Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to beat the All Blacks?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

The Ruck
    - Attack through and around fringes of the ruck

Australia with Nic White got great yards from this.

I expect Murray to have another go here.
    & a few of D POWER PLAYS

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,470 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

reg114 wrote: »
    Throw in the fact we have never beaten the ABs in a competitive game and you see the task at hand.

We've played them once in a world cup. We have never played South Africa in a real match according to some people. People need to get over this ****e of world cups apparently being the only "competitive" games.

Anyway, of course we can win. It's not all that likely but this is not as strong a NZ team as it has been in the past. Good ball control, eliminate mistakes and keep possession and we'll be on the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,358 ✭✭✭raclle

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

I think the longer we stay in the game the more worried the ABs will be. Our world cup focus is solely on this game whereas the ABs are focused on winning 3 games in a row. I think to win we have to hope they make some stupid moves under pressure (sin bin, red card etc). They will target our key players and rightly so but they wont get away with tackles like the Henshaw one in the brutal game in Dublin after the Chicago win.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,248 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

I think the longer we stay in the game the more worried the ABs will be. Our world cup focus is solely on this game whereas the ABs are focused on winning 3 games in a row. I think to win we have to hope they make some stupid moves under pressure (sin bin, red card etc). They will target our key players and rightly so but they wont get away with tackles like the Henshaw one in the brutal game in Dublin after the Chicago win.

There's never been much between the sides in Schmidt's tenure and I'm expecting it will be the same on Saturday. I guess the one difference to the 4 other tests is that this is in a neutral venue. Of the other 4, 3 were in Lansdowne and Soldier Field was almost like a home game.

(As an aside, iirc, that was Savea on Zebo? Anything even close to that this time and it's almost certainly gonna be called a red.)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭dub_skav

aloooof wrote: »

(As an aside, iirc, that was Savea on Zebo? Anything even close to that this time and it's almost certainly gonna be called a red.)

That was one of them, the hit on Henshaw was by Sam Cane and certainly would draw a card these days

dub_skav wrote: »
    That was one of them, the hit on Henshaw was by Sam Cane and certainly would draw a card these days

Eh? Henshaw tried to headbutt Sam Cane, but missed and hit the shoulder. Red card Henshaw all day long.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭dub_skav

Glass half full time here as I'm a hopeless optimist when it comes to sports :D.
    But, here are my positive views of our situation

- Our game is set up to beat New Zealand, the possession style, our precise kicking, quick line speed. all are designed for a team like NZ
    - Whether they admit it or not, the team have been looking at the World Cup quarter final for at least a year now. I certainly do not believe that losing to Japan was in the plan, but peaking for the quarter final certainly was.
    - I honestly don't think it matters who we play. If we play well we have a chance against anyone, if not we lose. Simple.
    - In this World Cup, when Sexton has played we have looked good. He rounded nicely into form against Samoa and looks ready to go
    - I don't think we've been "holding back moves" as some were speculating / deriding. But, I do think that we have plays / moves / patterns that are tailored to specific opposition and exploiting their tendencies. So, I believe that we will see some "power plays" this weekend, not because they were held back for NZ, but because they were specifically designed for NZ.

I said I was a hopeless optimist, but I do honestly believe that win or lose, the team will hit the ground running and give this game a good rattle.

I'm nervous and excited already. Can't wait for the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭Iscreamkone

Poison them as per 2005?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭partyguinness

dub_skav wrote: »
    Glass half full time here as I'm a hopeless optimist when it comes to sports :D.
    But, here are my positive views of our situation

- Our game is set up to beat New Zealand, the possession style, our precise kicking, quick line speed. all are designed for a team like NZ
    - Whether they admit it or not, the team have been looking at the World Cup quarter final for at least a year now. I certainly do not believe that losing to Japan was in the plan, but peaking for the quarter final certainly was.
    - I honestly don't think it matters who we play. If we play well we have a chance against anyone, if not we lose. Simple.
    - In this World Cup, when Sexton has played we have looked good. He rounded nicely into form against Samoa and looks ready to go
    - I don't think we've been "holding back moves" as some were speculating / deriding. But, I do think that we have plays / moves / patterns that are tailored to specific opposition and exploiting their tendencies. So, I believe that we will see some "power plays" this weekend, not because they were held back for NZ, but because they were specifically designed for NZ.

I said I was a hopeless optimist, but I do honestly believe that win or lose, the team will hit the ground running and give this game a good rattle.

I'm nervous and excited already. Can't wait for the weekend.

Look, we will have none of that type of positive talk around here. It's doom and gloom from now until the next WC in 4 years. It's too much to bear.

In fact why bother even playing. Just put us all out of our misery now.

• Advertisement

I think we can all agree that Hansen coming out with "Joe does lots of study, I might be able to set up him" means he's worried about some patented Joe Schmidt power-plays. :pac:

People getting a tad carried away here citing previous victories against the All Blacks as proof of our ability to win on Saturday. Can i remind people that the Ireland team of 2019 is a quantum leap away from that of 2018. Not only are our key players under performing but our style of play which might have been well honed and effective a year ago no longer challenges opposing teams. In short we have failed to evolve. Throw in the fact we have never beaten the ABs in a competitive game and you see the task at hand. Beating the ABs in a friendly is terrific but beating the best team on the planet in a world cup quarter final off the back of an appalling run of poor form this year is frankly not going to happen.

The Kiwis were chastened against us in Lansdowne road last year because we terrorised them on our home turf. Retallic and co are not going to roll over again. Too many of our squad are playing with low confidence and mediocre levels of speed and intensity to enable us to beat the ABs. When I watched the japanese yesterday I saw a style of play that Ireland can only dream of matching. The pace , power and intensity of their play was an absolute joy. Ireland are nowhere remotely near that level of passion or play.

My prediction , the first 20 minutes will be close after which the ABs will pull away. Might i remind people Ireland have never won a game they trailed at half time under joe, so his game will be won in the first half. Im expecting the ABs to win by a clear 3 tries.

How to undermine your argument in rugby; talk about friendlies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

May I point out if should be "How to beat New Zealand"

it really really pisses them off when you dont call them the AB's.....watch the Aussies and they do it all the time. very rarely will you hear them refer to AB's.

Anyway if anything NZ are more vulnerable than ever. A fairly poor Australia side hammered them. even before the red card Aus had them on the ropes. They had lost the head and in the play before the red card should of really got a yellow. The return result was pointless as Aus couldn't hold onto the ball in the rain. Someone mentioned it raining but that is the on thing Ireland does not want. If it is lashing rain I would epect NZ to win easy

In terms of how to beat, a number of ways as shown by Ireland, SA and Aus again recently. England as well should have beaten them. In the Chicago match Joe went with a very attacking game and it worked but in the most recent game it was based on holding possession.

In the WC so far Ireland have tried to be more attacking and are hitting less rucks.

I think the biggest thing is hold out the first 10-20 min wave that will come.NZ will try and hammer us and be out of sight by half time. We need to hold them out, no aimless kicks etc.

My starting team
    Healy, Best, Furlong, Ryan, Henderson, Ruddock, VDF, Stander, Murray, Sexton, Conway, Henshaw, Ringrose, Earls, Kearney

Subs: Kilcoyne, Scannel, Ryan, POM, Larmour, McGrath, Carbery

People getting a tad carried away here citing previous victories against the All Blacks as proof of our ability to win on Saturday. Can i remind people that the Ireland team of 2019 is a quantum leap away from that of 2018. Not only are our key players under performing but our style of play which might have been well honed and effective a year ago no longer challenges opposing teams. In short we have failed to evolve. Throw in the fact we have never beaten the ABs in a competitive game and you see the task at hand. Beating the ABs in a friendly is terrific but beating the best team on the planet in a world cup quarter final off the back of an appalling run of poor form this year is frankly not going to happen.

The Kiwis were chastened against us in Lansdowne road last year because we terrorised them on our home turf. Retallic and co are not going to roll over again. Too many of our squad are playing with low confidence and mediocre levels of speed and intensity to enable us to beat the ABs. When I watched the japanese yesterday I saw a style of play that Ireland can only dream of matching. The pace , power and intensity of their play was an absolute joy. Ireland are nowhere remotely near that level of passion or play.

My prediction , the first 20 minutes will be close after which the ABs will pull away. Might i remind people Ireland have never won a game they trailed at half time under joe, so his game will be won in the first half. Im expecting the ABs to win by a clear 3 tries.

Incorrect....

Wales where in front of Ireland and lost the game :D

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭reg114

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    Incorrect....

Wales where in front of Ireland and lost the game :D

The most recent Wales match ?

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭reg114

How to undermine your argument in rugby; talk about friendlies.

Thats it ignore everything else Ive said in my post.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 359 ✭✭NeonWolf

aloooof wrote: »
    There's never been much between the sides in Schmidt's tenure and I'm expecting it will be the same on Saturday. I guess the one difference to the 4 other tests is that this is in a neutral venue. Of the other 4, 3 were in Lansdowne and Soldier Field was almost like a home game.

It was Malakai Fekitoa.

The most recent Wales match ?

Correct

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

Ireland can bring all the intensity they want. They can get as fired up as a bunch of Travellers in a Youtube call out video. It won't matter because Ireland doesn't have the pace or the skill to compete with the ABs. And if its close with 20 minutes to go, a good proper high tackle on Sexton to take him out of the game and the match is won.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,171 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

Yeah_Right wrote: »
    Ireland can bring all the intensity they want. They can get as fired up as a bunch of Travellers in a Youtube call out video. It won't matter because Ireland doesn't have the pace or the skill to compete with the ABs. And if its close with 20 minutes to go, a good proper high tackle on Sexton to take him out of the game and the match is won.
    So you're predicting a red card for NZ?

• Advertisement

prawnsambo wrote: »

It's part of the game plan. They deliberately played with 14 men against Tonga in preparation for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,171 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

Basil3 wrote: »
    It's part of the game plan. They deliberately played with 14 men against Tonga in preparation for it.
    Funny you should say that. :D

Thats it ignore everything else Ive said in my post.

Frankly I'm not bothered when your being so overly negative and your premise is that we've never beaten NZ in a competitive game. You'll be gone when the world cup is over.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,639 ✭✭✭Jump_In_Jack

Hansen interview is interesting.
    https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/rugby/international/steve-hansen-on-joe-schmidt-i-might-be-able-to-set-him-up-1.4049728
    Referring to when we beat them recently, and looking forward to Saturday.
    “Big difference here is it is a do or die game for both teams.”

Also, this is interesting.
    “We know that Joe does a lot of study. That can be a strength and a weakness. I might be able to set him up.”

All in all, Hansen is laying the grounds for our biggest ever triumph.

New Zealand can have absolutely no excuses now if Ireland beat them.
    May the better team win.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

prawnsambo wrote: »

Like Kilkenny teams of yore, they play on and over the edge of physically dominating the opposition. Who's reffing and what will they tolerate?

Anyone have any thoughts on what difference having Beauden Barrett at FB will bring to the game? He's cut us open before (thinking the 2016 game in the Aviva after Chicago) so I'm a bit concerned with him having even more space. Still think his kicking can be suspect on occasion tho.

He'll be even more dangerous as he's got more time to think.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,615 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Gonad wrote: »
    You know yourself playing these lads is always heart in mouth stuff from start to finish . So yes I would take that no problem :)

I cant see this game as being very heart in mouth, I think the ABs will be out of sight by the 60th minute. Its hard to see us being close to them in the final stages given we looked wrecked vs. Japan and Russia in the closing stages.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,407 ✭✭✭Wailin

Barnes to referee the game according to today fm. Very happy with that, Gardner would have been our worst nightmare.

• Advertisement

Wailin wrote: »
    Barnes to referee the game according to today fm. Very happy with that, Gardner would have been our worst nightmare.
    I remember not liking Barnes years ago when he used to time and time again penalize us at the ruck and quick to blow for a pen but he's been quite good in this tournament. I wish there was more consistency though as each ref has diff views it seems.

Advertisement