Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to beat the All Blacks?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,587 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

Yeah_Right wrote: »
    Hey it was BOD's fault for being offside at the ruck. It was a perfectly legitimate clean out. Not Umaga and Mealamu's fault that he has poor balance.

I respect NZ - but thats just horse**** - O'Driscoll was dropped in a cowardly manner , could have broken his neck

• Registered Users Posts: 22,243 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

thebaz wrote: »
    The pressure is now all on NZ , lose and they suffer, we lose , everyone expects it.
    We have no major injury - and we are due one big game - never had any real luck at a WC - Rory and Joes send-off -

2 weeks ago after Russia I never dreamt I'd say this - but I think we will sneak it -

First twenty is critical , dictate our 'boring' game on them, get in ther faces, and start planting the fear.

Ireland have the winning formula and its intensity and accuracy, the intensity they have proven that they are capable of but cannot produce every game because its attritional mentally and physically

We also need a referee that will let the game flow

• Registered Users Posts: 5,970 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

I respect NZ - but thats just horse**** - O'Driscoll was dropped in a cowardly manner , could have broken his neck

Yeah but instead he just got his hair ruffled. Sam Cane broke his neck in a match and he's playing tomorrow. I really don't get why the Irish constantly bring it up and make such a big deal of it.

Yeah but instead he just got his hair ruffled. Sam Cane broke his neck in a match and he's playing tomorrow. I really don't get why the Irish constantly bring it up and make such a big deal of it.

yeah and O'Driscoll bounced back too , but could have been career-ending / wheelchair stuff, a cowardly scummy act

yeah and O'Driscoll bounced back too , but could have been career-ending / wheelchair stuff, a cowardly scummy act

So get over it. Why bring it up? **** happens on a rugby field. Irish players have done dirty stuff and so have players from every country. Why is this such a big deal?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,412 ✭✭✭Road-Hog

So get over it. Why bring it up? **** happens on a rugby field. Irish players have done dirty stuff and so have players from every country. Why is this such a big deal?

Because it was extra filthy, scummy and cowardly.......and both ‘pr1cks’ got away without even a caution

Road-Hog wrote: »
    Because it was extra filthy, scummy and cowardly.......and both ‘pr1cks’ got away without even a caution

:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Donnielighto

:D:D:D

It's an understandable view with the lack of punishment for it. If two lads went out and intentionally took McCaw/Carter out in that manner we'd still be hearing about it. He was cleared out, driving him into the group was an active and successful effort to injure a player. Being hard is grand but that was malicious and damaged the image of the sport.

I didnt bring it up mate, it was a big deal cause he could have broke his neck, thats why

Seriously lads. It was 14 years ago. Let it go. I could go back through McCaw's career and find a dozen incidents where he was targeted and the opposition tried to intentionally injure him but I don't bring it up every time the ABs play that side.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭Iscreamkone

Paddy Power has
    NZ @1/5 and Ireland @4/1 in a two horse race

Of the eight QFinalists only Japan are bigger outsiders to make the semis @9/2.

Strange things happen from time to time in sport, but Ireland have shown nothing in 2019 to suspect that they have a performance in the bag. Any gambler, who was as risk adverse as Joe Schmidt is, would not put money on Ireland to win.

The only surprise this morning was the amount of deluded Ireland supporters who thought that there was actually a real possibility of an upset.
    You know who you are - the “there’s one big game in this team” brigade.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,417 ✭✭✭✭cson

To the actual question; you have to stop them offloading. Which means insanely quick and accurate line speed and wrapping up the attacker. If they can be dragged down into an attritional game, they can be beaten imo. If you go more than 1 score down to them its game over. SA will have learned a lot from their own game and tonight.

They will beat England though, and comfortably I'd hazard.

cson wrote: »
    To the actual question; you have to stop them offloading. Which means insanely quick and accurate line speed and wrapping up the attacker. If they can be dragged down into an attritional game, they can be beaten imo. If you go more than 1 score down to them its game over. SA will have learned a lot from their own game and tonight.

This will become harder and harder, especially if the below-the-waist tackling comes in as law. Offloads galore.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

cson wrote: »

I very much doubt that. England wont be so poor.

England might well turn them over. No more than a score in that match.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 TeddyTedhead

England V NZ is shaping up to be a fizzer

It's no gimmie at all for NZ, England are a very strong side at the moment and could turn it on, Jones is a smart coach despite his enormous gob

I live there and the papers are going to be absolutely off their heads with it this week!

• Registered Users Posts: 576 ✭✭✭Mardyke

Basically, Ireland will never beat NZ, unless its a friendly?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Amprodude

Mardyke wrote: »

You are spot on. Can't wait for the next friendly against New Zealand.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,210 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

Amprodude wrote: »
    You are spot on. Can't wait for the next friendly against New Zealand.

Why, are you planning on having gotten a life by then?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,015 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

ClanofLams wrote: »

giphy.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Amprodude

ClanofLams wrote: »

Nice

• Advertisement

I really don't get why the Irish constantly bring it up and make such a big deal of it.

Because Mealamu and Umaga should have both been sent off but weren't even penalised, and we all know it was deliberate targetting of our most dangerous player, captain and talisman. Also the treatment of him after the injury was a disgrace he was left lying there alone in agony for hours while you sorted out your pathetic facilities, communication, and organising, plus no citing and apology

Listen BRU, if you try and tell us you're NOT a dirty team you will get slated relentlessly on here forever, up to you but you are, and you will, I will be more than happy to talk about your ref paying corruption, how you pillaged the island talent, ruined their unions nearly completely and thinly veiled it as ''scholarships''

Mardyke wrote: »

Negative part time rugby person berk

Had you understanding of the game as a senior player and experience of being a proper rugby fan of the Irish for 30 years as they improved gradually and spectacularly, then you would not make stupid comments

Because Mealamu and Umaga should have both been sent off but weren't even penalised, and we all know it was deliberate targetting of our most dangerous player, captain and talisman. Also the treatment of him after the injury was a disgrace he was left lying there alone in agony for hours while you sorted out your pathetic facilities, communication, and organising, plus no citing and apology

Listen BRU, if you try and tell us you're NOT a dirty team you will get slated relentlessly on here forever, up to you but you are, and you will, I will be more than happy to talk about your ref paying corruption, how you pillaged the island talent, ruined their unions nearly completely and thinly veiled it as ''scholarships''

Wow! Some real anger and bitterness there. Did a kiwi shag your missus or run over your cat? Its pretty clear that there is no point in even discussing the BS you brought because you aren't interested in facts. You opinion is skewed by blind hatred.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭partyguinness

I think what we see with Ireland stylistically is that they fall between two bar stools so to speak.

You have the NZ, Wales, Argentina (1997 & 2015) and Japans of the world- fast, nippy, more natural ball players.

On the other side you have the SA and England- big, burly brute force with lethal wingers.

Ireland do not fall into either camp. So I believe the the usual reaction and talk about jettisoning players is over blown- it is far deeper than that and a cultural issue that strikes at the root and branch of rugby in this country. Quite simply Irish rugby players are not raised to be natural ball players- you cannot manufacture new players or change that in a few years.

Wow! Some real anger and bitterness there. Did a kiwi shag your missus or run over your cat? Its pretty clear that there is no point in even discussing the BS you brought because you aren't interested in facts. You opinion is skewed by blind hatred.

Shutup

I just don't like cheating, besides I can say exactly what I want within the rules

You calling it hatred or whatever is your opinion - and I'm not interested in your opinions (whatsoever)

Quite simply Irish rugby players are not raised to be natural ball players-

Quite simply that is absolute complete and utter b**locks

We have fantastic natural skills from kids playing GAA

Our aerial skills are fantastic, on a par with anyones

That performance was a deeply rooted issue to do with all sorts of things, mostly about the coach, it had NOTHING to do with natural skill levels whatsoever

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

I think what we see with Ireland stylistically is that they fall between two bar stools so to speak.

You have the NZ, Wales, Argentina (1997 & 2015) and Japans of the world- fast, nippy, more natural ball players.

On the other side you have the SA and England- big, burly brute force with lethal wingers.

Ireland do not fall into either camp. So I believe the the usual reaction and talk about jettisoning players is over blown- it is far deeper than that and a cultural issue that strikes at the root and branch of rugby in this country. Quite simply Irish rugby players are not raised to be natural ball players- you cannot manufacture new players or change that in a few years.
    I dont think Irish players are not raised to be natural ball players but think whole set up of age grade doesnt help things and I wouldnt say its anywhere near as simple as us falling between those strands of the game.
    Shutup

I just don't like cheating, besides I can say exactly what I want within the rules

You calling it hatred or whatever is your opinion - and I'm not interested in your opinions (whatsoever)
    that is so petty. How do you debate anything like this. Every team cheats. Its he nature of the sport and considering the laws of the game. Playing the officials is what you do to win.

That performance was a deeply rooted issue to do with all sorts of things, mostly about the coach, it had NOTHING to do with natural skill levels whatsoever
    it isnt mostly about the coach and was considerable amount of Irish players who had little or limited exposure to gaa and considering schmidt when he came to leinster states skills were a big issue for him then its clear skills levels are a factor.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭partyguinness

Exposure to Gaa...😂😂you cannot be serious. That’s delusional.

When has an Irish team ever in the past 30 years played with the sort of natural ball playing flair seen by the likes of wales, France, the AB and now even japan? Never.

Now suddenly the GAA is responsible for the Irish rugby players ball skills - don’t make me laugh. Too late. Go back to bed and sleep off the anger. Good man.

Shutup

Ok mate. I'll bite. If you can, put aside the BOD accident and please educate me on all the cheating the ABs have done.

While you're at it, can you expand on your other allegations about ref corruption and pillaging the islands. I have no idea what you're talking about in regards to the former and I'm curious if you can actually put together a factual argument on the latter.

Also, out of curiosity, are you South African?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,998 ✭✭✭AbusesToilets

https://twitter.com/brettruganalyst/status/1186587468671442945

https://twitter.com/brettruganalyst/status/1186588097900941313

https://twitter.com/brettruganalyst/status/1186588803517075457

If one wasn't feeling frustrated enough with Saturdays showing, a nice demonstration on how we could've come away with scores, but for failing to execute.

Advertisement