Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nest Hello Doorbell Install

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,659 ✭✭✭54and56

I have the iq indoor cam but how do you intend using motion trigger? Sensor to turn on the cam? Ours is set to come on when our phones are out of the house

Don't want to take this thread too far off the Doorbell issue but i was expecting the indoor IQ to have a menu of options like the Doorbell zone function, timers, geo triggers like user phones being outside a perimeter of the house, infra red face/body detection, an "away" function etc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭keith_d99

Hi all ... yeah I defo need a transformer.

Mine's a DIN rail transformer .... does anybody know if a DIN rail transformer is a standard size?

This is my exact model ...
    Byron 7770

This what I am thinking of getting ...
    Navaris Door Bell transformer

Thanks!

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

keith_d99 wrote:
    Mine's a DIN rail transformer .... does anybody know if a DIN rail transformer is a standard size?

A din rail is usually a standard size. About 10 pounds on Amazon for the 24V

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭redmond08

Where is the cheapest place to get the Nest Doorbell? I see Littlewoods have it for €259, reckon I would get it cheaper somewhere else or buy off them?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,459 ✭✭✭T-b0n3

redmond08 wrote: »
    Where is the cheapest place to get the Nest Doorbell? I see Littlewoods have it for €259, reckon I would get it cheaper somewhere else or buy off them?

Someone posted up a deal on the bargains thread on Sunday here

There was a £25 off voucher so I got it for £150. Still looks to be cheaper than Littlewoods.

Mine is currently waiting to be collected from my local parcel motel depot.

• Advertisement

Hi all,

I'm a good few months into Nest Hellow ownership and couldn't be happier with it. It just works and the quality of the video and audio is top notch.

I was away on holiday for a few weeks and the comfort I got from getting alerts as people rang the bell or even approached the house was unreal, don't know how I lived without it!! One day a parcel arrived which I'd forgotten I'd ordered (snail mail from China) so rather than the Postman having to return it to the depot and me having to go collect it or lose it all together as I may not have been home by the time An Posts holding period would be up I asked the postman to leave it at the front door, WhatsApp'd a neighbour and he strolled up and grabbed it. As he did he waved at the Nest Hello to say hello to me, confirm he had the parcel (as he waved it in the air) and told me to go back to drinking my Sangria (which I wasn't!!).

Anyway, enough of the positive reviews for Nest Hello.

Has anyone purchased and installed a Nest (Yale) Smart Lock and if so can you share your story? Where did you get it? Was it easy to install? Does it do a good job?

With kids coming and going I think my next project needs to be a smart lock for the front door and it makes sense to stick with Nest providing it does a good job.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,040 ✭✭✭OU812

54&56 wrote: »

Has anyone purchased and installed a Nest (Yale) Smart Lock and if so can you share your story? Where did you get it? Was it easy to install? Does it do a good job?

With kids coming and going I think my next project needs to be a smart lock for the front door and it makes sense to stick with Nest providing it does a good job.

Insurance company will have a problem with it

OU812 wrote: »
    Insurance company will have a problem with it

Ok, I can get that their knee jerk reaction might be new tech = bad/weak security but can you point to anything stated or published by an insurance company confirming they have a problem with or won't insure houses with a Nest (Yale) Lock?

Personally my home security has improved significantly since I installed a Nest Hello doorbell camera and I believe it would be enhanced further with a Nest (Yale) lock as it would track every lock/unlock and remove the risk of someone using a copied key to get in as over the years we've given copy keys to neighbours in case of emergency, friends and guests who were staying etc

54&56 wrote: »
    Ok, I can get that their knee jerk reaction might be new tech = bad/weak security but can you point to anything stated or published by an insurance company confirming they have a problem with or won't insure houses with a Nest (Yale) Lock?

Personally my home security has improved significantly since I installed a Nest Hello doorbell camera and I believe it would be enhanced further with a Nest (Yale) lock as it would track every lock/unlock and remove the risk of someone using a copied key to get in as over the years we've given copy keys to neighbours in case of emergency, friends and guests who were staying etc

I'm with you. Totally love the idea of them & was going to change my front & back door to them (5 point locks). Just thought to call the insurance company first & was told they won't honour any policy on a property with them installed until it can be proven they're not a risk.

I'm with you. Totally love the idea of them & was going to change my front & back door to them (5 point locks). Just thought to call the insurance company first & was told they won't honour any policy on a property with them installed until it can be proven they're not a risk.

Was that a broker you spoke to or the actual insurance company?

It's a Yale lock with some ADDITIONAL features which ENHANCE security!!

Do insurance companies review and approve all new locks produced by all lock companies or do lock companies produce and certify locks to an accepted ISO (type) standard and because these standards are decades old a higher spec smart lock doesn't fit the old standard hence insurance companies can't accept them?

• Advertisement

Insurance company.

In my experience, they'll use any means to avoid a payout of any sort, these new locks don't fit into their acceptable risk box so they exclude them.

Insurance company.

In my experience, they'll use any means to avoid a payout of any sort, these new locks don't fit into their acceptable risk box so they exclude them.

That's what I'm curious about. Have the Insurance company's come straight out and said they won't insure any property with a smart lock as opposed to a traditional "dumb" lock or is some minimum wage CSR in some far away country just giving a standard "Not Covered" reply when asked about something that's not on their hymn sheet?

It I ring up an insurer and say I've got this lock from Google, are you ok with that I can imagine them not knowing what to say so defaulting to "No" whereas if I ring them up and say I'm installing a dead lock made by Yale are you ok with that? I bet they say "Fine" even though in both cases I'm talking about the same lock.

I think this new advert from Aviva UK should give us hope that the pedantic questions over what standard your door lock adheres to (BS 3621 in this case) may soon be a thing of the past!!

54and56 wrote: »
    That's what I'm curious about. Have the Insurance company's come straight out and said they won't insure any property with a smart lock as opposed to a traditional "dumb" lock or is some minimum wage CSR in some far away country just giving a standard "Not Covered" reply when asked about something that's not on their hymn sheet?

It I ring up an insurer and say I've got this lock from Google, are you ok with that I can imagine them not knowing what to say so defaulting to "No" whereas if I ring them up and say I'm installing a dead lock made by Yale are you ok with that? I bet they say "Fine" even though in both cases I'm talking about the same lock.

I think this new advert from Aviva UK should give us hope that the pedantic questions over what standard your door lock adheres to (BS 3621 in this case) may soon be a thing of the past!!

The problem with saying you’re fitting a new deadlock from Yale is, if anyone breaks in & It’s discovered you didn’t disclose it was a smart lock, then they’re off the hook for the payout as you deliberately omitted vital information.

I have a friend who got broken into & the intruders disables his (non smart) alarm.

They refused to pay out because as far as they were concerned, he’d not complied with the policy -discount for alarm, set the alarm every time. Even though he’d set it, he couldn’t prove he had.

So now my insurance company don’t know I have an alarm (or dash cams in the car). No discounts of 5%, but they don’t have an option to not pay out.

The problem with saying you’re fitting a new deadlock from Yale is, if anyone breaks in & It’s discovered you didn’t disclose it was a smart lock, then they’re off the hook for the payout as you deliberately omitted vital information.

I have a friend who got broken into & the intruders disables his (non smart) alarm.

They refused to pay out because as far as they were concerned, he’d not complied with the policy -discount for alarm, set the alarm every time. Even though he’d set it, he couldn’t prove he had.

So now my insurance company don’t know I have an alarm (or dash cams in the car). No discounts of 5%, but they don’t have an option to not pay out.

I'm with you on most of that. I don't bother with an alarm for the exact same reason, the 5% discount isn't worth the risk of not getting paid if the alarm wasn't set and I know it would be left unset a lot!!

The bit I disagree with is that I am obliged to inform the insurance company that the Yale lock is a smart lock. If they ask what sort of lock it is I'll happily give them the make/model etc. I wouldn't mislead them and equally if I have to declare as part of the proposal that my front door has a deadlock which adheres to some sort of standard I'll be upfront and confirm whether or not the Next/Yale lock adheres to same or not. Bit like how with car insurance you have to declare the car is standard/unmodified to how it left the factory.

I'd really like to know if all insurers require as part of the policy proposal process that you declare you have a deadlock which meets XXX standard and if so whether the Nest/Yale lock meets that standard or not.

If there is and it is indeed a lock which adheres to the [URL="Dear Mr Cho, In addition to the message I sent you on Monday I also organised for DHL to deliver a sample Hikari SQ (https://www.lightly.tech/engineering) to you for your review and evaluation. In order to facilitate delivery can you please confirm your phone number, email address and delivery address so we can complete the information required by DHL to make a successful delivery to you? I look forward to hearing from you."]BS 3621 standard[/URL] it seems fairly clear that the Nest/Yale (or any other smart lock I've reviewed) don't in fact meet those standards as one of the standards criteria is that the lock "Cannot be opened on either side unless you have the key".

Another example of tech being way ahead of both legislation, regulations and product standards which can be very slow to catch up. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭Zane97

Sorry for being a bit off topic but has anybody bought one through the google store uk via parcel motel?

I see they are reduced by £40

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭nigwerwig

Robbie G wrote: »
    Sorry for being a bit off topic but has anybody bought one through the google store uk via parcel motel?

Yes I have got a free mini at the time and it was cheaper

Yep, pretty sure that's how I bought mine. Doesn't make any difference to set up etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

That's not a great discount, Littlewoods have them for 225 euro.

Ush1 wrote: »
    That's not a great discount, Littlewoods have them for 225 euro.

Only seen this now and have it ordered and dispatched.

So is everyone happy with theirs so far? Have any of you any problems with it?

I was just wondering it it mounted flat or does it come with any plate to change the angle? my front door is stepped in under an arch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,521 ✭✭✭micks_address

I think from memory there is a wedge to change the angle. Mines flat mounted on the front of house .. very happy with it and over a year. Few times I've been able to chat to the postman and have him leave packages hidden so I didn't need to go pickup at the Depot. Handy for kids to.. once or twice daughter was unexpected home early with no one home and was able to tell her hold tight as we on way home etc..also some interesting videos of people just loitering around.. sometimes you'd wonder what people be at.. wouldn't be without it now.. I've even used it while in the US to talk to delivery guy back home in Dublin which I thought was pretty impressive given the physical distance involved.. I find if you pair it with a home hub is great to. We have the hub in a visible spot in the living room so when the doorbell rings we can see who's at the door without going to phone etc

I was just wondering it it mounted flat or does it come with any plate to change the angle? my front door is stepped in under an arch.

I think from memory there is a wedge to change the angle. Mines flat mounted on the front of house .. very happy with it and over a year. Few times I've been able to chat to the postman and have him leave packages hidden so I didn't need to go pickup at the Depot. Handy for kids to.. once or twice daughter was unexpected home early with no one home and was able to tell her hold tight as we on way home etc..also some interesting videos of people just loitering around.. sometimes you'd wonder what people be at.. wouldn't be without it now.. I've even used it while in the US to talk to delivery guy back home in Dublin which I thought was pretty impressive given the physical distance involved.. I find if you pair it with a home hub is great to. We have the hub in a visible spot in the living room so when the doorbell rings we can see who's at the door without going to phone etc

Thanks very much this is helpful, the home hub is on the shopping list ðŸ‘ðŸ»

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,555 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

I think from memory there is a wedge to change the angle.

Correct. I used it. Very happy with mine too.
    My only concern is theft of the device itself.

You can also buy mounting plates which are useful to hide wires etc in case things don’t line up perfectly. eBay is full of them.

I personally don’t like the form factor of it as it protrudes too much & curves back on itself & I think it gives it a leverage angle to get it off the wall.

The ring was was better designed in that case.

But with the wedge, backed into a corner it looks ok.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 834 ✭✭✭KWAG2019

There were a few issues with wifi signal dropping but that might have been distance from router. Once that sorted it is an excellent product. The remote look in and two way communication is very useful.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,555 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

KWAG2019 wrote: »
    There were a few issues with wifi signal dropping but that might have been distance from router. Once that sorted it is an excellent product. The remote look in and two way communication is very useful.

The Nest Hello can work on a voltage from 16V to 24V. If it is supplied from a 24V supply there will be less issues with the signal dropping as the wifi receiver will function better. This is a simple task of using a suitably rated door bell transformer (230/24VAC).

I am very happy with mine. Picture quality, sound and facial recognition are excellent. No dropping of signal. Looks well.

Only one issue: Adding this device has created some issue with my account. I can no longer have my Nest smoke detectors connected to my account. I have not got around to contacting Nest support yet. Stoner tole me he had the same issue and following a long phone call with support they resolved the it.

I pay €50 per annum to have events over the last 5 days backed up to the cloud. Well worth it IMHO.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭Blacktie.

I've had my Nest Doorbell a while now. I didn't notice it disconnected form the wifi a while back so it needed a reset. Really needs a decent amount of pressure through that tiny hole to unmount it. Had a few paperclips and pins bend trying to sort it out! Eventually got it off with a strong tiny needle!

I had an issue with WiFi dropping initially as the router was a long way from the front door so i got a cheap €20 range extender which solved the problem. I rarely (once every 3-4 months) get a message that the camera is offline but it's always been related to the router being down not the Nest camera itself.

I personally couldn't be happier with it. It's great for security (really puts off sketchy characters once they see it) and super for asking the postman or courier to leave packages at the door if there's no one home which saves a lot of hassle going to collect missed deliveries.

Just got it installed there. I’m impressed. I’ve got it working on a chromecast on a upstairs tv. But is there any way of getting in up on the tv without asking a home mini downstairs?

I have no mini’s upstairs at or near that tv.

• Advertisement

But is there any way of getting in up on the tv without asking a home mini downstairs?

I have no mini’s upstairs at or near that tv.

You could simply buy another GH mini. I would expect the price for the generation 1 mini to drop significantly as there are advertisements out already for the generation 2 minis. Not so long ago a gen 1 could be purchased for €35. A real bargain.

Advertisement