Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Tusk's Walrus - Le Reveal

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

Green&Red wrote: »
    This is the best song you've revealed so far IMO, love it

Jesus the nerves would kill, don't want to be in the bottom 6!

Reckon I'm in the bottom 1 for all categories :D

I didn't enter but loving the reveal. I really liked Stu's factory flame. Chill and calming. Reminds me of something but I can't quite remember..

Also really liked fixxxers therapy? Got kicks and the Brandi Carlile one is a song I'd definitely sing along to (very very badly).

As for skunks Titanic flute?? Haha, amusement is a legit emotion!

I might have entered Johnny Cash, Hurt for this.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,882 ✭✭✭tusk

Aaaaaand we're back. Tea and toastie at the ready.

Was Not Was -
    Banjo
    up next with 6 points for Arcade Fire - Intervention

Notes

Listen1: i like the lyrics, but the music and your mans' voice didn't really do it for me.

Listen2: yep, i'm liking this. Feels christmassy. I remember my first listen thinking it sounded christmassy, but i don't think i mentioned that. The little bell bit is very offputting though. ah, as i get into it a bit more, I like it less :/

Necro wrote: »
    Not as scary as when Strawbs gets a boat :eek:

:D (Luff ya Strawbs)

I think I should keep my helicopter story to myself now.

The Syndicate - AKA
    Necro
    scooping up 22 points with Don't Cry by Guns N Roses

Notes:

Listen1: Love this song. One of Guns n Roses' best I would think. Not much else to say. super tune, but I've heard it enough to keep it away from top spots.

Listen2: Choon.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,404 ✭✭✭✭sKeith

I think I should keep my helicopter story to myself now.

Is that when you were in your bunny juggling phase?

Can’t listen to songs but don’t cry brings back memories

Of a complete and utter bastard that I wouldn’t piss on if he were on fire!

This round really does do what it says on the tin.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,010 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Well.... boy am I glad I didn't submit Don't Cry to Strawbs Walrus :/

Sounds horrible, Strawbs :(

Moving swiftly on....

Keeping it in the family with The Sttorm Brothers -
    Necrina
    getting 5 points for Jason Mraz - I'm Yours

Notes:

Listen1: Mrs Tusk loves this song. I think it's fine. Nothing special about it. just grand. nice bit of singalong material, but probably overplayed for me now too.

Listen2: Ah I'm not arsed with this now after listening to some of the previous songs. This just doesn't stack up at all. SKIP

• Advertisement

Carry on Tusk, I feel better now.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,010 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Ooof sorry about that Necrina. Welcome to the wacky world of Walrus too

(Better not gloat yet lol, I don't wanna be sleeping in the shed tonight :pac: )

• Registered Users Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭MrKingsley

Some absolute beauties in here and love the comments Tusk

I’m beginning to get worried though.......

I’m yours puts me back into the good mood zone.

Thanks, Necrina :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,667 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

I'm just in from the physio and my song hasn't been.

Tusk, I've just endured half an hour of dry needling and I'm in agony, don't add to my pain... please :p

LSD -
    QB
    Pulls in 23 points for Fountain of Sorrow by Jackson Browne

Notes:

Listen1: i'm into it. i like chord progression. has some great resolution. beautiful solo. nothing mad, but perfectly fits with the song. would definitely listen again, and look up more from this artist

Listen2: I'm feeling it. getting a twinge of eagles off it, which is right up my alley. However, it seems the vocals aren't quite together enough there while they sing together. Solo singer is nice. Music is perfect, some great accents here and there that really elevate the song. that communal singing is bringing it down a bit tho. I like it. mmmmmm. tasty. BUMP IT. Tasty little solo there flowing through into the vocals, always nice, and well done, not overpowering the vocals. Finding myself drumming on my table now. Very good sign haha. Drums are great in this song. Will definitely be looking up more from this artist.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭Pretzill

Great choice Quickbeam! Love a bit of Jackson Browne

Definitely an Eagles vibe there, which is no bad thing :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭Pretzill

Definitely an Eagles vibe there, which is no bad thing :)

He has performed with them, and they came out of the same area really, so that might explain it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,387 ✭✭✭✭Green&Red

What places are we at Tusk?

• Advertisement

Next up, Guardians of Logik -
    Kolidawg
    with Rascal Flats - What hurts the most and 4 points

Notes:

Listen1:Starts off pretty promising. What follows is a bit generic and pop-feeling. I love the violin bit and the main music line, but the vocals let it down to be honest. Solo is a waste of time :/

Listen2: love the guitar intro to this. Then the vocals come in and ruin it for me. Bleh. this could be so good. the vocals don't fit with the music. Feck that's really disappointing. boo! I'm scoring this badly because it hurts me that it could have been amazing based on that intro and it ruined it for me. Nice bit of violin in there tho

Extra note, just watching the video here and had I watched that for original listens, it probably would have bumped it a bit.

Emotion is a strange round in some ways, isn't it?

I love Dakota, Radio Ga Ga and Undertow but don't find any of them particularly emotional. Then Luther Vandross gave me some feels but I didn't love the song itself.

I get what you mean, Undertow is one of my favourite songs of all time but it also links with a particular memory* (not a happy one) so I get a curious mix of goosebumps and sadness any time I hear those opening notes. But it's a very personal thing and not one I'd expect any one else to identify with , and as such I'm quite satisfied with 12 points here.

*think I wrote a little about it in my PM so now it's a beautiful/depressing moment shared only with sKeith. :p

Green&Red wrote: »
    What places are we at Tusk?

Final 3 left at the bottom and just about to do 4th place at the top.

*think I wrote a little about it in my PM so now it's a beautiful/depressing moment shared only with sKeith. :p

and me eventually :D

Really looking forward to the submissions there :D

Kolido is my music spirit animal. I toyed with entering that song myself LOL

You could copy paste for the class ;)

Vectronix -
    Pretzill
    grabbing herself 24 points for Don't Give up by Bush & Gabriel.

Notes:

Listen1:oooh that intro gave me shivers! instant 9. hope it keeps it. Bit of a pump after the initial intro is delish. Bush jumps in and ruins it a bit to be honest. She sounds grand, but it doesn't fit with what came before. Seems like some random dj just decided to clip two different songs together. Gabriel brings it back to amazing straight away though. Ah **** then bush shows up to bring me back down. What a bitch. **** off! Is there a version without her bits? IF so this is an immediate winner for me. 'it's gonna be alright' niiice. The only bit of her's I liked. Jaysus I love Peter Gabriel. What a genius! Feck this is tough. ****ing Kate bush. jaysus sake. This is what it's like to be bipolar i guess? is that the point of this song, to ****ing make me hate myself for wanting to score it so high? What is her part all about? just go away like! Ruined at the end by that chorus of three 'don't give ups'

Listen2: Finger drumming immediately. That intro is delish. Gabriel comes in smooth as butter and then throws a bit of passion in. Beauty. The ****ing kate Bush shows up and ruins it. WTF is she doing here! It feels like waking up from a beautiful dream and realising you're drowning in a pile of donkey ****. I really love Gabriel's voice in this. Bush can **** off! Gabriel belting out the bridge is just something special. He's so underrated it's unreal. what a hero. That beat in the background still going strong until ****ing kate bush comes in and ****s **** up. I actually hate her more than anything in the world right now. HOW DARE SHE! What's with that 'don't give up' bit fading at the end. Weird. Kate bush ruined this for me

I just want to HEAVILY emphasise how fukking BAD kate bush is in this, good god she absolutely butchers the song and it broke my heart both times. Peter Gabriel is immaculate in it and his parts were so fantastic that the song remained high. Without Bush, this could have come first!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,017 ✭✭✭✭adox

Criticising Kate Bush. You are dead to me man. Dead!

Ha ha, I love Peter Gabriel and Kate Bush separately but agree this song was always worse than the sum of its parts, such a shame. Still a class song though

• Advertisement

adox wrote: »
    Criticising Kate Bush. You are dead to me man. Dead!

She's grand, but she doesn't belong in this song. Jesus christ she ruins it so bad. And that's probably not on her, it wouldn't matter who did her bits, it's the bits themselves that ruin it.

Advertisement