Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Zealand vs Ireland RWC Quarter Final,19th October 2019 match thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,759 ✭✭✭P.Walnuts

aloooof wrote: »
    For the craic, presumably?

In any case, sure lookit, we're just happy to be here and we'll see how it goes. (Embracing my inner Deccie there).

Yet mention the haka and suddenly everything gets deadly serious...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

I think we can get this over the line on Saturday.

At various times over the last three years, there have been moments where things have been divisive and looked gloomy. But we are no pro rogues. We are a great country, and cross border cooperation makes us a match for anyone.

We can find a way to take control and deal a blow. We are accustomed to union. We can stop their backs by putting in hard tackles and then going for the soft shoulder. We just need creative, positive, and innovative ways to find a way to do that, and move on. We have the leader now to do that.

Saturday will not be an end of itself, but just brings us to the next stage of the process, where we can also succeed, allowing us to progress, develop, and achieve things against other countries that we have been unable to do in the group structure.

We can clear out, divide, have it, and unlock the victory.

Lets deliver Quarter Final !

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭flatface

Calling it - James Ryan person of the match.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,972 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

P.Walnuts wrote: »
    Like I get you're on a wind up.....the question is why?

I'm not on a wind up. I'm absolutely certain that the ABs will crush Ireland. There's 3 maybe 4 players in the Irish side that could make the ABs. This is knock out sport and Ireland can't handle the pressure. A couple of marginal calls and Sexton will lose his rag. We all know that if Sexton is having a tantrum, Ireland has nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,340 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

This is a side of Yeah Right that we don't see very often.

I prefer normal, moderately placid, non balls-to-the-wall Yeah Right.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,547 ✭✭✭Ardillaun

Niallof9 wrote: »
    If you played New Zealand in five tests they'd bestyou in 3 out of the 5 i reckon.

I’d say more like 9/10 in a good series. A lot of bounces, slips and penalties will also have to go our way for us to have a chance. But unlike them we should have nothing else to think about. The attitude must be that injuries don’t matter now - give it everything - because this is our final, the biggest game many of these players have left in their careers.

This is a side of Yeah Right that we don't see very often.

I prefer normal, moderately placid, non balls-to-the-wall Yeah Right.

I dunno. I'm quite enjoying this version.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,340 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Ah it has it's charms, I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,038 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Let him do what he needs to convince himself his team has a chance. It's kind of adorable.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,603 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

One desperate plea here. But if anyone happens to hear of a ticket or two for this please pm me. Its getting properly squeaky bum time with regards to tickets in Japan.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭mangobob

thebaz wrote: »
    I would just hope this is the arrogant thinking of the All Blacks themselves, somehow I think not

Sadly I don't think this is arrogance at all. I believe its an all too real prospect. But then I am an incurable pessimist, a state engendered by being an Irish rugby fan for just over 3 decades now. That's a lot of disappointment and psychological baggage for a human being to fully process.

As formidable as we can potentially be at the top of our game, we have been miles off our 2018 peak. We are also perennial chokers at this level whereas NZ are the most successful team in WC history. Furthermore although not a vintage AB's team they are still terrifying when they are in full flow. They are about 2 or 3 levels above us in terms of attacking threat and can hurt us from literally anywhere. In contrast offensively we are far less creative, far more laboured and at times utterly predictable.

The truth is, while we have beaten them in 2 of the last 3 encounters, this is a different kettle of fish entirely. We need to be at the absolute pinnacle of our powers, with several players having the game of their lives to turn them over in the quarter final of a world cup. In contrast, if we are even a few percent below our full potential then they will win handily. Kills me to say it, but I actually don't see this being close in the end.

NZ by about 12-15 for me :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭s7ryf3925pivug

NZ to spear-tackle Sexton in the opening minute. Then they'll continue with 15 men on the field and win by a large margin. Then they'll call Sexton a cry-baby.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,306 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Ireland by 5. Close match, but we don't fear them. They can attack from anywhere, but they have to have possession. Think Beirne should have got the nod. POM has been very poor. Experience or not, he's been brutal.
    Anyway, kick for goal! And bury them with garryowens.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,464 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

mangobob wrote: »
    Sadly I don't think this is arrogance at all. I believe its an all too real prospect. But then I am an incurable pessimist, a state engendered by being an Irish rugby fan for just over 3 decades now. That's a lot of disappointment and psychological baggage for a human being to fully process.

As formidable as we can potentially be at the top of our game, we have been miles off our 2018 peak. We are also perennial chokers at this level whereas NZ are the most successful team in WC history. Furthermore although not a vintage AB's team they are still terrifying when they are in full flow. They are about 2 or 3 levels above us in terms of attacking threat and can hurt us from literally anywhere. In contrast offensively we are far less creative, far more laboured and at times utterly predictable.

The truth is, while we have beaten them in 2 of the last 3 encounters, this is a different kettle of fish entirely. We need to be at the absolute pinnacle of our powers, with several players having the game of their lives to turn them over in the quarter final of a world cup. In contrast, if we are even a few percent below our full potential then they will win handily. Kills me to say it, but I actually don't see this being close in the end.

NZ by about 12-15 for me :(
    I really don't think this stuff is true anymore. Teams rarely have 15 players firing on all cylinders either.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭Niallof9

Absolutely no chance we were as long as 30-1. I’d be surprised if we were even as long as 10-1 tbh.

Some kiwi bookmakers had it at 14-1 definitely. Fair enough maybe not that high at 30-1 but I remember joe saying something about odds at the time and thinking it was crazy.

Point being bookies odds mean little against nz they are always favorites

Getting through Friday will be tough

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

I predict Ringrose will have a super game with a few line breaks and a try. He is already playing well especially defensively but I think he will let fly tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Yeah_Right wrote: »
    I understand that sentiment. Personally I think this team should be happy they're even taking the field with the ABs. Let's face it, they were lucky to reach the quarter finals.

Why is an Australian bigging up NZ so much? :confused:

stephen_n wrote: »
    Why is an Australian bigging up NZ so much? :confused:

Speaking of Australia, how do you reckon your boys will go against them tomorrow?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Speaking of Australia, how do you reckon your boys will go against them tomorrow?
    The team from the mainland?

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

As soon as our faith was sealed in getting NZ in the Q4 I felt I lost any excitement/hope for a Q4 victory. It’s seems that way for a lot of other fans too. Hard to see anything but a sound NZ win here, anything else would be totally against the run of play.

Reading all the optimistic posts here have me getting nervous though.. damn you all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭dub_skav

P.Walnuts wrote: »
    Like I get your on a wind up.....the question is why?

Yeah_Right has had to face the uncomfortable fact that the usual NZ style of indifferent arrogance did not work 2 of the last 3 times they played us.

So, much like NZ themselves, he is changing his approach for this encounter. Going away from the style that brought so much success in a desperate effort to match up to the team / forum that has their / his number.

It's cute really, bless.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 277 ✭✭Danthemanhere

dub_skav wrote: »
    Yeah_Right has had to face the uncomfortable fact that the usual NZ style of indifferent arrogance did not work 2 of the last 3 times they played us.

So, much like NZ themselves, he is changing his approach for this encounter. Going away from the style that brought so much success in a desperate effort to match up to the team / forum that has their / his number.

It's cute really, bless.

:pac: As the youth would say; dubskav is triggered!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,606 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

mangobob wrote: »

(

Confidense is great for any sport, arrogance is not - the beauty of knock-out rugby is anything can happen - a player gets sent off early/ a refereeing decision - it is highly unlikly Ireland will win, but ther is a chance; the New Zealand team wont be arrogant , but they may have one eye on the semi , like us in '11 , and maybe and hopefully Ireland can capitilise on that , unlikely, but why I love sport is the unlikely can happen - especially in knock out sport.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,438 ✭✭✭kuang1

Real sense of quiet before the storm this morning...
    Can't wait for tomorrow morning's entertainment.

I love this rendition of the Haka. The crowd's response was a perfect mix of defiance and respect imo.

I don't think the ABs will have an eye on the semifinal. Your boys ensured that with the win in the Aviva last November. I said it last year, vengeance is coming.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,307 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

I don't think the ABs will have an eye on the semifinal. Your boys ensured that with the win in the Aviva last November. I said it last year, Venjur was coming.

Fixed that for you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,981 ✭✭✭Naggdefy

New Zealand are marginally the most successful WC team. 3/8 WC victories, 37.5%.

South Africa next on 2/6 victories, 33%.

Australia on 2/8 victories, 25%.

England on 1/8 victories, 12.5 %.

New Zealand won 2 of their 3 WCs at home, 1987 and crawling over the line 8-7 v France in 2011. In 1991 they were destroyed by Australia in the semi. Got a dose of the scutters when heavy favourites in the 1995 final. Imploded twice against France in 1999 and 2007. Were bang average in the 2003 tournament.

These fellas are far from invincible in World Cups. To add to that it's New Zealand's main sport. Imagine if all GAA talent was channelled into rugby here. All Blacks me arse. It's all a myth. Take them on and test their fcuking pulse.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,355 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

Naggdefy wrote: »
    New Zealand are marginally the most successful WC team. 3/8 WC victories, 37.5%.

South Africa next on 2/6 victories, 33%.

Australia on 2/8 victories, 25%.

England on 1/8 victories, 12.5 %.

New Zealand won 2 of their 3 WCs at home, 1987 and crawling over the line 8-7 v France in 2011. In 1991 they were destroyed by Australia in the semi. Got a dose of the scutters when heavy favourites in the 1995 final. Imploded twice against France in 1999 and 2007. Were bang average in the 2003 tournament.

These fellas are far from invincible in World Cups. To add to that it's New Zealand's main sport. Imagine if all GAA talent was channelled into rugby here. All Blacks me arse. It's all a myth. Take them on and test their fcuking pulse.

I've heard a few people calling us chokers over the last while, but that's exactly the description that was leveled at NZ until 2011. We will break our QF ceiling at some stage. What a way it would be to do it against the current champions!

I'd be delighted for Schmidt if we managed it. The guys a class act, even more so you consider some of his peers.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,020 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

I'd be delighted for Schmidt if we managed it. The guys a class act, even more so you consider some of his peers.

Big time, whatever about the players, fans, Irish Rugby, I think for all that Joe has done over his time in Ireland for Irish Rugby it really would be the ultimate and deserved reward. Can you imagine the scrutinising, planning and work he has done over the last 4 years building up to this, I would just love for him, for us to win tomorrow and for him to enjoy (even for 2 minutes)!

Come on Ireland!!

(Starting to think someone at home has been slipping something in my coffee this week :D)

Advertisement