He should be willing to take on Poirer or Gatche instead to hold onto his no.3 ranking and put him back in the conversation for fighting Khabib or Ferguson.

He wants money, above anything else. He'll take the safest route to bringing that in.

• Advertisement

He should be willing to take on Poirer or Gatche instead to hold onto his no.3 ranking and put him back in the conversation for fighting Khabib or Ferguson.

I would hope they'd be next in line, but he absolutely needs a tune up fight before going for either of those.

Effects wrote: »
    He wants money, above anything else. He'll take the safest route to bringing that in.

I used to think when he was at his peak star wise, which I guess was immediately after the Mayweather fight, he could have earned 20/25million per fight in ufc, so if he fought 3 or 4 times a year he could earn same as the 1-off boxing event.
    Would be tough to go through that I know, especially against the top lightweights if he was defending his title. His boxing was so sharp from Mayweather he might have beaten them. But then I saw Holloway fight this often so maybe he could have done it.
    But the whiskey and other income streams of being a huge celebrity just brought his down another road altogether, a not so very nice road.

Tazzimus wrote: »
    I would hope they'd be next in line, but he absolutely needs a tune up fight before going for either of those.

Yeah it looks like that, he can’t be so sharp due to his lifestyle in spite of what he or Kavanagh says. But a 3 month camp and staying away from the whiskey should have him in shape.
    I think part of him fighting Frankie, if he was to, is just him giving a big event to another legend who is on the way out. It doesn’t get me too excited but a win is followed 3 months later with a top lightweight then ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭JoeyJJ

it's for charity though :) like jim'l fix it

The fight purse is small, the PPV is not, he only said he was giving away the purse..

Yeah it looks like that, he can’t be so sharp due to his lifestyle in spite of what he or Kavanagh says. But a 3 month camp and staying away from the whiskey should have him in shape.
    I think part of him fighting Frankie, if he was to, is just him giving a big event to another legend who is on the way out. It doesn’t get me too excited but a win is followed 3 months later with a top lightweight then ok.

Likely. Him and Frankie have always been respectful towards each other for the most part.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,324 ✭✭✭robwen

It gets Proper 12 emblazoned across the octagon floor in a very winnable fight, great distraction/ marketing for him in troubled pr times

• Registered Users Posts: 12,598 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Have the UFC ever put a top level fighter in a PPV with on going legal issues?

Didnt book Conor vs Khabib until after the NYC thing was cleared, same with Jon Jones and the car crash, BJ Penn this year too.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,755 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Not with the abuse he’s given his body over the last couple of years. He’d want 6 months to get in shape then another 10-12 week fight camp

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

featherweight would kill him now

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    Not with the abuse he’s given his body over the last couple of years. He’d want 6 months to get in shape then another 10-12 week fight camp

He has personal chefs cooking most of his meals, and even big medical science team and doctors on the payroll. Sure, the whiskey promotion and drinking it cannot be good. I couldn’t believe it when he was downing shots during the pressers for Khabib, if it was real whiskey. Don’t think Dana drank the glass he poured him.
    1 thing about the Frankie fight that will make sense if it happens, the build up won’t be nasty, so you will see a very different Conor at the pressers. He will be back to being more charming funny instead of ignorant funny, and will probably be even humble and very reigned in. It will be a PR recovery mission.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,997 ✭✭✭✭rob316

The UFC will take the boxing route with him I'd say, a banker fight to get people talking again and they can justify put him back in the title picture then.
    Small purse to charity for McGregor but as someone said Proper 12 heavily marketed makes sense.
    He's on the PR offensive if he's offering his purse to charity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭BDI

Sometimes he just talks pony on twitter. To get people to like his #proper stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭pastorbarrett

Not too enamoured by the Frankie fight personally. Even knowing Frankie's previous history, the size differential just cannot be ignored - he was/is en route to '35. He's no longer a title contender at '45, never-mind '55.

I'm sure part of this is also because he sees Frankie as deserving of the panty payday, irrespective of outcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭US2

Not too enamoured by the Frankie fight personally. Even knowing Frankie's previous history, the size differential just cannot be ignored - he was/is en route to '35. He's no longer a title contender at '45, never-mind '55.

I'm sure part of this is also because he sees Frankie as deserving of the panty payday, irrespective of outcome.

Should have given him panty night in 2015 or 2016

• Registered Users Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭Still Ill

US2 wrote: »
    Should have given him panty night in 2015 or 2016

Nah, he thought he could beat the big guys back then.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭Wayne Jarvis

Still Ill wrote: »
    Nah, he thought he could beat the big guys back then.
    He beat 1 big guy anyway

Slh3nRY.jpg

69dac34ce24f6e6084f34d510f7aac96.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,156 ✭✭✭sonofenoch

For McGregor it's probably just about right after such inactivity, the pre fight buildup would be more on the jovial banter side as there's no animosity there...he needs to buy back some likes .....you would think it would be a relatively straight forward win so he'd get no kudos there (when has he ever got it)

For Edgar it would always be the right fight

• Registered Users Posts: 12,598 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Dana saying the Frankie fight isn't happening and he thinks Conor will fight next year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 201 ✭✭str8talkingguy

The Nal wrote: »
    Dana saying the Frankie fight isn't happening and he thinks Conor will fight next year.

Don't think it was ever on the cards,Conor just taking the piss,thought it was obvious when he said my purse to charity.

Twitter war starting back up between Conor and Khabib.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Dana saying Conor isn't the man anymore and Conor taking to Twitter to vent.

Further and further into irrelevance.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,997 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Ny times has named the mystery Irish sports star.

Getting nasty now on Twitter between Khabib and Conor.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭dashoonage

How many times has he said proper12 ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭dulux99

Ha, that last tweet shut him up.

Advertisement