Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to beat the All Blacks?

Options

Comments

Yeah_Right wrote: »
    Defence is part of our game. We're not going to have 100% possession. As long as our defence is sorted our attack will flow. As we build a lead, Ireland wont know what to do. We all know they can't chase a game.

I like the youth we have. Better than relying on tired, old, out of form has been like Best, POM, Sexton, Earls and Kearney.

Yeah we've lost games since the last RWC but none at this RWC. I'd guess our win winning percentage is still around 80% but 1-2 against Ireland so time to square the ledger. Yes we've lost Aus and SA but so have you. We haven't lost to Japan or Scotland 😠Argentina have run us close but we still have never lost to them ��

You had a piss poor return from the Italy match. They kept you from scoring a try. Only Ireland have done that in recent memory.

And a kiwi is a fruit.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,972 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

I predict the ABs to win the turnover battle this time around. Every AB forward can poach or strip the ball in the tackle. 2 of the Irish do it on a regular basis? 3 if POM shows up? The AB pack is better man for man except the props. Apart from them, Ryan is the only forward that would make the AB 23. I don't think y'all will be able to handle Savea. And if an AB forward breaks the line, they will have the support and the skills to turn it into points rather than re-cycle it for another 20 phases.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,610 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

I predict the ABs to win the turnover battle this time around. Every AB forward can poach or strip the ball in the tackle. 2 of the Irish do it on a regular basis? 3 if POM shows up? The AB pack is better man for man except the props. Apart from them, Ryan is the only forward that would make the AB 23. I don't think y'all will be able to handle Savea. And if an AB forward breaks the line, they will have the support and the skills to turn it into points rather than re-cycle it for another 20 phases.

Would you really say Cane is better than VdF? Thought he's been fairly bang average so far.

Would you really say Cane is better than VdF? Thought he's been fairly bang average so far.

Yes. He is much better. I've said before that VdF was a poor man's Cane. He may become a better player but at the moment he isn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,035 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

It's fine to say that all your fowards can poach or strip, but are they actually going out and doing it in test matches? ABs have actually conceded more turnovers than they've won in the last three matches against Ireland, that has to be worrying?

Also, what forwards are actually making clean breaks for you these days? 4 against Australia in the RWC final in 2015 - Coles, McCaw, Mealamu, Kaino - all gone except Coles.

Otherwise a down-hill trend, at least against Ireland:

in 2016 (Chicago) - 2 (Coles, Barrett)
    in 2016 (Aviva) - 2 (Coles, Whitelock)
    in 2018 (Aviva) - 1 (Whitelock)

A lot of reliance there on Coles and Whitelock it seems. It's actually quite remarkable to see how poorly the AB back-row perform against Ireland in terms of ball carrying.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

would the longer break make the AB's complacent?

Neil3030 wrote: »
    It's fine to say that all your fowards can poach or strip, but are they actually going out and doing it in test matches? ABs have actually conceded more turnovers than they've won in the last three matches against Ireland, that has to be worrying?

Also, what forwards are actually making clean breaks for you these days? 4 against Australia in the RWC final in 2015 - Coles, McCaw, Mealamu, Kaino - all gone except Coles.

Otherwise a down-hill trend, at least against Ireland:

in 2016 (Chicago) - 2 (Coles, Barrett)
    in 2016 (Aviva) - 2 (Coles, Whitelock)
    in 2018 (Aviva) - 1 (Whitelock)

A lot of reliance there on Coles and Whitelock it seems. It's actually quite remarkable to see how poorly the AB back-row perform against Ireland in terms of ball carrying.

I thought I could remember yelling out Ardie's name when he made a break last year, but maybe that was just him running along with half the Irish forward pack hanging off him, so not really a clean break.

Edit: just checked, Ardie made 2 clean breaks. Oh no, I can't read... He didn't :D

• Registered Users Posts: 17,035 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Basil3 wrote: »
    I thought I could remember yelling out Ardie's name when he made a break last year, but maybe that was just him running along with half the Irish forward pack hanging off him, so not really a clean break.

Edit: just checked, Ardie made 2 clean breaks in the last match.

It's possibly splitting hairs, but he beat two defenders (according to ESPN), which is counted separately to clean breaks.

Either way, no offloads and same total meters as the, "tired, old, out of form has been", POM (23m). Squire and Read's stats are even worse. Have the All Blacks just given up on using the back row as key attacking weapons, or is this crop just not carrying the mantle?

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

It's always been known that rugby was invented in New Zealand by Wibb Illas, but it was perfected in Ireland

fryup wrote: »

If being well-rested and free of injury/suspension issues can cause complacency they're riddled with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭Iscreamkone

Paddy Power has
    NZ @1/5 and Ireland @4/1 in a two horse race

Of the eight QFinalists only Japan are bigger outsiders to make the semis @9/2.

Strange things happen from time to time in sport, but Ireland have shown nothing in 2019 to suspect that they have a performance in the bag. Any gambler, who was as risk adverse as Joe Schmidt is, would not put money on Ireland to win.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

fryup wrote: »
    ecoli3136 wrote: »
    If being well-rested and free of injury/suspension issues can cause complacency they're riddled with it.

what i mean is will it make them less battle hardened??

• Registered Users Posts: 4,410 ✭✭✭Wailin

Score predictions?

NZ to win 24-13.

We beat them last year where they were at the end of a tough year. They've had two weeks so are fresh and I just can't see us having the tenacity and defensive ability to keep them from scoring at least 3 tries.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,012 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

I'm going for Ireland 24 NZ 19, think we'll catch them early.

:eek: Honestly starting to believe I am high! Don't know what is going on with me and this positivity.

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭Iscreamkone

NZ to win 32-10

• Subscribers Posts: 41,215 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Ireland 25 - 22

NZ to win 45-24.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,212 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

Ireland 20-16, NZ back three gets caught out a few times. Murray MotM.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

NZ 28 Ireland 16
    Ringrose to score a try.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,349 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

Ireland, 21-18. Beauden Barret's kicking costs NZ the game.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 41,215 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

aloooof wrote: »
    Ireland, 21-18. Beauden Barret's kicking costs NZ the game.

He won't be kicking though :)

sydthebeat wrote: »
    He won't be kicking though :)

I mean his kicking out of hand, not place kicking.

(I definitely meant that....)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,412 ✭✭✭Road-Hog

Disrespect/mock the Effin ‘hacka’ during its performance is the way to beat them...that stupid tongue routine that has become part of it takes the biscuit altogether......not a hope of this happening though with a kiwi born coach

• Registered Users Posts: 7,340 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Road-Hog wrote: »
    Disrespect/mock the Effin ‘hacka’ during its performance is the way to beat them...that stupid tongue routine that has become part of it takes the biscuit altogether......not a hope of this happening though with a kiwi born coach

Historically, this doesn't work out that well for the opposition.

Historically, this doesn't work out that well for the opposition.

Maybe take the disrespect to a new high and ‘moon the plonkers’........ever since the o’Driscoll incident in 2005 I have zero respect for New Zealand rugby......absolute criminal stuff that day and neither of the ‘****’ were ever dealt with.......

Maybe take the disrespect to a new high and ‘moon the plonkers’........ever since the o’Driscoll incident in 2005 I have zero respect for New Zealand rugby......absolute criminal stuff that day and neither of the ‘****’ were ever dealt with.......

Hey it was BOD's fault for being offside at the ruck. It was a perfectly legitimate clean out. Not Umaga and Mealamu's fault that he has poor balance.

Hey it was BOD's fault for being offside at the ruck. It was a perfectly legitimate clean out. Not Umaga and Mealamu's fault that he has poor balance.

You are obviously ‘wumming’.......or else a blinkered New Zealand supporter......!

You are obviously ‘wumming’.......or else a blinkered New Zealand supporter......!

Not blinkered. Just trust my own eyes and not that political stooge Woodward brought on tour.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,602 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

The pressure is now all on NZ , lose and they suffer, we lose , everyone expects it.
    We have no major injury - and we are due one big game - never had any real luck at a WC - Rory and Joes send-off -

2 weeks ago after Russia I never dreamt I'd say this - but I think we will sneak it -

First twenty is critical , dictate our 'boring' game on them, get in ther faces, and start planting the fear.

• Advertisement

“Or”? This week, he’s been both! ;)

Advertisement